Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2017, 23:32   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: D.I.Y. Install: LED Footwell Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
But the switch would not control the puddle lamps - would they? Any idea for that?
You mean the cabin lamp switch?

If yes, instead of tapping the -ve from socket, you should get it from the cabin lamp bulb itself (in other words, somewhere on the metal strip circuit after the switch till it reaches the bulb)

EDIT:

Something like this

Details here

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 9th March 2017 at 23:35. Reason: Links added
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 19:54   #32
BHPian

Neatly executed and well scripted DIY, Anurag, I too have Led smd (icy blue ones) installed in my civic, but I went little crazy by installing in the side pockets, under the seats also and with the dimming effect it feels quite surreal, in a pleasant way ofcourse.

Regards
Kunal
Attached Thumbnails
D.I.Y. Install: LED Footwell Lighting-20170310_195202.jpg  

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 10th March 2017 at 20:17. Reason: Fixed a typo.
kunal_kaushal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 20:49   #33
BHPian

Just a humble suggestion, wouldn't using amber coloured led gel seamlessly with the amber lighting of instrument cluster, present in most of vehicles from Maruti's stable, as it will create more cohesive interiors lighting through out the cabin.

I am attaching a pic of my Ritz interior for your kind perusal, kindly excuse the poor quality of picture as it was snapped by mobile camera.

Regards
kunal
Attached Thumbnails
D.I.Y. Install: LED Footwell Lighting-ritz-interior-lights.jpg  

kunal_kaushal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 07:50   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
To avoid cutting the OE harness, you may use 'Single to double horn' harness (reference shown below, comes with Minda twin horns) available in 2 wheeler spares shop. OR make one yourself with the end connectors easily available.

Attachment 1616960
Hunting for the "Single to double horn harness" is like hunting for the Yeti (not Skoda Yeti. Well, maybe that too ) - nobody knows where it is. So I decided to make one myself.

D.I.Y. Install: LED Footwell Lighting-20170320_092329.jpg
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 09:03   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Hunting for the "Single to double horn harness" is like hunting for the Yeti (not Skoda Yeti. Well, maybe that too ) - nobody knows where it is. So I decided to make one myself.
That's a good one.
If you are looking for 'theater dimming' effect, I hope the +ve also to be taken from the cabin lamp, otherwise you may get it with a regular fuse tap.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 09:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a good one.
If you are looking for 'theater dimming' effect, I hope the +ve also to be taken from the cabin lamp, otherwise you may get it with a regular fuse tap.
Oh. I think I confused the +ve and -ve terminals. I was planning to ground each puddle lamp to the respective doors. But after going though your post again, I realise that instead, I just have to create one more "double harness" for the +ve.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2017, 22:27   #37
BHPian

Hi all,

This is the pic of my Figo's cabin lamp. From which wire should I take connection for LED footwell light ? I'll be using a strip of LED on driver as well as passenger side. Thanks in advance.

D.I.Y. Install: LED Footwell Lighting-img_20170401_151020864x1152.jpg
Sabareesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2017, 22:58   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
This is the pic of my Figo's cabin lamp. From which wire should I take connection for LED footwell light ? I'll be using a strip of LED on driver as well as passenger side.
It is same as Ford Aspire, refer the posts corresponding to samaspire's wiring.
Green : +ve (direct)
Yellow & Black-Yellow : -ve (one from door switch & other is direct)

Case 1:
If you prefer to have foot well lamps operated only when the doors are opened,
- take the +ve from fuse box (with fuse tap)
- grab the -ve signal from door switch

Case 2:
If the foot well lamps should sync with the cabin lamp (along with theater dimming)
- Tap both +ve & -ve from the strip that supplies power to the bulb (refer my Sunny Foot well lamp thread)

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 1st April 2017 at 23:02.
Old 3rd April 2017, 00:21   #39
BHPian

I have a silly query , What happens if a led strip gets power input from two different sources at the same time ? Actually I have music controlled Led strips installed in my car and I am planning to connect them with the dome lights just like the diagram I have attached below . ( only Red color will be powered via dome lights )
There will be 3 situations :

CASE 1 : When Dome lights on Leds On . No issues !

CASE 2 : When remote of music controller is used to powers Leds, they turn on . No issues ! ( Will use diodes to prevent back flow of current to dome lights so that while music is on dome light doesnt turn on. )

CASE 3 : This is my confusion point. What happens if the leds are on via power from music controller and I open the door ? [ ie they will get power from both sources at the same time .]
Attached Thumbnails
D.I.Y. Install: LED Footwell Lighting-untitled1.jpg  

Old 3rd April 2017, 08:51   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathur2012 View Post
CASE 3 : This is my confusion point. What happens if the leds are on via power from music controller and I open the door ? [ ie they will get power from both sources at the same time .]
Ideally the LED gets power from both cases, but I'm not sure will it affect the Music controller circuit. Safe bet is to add a diode in the circuit (which restricts the power supply from cabin lamp reaching the music controller)
Old 3rd April 2017, 09:08   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Ideally the LED gets power from both cases, but I'm not sure will it affect the Music controller circuit. Safe bet is to add a diode in the circuit (which restricts the power supply from cabin lamp reaching the music controller)
Yes, I will be using diodes in both lines to restrict back flow of power supply to dome light as well as music controller but I am asking will the LEDs function properly if they get power supply from dome light as well as from music controller at the same time ? Or will they get damaged due to the added power being supplied from two sources at same time ?
Old 12th January 2018, 17:32   #42
BHPian

I had ordered these LEDs to use as footwell lights in my car. The colour is supposed to change through an app connected via Bluetooth. But the receiver is rejecting Bluetooth pairing. Does anyone have any experience with a similar setup? Any reason why is it not pairing with the phone?

D.I.Y. Install: LED Footwell Lighting-utb8p5u7sarfxkjk43ovq6ybnpxax.jpg
Old 14th January 2018, 10:50   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
I had ordered these LEDs to use as footwell lights in my car. The colour is supposed to change through an app connected via Bluetooth. But the receiver is rejecting Blueto
Check on product's description page for PIN. Possibly you are entering wrong PIN. IF it still fails contact seller.
Old 14th January 2018, 23:49   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathur2012 View Post
Check on product's description page for PIN. Possibly you are entering wrong PIN. IF it still fails contact seller.
It didn't ask for a pin at all.

Anyway, I managed to pair it with my old Android phone but a flash occurred and the LEDs aren't working any longer. The LEDs flicker just once when I switch on the power supply and then die entirely. Have raised a claim and looking to return them.
Old 15th January 2018, 00:04   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
It didn't ask for a pin at all.

Anyway, I managed to pair it with my old Android phone but a flash occurred and the LEDs aren't working any longer. The LEDs flicker just once when I switch on the power supply and then die entirely. Have raised a claim and looking to return them.
You'll get the refund without returning them.

Perhaps the controller is faulty, after the refund is initiated, remove controller from circuit and check LEDs with a 12v supply, if they are good you can get a RGB controller with remote from local market in 60 INR. Connect your LEDs to that and you are good to go.

Don't throw away the controller, you can scavenge it for parts for future DIYs.
mathur2012 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks