Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2017, 17:01   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunnuvila View Post
Amazing DIY upgrade, the key word here being 'DIY' ! The level of satisfaction is unparalleled when the results are so good! An inspiring post!
Thank you for the kind words And yes, though this was a very tough DIY, in the end the satisfaction made it all worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Thanks for a wonderfully documented upgrade! While this tempts me to attempt doing this to my car, I am a bit wary of the warranty clauses. Are you sure that the mechanical warranty would stay despite such changes done on the car?
I really don't know how this will affect warranty. I am sure electrical warranty goes for a toss as the wiring is completely changed. VW may argue that ECU and DSG are also part of electrical circuit. But I think with some perseverance at least DSG and ECU level warranties can be claimed.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 18:03   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!

Your enthusiasm for the mods and willingness to share the experience with relevant photos has made this one of the best DIY threads I've read on TBHP. Thanks for sharing!
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 21:04   #18
BHPian

Awesome Graaja, One of the best ever DIYs.
Shows your commitment and love for the car.

Absolutely Magnificent.

Thanks.
sunilsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 00:06   #19
BHPian

That's absolutely an amazing setup, with every possible detail covered in depth.

Well the thread came a bit late, I burnt my hand while trying to fit a BiXenon projector headlamp kit in my Toyota Landcruiser Prado J120. I must have thought of consulting the gurus a zillion times, however went overboard and got it done from local accessories shop, who completely screwed it.

Now thinking of reverting back to stock setup and forget 50k as bad dream.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd March 2017 at 09:30. Reason: Typo
Turbo Head is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 22nd March 2017, 09:03   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks fab graaja
Although expensive, I can understand the satisfaction and happiness you get after such complicated mods. This modification on your car along with the many mods by Gannu_1 is the benchmark for many GT TSI owners like me. I wish I could reach it some day. Absolutely wonderful mod and thanks for sharing this. It'll be much easier for others now especially with the links to all stores where the items were purchased.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:14   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Your enthusiasm for the mods and willingness to share the experience with relevant photos has made this one of the best DIY threads I've read on TBHP. Thanks for sharing!
Hi R2D2, Thank you very much for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
Awesome Graaja, One of the best ever DIYs.
Shows your commitment and love for the car.

Absolutely Magnificent.

Thanks.
Hi sunilsoft, Thank you very much for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
That's absolutely an amazing setup, with every possible detail covered in depth.

Well the thread came a bit late, I burnt my hand while trying to fit a BiXenon projector headlamp kit in my Toyota Landcruiser Prado J120. I must have thought of consulting the gurus a zillion times, however went overboard and got it done from local accessories shop, who completely screwed it.

Now thinking of reverting back to stock setup and forget 50k as bad dream.
Thank you for the kind words!

Even I realized the hard way the bad reliability of retrofit projectors. Even if you choose a good quality projector (there are quite a few reliable projectors in the market), the final result totally depends on how the retrofit is done. And getting a retrofitter who does a perfect job is like winning a lottery. I spent close to 30K on the projector setup, but fortunately recovered 50% of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Looks fab graaja
Although expensive, I can understand the satisfaction and happiness you get after such complicated mods. This modification on your car along with the many mods by Gannu_1 is the benchmark for many GT TSI owners like me. I wish I could reach it some day. Absolutely wonderful mod and thanks for sharing this. It'll be much easier for others now especially with the links to all stores where the items were purchased.
Thanks a lot for the kind words, Hemanth.

Actually Gannu's threads are the reason why I started these DIYs on my GT. He is the Pioneer in DIYs here. I am sure you will start with these DIYs one day. This car is just unresistable in terms of mod potential
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:29   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Thank you for the kind words!

Even I realized the hard way the bad reliability of retrofit projectors. Even if you choose a good quality projector (there are quite a few reliable projectors in the market), the final result totally depends on how the retrofit is done. And getting a retrofitter who does a perfect job is like winning a lottery. I spent close to 30K on the projector setup, but fortunately recovered 50% of that.
My biggest concern is I got these dual projector setup from UAE and got Genome HID fitted in here (H7 and H1), however to everyone's shock there is absolutely no light coming out of projectors. Yes they glow when you see them from front, but somehow all that light is diminished, reflected, refracted or absorbed somewhere but its not coming out from projectors. What all you get are few random arcs, which are too thin to illuminate anything.

Currently surviving on fog lamps and avoiding night drive, will try replacing HIDs with normal H7 bulbs to find the real culprit. If its projectors then I am doomed

Sorry for deviating from the original thread.
Old 22nd March 2017, 12:21   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
My biggest concern is I got these dual projector setup from UAE and got Genome HID fitted in here (H7 and H1), however to everyone's shock there is absolutely no light coming out of projectors. Yes they glow when you see them from front, but somehow all that light is diminished, reflected, refracted or absorbed somewhere but its not coming out from projectors. What all you get are few random arcs, which are too thin to illuminate anything.

Currently surviving on fog lamps and avoiding night drive, will try replacing HIDs with normal H7 bulbs to find the real culprit. If its projectors then I am doomed

Sorry for deviating from the original thread.
If you have dual projectors, they are just reflectors with a lens placed before the reflector. So, there is hardly anything to go bad there.

But there could be other issues:

1. Bad ballast
2. Bad bubls
3. Wrong positioning of the bulbs

Check these and you should be able to solve the problem.

Good luck!

EDIT: You could also post details in the Auto lighting thread. Maybe someone can suggest a good solution.

Last edited by graaja : 22nd March 2017 at 12:25.
Old 23rd March 2017, 13:19   #24
BHPian

Another neatly documented DIY by graaja. Though the results are tempting, its something that I am not putting on my Bucket list for now. Reason being the price of these headlights.

I have another set of headlights ( VW U-Type Headlights) upgrade on my mind and is comparatively only One Third the price of these headlamps and looks great too. Have seen a lot of Polos in Chandigarh with these Headlamps. Talked to a guy here in Chandigarh who specialize in these and he mentioned the price around 22K INR. They are also available on Aliexpress for almost same price. Will post results once I get these headlamps on my Polo. Attaching a picture below:
Attached Thumbnails
Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!-15284061_1806301316313281_1303603672342113589_n.jpg  

Last edited by navdeep.rana : 23rd March 2017 at 13:35.
navdeep.rana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 14:43   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep.rana View Post
I have another set of headlights ( VW U-Type Headlights) upgrade on my mind and is comparatively only One Third the price of these headlamps and looks great too...
Just a word of caution!

These headlights look fantastic, but be prepared for average performance. I had seen one such headlights (the same model) on a Vento here in Coimbatore and in that light, the high beam was actually positioned below the low beam. I really do not know if that was the mistake of the installer who had got the alignment wrong, or it was a defective light. But do enough research and even check out the lights in person if you have access to a car with these installed before buying them.

Also, these are not HIDs. They have halogens in both high and low beams which provide very average output (maybe just marginally better than the stock headlights) and you will have to upgrade to HIDs at least for the low beams.

I am not trying to discourage you. Just speaking from experience from my previous BiXenon retrofit upgrade where I had analyzed all possible solutions available in the market including these.

Having said that, compared to the BiXenon retrofit I did before this, these double-U type headlights are much more reliable because of the dual barrel design, and look fantastic too. So, do some research on the performance part and then go ahead with the install. Wishing you all the very best
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 14:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am not trying to discourage you. Just speaking from experience from my previous BiXenon retrofit upgrade where I had analyzed all possible solutions available in the market including these.
Hey graaja extremely well executed D.I.Y buddy and the results you have achieved are exclusive

I have been contemplating a HID setup myself on my 2014 GT TDi, but neither do I have the technical know how that you possess nor would want to spend the kinda moolah you have. So I am looking at an easier, probably a less pricey alternative.

Mine is a pre-facelift model (1.6 TDI) with a single headlight for High & Low beam, as shown below:

Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!-gt.jpg

I know you have done loads of research during your headlight assemble and would really request you to share details on any option that you may have come across which I can use.

I would really want a Bi-xenon assembly, but would be fine even if there are any options of just the low beam having a projector with the high beam being the conventional sorts.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 23rd March 2017 at 14:59.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 15:29   #27
BHPian

Great work with the retrofit, graaja.

@navdeep.rana I thought I would chime in with my thoughts about installing HIDs in halogen projectors. The light distribution is likely to be all wrong, due to differences between HID bulbs and halogen bulbs. To reap the benefits of HIDs, projectors specifically designed for HIDs should be used.

Last edited by halfbytecode : 23rd March 2017 at 15:31.
halfbytecode is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 21:14   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Just a word of caution!

These headlights look fantastic, but be prepared for average performance. I had seen one such headlights (the same model) on a Vento here in Coimbatore and in that light, the high beam was actually positioned below the low beam. I really do not know if that was the mistake of the installer who had got the alignment wrong, or it was a defective light. But do enough research and even check out the lights in person if you have access to a car with these installed before buying them.
Thanks a lot for the advise. Would definitely keep all these things in mind while going for the installation and post the results here later. If this doesn't works out, would keep these Bi-Xenons on my list then. Because the stock headlights that comes with Polo are very weak. It sometimes becomes very risky to drive the car on highway especially at high speeds.

PS:- Currently I am waiting for my Flip Camera (all thanks to graaja ) to arrive. The tracking status shows it has reached Kolkata .
navdeep.rana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 21:32   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep.rana View Post
Thanks a lot for the advise. Would definitely keep all these things in mind while going for the installation and post the results here later. If this doesn't works out, would keep these Bi-Xenons on my list then. Because the stock headlights that comes with Polo are very weak. It sometimes becomes very risky to drive the car on highway especially at high speeds.

PS:- Currently I am waiting for my Flip Camera (all thanks to graaja ) to arrive. The tracking status shows it has reached Kolkata .
Do keep this in mind before ordering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post

@navdeep.rana I thought I would chime in with my thoughts about installing HIDs in halogen projectors. The light distribution is likely to be all wrong, due to differences between HID bulbs and halogen bulbs. To reap the benefits of HIDs, projectors specifically designed for HIDs should be used.
halfbytecode is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 21:43   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Just a word of caution!
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
Thanks for your input on this. As graaja said, would first try to find out someone with these U-Type headlamps and see how the lights perform on his car and ask for his review as their are few people here in Chandigarh & Mohali with these headlights. If they mention problems with these lights, then wont go with them.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd March 2017 at 22:15.
navdeep.rana is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks