Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2019, 22:10   #16
BHPian

re: Tata Nexon DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps installation

Very useful mod. just one thing itches me is the mounting point of the ballast. Might cause electro-magnetic interference, though its believed ECU's have magnetic shield still concerning. And the ABS module is known to vibrate a lot during motor operation which may cause early failure of the ballast. Now that you have a blue tooth switch, consider hiding the ballast under the headlamp and the bluetooth module under the fuse box. dealer wont notice initially and wont deny warranty support if battery or any other electrical failure. Vehicle will look stock and will skip regular eyes.
Living2Drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 07:57   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata Nexon DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps installation

Thanks! Glad you liked it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living2Drive View Post
Might cause electro-magnetic interference, though its believed ECU's have magnetic shield still concerning.
The LHS ballast is about a foot away from the ECU, on the headlamp housing. The wires' lengths mean there isn't much margin to work with. Otherwise actually I'm not a person who trusts 3M tapes & always prefer good metal custom mounting brackets. In this case, had no choice but 3M and zip ties thanks to wire lengths & fog light positions.
Quote:
And the ABS module is known to vibrate a lot during motor operation which may cause early failure of the ballast.
Does the module vibrate a lot really? It seems quite rigidly mounted leaving little motion possible. Nevertheless, as I mentioned earlier in the mounting details, I myself feel its not the best place & headlamp is the right one on RHS too. So will move it in a while.
Quote:
Now that you have a blue tooth switch, consider hiding the ballast under the headlamp and the bluetooth module under the fuse box. dealer wont notice initially and wont deny warranty support if battery or any other electrical failure. Vehicle will look stock and will skip regular eyes.
I don't want to place these things "under" anything as that would mean the 3M tapes have a big enemy in gravity. In current mounting at least its vertical giving 2nd best position for adhesives (after horizontal above something) & also has given me excellent nooks and crannies to route additional zip tags. That won't be possible under the headlamps.

Have kept the BT module intentionally inside fuse box as that guarantees water proofing without having to seal the module into some container. This way it will get enough air circulation as well for better heat management. At Tata service - they never open anything unless reported as broken. So No way they are going to take those extra efforts to open the fuse box just like that. Hidden benefits of buying cars from Tata/Mahindra.

I have been going to the same service center now for ~10 years. Know absolutely everyone there & we have a very good working relationship. As long as I can explain the things & how they are done, they don't trouble warranty. That's why I go overboard sometimes in mods to ensure nothing stock is touched or even "wire-tapped" (BT switch instead of grommet puncture for example). Good people them and lucky me!

As for hiding - there are a total of 4 ballasts in the engine bay now. Don't think I can hide them all.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 21:24   #18
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps installation

Question about the OEM Projector size in the Nexon for low beam, is it 2.5 inch. I want to either replace the dotted lens to a clear lens or completely replace projector with a higher quality one preferably with metal reflector for longevity.
Old 4th November 2019, 10:24   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingHuman View Post
Question about the OEM Projector size in the Nexon for low beam, is it 2.5 inch. I want to either replace the dotted lens to a clear lens or completely replace projector with a higher quality one preferably with metal reflector for longevity.
I haven't measured but it appears same size as my new fog lamps. So 3 Inch it would be. however - all Nexons pretty much are still in warranty. Opening the headlamp to make these changes would be frowned upon. Make sure you have a good relationship with your TASC team before you do this.

Installing projector fog lamps would be a simpler solution IMO. And much cheaper overall too. No potential risks of air leak and condensation in the headlamp etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
High beam solenoid activation
So now the primary functional requirement is implemented. What remains is wiring up the high-beam solenoid controller wires separately as a fuse tap into the high-beam fuse in box. Should not take more than an hour or so if all goes according to my theoretical understanding of how it should work. But then there can always be surprises. Fingers crossed.
Completed this in 1 hour yesterday. Stumbled upon a surprise though. I connected the +ve wires of both fogs together using typical electrical connector strip & ran a wire to the fuse box.

Unfortunately, the high-beam fuse in the box is an "always ON" type. So it seems the high beams are powered by a negative switch! Big dead end. Fuse tap cannot be used.

What to do?
Simply tap the wire into the high beam wire in the headlamp assembly's master wire socket bunch. Its the PINK wire in the harness that goes into the headlamp assembly.

Either use a T-Tap connector onto that wire, or simply insert the wire safely into the plug socket on the inside in the right female pin. I have done the later & the results are excellent. High beam is working very well. They are immediately getting a lot of respect on the road & errant drivers coming in wrong lane or with high beams are immediately responding with a single quick high beam flash!!

Last edited by Reinhard : 4th November 2019 at 10:29.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 15:00   #20
BHPian

I would like to install a GPS tracker in my Nexon which I have purchased. Wondering which would be the most ideal location between under the bonnet installation or beside the driver seat. I would like to try only the tracking feature initially and experiment with the fuel cutoff feature for later.
https://www.banggood.in/CJ720-Global...r_warehouse=CN

Last edited by BeingHuman : 4th November 2019 at 15:02.
Old 4th November 2019, 15:15   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingHuman View Post
I would like to install a GPS tracker in my Nexon which I have purchased. Wondering which would be the most ideal location between under the bonnet installation or beside the driver seat. I would like to try only the tracking feature initially and experiment with the fuel cutoff feature for later.
https://www.banggood.in/CJ720-Global...r_warehouse=CN
Install it directly behind the fog lamp. Here are some alternatives.
  • Right in the fog lamp mounting holes.
  • The wheel wells on both LH/RH have pre-drilled holes with metal plates behind/under the headlamp which are not easily visible. You can use those to mount this with a bolt.
  • Simply use a 3M tape and stick it UNDER the headlamp housing on LH. Run the wire concealed along the sides to fuse/battery. It will be totally invisible. ECU is nearby in case you want to reach it in future.

If you want inside the cabin - tap it into the car's in-cabin fuse box to an always-on type fuse. Its near the right knee on drivers side. Size in the image makes me feel it may fit in that box or you can paste it under it fully invisible. A miscreant would generally check this as its a pretty common place to add such things due to ease of reach.

Last edited by Reinhard : 4th November 2019 at 15:18.
Old 7th November 2019, 09:44   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Adding a couple of more sourcing details for those looking to do this & needing sources.

Micro size fuse taps -
Link - Amazon.in Micro fuse taps x3
Note - this comes with 4-5 units of 5Amp spare fuses. That't not mentioned anywhere in the product listing. So a pleasant surprise.

12V BT Relay module -
Link - AliExpress 12V BT Relay Module
Note - See if GATI courier option is available for delivery. You'll get it within a week for a very nominal amount over free shipping. Worth it.

Illuminated Manual Switch to install on Dashboard -
Link - AliExpress Illuminated push button switch
Note - This comes with a double sided tape. You can simply paste it inside the coin holder or under it near driver's right knee. No drilling etc required.

Last edited by Reinhard : 7th November 2019 at 09:51.
Old 25th November 2019, 10:44   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been really enjoying these lights! I have never been so stress free on night drives in last 15 years. I think the best 7k INR ever spent across all categories for me! Have made up my mind to procure another set in another couple of months & installing them in the Alto. Being an AMT, it lacks stock fog lamps & installing the HIDs is a no brainer now. The AltoK10's engine bay is really empty & everything is reachable directly. So should be a very fast installation. 2-3 hours tops.

Won't go nuts with BT relay etc in case of the Alto though. Will simply tap the relay harness into the wire for the front position lights. That will mean fog lamps turn on with position lights are on (1st turn of headlamp stalk button). I don't think we'll ever turn that button to 2nd position afterwards. The DIY thread surely will come up once I do it. Some savings & some time will ensure that.
Old 5th December 2019, 10:08   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I recently did a kind of DIY with the help of owner of the car, Mr. Ajitabh for the fog lamps. Fitting the fog lamps didn't take much time but wiring part did. We did not go for the Bluetooth module one. There was supposed to be a standalone switch for it but I think either we did wrong connection to it or the switch was bad. As of now, the fogs are connected with parking lamps and they light up in low beam only when parking lamp is switched on. The wiring has to be redone but due to scarcity of time, it's pending. Moreover, one of the bulbs is apparently lose so that also needs to be looked up.

Tata Nexon DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps installation-img20191129wa0013.jpg
Only fog low beam.

Tata Nexon DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps installation-img20191129wa0014.jpg
Fog low beam and headlight's low beam.

Tata Nexon DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps installation-img20191129wa0015.jpg
Fog low beam and headlights high and low beam.

After working on a Nexon, I feel that Maruti cars are very modification friendly. It's much easier to work on my Brezza or Wagon R compared to a Nexon

Last edited by BoneCollector : 5th December 2019 at 10:36.
Old 22nd January 2020, 12:47   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Next Steps -
Fantastic stuff Reinhard. Will the same rear fog lamps fit the Tiago as well?

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd January 2020 at 13:36.
Sam.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 13:38   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
Thanks! Glad you liked it. Yes - the stock fog lights on Tiago and Nexon are the same 3" units. So the 3" IPHCar projectors also will fit in Tiago.

The one thing you need to check - clearance behind the fog light upto the plastic wheel well splash guard. I am pretty sure that it will fit without a worry. But anyway do check once before you buy the kit. I recently installed the same kit in my Alto K10 & it did fit without issues. Tiago's distance between the bumper fog light housing and wheel well certainly looks more than Alto K10.
Reference images here - My TBHP Alto Fog light thread (DIY - Maruti Alto K10 - HID Fog Light Installation)

What you should check is - where is the windshield washer fluid bottle placed in the Tiago & if your car has rear wiper also. My Vista had the rear wiper & the washer fluid bottle was stupidly placed between the RH front wheel and RHS front fog light. That meant there was no space to install the kit! As long as the space behind fog light is empty - you can install.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 18:02   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
I think I made a mistake in answering your question! Just realized that you were asking for the rear fog lights.
Yes - the same unit fits Tiago as well. And the Zest and so on. You'll find it on Boodmo on the link I have shared. The page also shows compatible cars for it & it has all these for the single item.
Old 7th February 2020, 12:52   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I think I made a mistake in answering your question! Just realized that you were asking for the rear fog lights.
Yes - the same unit fits Tiago as well. And the Zest and so on. You'll find it on Boodmo on the link I have shared. The page also shows compatible cars for it & it has all these for the single item.
Reihnard,thank you. LOL..no sweat.I did figure out that the part is common for Tiago and nexon.
Sam.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 12:26   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbhavesh View Post
Now that's even more interesting
In my city Surat, I am not able to find a shop who can do such neat and clean job. So, I am planning to do my projector installation a DIY. Is there any thread/video/theory where I can learn wiring?. I want to learn both fog light and headlight wiring. I have been going through this forum and internet, and so far I have reached where I join ballast to stock fog light wire because it's just coupler to coupler. Connecting the high/low shutter wire is the tricky job.
Hey, hope you don't mind me answering your question here, so as not to hijack a different thread altogether.

On this thread, I have covered most bits of the wiring you'll need. In addition, I have also done a DIY projector fog light installation on my Alto K10. There I have some better pictures of wiring. Have a look at that one too.

You can have a look here -
Alto K10 - Projector HID fog light installation (DIY - Maruti Alto K10 - HID Fog Light Installation)

For the high beam -
  1. Just couple together the red (+ve) wires coming from the top of the projector housing using a connector. And run a single wire from there, to either side's headlamp's high beam wire. You'll need to find the correct high beam wire of your car. And tap into it using what is called a "T-TAP" connector like most people do.
  2. In my cars - instead of T Tap, I have removed the wire from the stock bulb power connectors, inserted my high beam wire into it & then reinstalled the pin back. Cleaner than a T tap.
  3. The black wires from the projector housing (-ve) for the solenoid - simply couple them together and fix that into any nearest ground nut.

The overall setup wiring is very simple - you can PM me if you get stuck anywhere, I will be happy to guide you. Stay safe!
Old 21st June 2020, 14:09   #30
BHPian

Hi, I am planning to get this IPH bixenon fog light projector setup for my WagonR.
I found your thread to be very useful and I got a good deal of basic information regarding this kit after going through both your installataion threads.
Thanks for those detailed threads.

Regarding the kit, I have a few basic queries.

Which brand is your ballasts in the Nexon's setup? I couldn't make out the name from the images even after zooming.
I had a chat with the Motorbasket seller and he told me that they are dealing with EB-5 brand fast-start ballasts now.
He sent me a photo too and the pic seems similar to the ballasts in your Nexon.That's why I thought about asking you.
Is it ok to go with EB-5 ballasts? Or should I specifically ask for some other brand ballasts? Do you have any recommendations?
I am quite new to HID related stuff and so need your advice.

I'm planning to go for the 4300K bulbs since I don't prefer too much white light.
From your experience so far, how do you rate the 55W Crystal Eye 4300K bulbs compared to similar brands?
I had almost finalized the same IPH fog light kit from Blaze India.
But the reason I started to look elsewhere too, is because blaze india doesn't give anything below 5500K which is too white for my preference.
Was it the same reason that you too preferred Motorbasket over Blaze india?

And also what is your overall feedback after a few months of usage regarding output consistency, water-resistance of the projectors etc.
I'm sorry that I have asked too many questions, but your answers would be of great help to me. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks