Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2017, 12:54   #31
BHPian

Re: DIY: Supercharged Fiat Palio 1.6

Wow I am already glued to this thread. Waiting for some numbers so please don't disappoint us.
Old 31st August 2017, 21:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuvan_prasad View Post

Supercharger whine is kind-off inevitable from my limited knowledge as air is being compressed by the gears. Some resonators/ air boxes may reduce the noise, but how much space do you have in the engine bay to install a large-ish air box? Also, try putting a sheet of damping between the hood carpet and the metal. Maybe try putting some waterproof felt tape/damping along the sides of the fenders where the hood meets them to further reduce the noise.
Thanks for your kind words and inputs. I have done some brainstorming and since there is no space under the hood i am planning to design an air intake from long bonnet scoop which will have baffles and acoustic foam lining. This will serve the purpose of cold air intake as well as resonator box. Something like below pic.

DIY: Supercharged Fiat Palio 1.6-1969fordmustangshadesofthepastbestford12.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8er View Post
Wow I am already glued to this thread. Waiting for some numbers so please don't disappoint us.
I will go to coimbatore for final tuning. Nos will be published then. As of now i too dont know the real world nos. I am only happy with the performance right now, which has transformed to a great extent
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 23:20   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Believe me its of no much use. You need a better cylinder head. If you study the head perfectly you will see that the valve dia is just 31mm. The max you can increase it to is 33mm. The flow rating on this head is a bottle neck. So you can increase the velocity of the intake air only to a certain extent. If you concentrate more on the density it would fetch better results.
You should try and do a custom intake manifold, I'm sure you have the resources to do it.

Quote:
Haha, i do remember the slotted discs. I postponed the plan as i didnt get the adventure brake set up anywhere in India. I just got it from a scrapped adventure couple of months back. Rest assured i will manufacture the slotted discs.
EXCELLENT! Do keep me posted on the slotted rotors, my palio with advy brakes is with a good friend and he sure wouldn't mind a pair of slotted rotors too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Also, if I may suggest, a four wheel disk brake setup will inspire more confidence.
Adventure brake setup is quite powerful enough, you don't need rear disc brakes. Check out the adventure rear brake drum compared to the stock Palio next to it. Drum is bigger than even what lineas and puntos come with.

DIY: Supercharged Fiat Palio 1.6-skhlict.jpg

With adventure front brakes, you can get better brake pads. I had a set of Mintex brake pads apart from the Brembos that was on my car.

DIY: Supercharged Fiat Palio 1.6-img_20151230_142632.jpg

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 31st August 2017 at 23:29.
SunnyBoi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 12:00   #34
BHPian

Now that you have taken all the pain, how much for a copy paste job on the Stile 1.6?
Old 3rd September 2017, 07:53   #35
BHPian

Its an admirable effort. Especially considering the fact that all the forced induction engines in our country are 'Turbo-propped' . Finding a car with a super-charger is like looking for a 'needle in a haystack'.

One has superficial knowledge of how cars work, therefore, some of the information set forth in the thread regarding DIY 'Super-charger on a NA engine' were inexplicable to me especially the numbers. Nevertheless, its worth a read.
ritedhawan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 15:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

Currently i am using 14" Falken tyres. On first gear when i floor the accelerator i get immense wheels spins while the car hardly moves ahead. I am planning to upgrade the tyres. Does anyone have any experiences with these types of tyres. I dont plan to go fro 16" or 17" tyres. I want to only increase the width of the tyre.
Attached Images

Old 4th September 2017, 20:40   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Currently i am using 14" Falken tyres. On first gear when i floor the accelerator i get immense wheels spins while the car hardly moves ahead. I am planning to upgrade the tyres. Does anyone have any experiences with these types of tyres. I dont plan to go fro 16" or 17" tyres. I want to only increase the width of the tyre.
Supercharging a Palio is an epic thing to do. Hats Off bro.
BTW if you are looking to upgrade the width of the tyres and keeping the stock 14" rims then I would suggest you to go with Yokohama S drive 205/60 R14. That's the maximum width available (as far as I know) in the market for 14" rims. I also suggest you to check the clearance between the tyres and the struts before buying or else you will have to end up buying spacers.
Currently I have the same spec tyres on my Honda City.
The tyres have amazing Grip.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Supercharged Fiat Palio 1.6-3.yokohamasdrive.jpg  

DIY: Supercharged Fiat Palio 1.6-s-drive.jpg  

DIY: Supercharged Fiat Palio 1.6-img_20170806_124710.jpg  

Last edited by Jassy1313 : 4th September 2017 at 20:43.
Old 4th September 2017, 21:28   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

amit_mechengg, hats off to you. Do you guys ever do a Pune Palio meet? I'd love to see your car!
Old 6th September 2017, 19:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
amit_mechengg, hats off to you. Do you guys ever do a Pune Palio meet? I'd love to see your car!
Thanks bro. We do fiat meets often, almost all are our tbhp members too. You are most welcome to see my palio. The only thing i am working on is to reduce the induction noise. Right now i am not able to drive it through the city without attracting the police attention
Old 6th September 2017, 20:13   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks bro. We do fiat meets often, almost all are our tbhp members too. You are most welcome to see my palio. The only thing i am working on is to reduce the induction noise. Right now i am not able to drive it through the city without attracting the police attention
Thanks Amit. Let me know when the Palio group meets up. And I'll get the 1.6 GTX for a dekko. Not in the best of shape but I hope to doll her up some day.
Old 6th September 2017, 20:29   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
on my own in my machine shop.
Would like to know more about your machine shop.

How many lobes per rotor?
Any pressure fluctuations? (The supercharger seems quite short. One can't get too aggressive with the helix angle of the rotors.)
Whine:- from gears, or rotors? Can't make out from pictures, but are the gears spur cut?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 6th September 2017, 21:18   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Would like to know more about your machine shop.

How many lobes per rotor?
Any pressure fluctuations? (The supercharger seems quite short. One can't get too aggressive with the helix angle of the rotors.)
Whine:- from gears, or rotors? Can't make out from pictures, but are the gears spur cut?

Regards
Sutripta
My machine shop is in Bhosari MIDC, consists of conventional as well as Cnc and Vmc.

There are 3 lobes per rotor. Gears are smooth, the whine is from the rotors and main problem is the induction noise.

There is no pressure fluctions and boost is constant and healthy.

The gears are helical.
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 19:13   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My machine shop is in Bhosari MIDC, consists of conventional as well as Cnc and Vmc.
Auto Component manufacturer?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 7th September 2017, 19:20   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Auto Component manufacturer?

Regards
Sutripta
Yes OE supplier, hubs, rotors, GBX covers and many more for auto, and there is a line up for non auto as well. We also do tool room.

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th October 2017 at 10:42. Reason: Please don't use spaces before punctuation marks. Thanks.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 19:29   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes OE supplier
Envy you. Not for your car, but for your access to a well equipped machine shop.

Don't take it otherwise, but Ace/ Jyoti, or say Mori Seiki?

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks