Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2019, 12:37   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza

I had installed puddle lamps in my Wagon R but it was a very crude one, using the Chinese LED strips. Link (Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags) Although I was happy with them but lately a couple of them have stopped working. Plus the wiring is also not as per my liking inspite of getting help from MASS. So when I wanted puddle lamps in my Brezza, I started with contacting the source / encyclopedia of Maruti spares Leoshashi. And he reverted with the part number of puddle lamps used in Ignis and Baleno in just a few minutes! I ordered 4 of them on Boodmo and they were sent separately from different locations. Cost was INR 1500/- for 4 including shipping charges.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-pixlr_20191009123352514.jpg
Its a SGP!

At the outset, I will tell you guys that the snaps will be lesser than the work done because I did everything alone so was difficult to take snaps for all steps.

Panel removal -

I was not sure how to remove the panels. I asked my friendly MASS to send someone over who could help me with my DIY. But due to Durga Puja, it wasn't possible immediately. Thanks to Dr. Parvez of X-Roaders for sending me details on how to start, I started work on a relatively free day and thought of trial on right rear door first. Once it was done, I repeated the process for other doors also.

The panel was removed. To remove the panel, one needs to pull open the cover over the inside grip as well as inside the lock mechanism which exposes the screws. The rear panels of Brezza have 4 screws and a single lock that needs to be removed plus the rear triangular cover whereas the front panels have 3 screws and 2 locks and also the tweeter mount. Thereafter, you have to literally pull out the panel. The noise it made had me thinking that something broke but thankfully, nothing was broken. Once panel is pulled out, carefully the coupler for electrical connections is removed.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_115259.jpg
Removing the cover of inside grip.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_114632.jpg
Screw on lock panel.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_115445.jpg
Panels removed.

After removing the panel, I made a rough measurement of base of the puddle lamp and made a hole as per the size on underside of the panel. The hole was made using a heated paper knife blade. The rough edges were smoothened. Once I was sure of the fit of the lamp, I started with the wiring part.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_115053.jpg
Knife used for making the cut. Cloth wrapped at end as it was heated and then used.

Wiring-

I've used a Havell's 0.75sqmm wire for all the wiring. The wires were soldered onto the points of the lamp. I did not order the wiring harness because since this system is not in Brezza, I would have to cut and use the coupler, basically waste of money.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_114658.jpg
Before soldering.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_115428.jpg
After soldering and sealing with plastic glue.

After soldering the wires, I used liberal amount of plastic glue to seal all open contacts.

Routing the wires-

The rear gates have connection for the speakers, power windows and the locks. All these are routed through a rubber tubing. I saw a few videos on YouTube as to how I can route it through them. One of them advised to use a zip tie covered with oil or liquid soap to route it through the tubing and then pull out the wire. But before that, the speaker needs to be removed. It's held by 3 screws . Behind the speaker is the end of tube. The zip tie was passed through the tubing after using a liquid soap and wire was tied to it using another small zip tie. I must tell you this was so easy that I couldn't believe it. I was happy that I'll be able to do all the gates in a few sittings but I was majorly WRONG! Anyway, once the wire was passed out to the interior, I put it behind the panel that holds the seat belt.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_115523.jpg
Speaker removal.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_114719.jpg
The wire passed through a hole in sheet metal and routed to grommet tubing.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_114822.jpg
Wire passed through the tubing.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_114956.jpg
The zip tie used.

Since passing the wire through the rear door did not take more than 10 mins, I thought I'll do both the front ones in next sitting. So next day I started with front right side door. The lamp was fixed in same way. When I opened the tubing, I saw that there was no space to even pass a single wire as the front ones have a lot of wires going through it and they're routed through a plastic jack. I was stuck. Then after looking at many aspects, I saw there was a rubber lock on the lower side. I removed it. On the inside, there is a nut holding wires for earth. I removed the nut and was able to pass a copper wire through and through. Then the wire for lamp was taken out after making a small hole into the rubber tube and pulled out through that same hole, and then routed below the door sill to the B pillar area.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_115033.jpg
The earth wire with nut.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_114805.jpg
The hole as seen after removal of nut. The lower part was used for passing the wire.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_115315.jpg
The outer rubber plug through which wire was pulled inside.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_115141.jpg
Copper wire put to pull out the wire.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_115205.jpg
Copper wire through the hole.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_180815.jpg
This is how the wire is in front.

The wires from the front door and rear door were brought out to the B pillar and connected to each other.

Power source -

Since puddle lamps should work when gates are opened, there was no better place to take power from other than the dome lights. I preferred the central one as it has less of confusing elements.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_115332.jpg
The central dome light area with the connector to it (OEM wiring) and the connector of my connection. Right side wire has been routed.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_115242.jpg
One can see the way wire has been routed.

I don't have a snap of the dome light after I had taken power source from it. The wires were soldered and again covered by plastic glue. The connection is through a connector as seen in the snap. One side has wires to both sides and other side has power source. The wires were routed in between the roof liner and roof and passed behind B pillar panels. The connection was made and everything covered by waterproof tape and concealed. The panels were refit properly. There is no visible wire now.

Bulbs used -

The puddle lamps came with T10 5W bulbs.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_181502.jpg

I haven't used them. Instead I've used Philips 1W LED and that actually brightens the area. I've not changed the fuse because the earlier total wattage was 5W+5W (front dome), 5W (vanity mirror) , 5W (central dome) and 5W (boot light). Now all have 1W LEDs plus 4 LEDs in doors.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-screenshot_20191009152526__01.jpg

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-screenshot_20191009152531__01.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 18th October 2019 at 14:51. Reason: As requested
BoneCollector is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 22:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza

Now for final snaps.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_180651.jpg
Front door.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_180737.jpg
Rear door.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_180920.jpg
After LED was fixed.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_180756.jpg
The lamps are fixed in such a way that if I need to change a bulb, it can easily be removed and then fixed back.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191010_092504.jpg
Panel gaps are back to normal.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191010_092448.jpg

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191010_092828.jpg

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191010_092427.jpg

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_180720.jpg
Both doors open.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_180704.jpg
Driver's door open.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_180637.jpg
What I see from driver's seat.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-img_20191009_180906.jpg
Final snap.

Challenges-
  • The panels in front of door sill and seat belt area were difficult to put back initially but when I understood what was the issue, it was easily done.
  • Passing the wire for both front doors.

Current issues -

Technically, none.
  • The roof liner has got dirty at a few places. I tried working with gloves but I couldn't do it. It'll be cleaned soon.
  • I wanted to wrap wires in TESA tape but it's been over a month since it was ordered on Banggood and is yet to arrive. Maybe I'll do it at a later date.

This is another functional addition to my car. Some people may not like it and comment elsewhere but I hope this helps others.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 10th October 2019 at 12:44.
BoneCollector is offline   (77) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 08:18   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 09:31   #4
BHPian

Just One word EXCELLENT!

Had this on my mind and kept delaying it as i was not sure of cutting the panels in my sx4 and they are expensive too in case it goes wrong. I recently wired two windows module in my car to control opening and closing of windows via remote and also faced a major challenge to pass the wire through the connector in the front door, there just isn't any space to pass any wire through the connector and ended up doing like the way you have. Only difference is since it is a positive charge wire i used a corrugated wire sleeve and used tape over it just for the extra protection.

I will now attempt what you have, i have already fixed lights in the footwell using the dome power source and can plug the same in to the existing loom that i have.

Great DIY! Much needed in our cars.

Last edited by scorpian : 11th October 2019 at 09:39.
scorpian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 09:36   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow! A job well done & probably one of the most useful accessories being installed. The finish is factory grade & it looks OEM altogether. Very detailed steps indeed. I'm sure this is going to help all DIY enthusiasts who want a puddle lamp. Super job. Rated it 5 stars. I'm sure most accessory store guys (at least in Pune) would simply say "no this can't be done" if I asked.

The result is wonderful too. These things aid a lot in overall experience. Its sad that car makers give silly visual "features" like mood lighting but not really useful & safety oriented features like these simple puddle lamps.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 11:05   #6
BHPian

Nice job. I have always wanted to do it for my S-Cross but just haven't yet got the courage to open up and cut the door panels.

I also have a suggestion. I have installed led door sill plates and instead of taking a connection from the dome lamp, I have taken an always-on positive connection through a fuse tap in the fuse box and the negative through individual door switches.
This way, the door sill light comes on individually as per the door open rather than all being on/off even if one door is open.

It can be done the same way for puddle lamps as well.
car-dent is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 11:23   #7
BANNED

Excellent thread. Rated 5*.

What you did in terms of overall execution is much better and the 'correct' way of than what I've attempted in my Creta where the LED's are placed under the ORVM (half-light output is being blocked by the door itself).

Shall try modifying the same in my car too.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 11:40   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Just One word EXCELLENT!

Had this on my mind and kept delaying it as i was not sure of cutting the panels in my sx4 and they are expensive too in case it goes wrong.
Thanks. If you make a hole smaller than the lamp footprint, it's always easy to chisel a bit to make a perfect fit. Trust me, if you feel you can do it, there will not be any issue.

Quote:
I will now attempt what you have, i have already fixed lights in the footwell using the dome power source and can plug the same in to the existing loom that i have.

Great DIY! Much needed in our cars.
Yup, you can try that. But do be careful with wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Wow! A job well done & probably one of the most useful accessories being installed. The finish is factory grade & it looks OEM altogether. Very detailed steps indeed. I'm sure this is going to help all DIY enthusiasts who want a puddle lamp. Super job. Rated it 5 stars.
Thanks. I had always wanted to do it but I generally prefer doing things as per my convenience of time. That's why it was done so late in ownership. I agree it's one of the most useful features a car should have.

Quote:
I'm sure most accessory store guys (at least in Pune) would simply say "no this can't be done" if I asked.
The reason maybe the time it takes. It took me over 16 man hours to finish it stretched over a period of 4-5 days. Moreover, you'll not get a desired fit and finish if you are an enthusiast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
Nice job. I have always wanted to do it for my S-Cross but just haven't yet got the courage to open up and cut the door panels.
Please go ahead and do it. I fixed auto IRVM inspired by your DIY. I love Maruti for the ease of doing such mods due to easy access to locks and other stuff.

Quote:
I have installed led door sill plates ...

Ok . Let me see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Excellent thread. Rated 5*.

What you did in terms of overall execution is much better and the 'correct' way of than what I've attempted in my Creta where the LED's are placed under the ORVM (half-light output is being blocked by the door itself).

Shall try modifying the same in my car too.
Thanks. Do try it.
BoneCollector is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 01:06   #9
BHPian

Wow, awesome DIY man!
I've been looking for something exactly like this.

I want to attempt this on a 2019 Elite i20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
So when I wanted puddle lamps in my Brezza, I started with contacting the source / encyclopedia of Maruti spares Leoshashi. And he reverted with the part number of puddle lamps used in Ignis and Baleno in just a few minutes! I ordered 4 of them on Boodmo and they were sent separately from different locations. Cost was INR 1500/- for 4 including shipping charges.
Have a few questions for you-

1. Can I use the same parts that you did?
If yes, could you share the part numbers / Boodmo links?

2. With the way you've currently wired them, do all 4 puddle lamps turn on if any door is open or if the cabin light is on?

3. Any tips? :P

Quote:
I also have a suggestion. I have installed led door sill plates and instead of taking a connection from the dome lamp, I have taken an always-on positive connection through a fuse tap in the fuse box and the negative through individual door switches.
This way, the door sill light comes on individually as per the door open rather than all being on/off even if one door is open.

Does this method have any cons?
This is the desired effect I was looking for.
Old 18th October 2019, 06:28   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinp View Post
Wow, awesome DIY man!
I've been looking for something exactly like this.

I want to attempt this on a 2019 Elite i20.
Thanks.

Quote:
Have a few questions for you-

1. Can I use the same parts that you did? If yes, could you share the part numbers / Boodmo links?
I guess so. There shouldn't be any problem.
Link

Quote:
2. With the way you've currently wired them, do all 4 puddle lamps turn on if any door is open or if the cabin light is on?
In current setting, all of them light up when any door is opened. I would have loved to do what car-dent has said but since I was doing it alone, I was not aware of the wiring for door sill guards. I may use that option when I visit MASS and check with the electrician there.

Quote:
3. Any tips?
Order only 1 piece of puddle lamps and check if they'll fit into the door pads of your i20. If they can be fit, order for more.

Quote:
I'm also looking at same effect but like I said, I'm unaware of the exact wires so maybe I'll take help from electrician at MASS.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 17:18   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinp View Post

Even the maruti genuine door sill plates works together as one unit and not with individual doors. I just worked it out myself and found it to be pretty good.

I haven't had any problems yet with the door sill lights. You should go ahead and try it.

Meanwhile, I have ordered and waiting for these lights to arrive from aliexpress. This serves as a door open warning as well as puddle lamp and looks really premium to me. I just hope i am able to fit them properly. Have initially ordered only 2 for the front doors.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32798895490.html

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-welcome-light-1.jpg

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-welcome-light-2.jpg

Last edited by car-dent : 18th October 2019 at 17:29.
car-dent is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 18:40   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even the maruti genuine door sill plates works together as one unit and not with individual doors. I just worked it out myself and found it to be pretty good.
Can you share the way how you've done the wiring?

Quote:
Meanwhile, I have ordered and waiting for these lights to arrive from aliexpress.
These look great. I didn't search on Ali Express and Banggood. Maybe I'll scout for a standalone red LED lamp and fix them. Wiring is already done so shouldn't be an issue.
Old 18th October 2019, 19:11   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Can you share the way how you've done the wiring?
I took a positive wire from the fuse box through a fuse tap (always on). Connected positive wires of all the door sill plates to this wire.

When u open the door switch u see a single wire inside. basically what it does is that when the door is opened, the switch passes the current from the car's body (Negative) to the wire. I connected the negative of each door sill plate to the corresponding door switch wire. I didn't want to strip or damage the original wiring so I just inserted and twisted a wire into the switch terminal and then attached the original connector over it and applied some electrical tape over it.Somewhat like this. In the video, you can see towards the end that when I press the rear door switch, only the rear light goes off and the front keeps glowing.

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-door-switch.jpeg

DIY : Fitting Puddle Lamps on my Maruti Vitara Brezza-door-sill.jpeg

Last edited by car-dent : 18th October 2019 at 19:17.
car-dent is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 19:26   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I took a positive wire from the fuse box through a fuse tap (always on). .. I connected the negative of each door sill plate to the corresponding door switch wire.
That looks neat. But for me to follow this would mean more of work. So I'll skip this. Why fix something that ain't broke!
Old 18th October 2019, 19:29   #15
BHPian

Quote:
That looks neat. But for me to follow this would mean more of work. So I'll skip this. Why fix something that ain't broke!
Absolutely, its just a different way of doing the same thing. I added it here so that anyone following your thread can choose among the options available.
car-dent is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks