Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2017, 15:06   #16
BHPian

Re: S-Cross DIY: TPMS & 12V socket installation

Hi Sudeep/DIY Bhpians,

Couple of queries from my side regarding fuse tap and TPMS; not sure if they've been covered. If so, kindly help me with the required info/posts.

I am planning to hardwire a dashcam and an extra charging socket in my Storme.

When looking into the fuse box to locate an empty slot, I observed that the empty slot had connectivity terminals only on one tooth (for the fuse) and other was empty. But the regular connected fuses all have both terminals into which the fuse plugs in. Adding a reference picture wherein the yellow box shows the empty slot and the red oval shows the empty tooth slot within that!?
The orange is showing the regular connected fuses. The question is, can I use this empty slot at all or do I have to piggyback on an existing fuse only?!
Attached Images

Last edited by avinash_m : 8th April 2017 at 15:09. Reason: editing the pic for unwanted white space
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 22:18   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
When looking into the fuse box to locate an empty slot, I observed that the empty slot had connectivity terminals only on one tooth (for the fuse) and other was empty. But the regular connected fuses all have both terminals into which the fuse plugs in. Adding a reference picture wherein the yellow box shows the empty slot and the red oval shows the empty tooth slot within that!?
Wow, that is definitely a peculiar arrangement.

See, the 2 terminals you see in a fuse box represent two ends of a wire - one terminal goes to the battery (i.e. current input from battery to fuse), the other to the equipment being protected by the fuse (i.e. current output from fuse to equipment).

Now, my suspicion is that when there is a single terminal, there is only the wire running from the battery to the fuse terminal (because there will be a block of wires coming from the battery to the fuse box, there's no cost associated in wiring up all the fuses). On the other hand, the second terminal is missing because that specific equipment is not installed, so Tata Motors elected to skip installing a terminal and any wire/termination for that second terminal.

If my suspicion is correct, then you can safely use a fuse tap in that fuse, since all a fuse tap requires is 12V input. Just make sure the absence of a terminal doesn't mean the fuse tap is not loosely held.

How can you test whether the terminal that is present connects to the battery? You can use either an automotive tester (see step 3 in my thread), or if you have a multimeter, you can use the DC-V mode of the multimeter to see if the terminal present carries a 12V potential.

If the automotive tester lights up, or if the multimeter indicates 12V DC, then that terminal has a supply from the battery, and can be used to power a fuse tap. However, if this test is not successful, then you will definitely have to piggyback an existing fuse.

Although this requires a little more effort, I'd agree with your intention of checking these empty fuse sockets first (I prefer using a fuse tap in an unused socket rather than piggybacking an existing fuse).

Hope this helps, and keep us posted on what you find.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 16:14   #18
BHPian

Thanks a ton for the detailed and simple (to understand) explanation Sir; it really helps satiate the DIY 'kida' (bug) in absolute amateurs like me!

Quote:
On the other hand, the second terminal is missing because that specific equipment is not installed, so Tata Motors elected to skip installing a terminal and any wire/termination for that second terminal.
Per the Fuse box diagram, this terminal is meant for the 4X4 module; mine is a 4X2. In fact, there's another one such slot in the second row (from top). The only difference that I see between the two is the mentioned amp rating, one being at 10A and other at 15A.

Quote:
How can you test whether the terminal that is present connects to the battery? You can use either an automotive tester (see step 3 in my thread), or if you have a multimeter, you can use the DC-V mode of the multimeter to see if the terminal present carries a 12V potential.
Yes, will check and report back. I've already procured all the necessary tools, thanks to all the DIY threads on fuse tapping including yours. Just waiting on the camera to arrive from aliexpress.

On a slightly different note (from my first post), I'd meant to ask about the TPMS as well.

@sudeepg - can you please clarify if every tyre rotation would include rotating the sensors (respectively) too, for the TPMS to work?!
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 18:08   #19
BHPian

Thanks Arun for your crisp and clear explanation. You are really good at explaining things, aren't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
@sudeepg - can you please clarify if every tyre rotation would include rotating the sensors (respectively) too, for the TPMS to work?!
If you rotate the tyres, you do not necessarily need to rotate the sensors. the U912 TPMS has a "learning" feature which allows you to go into a program mode and then specificy the new positions. It goes in like a clockwise order. I do not have the manual yet, but I will read through it and post back sections from it later.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 20:31   #20
BHPian

Good job there!

Just a few things regarding TPMS. I was using one since 2012. It was a Orange TPMS. The sensors fail due to battery life. The claimed 5 years of battery life is not always true. Two of my sensors failed after two years. Cost of 2 replacement sensor is equivalent to the cost of a new TPMS unit. So I bought a new one from Aliexpress. Working fine so far. This time I chose sensors with replaceable batteries. Also, check with the seller the cost of replacement sensor before ordering a unit. For some units the cost is too high or aren't readily available - skip those.

A TPMS is very essential thing for a car, specially who drive a lot or for someone like me who have shoulder problem and can't change a tyre without much effort :(.
Old 25th June 2017, 01:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Get a visual confirmation to be sure. Remove the glovebox and put in fresh air mode and see the flap move. Keep wires clear of any moving parts so as to prevent chafing.

OT Just a tip: If wires need to be drawn through minor gaps provide an additional sleeve so as to prevent chafing due to vibrations/movement over the years.
Forgot to update this. You were spot on with your assessment! I fixed this soon after you posted your feedback.

There was a minor brushing of the sponges against the wires. I've re-routed the wires above and secured them with zip ties and confirmed with a visual inspection that there is no longer any interference with the air circulation control flap.

Thank you very much!
Old 17th September 2017, 21:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Sudeep, how are the tpms and the fusetaps holding up to usage thus far? In fact, I have the exact TPMS is my aliexpress cart, wanted to check with you one last time before buying it.
Old 10th October 2017, 18:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Sudeep, how are the tpms and the fusetaps holding up to usage thus far? In fact, I have the exact TPMS is my aliexpress cart, wanted to check with you one last time before buying it.
Just saw this. They are holding up pretty well and no issues for me so far. The TPMS works just as expected.
sudeepg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 19:25   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Just saw this. They are holding up pretty well and no issues for me so far.
I am using a Voifo dash cam. I want to hard wire it and have the following kit from ali express:
S-Cross DIY: TPMS & 12V socket installation-hardwiring-dash-cam.jpg

I plan to do it like this:
1) Peel the red fuse tap wire
2) solder the red wire of the kit to the red fuse tap wire
3) Fix the black cable to body (negative)
4) use the fuse tap in blank (no 26) socket

Please let me know if this is the right procedure. also, what should be the rating of the fuse?
Old 23rd January 2018, 23:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
I am using a Voifo dash cam. I want to hard wire it and have the following kit from ali express:
Attachment 1720180

Please let me know if this is the right procedure. also, what should be the rating of the fuse?
Not sure of Point no 1. There is no need to peel any wire in this setup.

Point no: 2: The fuse tap has a butt crimp connector, so instead of soldering, you have to crimp the connections.

A 5 Amp fuse should be fine.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 09:22   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Point no: 2: The fuse tap has a butt crimp connector, so instead of soldering, you have to crimp the connections.

A 5 Amp fuse should be fine.
So does that mean that i have to just insert the wire from the kit into the butt connector and then crimp it?

5 Amp fuse in which slot?
Old 24th January 2018, 09:41   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1720180

Yes, this is the correct procedure. Instead of crimping, soldering is good in your case because the wire is thin and the gauge of both wires are not same, thus a butt connection using crimp might come off with vibrations.

Remember, the single biggest problem in an automobile is the vibration. So I'd recommend soldering. Just make sure you solder well and not with any bulges because bulged solders cause high resistance to current flow.

The dash cam needs at most 1.5 Amps, so a 5 amp fuse will be perfect.

Also, ensure that the grounding point is good enough and has least resistance.

Quote:
So does that mean that i have to just insert the wire from the kit into the butt connector and then crimp it?

5 Amp fuse in which slot?
In the fuse tap, the one farthest away from the pins which plug into the fuse box. The one at outer edge.

Last edited by sudeepg : 24th January 2018 at 09:42.
Old 26th January 2018, 11:48   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this is the correct procedure
I did it today. Everything is working fine!

The only problem was the plastic black cover of the fuse box wont fit in. Ive left it out at the moment. Any suggestions how this can be fixed back after the fuse tap in place?
Old 26th January 2018, 15:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
I did it today. Everything is working fine!

The only problem was the plastic black cover of the fuse box wont fit in. Ive left it out at the moment. Any suggestions how this can be fixed back after the fuse tap in place?
Yup, that's a problem. I have removed the fuse cover and put it securely in the glove box for now. It's the case with most others as well.
sudeepg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 09:39   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Yup, that's a problem. I have removed the fuse cover and put it securely in the glove box for now. It's the case with most others as well.

I've also placed the cover in the glove box.

A solution that comes to my mind is to cut out a section for the fuse tap and put the over back. The main reason is to protect it from dust.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks