Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2018, 17:36   #16

Re: DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III

a4anurag & I did this DIY together, we decided a4anuragwill take care of the DIY post since I'm basically lazy. In addition to a4anurag's post, adding some shots from my setup and some tips.

Kit ordered from TheRetroFitSource.com
DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-morimoto-contents.jpeg
  • TheRetroFitSource.com guys were really helpful with a lot of my queries. They were very helpful and sent me swift responses.
  • The kit costed me US $390 with 10% discount, would have costed me US $250 if I had waited for Thanksgiving discounts. Didn't have to pay any customs at the airport.
The Shield Drop Mod
  • This a relatively simple mod if done right and it apparently increases the low beam intensity by 20-30%. This mod was originally done by Lightwerkz guys and posted on Facebook. a4anurag was more than satisfied with his output so he decided not mod his setup, plus his setup is running on 50W. Since I was on 35W setup, I decided to get it done.
Steps for the 'Shield Drop' mod
  • Remove the lens from the projector by removing 6 screws which hold them together
  • Remove the shield from the projector by removing 4 screws which hold them against the projector bowl
  • Using a 4mm steel drill bit enlarge the existing holes, care should be taken so that the new hole is even otherwise the shield will not be horizontal.
  • File the edges of the shield so that it can be lowered when put back together
  • Place the shield on the reflector bowl and push the shield all the way down. Make sure the shield is perfectly horizontal before screwing the lens back on.
  • To check the horizontal alignment, use a ballast and 12V setup to fire up against a wall while the projector is placed perfectly horizontal on a table or even surface.
  • Avoid screwing and unscrewing more than twice, as the threads are aluminium and they tend to wear easily.
Shield after the mod
DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-img_7874.jpg

DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-img_7873.jpg

DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-img_7870.jpg
The rotational shift blunder
  • In my case, I did not check if the shield was 100% horizontal before sealing the assembly. As a result my passenger side low beam looked as if there was a rotational shift. Had to take help from Motofocusz, Chennai and reopen the assembly to fix it. This guy knows the stuff and has been doing it for 9+ years without much advertisement. Recommend this guy for any retrofit or lighting related works in and around Chennai.
DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-rotational-shift.jpeg

DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-img_7888.png
After fixing the shift
DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-img_7890.jpg

DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-img_7891.jpg

DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-img_7893.jpg

DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-img_7894.jpg
Some tips
  • As posted earlier on Anurag's ownership log, I went with OSRAM D2S Xtreme Night Breaker Laser 4200K. According to a test done by TRS posted on HID planet, these are the best bulbs currently on the market with highest intensity. They cost a whopping $140 for a pair. As you might know, HIDs generate a lot of UV I didn't want to take risk and see my headlight clear lens fade after some time.
  • Get Stainless Steel 50mm+ length M4 bolts for mounting D2S onto the Ali-express sourced frame. We were able to get 50mm but 55mm or longer would have been better. Notice the picture, 500mm leaves very little room for adjustment. Sourcing 50mm+ length bolts was a nightmare, roamed all around Coimbatore and Chennai but I was able to get 50mm. I was able to get 65mm M4 bolts but they were not stainless steel and they may rust after sometime. (SS 40mm, SS 50mm, 65mm yellow bolt)
DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-ss-bolts.jpeg
  • Use thread locker on all nuts so that they don't loosen over time. When removing the headlamp for adjusting the rotational shift, thread locker was completely cured. Took a good torque to unscrew them.
DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-thread-locker.jpeg
  • Use PET braided wire sheath to cover the wires, looks neat and professional. We had to cut the OEM input wire to extend further, covered up the extension with this.
DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-depinning-tools.jpeg
Dust cap with D2S grommets (used 38mm hole saw bit)
DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-dust-cap.jpeg
Adapter Frame (Left is filed to meet the spec & right is yet to be filed when shot)
  • Used a needle file to enlarge the hole, one of the toughest thing I had to do.
DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-img_7708.jpg
D2S bolted onto the adapter frame with SS bolts
DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-img_7785.jpg
DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-img_7786.jpg
Some test shots before shield drop mod was done
DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-img_7789.jpg
DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-img_7790.jpg
DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-img_7791.jpg
Some more shots of the cutoff line
DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-blue-flicker.jpeg

DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-blue-flicker-shot-2.jpeg

DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-wide-view.jpeg
Gas strut fitted onto bonnet helped us a lot during this DIY
  • Bought this on Aliexpress, made specifically for ix25 AKA Creta
DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-gas-struts.jpeg
Conclusion
  • Will soon post a dashcam footage of reaction of the guys who come at me with their high beams.
  • Two words - Unspeakable-word** Amazing.
dinesh17 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 15:43   #17
BHPian

Re: DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III

That's some super detailed thread man. Simply awesome read and so much information packed. Hope to meet your Creta soon since you are based out of Hyderabad.
ARAY is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 15:51   #18
BHPian

My god! Mind blowing operation & exceptionally well written. A DIY like this & a composition of that, hats off! If I ever want to upgrade headlamp, you will be right person to connect!

Rated 5*
cp171185 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 15:46   #19
BHPian

Great summary of all steps. And the difference between OEM and this setup shouldn't be compared. The difference is night and day (pun intended)

Hope to replicate this for my Creta too. Am keen to go with OSRAM D2S bulbs like Dinesh

Last edited by csateesh : 29th November 2018 at 15:48.
csateesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 20:26   #20
BHPian

Nicely done!

Really like the bracket you guys found, no need to bother with rotational alignment, probably the trickiest part of any projector retrofit. Also looks a lot cleaner than going the m-seal route.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 20:38   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Really like the bracket you guys found, no need to bother with rotational alignment, probably the trickiest part of any projector retrofit.
Exactly. The bracket was the best find and solved every problem related to fitment + alignment in the whole retrofit.

PS: When are you upgrading to D2S 5.0?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 20:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Exactly. The bracket was the best find and solved every problem related to fitment + alignment in the whole retrofit.

PS: When are you upgrading to D2S 5.0?
I thought you were going to wait for the 5.0's too. Don't blame you though, "Is on the horizon" was almost a year back. It's totally worth the illumination/output.
Old 29th November 2018, 21:47   #23
BANNED

Quote:
I thought you were going to wait for the 5.0's too. Don't blame you though, "Is on the horizon" was almost a year back. It's totally worth the illumination/output.
Mini D2S 5.0 output shot released on HID Planet forum, looks nice but no clear date when it'll be released. Some say it will be out in December.

DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-8yvh0vq.jpg
Old 29th November 2018, 22:03   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Mini D2S 5.0 output shot released on HID Planet forum, looks nice but no clear date when it'll be released. Some say it will be out in December.
Yes I saw that post and agree with one of the commenters about the step cut-off looking better/cleaner than the sloped version. Looking forward to seeing results from the final product.
Old 29th November 2018, 22:24   #25
BANNED

Sharing two images that I captured today using my OnePlus 3T.

Low Beam
DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-img_20181129_201501.jpg

High beam
DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-img_20181129_201518.jpg

Fog lights were switched OFF in the images and headlight was at Level 1.

Last edited by a4anurag : 29th November 2018 at 22:25.
a4anurag is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 13:47   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sharing two images that I captured today using my OnePlus 3T.
Excellent Output. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 is a beast when it comes to high beam . D2S 5.0 looks promising, will consider installing that in my S-Cross. Need to find a good installer which is another difficult job as I have no time and energy for DIY .
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 22:15   #27
BANNED

Quote:
I thought you were going to wait for the 5.0's too. Don't blame you though, "Is on the horizon" was almost a year back.
Mini D2S 5.0 launched!

Here are some images taken from TheRetrofitSource website.

DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-morimoto_mini_d2s_5.0_bixenon_headlight_retrofit_projectors_6.jpg

DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-morimoto_mini_d2s_5.0_bixenon_headlight_retrofit_projectors_1_22.jpg

DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-morimoto_mini_d2s_5.0_bixenon_headlight_retrofit_projectors_2.jpg

DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-morimoto_mini_d2s_5.0_bixenon_headlight_retrofit_projectors_low_action.jpg

DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-screenshot_20181205221334__01.jpg

DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-screenshot_20181205221332__01.jpg

DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-screenshot_20181205221336__01.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 22:22   #28
BANNED

Been almost 1 month and 15 days after this retrofit and have done almost 2,500 kms so far and pretty happy with the setup. Sharing images that I clicked today. Image quality (grainy) is poor as it was from my mobile so pardon me for that.

Low beam
DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-img_20190104_193846.jpg

High beam

DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-img_20190104_193905.jpg

DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-img_20190104_193823.jpg

DIY Install: Hyundai Creta Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III-img_20190104_194202.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 14:01   #29
BHPian

Excellent thread Anurag and Dinesh, very detailed and informational. I am also looking for a headlight retrofit for my 2018 Verna but I will not be able to pull off such a laborious and finicky DIY myself, so I am trying to find someone in Bangalore to get the installation done.

I have a few questions, appreciate if you can answer those which will greatly help me with this project.

1. I didn't quite get the igniter story, what is the difference between AMP type Morimoto XB and Morimoto D2S type igniter? Any pros/cons? Why Anurag chose the AMP type while it looks like Dinesh's setup was more convenient?

2. 35W or 55W bulb, what is your recommendation?

3. Is the retrorubber or equivalent sealant available locally?

4. What is the purpose of motor with 2-pin connector mentioned in orignal post?

5. Headlight levelling motor - I thought headlight levelling was manual for Verna/Creta?

6. How did you identify the exact mounting bracket for Creta? Do you know if it will be suitable for Verna?
Old 12th March 2019, 15:42   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
1. I didn't quite get the igniter story, what is the difference between AMP type Morimoto XB and Morimoto D2S type igniter? Any pros/cons?
In Dinesh's setup, the D2S bulb mounts directly on the igniter whereas in my setup the igniter is separate and outside. My case there is an extra wiring harness where on one end it is D2S bulb base and the other end is AMP type connector.

Quote:
Why Anurag chose the AMP type while it looks like Dinesh's setup was more convenient?
Dinesh ordered his setup from TheRetrofitSource, USA (TRS) whereas I ordered it locally.

Quote:
2. 35W or 55W bulb, what is your recommendation?
More of a personal choice I'll say. Brightness is slightly better in 55W but life is lesser in 55W compared to 35W. All major HID bulb like Phillips, Osram manufacture and recommend 35W setup.

Quote:
3. Is the retrorubber or equivalent sealant available locally?
Retrorubber will be included in the package if asked for. I strongly recommend using it. No idea about equivalent types.

Quote:
4. What is the purpose of motor with 2-pin connector mentioned in orignal post?
The motor is what changes the shield position switching beams from Low beam to high beam.

Quote:
5. Headlight levelling motor - I thought headlight levelling was manual for Verna/Creta?
It is scrolling type adjustment.

Quote:
6. How did you identify the exact mounting bracket for Creta? Do you know if it will be suitable for Verna?
100% credit goes to Dinesh for finding that bracket. It was his effort there.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th March 2019 at 19:51. Reason: Fixing typo as Reported
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks