Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2020, 21:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: DIY: Steering-Mounted Audio & Bluetooth Controls (1st-Gen Ertiga)

Very meticulously done DIY. I could see the excitement in you when you personally demoed me your latest DIY. Job perfectly done. I was eager to see how you did the wiring. Thanks for the detailed thread.

You should try some DIY in some of our Classic cars and scooters. Please feel free if you wish to do.
arun1100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 07:55   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: DIY: Steering-Mounted Audio & Bluetooth Controls (1st-Gen Ertiga)

Wow. This is a pro grade DIY Parag. Definitely not for the faint hearted.

Great job!
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 11:31   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY: Steering-Mounted Audio & Bluetooth Controls (1st-Gen Ertiga)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I installed the Steering Mounted Audio controls on my 1st Generation (Type 1) Ertiga VDi and that makes me happy! So here’s a thread that I have penned capturing almost every possible detail that resulted in executing this not-so-easy DIY.
A typically high standard, high detail @paragsachania thread! Rated it well deserved 5 stars. Your DIY threads are a treat just to even read. I can only imagine how rewarding the actual implementation experience would be for you while you carry out the project.

Fantastic details, pictures & technical information. I'd not be surprised if your threads are found bookmarked as reference items at MASC service managers' workstations. You've really gone through all the details meticulously & covered each base with full attention. Enjoy the newly added convenience. Thanks for sharing.

What next? An Android head unit to better complement these buttons along with navigation? Cruise control?
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 12:38   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
some workmanship to mount the horn switch onto the steering.
Tell me about it. I even went to the market and purchased a tap wrench set thinking I will drill 5mm holes and thread them to fit the horn pad.

DIY: Steering-Mounted Audio & Bluetooth Controls (1st-Gen Ertiga)-tap-wrench.jpg

But somehow due to relentless efforts to carefully bend and align the mount, the horn switch/pad was a precise fit onto the steering wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Lets try cruise control next. As the previous time, I wish and you dispose
Possibilities are getting explored and even if have to spend some on a new steering and a contact coil with more pins to accommodate the cruise control buttons, I won't mind :-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Very meticulously done DIY. I could see the excitement in you when you personally demoed me your latest DIY. Job perfectly done. I was eager to see how you did the wiring. Thanks for the detailed thread.
Thanks Arun. In fact, last Friday when we met was the day I took the Ertiga for a spin for a distance when we met for dinner and indeed I was eager to show how the controls functioned as I was super excited about how things unfolded at every step towards the final outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
You should try some DIY in some of our Classic cars and scooters. Please feel free if you wish to do.
LOL, sure. This will require more lunch/dinner meets in the pristine western ghats to discuss what DIYs can be done on the Scooters and Classic cars!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Wow. This is a pro grade DIY Parag. Definitely not for the faint hearted. Great job!
Thanks Sagar and yes, this one was not an easy one to attempt in the first place. All the assessment was done merely on the basis of images and videos, especially to understand how removing few parts and complementing them with parts from newer steering should make things work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
A typically high standard, high detail @paragsachania thread! Rated it well deserved 5 stars. Your DIY threads are a treat just to even read. I can only imagine how rewarding the actual implementation experience would be for you while you carry out the project.

Fantastic details, pictures & technical information. I'd not be surprised if your threads are found bookmarked as reference items at MASC service managers' workstations. You've really gone through all the details meticulously & covered each base with full attention. Enjoy the newly added convenience. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you Reinhard. I already shared the thread link to one of my known Service GMs. As you noticed, the difficult part was only with the mounting of horn pad. I really wanted to draw it on a piece of paper and get a custom mount fabricated, to match the holes on the new steering wheel, retaining the top clamp from existing horn clamp but somehow the bending of clamp and adjusting worked for me and it fit very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
What next? An Android head unit to better complement these buttons along with navigation? Cruise control?
It will surely be a Head unit with Android Auto and not an Android Head unit. Already contemplating on Blaupunkt.

As of today, I am missing the BT because I cant take or make calls on my phone which I did earlier using my Kenwood HU. Plus, I don't want to spend on a SWC Adapter for the Kenwood to make the BT buttons work. I will rather buy a decent budget HU with Android auto, and then install this Kenwood in the WagonR, the ICE of which already runs on an Amp, Subwoofer and components speakers since 2008.

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th October 2020 at 12:40.
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 14:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
As of today, I am missing the BT because I cant take or make calls on my phone which I did earlier using my Kenwood HU. Plus, I don't want to spend on a SWC Adapter for the Kenwood to make the BT buttons work. I will rather buy a decent budget HU with Android auto, and then install this Kenwood in the WagonR, the ICE of which already runs on an Amp, Subwoofer and components speakers since 2008.
Are you saying that your WagonR has better ICE than your Ertiga?!?
congratulations on your succesful DIY.
Immensely gratifying, these exercises are.

Please share any details you have on SWCs please. I have been trying to get my Safari's controls to work but to no avail.

DIY: Steering-Mounted Audio & Bluetooth Controls (1st-Gen Ertiga)-20201013_140243.jpg

DIY: Steering-Mounted Audio & Bluetooth Controls (1st-Gen Ertiga)-20201013_140231.jpg

DIY: Steering-Mounted Audio & Bluetooth Controls (1st-Gen Ertiga)-20201013_140218.jpg

Once again. Congrats!
I could feel the happiness when you said
Quote:
MOMENT OF JOY – The damn thing responded!!!!!!!

We expect detailed updates on your head unit upgrade soon. Exciting.

Last edited by viXit : 13th October 2020 at 14:06. Reason: Added attachments and quote :)
viXit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 14:08   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Are you saying that your WagonR has better ICE than your Ertiga?!?
Definitely yes. It runs on a 4 channel Amp, with boxed speakers below the front seat also because the location of the stock speakers is on the Dashboard and it can accommodate just 4 inch speakers!

In Ertiga, the only thing I want to add in future to improvise the ICE is an amplifier and may be an under the seat subwoofer.

Quote:
Please share any details you have on SWCs please. I have been trying to get my Safari's controls to work but to no avail.
Depends on what head unit you have been using. Please share more details. At least all modern day head units come with learning function so they don't require any interface/adapters.

And in general, it is always this way :
- 2 wired interface for Stereo control function alone
- 3 wired interface for Stereo and BT Control both
If your Safari has both Stereo and Phone controls, you may need to find out from the workshop manual regarding the wires that send the signals to the HU and then we can get into the next stage of troubleshooting.

If you are using a head unit from an era that necessitated the need to have SWC Adapter, then I don't think you may find success.

I am certainly not contemplating on SWC adapter for my car because I anyway plan to replace the current HU with a Blaupunkt HU soon.

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th October 2020 at 14:10.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 14:24   #22
BHPian

Quote:
In Ertiga, the only thing I want to add in future to improvise the ICE is an amplifier and may be an under the seat subwoofer.
On the stock speakers?
Or was there a speaker upgrade I missed out reading on?

Quote:
Depends on what head unit you have been using. Please share more details. At least all modern day head units come with learning function so they don't require any interface/adapters.
My Safari storme VX 2012 came from factory with Alpine 126BTT as standard fitment and stalk audio controls with seek, volume and mode(source) buttons as seen in the photos attached in previous post. No bluetooth buttons.

Since we opted for explorer edition. The touchscreen unit was installed as a dealer fitment. It was Blaupunkt but booted with a TATA logo and all.

Both these head units supported the stalk controls. But the Blaupunkt one was very problematic, it would not work sometimes but it was compatible.
I don't know if there was an adapter in line to the HU.

Now I have an AVH X7859 BT fitted. Which has a self learn feature, but doesn't detect the controls from the steering controls.

Quote:
And in general, it is always this way :
- 2 wired interface for Stereo control function alone
- 3 wired interface for Stereo and BT Control both
If your Safari has both Stereo and Phone controls, you may need to find out from the workshop manual regarding the wires that send the signals to the HU and then we can get into the next stage of troubleshooting.

If you are using a head unit from an era that necessitated the need to have SWC Adapter, then I don't think you may find success.
Where can I find the service manuals?

I spoke to BHPian Ramie2400 who also owns a car audio store Sound Factor, he said that some coding would be required.

I think I can call my head unit fairly modern, it has stuff like dual bluetooth connections and mirrorlink. Only gripe is the controls.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Steering-Mounted Audio & Bluetooth Controls (1st-Gen Ertiga)-20201013_141114.jpg  

DIY: Steering-Mounted Audio & Bluetooth Controls (1st-Gen Ertiga)-20201013_141107.jpg  

viXit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 15:03   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On the stock speakers?
Or was there a speaker upgrade I missed out reading on?
I recently upgraded the speakers after damping the doors. You will find the details here.
Quote:
Now I have an AVH X7859 BT fitted. Which has a self learn feature, but doesn't detect the controls from the steering controls.
This model has setting up of SWC functions with and without an adapter. Details are available in the manual here - Refer to page numbered 35 in the PDF.

Also, as you said, the Pioneer model seems fairly modern and should pick up the signals.

Quote:
Where can I find the service manuals?
Check with your service center. Visit them once and request if you can have a look at the wiring diagram and then note down or take photo of the wires that are responsible to send signals from the stalks to the head unit.

You should be able to spot the signal wires from the stalks going directly from the steering stalks to the back of the HU. In that case its a straightforward connection. If it is entering elsewhere (CAN) and then getting into the HU, things will be complex.

Once you are able to figure out what these wires are, you can use a multimeter and do a resistance check - No buttons pressed generally displays resistance above 5000 ohms while pressing each button will generate resistance with distinct values.

Today most of the steering wheel buttons work that way and the learning function by modern day HUs only need to be told that a specific resistance that detects when you press a particular button means perform a specific function. This is how you do the assignment to all the buttons.

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th October 2020 at 15:05.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 20:16   #24
BHPian

I am waiting for Parag Sir's cruise control retrofit DIY. That will be a tough one I think as it might require change of instrument cluster and ecu as well although I may be wrong (and I wish to be proved wrong). I am looking to do the same in my Swift zxi+ as the latest facelifted dzire zxi+ is coming with cruise control but I am a technically challenged person.
indrasis_gun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 20:33   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrasis_gun View Post
That will be a tough one I think as it might require change of instrument cluster and ecu as well although I may be wrong (and I wish to be proved wrong).
Assessment till certain extent has been done. The current cluster has an indication light for Cruise but disabled. The ECU will need to be checked for the Pins etc.

However, if I have to install CC, I will also have to change the steering. Not sure if I can just order the CC buttons and put that onto the current steering (Brezza or S-Cross's buttons may not fit and I still need to assess this).

Apart from that, the contact coil will have to change. Current one has 6 pin I/O. The contact coil for cars with CC will have additional pins to accommodate CC button signals also.

But this will take time as there is good time that we need to invest to assess this further. If we succeed or even if there is a greater level of confidence that this will work, I am totally happy to put my money onto another steering and contact coil .
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 01:31   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, we have done this on a refreshed Storme. Here are the pin details
Pin no 4 (green) this will be connected to the HU and
Pin no 11 (Black) this needs to be extended and fixed to any body point as ground.
This is a separate connector (there are 3 in total, 2 are for power and speaker (brown and grey) the third one is the one you need to search white color coupler)..

Note : We have used it on a Android HU.

@ Parag sir, thanks for the detailed guide. Can you please let me know if you sourced a coupler to connect behind the HU (for audio controls).
varun560061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 08:57   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun560061 View Post
@ Parag sir, thanks for the detailed guide. Can you please let me know if you sourced a coupler to connect behind the HU (for audio controls).
Good to see you back Varun and thank you for reading through.

Regarding your question on the coupler to connect behind the HU, I have used the OE coupler itself since this was tested for functionality on my OE stereo system.

However, since my variant never came with steering audio controls, all 3 pins - 8, 19 and 20 are blanked in the coupler. Hence, during the testing that I carried out, I inserted 3 wires from the contact coil into this coupler such that when the coupler is hooked at the back of the HU, the 3 wires come in contact with the 3 male pins on the socket of the HU.

I have mentioned that here in my post as well:

Quote:
My car stereo’s OE coupler had no pins on location 8 (Stereo), 19 (BT) and 20 (Common). I couldn’t find compatible female Pins that I could insert into the coupler and test. However, since I was merely testing, I skinned the signal wires from my wiring harness from the contact coil and inserted carefully into the coupler and slid the coupler to the back of the Celerio’s Head Unit.
Update: On yesterday, I placed an order for an all new Head Unit with Android Auto that will get delivered on 18th. For installation of the same, I plan to use the same male coupler that I have used for my earlier Kenwood HU. However, since the OE stereo coupler from the car's wiring harness has pins blanked out for 8, 19 and 20, I will pass the 3 signal wires from the new stereo's harness and connect it to a 3 or a 4 pin male to female adapter. On the other side of the adapter will be 3 wires originating from the contact coil.

Will be posting these details once I complete the remaining part, hopefully by this weekend.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 11:13   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Today most of the steering wheel buttons work that way and the learning function by modern day HUs only need to be told that a specific resistance that detects when you press a particular button means perform a specific function. This is how you do the assignment to all the buttons.
That is the beauty and simplicity of the steering controls which will enable them to work with any modern HU. Different buttons generate different resistance when pressed and the HU can identify the action based on the resistance value of the pressed button.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 18:48   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun560061 View Post
Hi, we have done this on a refreshed Storme.
Note : We have used it on a Android HU.
Wait a second...
Are you THE Varun who installed an android head unit and TPMS in your storme????

Sir, do you know how hard I looked for you!! you have no idea!

Thank you so much for the info.
I hope my pre facelift safari has the same pin outs.

Ever since I saw the post by Condor sir on the official review thread, I have a picture of your car's interior on my desktop saved. Waiting for an opportunity to show my dad and telling him this is all that the safari now needs.

Please share all the mods you've made on your car.

Also, I noticed an aux cable coming from somewhere to the back of my head unit. What could that be?? I assumed that it was for the steering wheel controls. And the pins you're talking about are from the OEM coupler right??

Quote:
ManyMy safari storme VX is a 4x2 and has a blank over the place where the 4x4 has a 4H/4L/2L shift on fly knob.There is a picture on the safari storme official review thread.
A safari storme owner fitted a 2DIN system in the car but what caught my eye is the sticker on the blank. And how it can be used for a TPMS readout.
This was referring to you!!

Last edited by viXit : 14th October 2020 at 19:06.
viXit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 02:12   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Wait a second...
Are you THE Varun who installed an android head unit and TPMS in your storme????

Sir, do you know how hard I looked for you!! you have no idea!

Also, I noticed an aux cable coming from somewhere to the back of my head unit.. And the pins you're talking about are from the OEM coupler right??
Hi,

Wow, never knew someone was searching for me !!

Its not an aux cable, its a mono jack (3.5mm) which is connected to the roof mounted mic.
Yes OEM coupler, I shall try to post a pic..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks