Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2017, 16:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

DIY: Paintless dent removal via the Glue gun method

Few weeks back, I took the car to a car cleaning place and parked it at the entrance. Some biker (while taking his bike out) reversed into my car's rear door. There was a small dent/ding on the door. I looked around on the interwebs and found this glue gun method to remove a dent. Found this pop-a-dent kit on Amazon. It was just 498 rs + shipping, so thought of trying it out.

Amazon product link - http://amzn.in/4O6VmxZ

I have made a video of the whole process.

The kit comes with the following things:

Name:  1.png
Views: 33970
Size:  215.4 KB

First clean the surface with acetone and water to remove oil/wax.

Select the right size of pulling tab and apply glue on it.

Name:  2.png
Views: 33070
Size:  147.4 KB

Press the pulling on the dent, leave it to dry for 2-3mins, no longer than 8 mins the box said or it may damage the paint.

Name:  3.png
Views: 33029
Size:  76.7 KB

Name:  4.png
Views: 33806
Size:  109.3 KB

Then use the pulling bridge and turning knob to pull it out.

Name:  5.png
Views: 34503
Size:  120.7 KB

Its a long process and you will need a lot of patience, I did it around 25 times and left when the dent was reduced to the size of a pea. But it does work!

It may not work if the dent has a strong crease. If the paint has chipped off, then don't try this method, you might end up damaging the paint more.

Last edited by GTO : 24th October 2017 at 10:47. Reason: Spacing - thanks for sharing :)
Rahulkool is online now   (54) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 16:50   #2
BHPian

re: DIY: Paintless dent removal via the Glue gun method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Few weeks back, i took the car to car cleaning place and parked it at the entrance. Some biker while taking his bike out, reversed into my cars rear door. There was a small dent/ding on the door. I looked around on interwebs and found this glue gun method to remove dent. Found this pop-a-dent kit on amazon. It was just 498rs+shipping, so thought of trying it out.

It may not work if the dent has a strong crease. If paint has chipped off then dont try this method, you might end of damaging the paint more.
Interesting Rahul. I think we should meet. I am sure it needs a lot of patience. I have a small dent caused by an oil can that was kicked up by the car in front of me.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 17:09   #3
BHPian

Thanks for sharing this Rahulkool.
Seems promising.
Just one clarification,What is the amount of glue that gun can disperse and also how to replenish the glue.
Further, how long did you take for this 25 iterations.

Thanks in advance.

Maverick79
Maverick79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 17:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Thanks for sharing this Rahulkool.
Seems promising.
Just one clarification,What is the amount of glue that gun can disperse and also how to replenish the glue.
Further, how long did you take for this 25 iterations.

Thanks in advance.

Maverick79
Hey Maverick79, It took me around 2.5 hours.

The gun comes with one glue stick, i used half of that in whole process. If needed you can buy more glue sticks.
Rahulkool is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 17:37   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Few weeks back, i took the car to car cleaning place and parked it at the entrance. Some biker while taking his bike out, reversed into my cars rear door. There was a small dent/ding on the door. I looked around on interwebs and found this glue gun method to remove dent. Found this pop-a-dent kit on amazon. It was just 498rs+shipping, so thought of trying it out.
I have seen some advertisements and videos for such products on websites. But this is the first time its an individual (Rahulkool) who has tried and tested the product. It gives confidence to us all to try the product for our DIY jobs.

Rahulkool, since your's is a Fiat it has taken 25 efforts to try and remove the dent and ultimately reduce it to the size of a pea. But I am sure Maruti, Hyundai, Toyota, Nissan owners may find the going easier, given the sheet metal quality. The flip side is that such cars in most cases would also suffer a greater dent with the same impact.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 09:00   #6
BHPian

For bigger dents (read the bird bath sized dents) it is simpler to open the inside panel and push it from inside. A gentle nudge is usually enough. I have tried it on my Alto a couple of times when the kids in the society decided to push the car for reasons best known to them.

However for smaller dents, the glue gun may be useful.
varunsangal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 09:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

For bigger dents just use the plunger from your bathroom. Use something simple to protect the paint and plunge the dent way out.

If all does not work, get yourself a racing DNA sticker and cover it.

Good job Rahul. Considering your schedule and break from active riding/driving it is good to see you finally get into some action with your rides. Price vs Result, this is no brainer to try and it looks fairly safe. Just needs patience. Good to see you record this and post it for us as i would have never bought this and would have simply said gimmicks.

Last edited by VW2010 : 24th October 2017 at 09:05.
VW2010 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 16:29   #8
BHPian

Re: DIY: Paintless dent removal via the Glue gun method

Thanks Rahul. For a long time I have been searching for something similar to get rid of the ugly dents that I have on all 4 door creaselines on my Punto. Thanks to the parallel parking I have and the careless adjacent car owners. But do you think it will serve the purpose for my car as the dents are not on the flat surface, but rather the crease lines just below the windows?
sub.g84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 16:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post

Maverick79
The glue sticks are available in most stationery shops. The POP-A-DENT that I had purchased came with 3 sticks and none of them were good enough to hold the pullers in place. I then got a new set of glue sticks (available at Odyssey in Chennai) and those were strong enough to hold the pullers in place till the dents were pulled out.

Quote:
That white 'pencil' like stick is to remove the glue from the pullers after it pops out, especially to clear up those 4 holes.

Couple of dents that I got rid off using this. Had to repeat the procedure around 4 to 5 times on each dent.

On the rear.
Happened when the TUV had to be pushed after it got stuck in some beach sand. Had to drop 2 wheels off the road to allow another vehicle pass by on the narrow road along the beach, and the rear wheel in the sand started spinning. Now have got a MLD on the rear axle.
DIY: Paintless dent removal via the Glue gun method-rear-1.jpg
DIY: Paintless dent removal via the Glue gun method-rear-2.jpg
DIY: Paintless dent removal via the Glue gun method-rear-3.jpg

On the right fender.
Happened when a Scorpio moving parallel, on my right, suddenly realized that he has to turn into the road on the left, and did not want to miss it.
DIY: Paintless dent removal via the Glue gun method-sides-1.jpg
DIY: Paintless dent removal via the Glue gun method-sides-2.jpg
DIY: Paintless dent removal via the Glue gun method-sides-3.jpg
DIY: Paintless dent removal via the Glue gun method-sides-4.jpg

Given the price tag, it is worth having one at home.

Last edited by CAPTAIN REX : 24th October 2017 at 16:45.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 20:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Nice DIY Rahul and Captain Rex.

IIRC, the famed Trend Automobiles in Bangalore use this too.

Which is why the car is taken away from sight into a closed area, when being worked upon.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 08:29   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Good DIY Rahulkool and CAPTAIN REX. This was one thing I always saw on teleshopping. Now I know that some teleshopping ads can be actually true

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post

Which is why the car is taken away from sight into a closed area, when being worked upon.
They do use it; I've seen them doing it on some car. But I didn't understand the context of your last sentence.
If you are saying that they do it because they don't want the customers to see it, then I don't think it is true. The before and after photos here do not suggest the exact amount of effort involved. As Rahulkool mentioned, it is a time consuming activity and also needs a lot of patience. There are not many people who are good at DIYs or do not want to risk doing it for the fear of paint peeling away.
Also we must understand that of the many dent removal techniques this is one of the very basic techniques. Trend being a body shop will surely have this and many more tools and methods to remove it
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 11:11   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Rahulkool, since your's is a Fiat it has taken 25 efforts to try and remove the dent and ultimately reduce it to the size of a pea. But I am sure Maruti, Hyundai, Toyota, Nissan owners may find the going easier, given the sheet metal quality. The flip side is that such cars in most cases would also suffer a greater dent with the same impact.
I have used a similar product in my dad's Santo which had a major dent when a coconut fell on the right fender.
post 4-5 tries, the dip was reduced from a coconut size to a tennis ball size one. I am sure that with more patience, could make the dent non recognizable, but ran out of patience.

Note: Felt that a heavy duty vacuum puller would do a better job than this

George V
Old 25th October 2017, 11:32   #13
bkc
BHPian

I had used the same kit on my Alto, some 5 yrs back. It was purchased from ebay and I managed to remove some big dents but also some paint on repainted surfaces.

Advantages :
- DIY way to remove dents on your own.
- Simple to use and un-glues itself, once a big dent is popped.
- Save a lot of ₹ instead of conventional tinkering and painting.
- No fiddling with door pads for dent removal, hence, no rattling after work.

Disadvantages :
- Not possible to remove dents on hard metal area, like the runner board.
- Not recommended for use with repainted surfaces.
- Cannot remove dents on edges.
- Leaves a small ding after pop, if, the dent is caused by sharp objects.

Recently my bro, gifted a dent on my car, on the driver side door and the rear door, even some paint was lost exposing metal.
I did not wish to replace or repaint due to loss of NCB. Hence went to a road side tinker; he used grease and a plate like hammer to hit on the dented portion. Though the work did not give a perfect finish, overall I'm happy.

You could see, small tinkered dents, if you observe carefully over reflections below handles .
DIY: Paintless dent removal via the Glue gun method-img_20171025_111700.jpg

For a normal eye, it wont be visible but driver side door (zoom in) is an eye sore, but yeah, will have a teambhp sticker
DIY: Paintless dent removal via the Glue gun method-img_20171025_111641.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 25th October 2017 at 13:54. Reason: ONLY 2 smileys per post pls
bkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 23:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Few weeks back, I took the car to a car cleaning place and parked it at the entrance. Some biker (while taking his bike out) reversed into my car's rear door. There was a small dent/ding on the door. I looked around on the interwebs and found this glue gun method to remove a dent. Found this pop-a-dent kit on Amazon. It was just 498 rs + shipping, so thought of trying it out.
Rahul, this post is right on time for me. Thanks for sharing this to begin with. I have looked at various pop a dent videos on youtube recommending products available on Amazon in the US. When i try to find similar products on Amazon.in, i mostly find ones that look like a knockoff of the original one and the reviews are not confidence inspiring either, mostly complaining about missing items or the glue gun not working etc.

The second question i have is, can we remove the smaller dents? I have couple of small dents on my car.
gurudutt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 19:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
For bigger dents (read the bird bath sized dents) it is simpler to open the inside panel and push it from inside. A gentle nudge is usually enough. I have tried it on my Alto a couple of times when the kids in the society decided to push the car for reasons best known to them.

However for smaller dents, the glue gun may be useful.
Yes removing the panel and pushing would be easier but if you dont have the right tool you might end up damage the panel more. I guess a rubber mallet would do the job, again you have to be really careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub.g84 View Post
Thanks Rahul. For a long time I have been searching for something similar to get rid of the ugly dents that I have on all 4 door creaselines on my Punto. Thanks to the parallel parking I have and the careless adjacent car owners. But do you think it will serve the purpose for my car as the dents are not on the flat surface, but rather the crease lines just below the windows?
Post some pics if you have, but i doubt if those can be pulled out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
The glue sticks are available in most stationery shops. The POP-A-DENT that I had purchased came with 3 sticks and none of them were good enough to hold the pullers in place. I then got a new set of glue sticks (available at Odyssey in Chennai) and those were strong enough to hold the pullers in place till the dents were pulled out.

Wow! thats some neat work you have done there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Nice DIY Rahul and Captain Rex.

thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Good DIY Rahulkool and CAPTAIN REX. This was one thing I always saw on teleshopping. Now I know that some teleshopping ads can be actually true
Thanks, i didn't knew it was available on teleshopping, i came across while googling to repair the dent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
Rahul, this post is right on time for me. Thanks for sharing this to begin with. I have looked at various pop a dent videos on Youtube recommending products available on Amazon in the US. When i try to find similar products on Amazon.in, i mostly find ones that look like a knockoff of the original one and the reviews are not confidence inspiring either, mostly complaining about missing items or the glue gun not working etc.

The second question i have is, can we remove the smaller dents? I have couple of small dents on my car.
Removing smaller dents is difficult than bigger ones because surface area is smaller, it will take longer time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks