Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2017, 07:17   #31
BHPian

re: Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3

What a perfectly executed DIY! I wonder how people would react in parking lots when you engage that reverse gear . I have ordered the same camera from the same seller and now I am impatiently waiting for it to arrive. Will post my final results here also.

Thanks again for the DIY and suggesting another mod for the car.
navdeep.rana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2017, 20:48   #32
Team-BHP Support

re: Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep.rana View Post
What a perfectly executed DIY! I wonder how people would react in parking lots when you engage that reverse gear . I have ordered the same camera from the same seller and now I am impatiently waiting for it to arrive. Will post my final results here also.

Thanks again for the DIY and suggesting another mod for the car.
Thank you for the kind words

Last week, I changed the mounting bracket to a much better OEM setup and also installed the water draining pipe. This is very important to have a trouble free setup.

I will document this in detail in the next few days.
Old 13th March 2017, 07:55   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Thank you for the kind words

Last week, I changed the mounting bracket to a much better OEM setup and also installed the water draining pipe. This is very important to have a trouble free setup.

I will document this in detail in the next few days.
That's amazing! Would be waiting to see new setup of yours. Is the new mounting something you ordered from AliExpress or got built yourself?
Old 13th March 2017, 10:37   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That's amazing! Would be waiting to see new setup of yours. Is the new mounting something you ordered from AliExpress or got built yourself?
I got one from Europe. I have plans to create a mechanical drawing of this component (when I get some time), and make it available to everyone. You can get this fabricated for less than 500 bucks if you go to a fabricator who can do laser cutting on sheet metal from a CAD drawing.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 22:08   #35
Team-BHP Support

Custom Adapter Plate and Water Drain Install

There were two issues with the flip camera install that I had to resolve.

1. The adapter plate and the rubber seal made the camera to go inside by 2.5mm. Because of this, there was a shadow cast by the cavity (inside which the camera is fixed) on the bottom edge of the video. The solution was to use a custom adapter plate which clamps the camera to the body so that the camera sits flush with the cavity.
2. I had not installed the water drainage tube. This was a must before monsoon where water can get into the camera and drain into the boot.

Custom Adapter Plate:

The adapter plate that I had made earlier plus the rubber seal resulted in the camera going in by 2.5mm. This created a dark shadow at the bottom edge of the video. This was however covered by the caution message. But still this was reducing the field of view of the camera. While communicating with another DIY enthusiast (forum handle ciclo) in the UK Polos forum, he mentioned that he had designed an adapter that would solve the problem and he could send me one. The adapter cost 30 Euros. I saved the shipping cost as he shipped it along with the wiring harness he had made for me for the OE BiXenon and BCM upgrade - documented here.

The same adapter plate is also sold in carplay.pl website for 30 Euros.

Link to adapter plate

I and three other fellow GT TSi owners who had gone for flip cameras decided to share the cost of the adapter plate and make duplicates. I gave the original adapter to a fabricator and he reproduced the component by laser cutting sheet metal and powder coating it for a neat finish. The cost of this duplicate component worked out to be INR 360. I am trying to get an AutoCad drawing made for the adapter plate. Once I have it, I will post the CAD file. Anyone who wants the adapter can make this from any sheet metal fabricator who does laser cut components from CAD file.

Picture of the original and the four duplicates.
Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3-adapters.jpg

Fixing the Adapter Plate and Water Drainage Pipe:

Remove these four screws in the camera.
Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3-remove-screws.jpg

The camera assembly comes free of the base. Unplug the 2 pin connecter (marked in the picture)
Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3-unplug-connector.jpg

Place the adapter plate like this on the camera base.
Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3-fix-adapter-base.jpg

Fix it to the hatch.
Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3-fix-hatch.jpg

Lets take a small deviation:

This step is very important. During the installation, I found that there was water leakage from the joint where drain pipe assembly mates to the camera base.
Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3-leaks-here.jpg

Remove this plastic piece from the camera base.
Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3-plastic-piece.jpg

Apply araldite in the inside edge of the piece. Very Important: Be careful that the glue does not fill the pipe and hence block water flow.
Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3-araldite-1.jpg

Apply araldite in the insde edge where the piece mates with the camera base.
Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3-araldite-2.jpg

Fix the drainage pipe assembly using the two screws. Once the araldite sets, this will be perfectly sealed and there will be no water leakage.

Lets continue:

After fixing the adapter plate, fix the camera using the 4 screws and plug the 2 pin connector. I did not take a picture of this step.

Next we need to make two holes to route the drain pipe. Drill a 9mm hole on the edge of the hatch.
Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3-drill-hatch.jpg

Drill another 9 mm hole inside the hatch close to the drain pipe. This picture shows a transparent tube that I used for trial fit.
Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3-drill-inside.jpg

Route the black drain pipe that comes with the camera through these two holes and connect the inside end to the drain pipe. I used a stiff wire routed through the holes as a fishing line to pull the drain pipe through.
Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3-connect-drain-pipe-inside.jpg

On the other side of the pipe, push the rubber grommet so that it perfectly sits in the hole that we made on the edge of the hatch.
Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3-route-pipe-out.jpg

Cut the extra length of tube.
Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3-trim-pipe.jpg

Close everything. The water drainage assembly is ready.

Below video shows the water draining out through the pipe and flowing over the boot lip.

With this, the camera installation is complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekvidya View Post
Just a question : can you use this during monsoons ? Did you do any sort of checks for water-proofing and general contamination built up ?
Finally, got an answer to your question

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th March 2017 at 17:33. Reason: Adding links etc, as requested via PM :)
graaja is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 02:52   #36
BHPian

I have ordered my camera from the same seller and he shipped it today. Will definitely follow these steps right from beginning while installing the flip camera.

PS.:- You forgot to add links in few places!
Old 16th March 2017, 10:47   #37
Senior - BHPian

Re: Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate and Water Drain on Page

Quote:
Next we need to make two holes to route the drain pipe. Drill a 9mm hole on the edge of the hatch.
Drill another 9 mm hole inside the hatch close to the drain pipe. This picture shows a transparent tube that I used for trial fit.
I suggest that you should get some grey or black paint & using an earbud, apply paint to the holes that you have drilled. Any such hole in car can spread rust very easily.

Just my two cents.

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 11:01   #38
Team-BHP Support

Re: Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate and Water Drain on Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
I suggest that you should get some grey or black paint & using an earbud, apply paint to the holes that you have drilled. Any such hole in car can spread rust very easily.

Just my two cents.

Regards-Sonu
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Stupid of me for not having thought about rust issues. I will definitely do a paint touch up on the drilled areas at the earliest.
Old 16th March 2017, 20:06   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Stupid of me for not having thought about rust issues. I will definitely do a paint touch up on the drilled areas at the earliest.
Yes he is right. Just few days and this happened on the scratch.
Attached Thumbnails
Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3-1489674879932.jpg  

Old 17th March 2017, 05:18   #40
BHPian

Quote:
I suddenly remembered something and it needs to be asked.

During first car service, the guy at VW while washing the car flipped the logo and washed it from inside just like you demonstrated in your video using bottle. If there is no water draining system, where would the water had gone then? The car was stock at that time without any modifications. Is it something that he was not aware of?
Old 17th March 2017, 06:23   #41
Team-BHP Support

Re: Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3

Quote:
I suddenly remembered something and it needs to be asked.

During first car service, the guy at VW while washing the car flipped the logo and washed it from inside just like you demonstrated in your video using bottle. If there is no water draining system, where would the water had gone then? The car was stock at that time without any modifications. Is it something that he was not aware of?
Don't worry about the original boot open mechanism. That is completely sealed and made in such a way that any water that gets behind the logo drains out from the front. The backside is totally sealed so that water does not go into the boot. Only the camera needs this water draining arrangement owing to its mechanical design.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 11:19   #42
Team-BHP Support

Re: Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3

AutoCAD Drawings for the Adapter:

I got the AutoCAD drawings for the adapter plate made by my fabricator who did the laser cutting of the plate. I am attaching a zip file with the adapter drawings.

Adapter Drawings.zip

There are three files:

1. 14.02.2017_SBMT(CC).dwg - Original AutoCAD drawing provided by fabricator

2. 14.02.2017_SBMT(CC).dxf - As I do not have AutoCAD, I converted the .dwg file using a file converter to .dxf which opens in FreeCAD. When I opened it in FreeCAD, found an extra circle (marked with an arrow in the below picture) which I removed and saved into another file Adapter Plate.dxf

Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3-drawing.jpg

3. Adapter Plate.dxf - This is the file I created after removing the unnecessary circle.

I did a simple verification by doing some random measurements on the drawing and comparing with the original adapter plate and found them to be correct. If someone uses this DXF and creates an adapter plate, please do provide a feedback on the accuracy of the drawing in this thread.

Disclaimer:
1. I am providing this design on an "as is" basis and will not be able to provide any guarantee that this is completely accurate or any technical support.
2. I will not be liable to any damages resulting from the use of this file.
3. You are free to use and modify this file and make any number of copies of the adapter plate as you desire
graaja is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 10:26   #43
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I have a doubt regarding the VW Rear flip camera. Planning to order one soon.

Thanks to Graaja, I will be getting it installed in our Polo as per the his detailed installation guide.
Now I have found 2 different sellers in Aliexpress for the VW rear emblem flip reverse camera.

One seller says his camera has 3089 chipset and it's the best.

The other seller says, his camera has 7070 chipset and he also says his camera is the best.

Now I am very confused which as to which camera do I opt for. Both sellers have good feedback ratings & the price difference between the two is just 4$
Now my question regarding the Chipset:
Can we take their words for granted?
Do these different chipsets make any significant difference?

Experts here please comment about chipset quality. Tried googling but Chinese chipsets don't have any review.

Thank you.

With regards,
Digvijay.
bdn317 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 10:39   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdn317 View Post
One seller says his camera has 3089 chipset and it's the best.

The other seller says, his camera has 7070 chipset and he also says his camera is the best.

Now I am very confused which as to which camera do I opt for. Both sellers have good feedback ratings & the price difference between the two is just 4$
Now my question regarding the Chipset:
Can we take their words for granted?
Do these different chipsets make any significant difference?
I am not very sure about chipsets, but others may know better.

Can you post the link to these two cameras so that we can have a look?
Old 27th March 2017, 10:56   #45
BHPian

Quote:
I am not very sure about chipsets, but others may know better.

Can you post the link to these two cameras so that we can have a look?
Ya sure. These are the 2 links:

1) This is the 3089 chipset model :

http://s.aliexpress.com/qyqEFfM7

2) this is the 7070 chipset model:

http://s.aliexpress.com/I7zmMZ7r

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks