Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2018, 12:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

DIY: Installing cruise control in a Toyota Fortuner

Thanks to Sudhir Singh for sending these images and information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Background:
I own a November 2016 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 4x2 MT. As many of you already know, it didn’t come with cruise control.

Recently, Toyota updated the Fortuner and Sept 2018 onwards, the 2.8 4x2 MT variant comes with cruise control. As my daily average running is 100+ km, I wanted to add this missing feature to my car. After searching through various YouTube channels and websites, I came to know that cruise control can be added to my car:
DIY: Installing cruise control in a Toyota Fortuner-diy-1.jpg

I made a list of the parts required and visited the Toyota dealership and asked if this can be done. They had no clue regarding this modification and said that it can’t be done. But when I showed them various YouTube videos and BHPian Sankar's post about adding cruise control in the Innova, the Toyota Service Head agreed to place an order for the parts required and try this modification, but was not sure if it would work or not.

Parts required:
1. Cruise Control Switch (Part No: 84632-34011):
DIY: Installing cruise control in a Toyota Fortuner-diy-2.jpg

DIY: Installing cruise control in a Toyota Fortuner-diy-3.jpg

2. Wire for cruise control switch (Part No: 84633-48020):
DIY: Installing cruise control in a Toyota Fortuner-diy-4.jpg

DIY: Installing cruise control in a Toyota Fortuner-diy-5.jpg

3. 2 screws (Part Number: 90159-50199, but Part Number: 90159-T007 will also work fine):
DIY: Installing cruise control in a Toyota Fortuner-diy-6.jpg

DIY: Installing cruise control in a Toyota Fortuner-diy-7.jpg

4. Steering wheel cover (Part No: 4516-0K100-C0)

And most important - Willingness to take the risk & try this on your 30L+ car!

As adding a cruise control switch requires removing the steering airbag, I thought it will be a good idea to get it done professionally by Toyota (Labour Charge was only Rs. 302):
DIY: Installing cruise control in a Toyota Fortuner-diy-8.jpg

After getting confirmation of the arrival of the required parts, I booked a service appointment at the Toyota dealership.

Tools required:
1. Small flat head screw driver to open the steering wheel airbag module
2. Ring connector
3. Small wire (1 mm copper)
4. Wire stripper

Actual Process:
1. First, the battery negative terminal is disconnected. Wait for 3-5 minutes to avoid accidental discharge of airbag.
2. Remove the steering airbag (horn pad) by placing a small flat head screwdriver through the hole and gently moving the horn pad.
3. Remove the steering wheel cover towards the bottom right.
4. Place the cruise control switch at its designated place and secure it with two screws. Do not remove any other wire from the spiral connectors of the airbag, horn and steering mounted controls.
5. Take the cruise control wire and put one end in the cruise control switch and the other end in the empty slot in the spiral connector on the steering column. Put the steering mounted airbag and horn pad back in its position and reconnect the battery negative terminal.

You are done!

Time to hit the road and try to activate the cruise control above 40 kph. In most Toyota models, this will work. But in my case, it was still not working.

Solution:
For Fortuner model number: GUN166R-SXFMHX (my car)

The service incharge thought of comparing all part numbers in 4x2 MT with 4x4 MT. After searching through all the required part numbers and the wiring diagram, we came to know that there are two types of steering wheel spiral cables. According to the wiring diagram in the workshop manual, we need to supply negative 12V to the cruise control black wire.

There are two ways of doing it:
1. Adding a small wire directly to the metal part of the steering wheel and not touching any other connector of the spiral cable.
2. Taking negative supply from the audio control connector and then connecting to body negative (I don’t remember the pin number. This was according to Toyota’s Wiring Diagram).

We chose the first option and gave it a try. This was done with the help of a small wire and ring connector:
DIY: Installing cruise control in a Toyota Fortuner-diy-9.jpg

DIY: Installing cruise control in a Toyota Fortuner-diy-10.jpg

Put the steering mounted airbag and horn pad back in its position and reconnected the battery negative terminal. Switched on the car and there was no error message or error code.

Cruise control is active:
DIY: Installing cruise control in a Toyota Fortuner-diy-11.jpg

The steering wheel cover was installed today. It cost Rs. 218 including installation charges.

So, the total cost of installing cruise control was Rs. 5,303+218 = Rs. 5,521:
DIY: Installing cruise control in a Toyota Fortuner-img_5255.jpeg

DIY: Installing cruise control in a Toyota Fortuner-img_5254.jpg

DIY: Installing cruise control in a Toyota Fortuner-img_5253.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 26th December 2018 at 10:14.
ChiragM is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 12:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: DIY: Installing cruise control in a Toyota Fortuner

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 11:33   #3
BHPian

Re: DIY: Installing cruise control in a Toyota Fortuner

Excellent work ChiragM!!

So cruise control can be added to a 30L+ car for 5500 odd rupees. That too with all genuine spare parts and at company service centre!!
No wonder Toyota is so popular and perceived as value for money.
But I wonder why would toyota not offer it as original fitment as it would cost the company even less.
risham is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2018, 13:39   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by risham View Post
Excellent work ChiragM!!

So cruise control can be added to a 30L+ car for 5500 odd rupees. That too with all genuine spare parts and at company service centre!!
But I wonder why would toyota not offer it as original fitment as it would cost the company even less.
Toyota has started providing cruise control as a standard feature on the Fortuner from mid 2018 onwards. The earlier models did not have the switch but had all the other components which is actually dumb. Anyways better late than never!
Old 26th December 2018, 12:12   #5
BHPian

Hi,
Is this also the case with Innova crysta? If any member can shed light if cruise control can be added in such a simple manner to Innova crysta automatic it would be helpful as I want to do that.
regads
Old 26th December 2018, 12:34   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks ChiragM for sharing this story

I think the next DIY mod Mr Sudhir Singh should attempt is to make his 4x2 a 4x4
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 14:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by risham View Post
Excellent work ChiragM!!

Yeah. I am also with the same doubt in mind!
Was that because it was not popular when the vehicle was purchased?
And great job chirag
Its also good to see the technicians helping do the modifications at the service center. Did they create any hiccups before supporting in doing this?
Old 28th May 2019, 14:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Any idea if this could be installed on the previous gen Fortuner manual transmission?
Old 28th May 2019, 15:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Any idea if this could be installed on the previous gen Fortuner manual transmission?
The prev-gen Fortuner had cruise control in the AT variant so that part can easily be installed in the manual variant as well. Will your Toyota service center agree to do it though, that's another story.

There are a couple of Thai & South African forums where people have installed it in the MT variant and even I was eyeing the same given my increased highway runs.

My visit to the Toyota A.S.S is due in June so if I go there and they agree to do it then I'll definitely update here.
Old 28th May 2019, 15:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have a pretty good connect with my toyota ASS. Will try it during my next service.

Just for your info: all the above parts are the same for our car too except for the steering cover (https://oriparts.com/5/25/53/139643#item_4442441).
84632-34011
84633-48020
90159-50199

The part number for the steering cover is 45186-06140-C0 (assuming the interiors in your car is also black).

Please let me know what your A.S.S says.
Cheers,
Deepak

Last edited by starter : 28th May 2019 at 15:10.
Old 14th June 2019, 22:24   #11
BHPian

I would be eagerly waiting for positive inputs if this upgrade can be done on Gen-1 FL - 3L D4D MT 4wd.
Old 15th June 2019, 12:05   #12
BANNED

Thanks for sharing, hiccups and All.

I am sure it will prompt many Toyota users to add this. Your description is also pretty inclusive.
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post

So, the total cost of installing cruise control was Rs. 5,303+218 = Rs. 5,521:

Jeez, I ordered Altis G AT. One of the differences between top end V AT and G AT is lack of cruise control. If it costs so less, I wonder why they skimp it (NOTE: G AT comes with paddle shift but no cruise control)

Any idea, how do I find part nos for Altis?
Old 17th March 2020, 09:10   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
Jeez, I ordered Altis G AT. One of the differences between top end V AT and G AT is lack of cruise control. If it costs so less, I wonder why they skimp it (NOTE: G AT comes with paddle shift but no cruise control)

Any idea, how do I find part nos for Altis?
Hi Dhruva,
How did you go about this? I recently bought a used G AT and 2 things I am missing most are cruise control and power seats. Did you get cruise control added?
Old 8th April 2020, 10:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajosh View Post
Hi Dhruva,
How did you go about this? I recently bought a used G AT and 2 things I am missing most are cruise control and power seats. Did you get cruise control added?
No. Mine also G AT.. Service Adviser wanted me to wait out the warranty period. So not trying anything fancy now.
druva is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks