Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2017, 10:44   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
Wow! Thats an amazing DIY. I will definitely do it on my Polo. Wanted to ask if the boot lid operation remains the same as original, i.e by pressing the logo. Also, wont the camera be spoiled with the fingers each time you do so?
Thank you for the kind words, Akash! Boot lid open function remains same as original. You can flip the logo and open the boot, or long press on the key fob and open the boot. When you open the boot, the camera is not exposed. The camera is below the plastic spring loaded flap (check the picture on the first post). It only comes out when reverse gear is engaged. All the best with the install

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post
Man this is an awesome. I wasn't even aware that there was something called as "flip camera". This is so cool and must surely be a head turner when you reverse during driving. Fantastic job
Thank you for the kind words vw19d! Yes. This is a very cool feature indeed. Not sure if people notice the logo flipping open though
Old 18th January 2017, 14:12   #17
BHPian

re: Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3

Like your other diys, neatness of the installation is very good. You never would've got this finish if you had assigned the installation job to an 'expert' of our land. The field of vision of the camera is very good, that alone makes it worth the effort, more than the fancy associated with the flip action.

Last edited by crdi : 18th January 2017 at 14:18.
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 14:18   #18
BHPian

Great work !! It looks so cool and you did make the effort to work out the details

Just a question : can you use this during monsoons ? Did you do any sort of checks for water-proofing and general contamination built up ?
prateekvidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 14:36   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Like your other diys, neatness of the installation is very good. You never would've got this finish if you had assigned the installation job to an 'expert' of our land. The field of vision of the camera is very good, that alone makes it worth the effort, more than the fancy associated with the flip action.
Thank you very much for the kind words, crdi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekvidya View Post
Great work !! It looks so cool and you did make the effort to work out the details

Just a question : can you use this during monsoons ? Did you do any sort of checks for water-proofing and general contamination built up ?
Thank you very much for the kind words.

Very good question about water proofing. I have not yet done checks for water proofing. I have added a rubber washer to prevent water from seeping inside and believe it should work well in monsoons. There is a water drain pipe in the camera. But Polo does not have a water drain channel in the boot. I am looking into this to figure out if anything can be done about this. Will update the thread when I have a solution.
Old 18th January 2017, 18:43   #20
BHPian

Amazing job this is!

I went through the whole post inch by inch and it is such an amazing artifact. This will be a tough DIY install to top. Great detail and execution. Its time to buy a polo now
ramgkulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 21:27   #21
BHPian

This is super level of perfection and does not look like a DIY at all. Amazing levels of sophistication!!
It does add a lot of value to the GT overall and the before/after pics clearly show that the effort was worth it.

After reading through GT threads (this was one of my shortlisted cars until I bought the Grand i10 Auto), I believe this is the greatest of all mod-friendly car around in India right now!
So many things one can achieve and make it almost at par with the European counterparts...

Huge thumbs up
adneeraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 01:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Superb DIY Graaja

Neatly done as seen on a factory finished Passat

How did you manage to get the dynamic moving lines which respond to steering inputs while reversing?
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 05:48   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramgkulkarni View Post
Amazing job this is!

I went through the whole post inch by inch and it is such an amazing artifact. This will be a tough DIY install to top. Great detail and execution. Its time to buy a polo now
Thank you for your kind words ramgkulkarni!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneeraj View Post
This is super level of perfection and does not look like a DIY at all. Amazing levels of sophistication!!
It does add a lot of value to the GT overall and the before/after pics clearly show that the effort was worth it.

After reading through GT threads (this was one of my shortlisted cars until I bought the Grand i10 Auto), I believe this is the greatest of all mod-friendly car around in India right now!
So many things one can achieve and make it almost at par with the European counterparts...

Huge thumbs up
Thank you for your kind words Neeraj! Yes. Polo is one of the best mod friendly cars. Every mod I do, I tell myself this is the last one. But something else keeps coming up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Superb DIY Graaja

Neatly done as seen on a factory finished Passat

How did you manage to get the dynamic moving lines which respond to steering inputs while reversing?
Thank you for your kind word ecosport_rules! The dynamic guidelines are in-built in the DS611 HU that I have installed. It reads the steering angle from the CAN bus and controls the guidelines.
Old 19th January 2017, 10:44   #24

Oh Man! What a DIY. Exemplary work.

The way the plan is drafted and executed shows great skills and not to forget the laser cuts and the rubber seals.
CSharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 11:18   #25
BHPian

Ganeshji,

Awesome. Look forward to seeing this live very soon

Cheers!
Krish
krishsreedharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 16:56   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharma View Post
Oh Man! What a DIY. Exemplary work.

The way the plan is drafted and executed shows great skills and not to forget the laser cuts and the rubber seals.
Thank you for the kind words CSharma!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishsreedharan View Post
Ganeshji,

Awesome. Look forward to seeing this live very soon

Cheers!
Krish
Sure Krishji. Let us catch up during the weekend mini meet
Old 19th January 2017, 17:03   #27
BHPian

Re: Installed: VW Flip Camera on Polo GT TSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Part 6 - Final Result:

Overall, a very satisfying DIY job as this involved some mechanical problems to be solved, and I was able to do a clean install without resorting to some crude jugaad. Also, I think this is one of the coolest mods that can be done on the GT.

That’s all I have folks on the VW flip camera installation on the Polo GT Tsi.
Fantastic work Graaja and a very well detailed in terms of the steps. I can see that you are a perfectionist, which is also important from the maintenance perspective.

Can this be adapted to a dedicated display, if the appropriate HU is not installed?
AutoSphere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 17:09   #28
Team-BHP Support

Re: Installed: VW Flip Camera on Polo GT TSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
Fantastic work Graaja and a very well detailed in terms of the steps. I can see that you are a perfectionist, which is also important from the maintenance perspective.

Can this be adapted to a dedicated display, if the appropriate HU is not installed?
Thank you for the kind words AutoSphere!

Yes. It should definitely be possible to adapt this to a dedicated display. The camera has an RCA pin for the video signal. I am sure the dedicated display also would have a video input. There is also a small red wire along with the RCA pin that can be used as a trigger to turn on the dedicated display when reverse gear is engaged.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 22:22   #29
BHPian

Wonderful, this is something innovative. This must be first of its kind of implementation of reverse camera.
HalfOctave is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 17:57   #30
BHPian

That is super cool!

Congrats for the successful DIY, and thanks for sharing!
ishankpatel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks