Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2019, 10:54   #1
BHPian

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)

The Background:

S-Cross Alpha comes with Auto-Dimming IRVM whereas all other variants have that normal flip switch to change to Day/Night Mode. Not that I had any problem with flipping the switch for the IRVM in my S-cross Zeta, but I had a strong itch to do some DIY in my car. Hence the Auto-Dimming IRVM project began.

I like any modification to be as inconspicuous as possible and definitely should not cause any warranty or safety issues. So I used all Maruti genuine parts from alpha variant for this project.

I started researching for the parts and finally made this list of parts required for the DIY.

The parts:

1. 84703M54P00: Inside Rear View Mirror: Rs 3615. This part is common for Baleno, Ciaz, and S-cross.
DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)-img_20190227_150936.jpg

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)-irvm-front.jpg
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-mirr..._view-6788737/

2. 84781M61M00: Lower Cover for IRVM wire. Rs 100. This part is also common for Baleno, Ciaz, and S-Cross.
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-cove...y_lwr-6788678/

3. 84782M61M00: Upper Cover for the IRVM wiring. Rs 120. This part is specific for S-Cross.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-cove...y_upr-6788812/
DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)-wire-covers-both.jpg

4. 36820M65M20: Wiring Harness-Dome Lamp for S-cross Alpha. Rs 876. This was not available on Boodmo so was procured through a local Distributor. (The sticker has an MRP of Rs 950 but it showed a price of Rs 876 in their system.)
DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)-wiring-alpha-part-no..jpg
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-wire_dome_lamp-6799791/

Total Cost of Parts: Rs 4711.

The DIY.

The Process mainly involves 2 parts- Changing the dome lamp wiring and changing the IRVM. Changing the wiring is 90% of the work. Rest is just a 5 min job.

The Alpha Wiring Harness.
DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)-wiring.jpg

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)-wiring-route.jpg

We need to remove the A-Pillar Trim on left side, The glove Box, the sunvisors on both sides, the sunvisor holders, the roof lamp/sunglass holder console, the left front hand grab and the rear roof lamp.

Remove the Glove Box by holding both sides and pressing them together while pulling it out. Remove the Glove Box Damper.
DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)-glove-box-damper.jpg

Access the wiring harness under the dash. You can Identify it by the label with Part number 36820M65M30. It has 3 wires attached in it. The Alpha Part Number 36820M65M20 has 5 wires attached. Remove the connector and the clip attached to it.

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)-wiring-under-dash.jpg

Remove the A-Pillar Trim.

Remove the Sunvisors by opening one screw for each side.
DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)-sunvisor-screw.jpg

Remove the Sunvisor Holders by rotating it anticlockwise and then pulling it out.

Open a screw inside the Sunglass Holder to remove the Roof Lamp assembly.

To remove the Hand Grab, pull out the two plastic clips on each end and it should come out easily.
DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)-hand-grab-removal.jpg

Remove the Rear Lamp by prying it out with a flat screwdriver or something.

Now you should be able to lower the roof lining and access the wiring.
DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)-roof-lining.jpg

Remove the old wiring.
The only problem I face was to remove the old wiring clips in places where there was no access to the back side of the clips. I ended up breaking the clips in some places, but that didn't matter as new wiring has new clips.
Where I could access the clips on backside they could be easily removed by just pinching the two ends together.

Maybe someone can suggest a better way to remove the clips easily.

Putting in new clips is easy, you just need to push the clips into place and the work is done.

Just fit everything back in reverse order.

Connect the Connector under the dash and check for the working of all lamps. Mic, etc.

Now we have this.
DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)-wiring-done.-.jpg

THE IRVM

Both IRVM Side by side. The auto IRVM is slightly larger in size as compared to the manual one.
DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)-irvm-old-new.jpg

The Holder for Auto IRVM look different but it fits perfectly on the existing Button.
DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)-irvm-holders-new-old.jpg

Remove the Old IRVM by pushing it up. It is held on by a clip, I was unable to move it with the hand so I used a wooden hammer to push it up. Two light strokes and it was out.
DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)-irvm-removal-wooden-hammer.jpg

Simply Slide the New IRVM onto the button and tighten the screw with a torx driver.
DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)-irvm-screw-tightened.jpg

Attach the connector and clip on the wire covers.
DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)-irvm-lower-cover-attached.jpg

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)-final.jpg

Now you can pat your Back for successfully completing the DIY.
DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)-final-fit-auto-irvm.jpg

The Auto IRVM switches on automatically when the car is started.

Cost of Materials: Rs 4711.
The Joy of Doing-it-Yourself: Priceless

Last edited by car-dent : 1st March 2019 at 12:51.
car-dent is offline   (80) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 14:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 15:04   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)

Excellent upgrade and let me congratulate you for the excellent research you did before procuring the parts. That IMHO is the real smart work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
I like any modification to be as inconspicuous as possible and definitely should not cause any warranty or safety issues. So I used all Maruti genuine parts from alpha variant for this project.
Rating this thread a well deserved 5*.

Quote:
4. 36820M65M20: Wiring Harness-Dome Lamp for S-cross Alpha. Rs 876. This was not available on Boodmo so was procured through a local Distributor. (The sticker has an MRP of Rs 950 but it showed a price of Rs 876 in their system.)
That's because your harness shows packing date of 2016. A lot of parts had their prices revised post GST. Hence the system showed Rs. 876 as its latest price.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 00:14   #4
BHPian

Re: DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)

Can this be put on the Brezza too?
Old 3rd March 2019, 15:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Pretty cool... the Marshal didn't even have the flip-switch type, I converted it to the switchable, what you posted here had never occurred to me.

Now if along with this we could just get the auto-dipping headlights that were (amazingly) available I think as far back as the 1950's on a few premium American cars... well, night travel in India could finally be a real pleasure with no safety deficit. Just did Delhi to Chandigarh on the expressway night before last, and between the oncoming high-beam glare, lack of lane markings in most places, continually shifting lanes, and trucks across all three lanes exercising no control whatsoever, it felt seriously dangerous to be out there at all. Two nights before that did Agra-Delhi on the Yamuna Expressway, which in truth I think is a better road than most of what can be found in North America. Road surface perfectly flat and straight, and better yet, the tall hedgerows between the North/South lanes are something you rarely if ever see there, and it enables the use of high-beams that at such speeds generally would be useful - without any visibility detriment to oncoming traffic. Reflective lane markings the entire way, as well. I've been lurking around in the subcontinent nearly two decades and seen a lot of change for the better - if I live another two decades, I hope to be able to take some pleasant evening drives without a care in the world...

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 3rd March 2019 at 15:42.
ringoism is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 16:21   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Brezza gets a proper upgrade kit for Auto Dimming IRVM.

Checkout the 2nd last page of the Brezza's accessory brochure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2_Vitara_Brezza_Acc_Brochure.pdf (2.57 MB, 1270 views)
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 10:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
As Leoshashi already pointed out, the Brezza has auto irvm available as an accessory.

In case you are interested in DIY, this mirror should fit well on the brezza bracket as well. But since no variant of Brezza comes with an Auto IRVM, you will have to add extra wiring to power the mirror. Also, the wire covers may not fit perfectly.

So, although it is possible, it may not be an exact factory finish.
Old 20th October 2019, 13:16   #8
BHPian

Wonderful DIY @car-dent! Now since the wiring harness includes wiring for Rain and Auto headlamps, any plans to upgrade those too?
Old 20th October 2019, 22:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_x1 View Post
Wonderful DIY @car-dent! Now since the wiring harness includes wiring for Rain and Auto headlamps, any plans to upgrade those too?
Thanks.
No plans for auto wipers/headlamps. That would be too complicated and there would be many more parts involved. Also the sensors alone cost about 25-30k, so not going to be a cheap experiment either.

Last edited by car-dent : 20th October 2019 at 22:49. Reason: Typo
Old 28th October 2019, 07:21   #10
BHPian

Has anyone tried this on the ertiga/xl6 yet. Keen to know if this would work on those cars.
Old 28th October 2019, 07:49   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsrahul View Post
Has anyone tried this on the ertiga/xl6 yet. Keen to know if this would work on those cars.
It will not be possible to do so using MGA as the mounting system is different for both the cars. XL6 has a roof mounted IRVM whereas S-Cross & even Brezza, Baleno and Ciaz have a windshield mounted IRVM. Fairly easy to do so in S-Cross and others than XL6 using a genuine accessory. You can try aftermarket systems for it as they're available with different mounting options.

DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)-img_20191028_074422.jpg

Pic source - XL6 from official review. S-Cross from this thread.

Edit- Great link shared by Leoshashi. I feel this will fit in most of the Maruti cars.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 28th October 2019 at 08:18.
BoneCollector is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 08:15   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
It will not be possible to do so using MGA as the mounting system is different for both the cars. XL6 has a roof mounted IRVM whereas S-Cross & even Brezza, Baleno and Ciaz have a windshield mounted IRVM. .
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4648345 (Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs)

This Kit from Celerio should be a fix for such models which use roof mounted IRVMs.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 08:23   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4648345 (Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs)

This Kit from Celerio should be a fix for such models which use roof mounted IRVMs.

Regards,
Shashi

I had tried with my local Maruti Dealer. But the kit wasn't available with them. Any pointers as to from where I can get it?
Old 9th February 2020, 10:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi cardent, would you be able to tell me about the signals of the three wires in the connector that was in the cable that is connected to the irvm. I see Red, Green and Black. Hope Black is ground, what is Red and Green? I assume Green gets power 12V when the car is atleast switched to Acc mode. What is Red?
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 12:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Hi cardent, would you be able to tell me about the signals of the three wires in the connector that was in the cable that is connected to the irvm. I see Red, Green and Black. Hope Black is ground, what is Red and Green? I assume Green gets power 12V when the car is atleast switched to Acc mode. What is Red?
Sorry for late reply. Somehow missed your comment.

Black: Ground
Green: 12V positive on ignition mode.
Red: Reverse signal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks