Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2017, 21:51   #31
BHPian

re: Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Just a word of caution!

These headlights look fantastic, but be prepared for average performance. I had seen one such headlights (the same model) on a Vento here in Coimbatore and in that light, the high beam was actually positioned below the low beam. I really do not know if that was the mistake of the installer who had got the alignment wrong, or it was a defective light. But do enough research and even check out the lights in person if you have access to a car with these installed before buying them.

Also, these are not HIDs. They have halogens in both high and low beams which provide very average output (maybe just marginally better than the stock headlights) and you will have to upgrade to HIDs at least for the low beams.

I am not trying to discourage you. Just speaking from experience from my previous BiXenon retrofit upgrade where I had analyzed all possible solutions available in the market including these.

Having said that, compared to the BiXenon retrofit I did before this, these double-U type headlights are much more reliable because of the dual barrel design, and look fantastic too. So, do some research on the performance part and then go ahead with the install. Wishing you all the very best
Just one more question, trying to activate Coming Home and Leaving feature for the headlights through VCDS, it says that some module is missing for Polo 6R. There is this video on Youtube by a fellow BHPian who has activated this using some "Chinese Automatic Headlight Module". Can some one explain where to get this from as I tried to search on Aliexpress but didn't find anything. Perhaps someone here has already implemented this in his car?

navdeep.rana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 21:55   #32
BHPian

Re: Wiring DIY

Quote:
  • Fuse carrier: To remove the fuse carrier, the footwell light has to be removed, and the AC air vent for the foot well has to be removed.
Hi graaja,

Would you be able to tell the tool you used to access screw that holds AC vent in footwell. I have stanley detachable bit set using which I was not able to access this screw. Maybe I need to try again since space below steering wheel is cramped and I did not remove driver seat.

Were you able to check cost of windshield and other parts. If you are replacing windshield then you should get the mirror and other parts from VW itself unless there is significant price difference between them and Aliexpress.

I was able to mount OEM auto dimming mirror and RLS in my car. I got the mirror mount attached by windshield replacement shop. I did this after struggling to find bondtite. I feel glue used by shop (the same one used for fixing windshield) is much stronger and was done for 200INR.

Regards.

Regards.
antardaksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 22:43   #33
BHPian

re: Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep.rana View Post
Thanks for your input on this. As graaja said, would first try to find out someone with these U-Type headlamps and see how the lights perform on his car and ask for his review as their are few people here in Chandigarh & Mohali with these headlights. If they mention problems with these lights, then wont go with them.
It would be good if you can compare the light output of these headlamps with HIDs in them, and one of the cars (any car, even non-VW) with a Xenon Planet HID retrofit, you should be able to see the difference I mentioned in my earlier posts.

P.S. I am not affiliated with Xenon Planet.
Old 23rd March 2017, 22:46   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
Great work with the retrofit, graaja.
Thank you for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey graaja extremely well executed D.I.Y buddy and the results you have achieved are exclusive

I have been contemplating a HID setup myself on my 2014 GT TDi, but neither do I have the technical know how that you possess nor would want to spend the kinda moolah you have. So I am looking at an easier, probably a less pricey alternative.
Thank you for the kind words vik0728!

You have two options:

1. Retrofit: In retrofitting there are two main risks - the quality of the projectors and the quality of the install. Go for a good brand of projectors like Morimoto to reduce the first risk. You will have to find a good installer to cover the second risk. I have explained some of the mistakes installers make (like improper sealing of headlights, botched up wiring etc) in my other projector retrofit thread. Find out a good installer in your place and get it installed.

2. Replica: Get a replica like the GTi replica which looks same as the OE BiXenons I installed or the dual inverted U type that navdeep.rana has shown. These will have better reliability and lesser installation issues, but the output will not be as good as a proper BiXenon projector. Also, these headlights come with halogen projectors and the output will be very average. I dont know much about who deal with replicas, but you could try Lumens' systems where I got my projectors installed. However, do not go for retrofit with them. There were too many issues as I have explained in my other thread.

If performance is the key parameter, then you have to go with option #1, and for this make sure you get a good installer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep.rana View Post
Just one more question, trying to activate Coming Home and Leaving feature for the headlights through VCDS, it says that some module is missing for Polo 6R. There is this video on Youtube by a fellow BHPian who has activated this using some "Chinese Automatic Headlight Module". Can some one explain where to get this from as I tried to search on Aliexpress but didn't find anything. Perhaps someone here has already implemented this in his car?
I have documented this in my GT ownership thread. I too had this installed earlier in my car. Check out the below post. This has information on the installation, AliExpress link etc.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3840828

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi graaja,

Would you be able to tell the tool you used to access screw that holds AC vent in footwell. I have stanley detachable bit set using which I was not able to access this screw. Maybe I need to try again since space below steering wheel is cramped and I did not remove driver seat.
I used a regular screw driver set with the Torx bit - the same used for most of the parts like HU, cabin light etc. A wrench may be difficult to operate in that cramped space. Try a straight screw driver with the Torx bit instead.

Also, for small jobs like replacing single wire in the BCM connector etc., there is no need to remove the seat. But for a job like BCM upgrade, it is better to remove the seat.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 22:57   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Hi graaja,

Were you able to check cost of windshield and other parts. If you are replacing windshield then you should get the mirror and other parts from VW itself unless there is significant price difference between them and Aliexpress.
I might be able to help with this. I had gone to the VW Service Center here in Trivandrum yesterday to check on this (and on some other stuff including the OEM GTi Bi-Xenons ). The information that they gave me is that the windshield for the Vento which is designed for the RLS costs 7K and the RLS module which one needs to buy separately in such cases costs another 11K. This does not include the wiring or the auto-dimming mirror, as per the folks there. Also, they have no idea about how to add all of this to the older cars. (Someone there actually told me that RLS and the other stuff cannot be added to the older Vento / Polo ) So, I guess a windshield alone from VW and all other parts from AliExpress makes the best financial sense.

Last edited by VivekCherian : 23rd March 2017 at 23:11. Reason: Added more information
VivekCherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 04:45   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivekCherian View Post
The information that they gave me is that the windshield for the Vento which is designed for the RLS costs 7K and the RLS module which one needs to buy separately in such cases costs another 11K...
Quote:

I was able to mount OEM auto dimming mirror and RLS in my car. I got the mirror mount attached by windshield replacement shop. I did this after struggling to find bondtite. I feel glue used by shop (the same one used for fixing windshield) is much stronger and was done for 200INR.
Thanks VivekCherian for answering this. I totally missed this question in my previous post.

I had contacted VW for the windshield, RLS and mirror. The quote I received was a whopping 53K. 14K for the windshield, 15K for the sensor and 24K for the mirror. If I change the windshield outside, it costs 7K and the RLS and mirror and wiring harness from AliExpress costs $150. So, I get everything at almost 1/3rd the price.

I am going to order the RLS/IRVM online and once I receive this, will get the windshield changed at windshield experts.

Also, for mounting the base to the windshield, you first have to paint the windshield with black primer allowing for an opening for the sensor. I had totally forgotten this as well. That will give good bonding of the base to the windshield. I decided to change the complete windshield so that I don't have to worry about the strength of the adhesive etc.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 17:39   #37
BHPian

Re: Results, Lessons and Future Plans

Quote:
The Results

Once VCDS coding is done, tidy up all the wiring with lots of wire ties, and close everything and enjoy the new headlights.

Below are some pictures of the GT with the BiXenons.

That’s all folks, I have on the OEM BiXenon upgrade.
Absolutely brilliant upgrade. You are really brave and an expert to embark on such an upgrade. I am sure those inside and outside the forum can really bank on the details mentioned in your thread if they decide to give it a go. As far as I am concerned, I will be happy if I can upgrade my Polo GT's single barrel headlamp to a double barrel one.
Will you be considering a suspension upgrade as well ?
rejoycjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 21:55   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Also, for mounting the base to the windshield, you first have to paint the windshield with black primer allowing for an opening for the sensor.
Hi graaja,

You can use following VW OEM primer as well
Part number: D 009 200 02

Another important thing to check with windshield expert would be the mirror mount.

Part number for auto dimming mirror (new Polo/Vento) is 4M0845543

Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!-bracket-mirror.jpg

Regards.
antardaksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 22:42   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Absolutely brilliant upgrade. You are really brave and an expert to embark on such an upgrade. I am sure those inside and outside the forum can really bank on the details mentioned in your thread if they decide to give it a go. As far as I am concerned, I will be happy if I can upgrade my Polo GT's single barrel headlamp to a double barrel one.
Will you be considering a suspension upgrade as well ?
Thank you for the kind words

I have already upgraded the suspensions to KW StreetComfort Coilovers - documented here.

Quote:
Hi graaja,

You can use following VW OEM primer as well
Part number: D 009 200 02

Another important thing to check with windshield expert would be the mirror mount.

Part number for auto dimming mirror (new Polo/Vento) is 4M0845543
Thanks a lot for the info. The new windshield actually comes with the base already attached. So, I don't have to worry about sticking the base if I get the complete windshield changed.
Old 29th March 2017, 09:50   #40
BHPian

Amazing job Ganesh! It truly was a privilege to experience the results of you mods first hand, thank you for that opportunity and answering our million questions. I hope you don't mind me sharing a couple of snaps of your head unit. TPMS and dynamic reversing guidelines in a GT TSI is uber cool and whats even more impressive is you have done all of this by yourself! Kudos!
Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!-dsc_0429.jpg

Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!-dsc_0431.jpg
deepfreak15 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 11:13   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Amazing job Ganesh! It truly was a privilege to experience the results of you mods first hand, thank you for that opportunity and answering our million questions. I hope you don't mind me sharing a couple of snaps of your head unit. TPMS and dynamic reversing guidelines in a GT TSI is uber cool and whats even more impressive is you have done all of this by yourself! Kudos!
Thank you so much for the kind words, Deepak

The pleasure was mine. Had an awesome weekend with you and the Bangalore TBHP team. Looking forward to many more such trips
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 13:03   #42
BHPian

When I read such threads, there is a strong desire to look for options where I can take up a bit of enthusiasm from people like you, Gannu and Saint.

Thanks for the thread and reminding me that a world of possibilities exist if one truly desires.
Intelsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 22:13   #43
Team-BHP Support

Installed New Windshield, Rain Light Sensor and Auto Dimming IRVM

Thanks to:
1. UK-Polos forum member firegrafik from Russia who helped me to source the RLS and Mirror
2. UK-Polos forum member ciclo who helped me with the VCDS long coding for the RLS
3. Our own Gannu who gave me lots of tips while fixing the mirror.

This work was pending in the OEM BiXenon installation. I had previously got the Jetta mirror and rain light sensor, which resulted in a very bad finish. Below picture shows the previous installation of the Jetta RLS
Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!-rls-sensor-old.jpg

I had fixed the rain light sensor on the passenger side. I had so many problems with this - this looked ugly; the sensor was not clamped tight to the base and kept falling off; as the sensor was not completely covered by the wipers, rain sensing wiper function was not working fine.

I had ordered the following components from Russia.

3G0 857 511E SMA - Mirror
6C0 868 438 9B9 – Mirror cover upper
6C0 858 548A 9B9 – Mirror cover bottom
6C0 868 168A 9B9 – Mirror cover
5K7 955 559C - Rain-light sensor
8K0 971 833 - 8 pin connector for the mirror
000 979 034 E - Wires with pins meant for the mirror connector

I had taken some pictures of all the components, but lost them when my phone broke. So I had to download some pictures from Google images and AliExpress product pages.

Mirror with cover (picture from eBay)
Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!-irvm.jpg

Rain light sensor(picture from AliExpress)
Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!-rain-light-sensor.jpg

8 pin connector for the mirror (picture from AliExpress)
Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!-connector.jpg

Changing the Windshield

The first step was to change the windshield to the one that has the mount for the new RLS and mirror. VW workshop quoted 14K for changing the windshield, whereas Windshield Experts charged 7.2K for the same. They also came to my place and changed the windshield. A few pictures of the windshield change.

Cutting through the windshield adhesive
Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!-cutting-through-adhesive.jpg

Removing the windshield
Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!-removing-windshield-2.jpg

Windshield removed
Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!-windshield-removed.jpg

The new windshield
Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!-new-windshield.jpg

The mount for the RLS and mirror
Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!-rls-base.jpg

New windshield fixed
Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!-new-windshield-fixed.jpg

I let the windshield rest for a day for the adhesive to set and completed the sensor and mirror installation the next day.

Fixing the RLS and Mirror

RLS fixed to the base. The RLS fixes to the base using the spring loaded clips locking on to plastic tabs. Once the two clips are in place, the RLS is pressed firmly to the windshield with no air bubbles.
Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!-rls-fixed.jpg

The mirror is fixed to the base using a push and rotate action. First the mirror is pushed into the base using the 4 metal guides. And then it is twisted clockwise to lock. This requires considerable force and the mirror locks with a bang! One of the spring locks for the RLS can be seen in this picture.
Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!-mirror-fixed.jpg

The connectors with wiring fixed to the RLS and the mirror. The rain light sensor uses the same connector as the one from the Jetta that I had installed before. For the mirror, I had to use the 8 pin connector. Pin 1 is +12V from ignition signal and Pin 2 is GND. There are two more signals for the reverse gear signal and door unlock, but I left them unused.
Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!-connectors-fixed.jpg

Sliding in the covers. Once the cover is slid in, it completely conceals the wires. There is one plastic insert that needs to be fixed to the roof liner which requires a cut to the roof liner. As the mirror cover reached upto the roof liner thus concealing the wires, I did not use this extra plastic insert.
Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!-mirror-cover-sliding.jpg

Once everything is fixed, I had to code the RLS using VCDS. I used long coding "0728DD" for the RLS. Thanks to UK-Polos member "ciclo" for the code.

The Results:

Some pictures of the new mirror and RLS.

The perfect OE look of the new RLS
Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!-oe-look.jpg

View on the mirror. Though the mirror is not as wide as the Jetta's or the previous Chinese one I had, the view is pretty good. The dimming function is also fantastic in the night. As there is no LED on the mirror, there is absolutely no distraction in the night.
Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!-rear-view.jpg

Completely hidden wiring
Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!-finish.jpg

After the installation, took the car to 3M for a cleaning session. Met TBHP member Doc_Nikhil at 3M. A couple of pictures of my Grey GT with his Flame Red GT a.k.a Paprika. Thank you Doc_Nikhil for the pictures

Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!-paprika-1.jpg

Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade EDIT: 6C RLS + Auto-dimming IRVM installed!-paprika-2.jpg

Operation:

With the installation of the new RLS, the automatic headlights and rain sensing wiper functions work great (the automatic headlights were working fine already with the previous Jetta sensor).

When the wiper stalk is put in the first position (variable speed position), it works as rain sensing wiper. When the sensor detects water, the wipers are turned on automatically. The speed of the wipers is also controlled based on the amount of rain. Here is a video I made to demonstrate the auto headlights and rain sensing wipers.

That's all folks I have for now. Next pending is the installation of auto leveling sensor and controller for the headlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intelsingh View Post
When I read such threads, there is a strong desire to look for options where I can take up a bit of enthusiasm from people like you, Gannu and Saint. Thanks for the thread and reminding me that a world of possibilities exist if one truly desires.
Thank you so much for the kind words
graaja is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 22:22   #44
BHPian

Great mods sir. Can't wait to see these in person soon!
deepfreak15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 21:13   #45
BHPian

Quote:

When the wiper stalk is put in the first position (variable speed position), it works as rain sensing wiper. When the sensor detects water, the wipers are turned on automatically. The speed of the wipers is also controlled based on the amount of rain. Here is a video I made to demonstrate the auto headlights and rain sensing wipers.

That's all folks I have for now. Next pending is the installation of auto leveling sensor and controller for the headlights.

Thank you so much for the kind words
Hey graaja,

First of all, nice detailed DIY thread. Neat installation there. I'm waiting for Auto levelling sensor installation guide, as me and my friend has installed OEM Bi-xenon headlight in his Jetta. But without levelling sensor, even though it's working fine but we want to make sure it's safe to use.

On the other hand I want to install RLS and Auto headlight switch on my Vento. Can you share links for the same?

And I want to know which wiper blades are you using? What's the cost? Performance.

Again heads up for this amazing thread. Keep it up.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th June 2017 at 19:23. Reason: Removing Youtube URL from the quoted post.
maddyguage is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks