Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
Hi Prithvi,

Here you go.

Old one:
New one (note the centre button, which is the difference):
--Kalyan
Thank you, Sir,

Does this mean that your AllSpace has everything you need to use adaptive cruise control? except for this new button?
Old 2nd March 2021, 15:12   #17
BHPian

Re: DIY: Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) retrofit on our VW Tiguan

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Thank you, Sir,

Does this mean that your AllSpace has everything you need to use adaptive cruise control? except for this new button?
Please lose the Sir

Yes, the Allspace has:

1. The ceramic front logo with the radar - Apparently there are two kinds of radar OEMs that VW uses (I think Bosch and Conti), so we are not sure which one my car has. For ACC, either of them will work, but for pACC (Predictive ACC) only one kind will work.

2. Autonomous Emergency Braking and Front Assist/ Pedestrian assist are already available in the Allspace but I've noticed AEB misfires a lot in the city traffic and hence I keep it off within the city limits.

3. The steering control that I posted above, is not part of the car but I have ordered the replacement. So, this hardware change + FEC enablement coding should ideally make ACC work in the Allspace. Definitely much simpler than the steps Sujoy had to take.

And while coding, we may be able to find out about the other hidden/ dis-abled features that may be possible with the existing equipment. But, yes, the warranty and Legal aspects Sujoy mentioned are worth some consideration.

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 15:23   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post

3. The steering control that I posted above, is not part of the car but I have ordered the replacement. So, this hardware change + FEC enablement coding should ideally make ACC work in the Allspace. Definitely much simpler than the steps Sujoy had to take.
Where did you order this control from? And if you don't mind, how much does it cost?
allspace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 15:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allspace View Post
Where did you order this control from? And if you don't mind, how much does it cost?
Hi

From a vendor that Sujoy regularly orders stuff from. He is on WhatsApp. Insta and FB, payment happens on PayPal and shipping from China -> KL -> India usually.

https://www.instagram.com/chengxiang7618/

This particular hardware cost me US $ 63 incl shipping.

--Kalyan

(Disclaimer: I am not associated with this vendor in any way. Please order stuff at your own risk.)

Last edited by kalyan_hyd : 2nd March 2021 at 15:34. Reason: Added a disclaimer
kalyan_hyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 15:58   #20
BHPian

This is electronically too involved and advanced as a DIY!
Dragonheart22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 17:04   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Have been following many of your threads on the forum and once again, brilliant thread Kudos on the well kept Jetta Mk5 (Own a Mk6 myself) and the new Polo TSI as well.

I happened to test drive the Tiguan Allspace in January and was very intrigued by the lane keep assist itself. The car was doing a great job of identifying most of the (legible) lane markings and keeping itself within them. In fact, my dad found it quite intriguing himself

What I found weird about the Allspace I test drove is that the SA mentioned the car had adaptive cruise control and will automatically brake in case of an obstacle in front. Vehicles in front were also showing up on the MID. I don't understand how this is possible considering both front assist and adaptive cruise should be disabled on the Indian spec cars. It's obvious I didn't get to test anything but the lane keep assist, so there's no way of knowing if the dealer activated these themselves or the SA was misinformed.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 2nd March 2021 at 17:14. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 20:12   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
We recently took delivery of a Tiguan Allspace around 2 months ago, could you please detail what would be necessary for the retrofit on an Allspace. I'm sure it would be of great help as many of us BHPians have recently acquired Tiguan Allspaces and I'm sure most of us are itching to get our cars driving themselves (kind of). Looking forward to your response
On the Tiguan AllSpace, since the vehicle already has the radar, all you would need is a Cruise Control compatible button set or a new steering wheel. After you install the new set of buttons, you need a competent individual to execute Online Coding on your car and install licenses for Adaptive Cruise onto your Radar Unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This is indeed a wonderful (and much useful) add-on to your Tiguan, fluidicjoy! While, you have very well explained the typical functioning, use-cases and limitations you have surely put quite a lot of efforts to do your homework - Gathering minor building blocks and sourcing the parts, including the Radar and the harness.

Would it be possible for you to put a schematic of the wiring diagram to explain how various elements of the adaptive cruise control fit together to deliver the intended function? Secondly, where did you source the parts from? Any details around the expenses would be immensely helpful.

If anyone wants to do this as DIY or for that matter get it done from a 3rd party garage, where should one start from? If you could share more details, there are quite a few around my own circle of friends(and one from Pune as well) who would be interested to get this done.

Would you recommend any Service center in Pune who can help him or if N2AutoTech (Nikhil) should be contacted?
Thank you for the kind words sir. I am a huge fan of your mile muncher and regularly follow your DIYs. They have been a great inspiration. Presently, I do not have a soft copy of the wiring diagrams with me and I'll share them as soon as I can. But to the best of my memory, the Adaptive Cruise Module is a CAN controlled module which also takes input from the Lane Assist Camera and the two work in tandem. It was a 7 pin connector using only 4 pins on the Diesel Tiguan :- Power, Ground, CAN-Bus.

I sourced the parts from a mixed bag of sources with the Radar control unit sourced from Germany, from a 3000km driven car, Radar wiring harness from England, Ceramic Logo from a friend who was working with Volkswagen and the Steering Buttons were from an Aliexpress Seller, who now is reluctant to do any business with India, since he has lost quite a few parcels to our Indian customs. The total part cost landed up to around Rs. 30000 (surprisingly duty free a couple of months back), and this can be considerably lower if you get cheaper modules and harnesses from China, but I personally am skeptical about Chinese electronics in what is a fantastic German car.

For installations, I'd only recommend someone who knows his stuff around the MQB platform, for both hardware and coding. If you need something in and around Pune, I am happy to provide technical support from my end. I perform most of my retrofits at The Mechanix Automotive, Baner. I would highly recommend N2Autotech for his ethical and technical approach to working on cars. If you need any help, please feel free to get in touch, I will help to the best of my abilities.

Last edited by fluidicjoy : 2nd March 2021 at 20:18.
fluidicjoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 20:23   #23
BHPian

Finally, someone has done it!!
This has been my most coveted upgrade for my Passat. If you decide to sell your car in a year or two please please please contact me.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 20:51   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Really a great DIY and insightful post. I have one question (not sure if it has been already mentioned).
Normally, the distance to be maintained between vehicles depends on the speed (2 seconds rule). For example, you maintain 10 feet distance in a crawling traffic but on a highway it would be probably 100 ft. How is this taken care? Is the speed sensitivity already built in?
To be honest, I think I might have misunderstood your question, but I'll try and answer anyway

So Adaptive Cruise in crawling traffic by default doesn't let me inch bumper to bumper to the vehicle ahead, but it still remains ON and Ready. If I manually wish to close the gaps, then I need to use the accelerator pedal, but even while accelerating in that traffic condition, the car will still break on its own even though this distance from the front car is a lot lesser than the minimum requisite distance from a vehicle in front. You're right, one or the other factor is given priority even on the highway. In my experience with this, the car will never attain a speed which the selected distance cannot safely stop from. So I believe the module tries to balance the best of both worlds, Speed and Distance, but priority seems to be on the Distance it is supposed to maintain. Hope this answers your question. I'll keep updating my experiences as I drive this more. There is a Mumbai trip lined up on the weekend, and this could be a great 280kms to assess the performance even more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Have been following many of your threads on the forum and once again, brilliant thread Kudos on the well kept Jetta Mk5 (Own a Mk6 myself) and the new Polo TSI as well. What I found weird about the Allspace I test drove is that the SA mentioned the car had adaptive cruise control and will automatically brake in case of an obstacle in front. Vehicles in front were also showing up on the MID. I don't understand how this is possible considering both front assist and adaptive cruise should be disabled on the Indian spec cars. It's obvious I didn't get to test anything but the lane keep assist, so there's no way of knowing if the dealer activated these themselves or the SA was misinformed.
Thanks for the kind words. I believe the SA might be misinformed. Most Tiguan AllSpaces and T-Rocs have Front Assist enabled, but Adaptive Cruise was never provided from the factory. Maybe the advisor was trying to praise Front Assist and might have added an extra feature to impress. The dealer most likely wouldn't be able to activate these on their own, and I tried really hard to push my dealers and even put in a Technical Query, which still has not been answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Finally, someone has done it!!
This has been my most coveted upgrade for my Passat. If you decide to sell your car in a year or two please please please contact me.
Let's do it on your Passat right away. That way you wouldn't have to wait, and I won't have to sell this beast either. Happy to help. The process should be quite similar, except with a different style or mounting for the radars.

Last edited by fluidicjoy : 2nd March 2021 at 20:55.
fluidicjoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 20:51   #25
BHPian

Man, this is some next level work and it puts my enthusiasm for such technology to shame! I can't agree enough with how driver aids and safety systems like ACC, Bling spot monitoring, AEB make driving such a pleasure while offering that sense of assured safety. I only wish such technologies finds their way as much as possible to main stream cars. But on the flip side they would also further inflate the prices of some of the already over priced vehicles out there.
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 21:11   #26
BHPian

Wow! What a DIY! Great work and it is very satisfying to learn that it is not only usable, but also makes a huge difference on unpredictable Indian roads. Kudos!

This makes me wonder, manufacturers could woo customers by introducing more and more ADAS features via OTA updates and even give the option of upgrading their hardware (like getting a radar) when newer versions become available. Considering how the AllSpace has quite a lot of the hardware already in place, VAG could use this as a one-of-a-kind marketing tool that boasts about your car getting better over time (atleast until Tesla makes it commonplace here).
francisvellara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 22:04   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
On the Tiguan AllSpace, since the vehicle already has the radar, all you would need is a Cruise Control compatible button set or a new steering wheel. After you install the new set of buttons, you need a competent individual to execute Online Coding on your car and install licenses for Adaptive Cruise onto your Radar Unit.
Thank you for the prompt reply!

Would I have to get a cruise control compatible button set on the steering wheel or would it be enough if I just re-programmed the existing CNL button along with the necessary online coding and licenses? I believe that would be much easier and more cost effective to implement and also prompt more people to do the install.

Once again, thank you for the detailed thread and your helpfulness. Looking forward to your response!
Old 2nd March 2021, 22:58   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
Let's do it on your Passat right away. That way you wouldn't have to wait, and I won't have to sell this beast either. Happy to help. The process should be quite similar, except with a different style or mounting for the radars.
Thanks for the kind offer! Unfortunately my Passat is about to fall victim to the 10 year Delhi diesel ban in a few months. Even a couple of years ago I would be planning a drive down to Pune with your offer but now I am afraid I will have to sell it soon.
Old 2nd March 2021, 23:36   #29
BANNED

Even factory fitted devices are failing, how reliable this after market devices?!?! I believe there's no proper R&D or whatsoever on after market products. Cars and driving licences are privileges, we must be responsible. "I STRONGLY OPPOSE THIS" please don't play with lives.
Old 3rd March 2021, 08:24   #30
BHPian

Great writeup and video Sujoy! Lets hope this inspires others to do it as well. This works for all MQB platforms am I right?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks