Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2020, 07:34   #16
BHPian

Re: DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps in our EcoSport

Level of satisfaction achieved after a successful DIY job is simply unmatched. Yes, the stock headlights look like candle in the camera.
100Rabh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 08:13   #17

Hi Chiranji,
First of all, Thanks for the detailed write up on your DIY job.

I am a proud owner of 2015 Titanium Ecosport and I can relate to each and every word about the stock HLs. I have upgraded to 100/90 with relay when the ODO was at 33k. Currently, my odo reading is at 83k mark and I haven't noticed any fading in the refectors.

Upgrading stock fog lamps to Bi Xenon was in my list from so long and your post inspired me to do it right away. Kindly help me with contact information of Blaze India to get this started.

Cheers!
saisaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 12:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Excellent write up. Great coverage of steps. The previous gen Ecosport with its round fog-lamps was perfect. The HID fog lights was a logical upgrade in this car & everyone should do it. Your thread will be able to guide even those with 0 DIY experience on cars to do it.
Thank you Reinhard, your 2 threads (Nexon & Alto k10) were of immense help to me. I went the simpler way, powered the HIDs directly with the stock wiring.
Quote:
Later on Ford revised the bumper & put trapezoidal fog lights with indicators in those. That was a disaster since now the car simply can't house HID bi-xenon projectors without too much modifications for the shroud etc.
Yup, the facelifted Ecosport can't accommodate these projectors without some extensive modifications to the bumper. Thankfully light output is better in the facelifted Ecosport, with the projector setup (low beam only). The S variant takes it one step further, gets HID bulbs for the low beam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Brilliant write up. You have gone into extreme detail and this will be helpful for any prefacelift ecosport owner. The Lights are also now offering brilliant throw and intensity.

Having recently, purchased an Ecosport S, the improvement in headlights is staggering on the new version. Kudos to ford for that!
Thank 07CR, indeed the improvement in lighting is huge. Congratulations on the Ecosport S, that car is an awesome package. The HIDs in low beam was a welcome addition in this variant (along with many other features). Even today if I were to buy a CSUV, Ecosport S TDCi would be my first choice provided budget is not an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRKarnati View Post
Congratulations!

Could you please share if you have more details on the type of Ballasts you got and selection preference you opted.

With Blaze India, I also felt almost a similar experience. they try to push more towards the available stock. Until and unless the received item is defective or not functioning they will try to support their execution/recommendations.

My Honda City is also running with iPHCar fog lamps from Blaze India. So far they are doing good with Great Improvement.
Thank you VMRKarnati. My HIDs are of AES make, I don't think the brand will make much of a difference since all of these come from China & are most likely made in the same factory. They are 55W fast start ballast. I wasn't given any other option for the ballast (I also didn't ask as well).

Nice to see a fellow user of these projector fogs. When did you get these projector fogs fitted & have you faced any issues yet? My experience with Blaze India has been very good, he answered all my queries properly. Only slight issue I have with him is regarding the bulbs he sent me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRKarnati View Post
Also, Ballasts will get too hot while running and during the long drive there will be more impact so I would advise shifting them away from the top of the fuse box and try to get them attached near to the metal base instead of the plastic.
I haven't yet done any long highway drive, will keep an eye on the heat generated by the ballasts. I think the insulation provided by the 3M tape & fuse box plastic cover should be enough. Still will keep an eye on it & if needed, will relocate the ballast to a different location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil.awate View Post
Fantastic. I am looking for something like this for my Figo Titanium (next gen, 2016 model), which has pretty useless fog lamps. Will it work? It has similar H11, round shaped fog lamps.
Only thing is, in Figo, fog lamps sit lower as compared to EcoSport.
Thanks swapnil.awate. It should work in the Figo as well, the stock foglight of Figo looks to be of same size as the ones on the Ecosport. A good friend of mine has a 2017 Aspire titanium & he is also looking to fit these projector fogs. He has told me that for Aspire (should be same for Figo) the fogs are mounted from the back of the bumper, so the front bumper would need to be removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Just bookmarked this URL - I can totally relate your challenges on the stock headlamps of Ecosport and I too just got rid of my 100/90W with its relay and harness very recently. My right headlamp reflectors are already showing its results.

Thanks to your detailed write-up - though I am not a DIY guy as yet, please share the contact details of Blaze India so that I can reach out to them to get one for me as well.
Thanks peterjim13, the stock headlight of Ecosport is simply not enough for highway driving (night time). I am also not a DIY guy, I went ahead with the project since the wiring part was plug & play. If you are not comfortable going the DIY way, any car accessories store or FNG should be able to do it easily.

Sharing the contact number of Blaze India:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Rabh View Post
Level of satisfaction achieved after a successful DIY job is simply unmatched. Yes, the stock headlights look like candle in the camera.
Thanks 100Rabh. Yup, the satisfaction after completing a DIY successfully is something else. The stock headlights somehow look even more hopeless in the photos. Though even in real life, the difference is huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisaran View Post
I am a proud owner of 2015 Titanium Ecosport and I can relate to each and every word about the stock HLs. I have upgraded to 100/90 with relay when the ODO was at 33k. Currently, my odo reading is at 83k mark and I haven't noticed any fading in the refectors.

Upgrading stock fog lamps to Bi Xenon was in my list from so long and your post inspired me to do it right away. Kindly help me with contact information of Blaze India to get this started.
Thanks saisaran. Nice to see that the 100/90W bulbs are serving you well without any issues. Sadly in my case, the headlights had started to fade after 25-30k km of fitting the 100/90W bulbs.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 23rd June 2020 at 12:37.
chiranjitp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 13:12   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
Thanks peterjim13, the stock headlight of Ecosport is simply not enough for highway driving (night time). I am also not a DIY guy, I went ahead with the project since the wiring part was plug & play. If you are not comfortable going the DIY way, any car accessories store or FNG should be able to do it easily.

Sharing the contact number of Blaze India:

Thanks so much, Chiranjitp, I couldn't resist reaching out to Blaze India post your write up and I am already in touch with them. I am already on a conversation with them through the Whatsapp number provided by them. I am anyway getting this delivered straight through the soonest, but have a few queries for you.

1. From what I understand from the set-up there is a connection wire which goes into the high-beam stalk of my headlamp. So we are looking at multiple modes of working with the fog and headlamp as there are 2 lights that can move from high beam to low beam. How does the normal operation go? Even though I do not plan to use the high beam of the fog lamp too often.

2. Again since I am new to Xenon's and this is some moment I was craving for - I hope I can get this done with the help of any local service centre.

3. As you said he is also recommending 5500K lamps - I am going with that as well.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers
peterjim13
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 13:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil.awate View Post
Fantastic. I am looking for something like this for my Figo Titanium (next gen, 2016 model), which has pretty useless fog lamps. Will it work? It has similar H11, round shaped fog lamps.
Only thing is, in Figo, fog lamps sit lower as compared to EcoSport.
After reading chiranjitp‘s DIY, I got it touch with Blaze India to inquire about this setup for my Ford Freestyle. The Seller told me that Ford model post 2016 requires a canbus kit as well.

Is it safe to use this non-branded canbus kit? Any possible safety hazards or harm to the vehicle associated with it?
Viraj.515 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 17:10   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks so much, Chiranjitp, I couldn't resist reaching out to Blaze India post your write up and I am already in touch with them.

1. From what I understand from the set-up there is a connection wire which goes into the high-beam stalk of my headlamp. So we are looking at multiple modes of working with the fog and headlamp as there are 2 lights that can move from high beam to low beam. How does the normal operation go? Even though I do not plan to use the high beam of the fog lamp too often.
Glad I could help you . There's no wire that goes into the headlight stalk. The projector high beam wire (i.e the solenoid +ve wire) goes to the H4 socket (where the HL bulb is fitted) inside the HL assembly. The H4 socket is a 3 pin socket, one of the pin is for the high beam, we need to tap in that wire.

If you drive with the fogs off, the lighting would be same as before. Only the headlights will be on (whether low or high beam). When you will engage high beam, the projector solenoid will get power, which will open the projector cut off plate (i.e move the plate upwards). Since the HID bulbs aren't on, there will be no light coming from the projectors. Only the plate will move up & down.

If you drive with the fogs on & engage high beam. The cut off plate will open as before, but since the HIDs are on, the fog light beam will be in high beam mode (since the cut off plate is open). When you engage low beam (in the HL stalk), HL & foglight both will be in low beam.

The high beam is a function of the projector & is completely separate from the HID bulb functioning (which will function with the fog light switch). The high beam solenoid just moves the cutoff plate up & down inside the projector, & if you switch on the foglights, the foglight will be in low/high beam mode depending on where the cutoff plate is (which is controlled by the HL stalk). Hope I was able to clear some doubts.

Here's a nice article by ACI (bi-xenon headlights is what we are interested in):

https://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fe...plained-404826

Quote:
2. Again since I am new to Xenon's and this is some moment I was craving for - I hope I can get this done with the help of any local service centre.

3. As you said he is also recommending 5500K lamps - I am going with that as well.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Any FNG should be able to do it, if you can guide them about the wiring. Blaze India seller is very helpful in this regard, he cleared all my doubts. You can also visit an accessories store or a car electrician.

Well I wanted 4300K bulbs but ended up with 5500k bulbs. Though from lighting output point of view, I personally have no complaints with 5500K bulbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraj.515 View Post
After reading chiranjitp‘s DIY, I got it touch with Blaze India to inquire about this setup for my Ford Freestyle. The Seller told me that Ford model post 2016 requires a canbus kit as well.

Is it safe to use this non-branded canbus kit? Any possible safety hazards or harm to the vehicle associated with it?
I just asked him about the Canbus thing, apparently Figo/Aspire has Canbus based wiring. No such issues for the Ecosport, my car itself is September 2016 registered.

He does have the canbus kit as well, it will be better to get the Canbus equipped HID kit if you plan to power the HIDs with your stock wiring (like my installation). Other option is to fit a separate relay (& a separate switch or direct connection with HLs), that way there will be no Canbus related issues (since we are not powering the HIDs with stock wiring).

Last edited by chiranjitp : 23rd June 2020 at 17:36.
chiranjitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 20:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Glad I could help you . There's no wire that goes into the headlight stalk. The projector high beam wire (i.e the solenoid +ve wire) goes to the H4 socket (where the HL bulb is fitted) inside the HL assembly. The H4 socket is a 3 pin socket, one of the pin is for the high beam, we need to tap in that wire.

The high beam is a function of the projector & is completely separate from the HID bulb functioning (which will function with the fog light switch). The high beam solenoid just moves the cutoff plate up & down inside the projector, & if you switch on the foglights, the foglight will be in low/high beam mode depending on where the cutoff plate is (which is controlled by the HL stalk). Hope I was able to clear some doubts.

Here's a nice article by ACI (bi-xenon headlights is what we are interested in):

https://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fe...plained-404826
Thanks, much chiranjitp, this is much clear now and I now get the whole concept as such. Now its for me to complete the shopping and wait for the stuff to reach me.

cheers
Old 24th June 2020, 11:04   #23
BHPian

An extremely detailed writeup brother, someone like me with little DIY knowledge will be very helpful from this thread.

I've seen the lights personally in your car and the quality of the lights from the brightness to their reach and spread is 100 times better than the stock setup. Heck, at first glance I had trouble finding out whether the stock halogen HLs are switched on or not, such is the brightness of the HID fogs. The tuning of the lights are also spot on since I never saw any oncoming car flashing their high beams.
Though personally I'd have preferred a more "yellow" setup since they are more easy to live with in our weather conditions, still this one is an upgrade very worth doing in the EcoSport.

Anyways, I'm planning the same upgrade for my Grand i10 in future since like your headlights my fog lights are pretty useless and now I know the perfect man to ring for the installation of the setup. You won't charge anything right?

Last edited by Tanveer02 : 24th June 2020 at 11:06.
Tanveer02 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 15:28   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Glad I could help you .
Hi Chiranjitp - I have just placed my order with Blaze India and in fact he also had a bunch of videos for the same.

Thanks so much for leading me here, and to your effort taken to put this on the forum.

Will update once I have it handy and will try to get some pics.

Cheers
Old 25th June 2020, 20:09   #25
BHPian

Great write up! I am planning on adding the same setup on my Fiesta, but this will entail taking the bumper off, which I am not confident enough of, without damaging the bumper.

Also, the HID kit from Osram on Amazon had a DH11 HID conversion kit, is this same as a H11 Socket?
motorpsycho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 02:05   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer02 View Post
An extremely detailed writeup brother, someone like me with little DIY knowledge will be very helpful from this thread.

I've seen the lights personally in your car and the quality of the lights from the brightness to their reach and spread is 100 times better than the stock setup.
Thanks brother, glad that you like the thread. The projector fogs are indeed very bright, they overpower the HLs by a big margin. Once the situation becomes normal, we should take one more TD at night, this time on a state highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer02 View Post
Anyways, I'm planning the same upgrade for my Grand i10 in future since like your headlights my fog lights are pretty useless and now I know the perfect man to ring for the installation of the setup. You won't charge anything right?
Sure, I am always up for a DIY. The Grand i10 has round fogs, so these projectors should be a direct fit. As for the installation charges, let's see what discount I can give you .

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Great write up! I am planning on adding the same setup on my Fiesta, but this will entail taking the bumper off, which I am not confident enough of, without damaging the bumper.

Also, the HID kit from Osram on Amazon had a DH11 HID conversion kit, is this same as a H11 Socket?
Thanks motorpsycho. The fog lights on the Ecosport are accessed from the front (i.e without opening the bumper), the Fiesta might have a similar setup. The Aspire on the other hand needs removal of front bumper as the fogs are mounted from the back. Maybe you could get the bumper removed at your nearest FNG, then fix the projectors by yourself.

AFAIK the Osram DH11 HID kit will directly fit in the OE H11 slot, just like the Blaze India HID kit. If you want to go the Osram way for the HIDs, you can buy the projector separately from Blaze India.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 26th June 2020 at 02:24.
chiranjitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 23:41   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Glad I could help you .
Hi chiranjitp, sorry for the late post here and infact I wanted to update by saying one quick note before I post my update since I went through your thread on the online scam you went through.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ing-scams.html (Experience with online aftermarket part buying scams)

But I must say that BlazeIndia has been very diligent in delivering the right updates including courier tracker, etc on time he even shared the box with my name and address before he sent it to me. But must admit that the confidence you gave me was the primary reason for me making the purchase from Blaze.

I received the lights at about 5-6 days from the date of payment and I kept the packet in my car for another 2 days before going out to fix this. Even though this is not a DIY (I could not do that despite of the confidence you gave - I am too lazy for that); I will try to post a few pics that I grabbed from my phone cam. The installation was done by an FNG here at my hometown and sharing the pics here.

DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps in our EcoSport-img_7266.jpeg
Just realised that my OEM fog lamps were by Valeo

DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps in our EcoSport-img_7267.jpeg
Unlike what chiranjitp had on his Ecosport this brackets seemed to be the right fit as it had two screw holders and two lock sort of thing - which meant that the fog lamp is safely secured with the help of stock set up. No jugaad here.

DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps in our EcoSport-img_7268.jpeg
Even though the fog lamp and its wiring were easily accessible, the technician was not confident enough to get things done that way from the fog lamp area - and he suggested the additional space by removing the headlamp (LHS) to keep the ballast securely. Our scotch-lock set up for the headlamp didn't work and there was some tampering required to connect the high beam shutter as well. So this helped.

DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps in our EcoSport-img_7274.jpeg
Sorry for the poor shot. The RHS Ballast was secured right on a standing posting closer to the headlamp area which the tech's felt confident of. The rest of the wiring was secured by wire tags and kept neat.

My LHS ballast went to the sides of windscreen wash container and looked secure to me, instead of the fuse box, as the distance was shorter - and they suggested this would make accessing fuse box difficult as well.

DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps in our EcoSport-img_7271.jpeg
So unlike chiranjitp - who used a much better approach by testing this before fixing, here it was all in a go that they went and the test is after all the fixing and wiring and securing.

I could feel the difference in the light output there itself and the staff there were all amazed by the output of the light. Given that was about 5 PM in the evening - I took my car back home and thought of doing a test run later in the evening. Overall the car looked a lot better and neat with the projector looking like a stock fitment.

I took out the car for a late evening drive amidst super heavy rains - the real acid test. I was purely amazed by the output and was super shocked to see that the high beams are almost close to heaven. But I could see that it makes the oncoming uncomfortable and hence choose not to use it- the low beam fog lamps without headlamps itself were much comfortable in heavy rain.

Here are some pics - they will not do justice to the output as they were taken in my phone cam.

DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps in our EcoSport-img_7328.jpeg
My stock headlamps alone - the colours are not true as my phone camera has done some tampering with its auto light adjustment.

DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps in our EcoSport-img_7330.jpeg
Just the fog lamps & headlamps (low beam) - Gentlemen. The camera adjusted its focus and now its a bit blurred.

DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps in our EcoSport-img_7331.jpeg
Behold both with High Beam.

DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps in our EcoSport-img_7333.jpeg
Interesting pic to show how it would look on the road - and also that the alignment of the RHS fog lamp is a tad low to help the oncoming traffic.

DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps in our EcoSport-img_7334.jpeg
Right from my home to see the position on a wall - but the camera made it too bright to show the cut-off

I must admit that I am super happy with the output and the investment on these new eyes.

DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps in our EcoSport-9f66ec4dca5349f38e2faf2a3da66a00.jpeg

I can't wait to take it to the highways in the night - may be on my way back to Cochin after lockdown.

In the meanwhile, Blaze has offered there H7 HID's for my XUV5OO as well. I am working on understanding the shadow issue which fellow bhpians had to make the purchase.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps in our EcoSport-img_7275.jpeg  

Last edited by peterjim13 : 9th July 2020 at 23:46.
peterjim13 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 11:39   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice setup & a really valuable addition to the EcoSport indeed. Well executed.
Quote:
My LHS ballast went to the sides of windscreen wash container and looked secure to me, instead of the fuse box, as the distance was shorter - and they suggested this would make accessing fuse box difficult as well.
I suggest you keep monitoring this mounting once in a while. The washer fluid tank is generally not made with too good a material & is fairly soft plastic like jerrycans. The ballasts heat up a LOT. It might result in slight deforming of the tank over time & will also heat up water inside it a bit (maybe resulting in cleaner windshield ).
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 20:31   #29
BHPian

Quote:
I suggest you keep monitoring this mounting once in a while. .
Very true Reinhard - I have been monitoring and just realised that - the RHS ballast has come off its sticker set up and might need a new place.

I do not want to risk on the windscreen fluid as well - will find a new home. Now I feel the fuse box will be the best place as recommended by chiranjitp
Old 12th November 2020, 12:57   #30
BHPian

I really am in need of some expert advice.

4×4 offroaderzz & carzz accessories Delhi is offering me 3 inch hid bixenon projector light 55 watt 6000k (canbus version) for Rs. 3400, but without any warranty. They'll charge Rs. 250 for delivery. Delivery time is 3 days.

This price is way lower than Blaze India or other such known dealers.
Also, in another thread, I read that how a fellow BHPian from Guwahati got cheated by an accessories shop in Delhi. I'm unable to find that thread now, since it's been a while now that it appeared on the homepage.
These are my main reason of being apprehensive.

I could not find any ratings of this shop on Google search or maps.
They have a Facebook page displaying all there products, but that too doesn't have any ratings or reviews.

Experts, kindly advice me if I should go forward with the decision of purchasing the kit. Also suggest me the precautions I should take in case I proceed with the purchase.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks