Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2021, 15:51   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Suzuki XL6

Detailed post on Auto Dimming IRVM: This is one of the features I badly missed on the XL6, specially when other cheaper Marutis got it. Had vented my frustration here: Weird Feature distribution in MSIL cars (Weird feature distribution in the current Maruti-Suzuki car range)

Attempt 1: Aliexpress was a good option since BHPian A4anurag had done it years ago in his Swift with similar IRVM mount. However with current geopolitics scene, that option was not there anymore. Another very minor drawback was that wire would be slightly visible before going into the headliner.

Attempt 2: This was a disaster, I tried to get RD's mirror which looked like auto dimming, but in reality it was a crappy product which was good for nothing. Well documented here: RD's horrible experience The company is still deciding on whether to refund my money or not, speaks volumes of their intention!

Attempt 3: After RD's debacle and laying low for sometime, I was even more determined to anyhow get this feature. I was aware that Celerio had a kit in MGA. However the picture in MGA brochure was misleading, and the mount in actual kit was way different than shown.

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Suzuki XL6-capture.jpg

Boodmo Link to the product: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-auto...erio-50726307/

Nevertheless, I had purchased this kit way back in 2018 to install in my M800(which didn't happen). So I had the kit and decided to check feasibility in XL6. The kit came with windshield mount, glue, thinner, couple of clips to cover existing IRVM holes, a wiring harness for Celerio etc.

However one big drawback was that coupler location and type of Celerio mirror was way different than usual Maruti's IRVM found in Baleno Ciaz etc which have hidden wiring. In Celerio a bit of wiring will be visible, which I didn't want for the XL6.

Compare the middle point of Both IRVMs. Upper one is Baleno's OEM mirror while bottom one is that of Celerio's kit:

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Suzuki XL6-20210519_201744.jpg

We had recently procured an S Cross and I compared the mount given in S Cross to that of Celerio's Kit. It was absolutely identical!

So I had the mount and glue, now it was time to procure the Mirror, caps and harness.

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Suzuki XL6-20210519_195132.jpg

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Suzuki XL6-20210609_135851.jpg

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Suzuki XL6-20210519_195138.jpg

Parts ordered:

1. Baleno/Ciaz/S Cross' Auto Dimming IRVM:

Part Number: 84703M54P00
Price: Rs. 3700
Boodmo Link: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-mirr..._view-6788737/

2. Lower cover for IRVM:

Part Number: 84781M61M00
Price: Rs. 100
Boodmo Link: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-cove...y_lwr-6788678/

3. Upper Cover for IRVM:

Part Number: 84781M68P00
Price: Rs. 24
Boodmo Link: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-cove...y_upr-6788738/

4. Wiring Harness Baleno:

Part Number: 36820M68P30
Price: Rs. 239
Boodmo Link: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-wire_roof-6800431/

I also procured a black 3M vinyl strip(the one they use for wraps)

Step 1: I stripped Baleno's wiring harness and extracted only the bit which I needed and made a custom harness for myself. Basically the wiring will have a coupler with 3 wires, Red Green and Black. Green goes to 12V line(via fuse tap), black is ground and Red goes to reverse signal. This ensures Auto Dimming mirror turns off when reverse gear is engaged.

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Suzuki XL6-20210519_182116.jpg

This black coupler is the one which interests us:

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Suzuki XL6-20210519_183741.jpg

Stripping in progress:

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Suzuki XL6-20210519_190841.jpg

Line diagram of how Auto dimming works:

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Suzuki XL6-capture1.jpg

Step 2: Testing outside the car: hooked up the green and black wires to battery and tested the unit:

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Suzuki XL6-20210519_194250.jpg

Step 3: Pasting the mount on windscreen: First we need to clean the surface with cleaner/primer provided in Celerio's kit. Then after double checking location, I pasted the mount with glue provided. Ensure there is no air bubble in between, the glue spread should be uniform.

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Suzuki XL6-20210626_164859.jpg

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Suzuki XL6-20210626_173201.jpg

Step 4: I gave the glue 2 days to settle down properly. It had become rock solid. I tried mounting the ORVM and it successfully took its weight. Drove around for a day to see if road undulations dislodge the mount. Nothing happened.

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Suzuki XL6-20210628_190634.jpg

Step 5: This is the easiest step, apply the black vinyl strip on windshield(hides passing wires), connect the wire as explained earlier, put the two covers back and you are done! Also, remove the old manual IRVM. You will be left with two screw holes, put roof liner clip in them. I also relocated the dashcam a bit towards the top part of the windshield. I'll relocate the Fastag behind the IRVM and dashcam will then get properly hidden behind the IRVM on the left side.

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Suzuki XL6-20210629_173243.jpg

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Suzuki XL6-20210629_180301.jpg

The bigger Toyota feeling jealous with this latest addition

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Suzuki XL6-20210630_073459.jpg

Meanwhile Maruti's "Cost Optimization Department" after seeing this post:

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Suzuki XL6-765.jpg

Some small yet significant points:

1. S Cross, Brezza and Baleno owners of lower variants don't need to do so much circus. Just get harness of roof of Alpha variant of your model, mirror, the covers and you are done. Example: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...m-s-cross.html (DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross))

2. Even Toyota Fortuner and Innova owners can do this in similar way, again you don't have to paste mount on windscreen, you can use existing mount and using Maruti parts, you can install this mirror. Example: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ding-orvm.html (DIY: Toyota Fortuner Type 2 - Auto Dimming IRVM & Auto Folding ORVM)

3. Ertiga and XL6 owners, you don't need to follow exactly what I did. For example, easiest way is to get Celerio's kit. It will have all things you need to do this mod in most basic way, although it won't be the cleanest.
You can explore other ways of procuring mount, for example from your workshop. A lot of Baleno/S Cross etc get their windscreen changed and you can easily source the metal mount from their broken windscreen. For glue, you may use some other glue. Final aim is to ensure the mount doesn't fall, and there can be a lot of solutions like JB Weld Clear.

4. I didn't use vinyl below the mount as IRVM needs to be adjusted constantly and since the setup is heavy, I didn't want the strength of the mount to be dependent on a thin piece of vinyl. Hence skipped it.

Again, a video of the Auto dimming working :

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Aditya : 1st July 2021 at 18:34.
Leoshashi is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 16:02   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My XL6 Gets Auto Dimming IRVM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Detailed post on Auto Dimming IRVM:
This is a very important safety feature that should be present in all cars. Once you drive a car with auto dimming IRVM, you'll feel the difference it makes in night driving. After I drove my brother's S-Cross, I retrofitted auto dimming IRVM in my Brezza. A very important upgrade.
BoneCollector is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 16:07   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Very good and useful upgrade. And more importantly, executed perfectly. These small additions make driving a pleasure and also add that little touch of personalisation to our otherwise so called mass market cars.
I can see slowly this XL6 evolving to the personalisation level your GG has reached over the years of your ownership.
Drive safe.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 08:30   #4
BHPian

Great DIY! I am sure maruti would scratch its head after seeing this. Though not simple as the engine guard fitment, all XL owners must get this done as it would ease night driving.

This makes me think once again of ridiculous ways of Maruti's feature distribution. Why anyone is forced to do this in car in which he has paid a premium to get the top model and overall cost is way upward of the a car in which it comes factory fitted?
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 09:15   #5
Team-BHP Support

A very useful add-on especially for those who do a lot of night drives. Cuts down the high beam glare from the vehicles tailing the car. Good job Shashi!

I hope this becomes a standard fitment sooner or later just like the manual day-night mirror. I recall our ‘99 Zen LXi did not have this manual mirror either.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 14:37   #6
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Maruti XL6

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Maruti XL6 - Post and replies copied to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 17:32   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Maruti XL6

Perfect add-on. Nice end result & very informative thread as usual. Enjoy stress free night drives now!

The Auto-Dim IRVM not being available on cars even getting a sun-roof (just like the missing rear wiper) - is a huge disappointment I always have with our market. Goes to show what people and car-makers prioritize.

Thanks to Chinese misadventure - AliExpress route is closed like you mentioned & then there is a complete non availability of the product! Good that you were able to source it via the part-bin at least. Benefits of some very optimized part-sharing by MSIL (I find it quite beneficial with my Alto also). Other brand owners don't have this luxury sadly OR have to pay prohibitively high prices - for what is essentially the same Chinese sourced item with different mount brackets.

I was quite lucky - I had ordered one from AliExpress - and it was delivered in March'20 - JUST before the lockdowns were enforced and just before the Chinese transgression in Ladakh.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 20:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Suzuki XL6

Congratulations dear LeoShashi for adding such a useful feature to your ride. Please get a new XL6 badge, take only X and stick it as a prefix to your car’s XL6 badge. Because now yours is almost there to be called XXL6.

I am a fence sitter on this one. Because I am wary of removing the trims and roof liner out of fear of rattles. Maybe an year or so in thw future when some rattles are already there, then I will go for it.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 09:22   #9

Hello, Indeed a clean installation of the Auto-Dimming IRVM. Always thought it to be very difficult to install this IRVM in cars other than Brezza, scross or the baleno but the MSIL's "part sharing" concept works here too!!

I had a few queries regarding your post
1) What's the fuse rating you used to safeguard the IRVM
2) Where is it easy to tap the reverse signal? There are too many wires. Just dont want to be meddling with the wrong one.
3)I own a Brezza ZDI variant. The itch to upgrade started when i saw the post on S-Cross Auto-Dimming IRVM DIY. But then, ZDI+ variant did not get the smart addition. Waited till the launch of petrol brezza which now gets it. Will the roof harness of ZXI+ be compatible with ZDI??

I thought of giving it a try as the harness hardly costs Rs300. The part isn't available on boodmo, so went to a local Maruti authorized spare shop and gave an order. It's been 20 days and no sign of it yet.
Old 5th August 2021, 12:44   #10
BHPian

Can fellow members advise if it's possible to upgrade the IRVM assembly in a Honda City in this manner? My current IRVM has some sort of stain on it along it's entire border.

Since I need to replace it anyways (with Manual IRVM), I was just thinking that it would be great if I could upgrade it to be an auto dimming one.

As far as I know, the 3rd gen never came with an auto dimming IRVM even it's top model. So I can't expect to go the OEM route from Honda.

There seems to be a auto dimming IRVM for the 4th gen on boodmo (MIRROR ASSY., RR. VIEW (AUTO DAY/NIGHT)). However, it costs only Rs. 422 which seems wrong (most auto IRVM that I have seen costs upwards of 3k at least). I suspect that there is something wrong with the listing.

Can I use the same Celerio kit to upgrade the roof mounted IRVM in the 3rd gen City? Has someone tried this out before?
Old 5th August 2021, 16:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post

There seems to be a auto dimming IRVM for the 4th gen on boodmo (MIRROR ASSY., RR. VIEW (AUTO DAY/NIGHT)). However, it costs only Rs. 422 which seems wrong (most auto IRVM that I have seen costs upwards of 3k at least). I suspect that there is something wrong with the listing.

Can I use the same Celerio kit to upgrade the roof mounted IRVM in the 3rd gen City? Has someone tried this out before?
I have successfully installed Honda auto dimming IRVM on my 4th gen City VX model. You just need to tap black and red wires from the connector and connect them to -ve and +ve of power supply respectively. Rest wires I presume are for rear parking sensors display and need not be connected.
I used one of the empty fuse slots with a fuse tap to power this IRVM.

The only downside I feel is that manual IRVM mount position is too high for getting a comfortable viewing position with auto dimming IRVM. If you can move position of the mount as that of City ZX model, it will be perfect.

Even though I am still perplexed as to how Honda can sell auto dimming IRVM for mere 422 INR. But, I am not complaining.

Not sure about Celerio kit as the mount might be different. I will leave that to our MS Expert Shashi
vaasu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 16:25   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
The only downside I feel is that manual IRVM mount position is too high for getting a comfortable viewing position with auto dimming IRVM. If you can move position of the mount as that of City ZX model, it will be perfect.

Even though I am still perplexed as to how Honda can sell auto dimming IRVM for mere 422 INR. But, I am not complaining.

Not sure about Celerio kit as the mount might be different. I will leave that to our MS Expert Shashi
Thank you for your response.

Can you let me know where you purchased your IRVM from and if it's similar to the one in the boodmo link from my post.

As far as I remember the 4th gen city had it's IRVM mounted on the windshield right? With a roof mounted setup of the IRVM in my 3rd gen, viewing angle might be a deal breaker for me.

Did you mean that the frameless IRVM of the 2017 facelift is somehow adjustable. I didn't know that...if so I can try and source that one.
Old 5th August 2021, 16:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:

Can you let me know where you purchased your IRVM from and if it's similar to the one in the boodmo link from my post.
Yes, I purchased it from boodmo.

Quote:

As far as I remember the 4th gen city had it's IRVM mounted on the windshield right? With a roof mounted setup of the IRVM in my 3rd gen, viewing angle might be a deal breaker for me.
Yes, it is mounted on the windshield.
Roof mounted IRVM of 3rd Gen might have a different mount.

Quote:

Did you mean that the frameless IRVM of the 2017 facelift is somehow adjustable. I didn't know that...if so I can try and source that one.
To clarify, frame less IRVM of the 2017 facelift is indeed manually adjustable. But, the mounting position of IRVM in V variant (which has normal IRVM) vs ZX variant (which has auto dimming IRVM) is different.
vaasu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 12:55   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it's correct, Honda's IRVM is priced shockingly low.

You may use Celerio's kit but the downside being wire will be visible and won't look so clean. But I believe even Honda's OEM implementation couldn't hide the wire completely like other manufacturers do, so your installation won't be called entirely wrong.

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Suzuki XL6-screenshot_20210807125356_youtube.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 13:12   #15
BHPian

Hi Shashi,

Will the 4 parts mentioned in your first post on this thread be a direct fit for my Baleno delta?

Plan on doing DIY soon.

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks