Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2008, 21:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Accent Viva Crdi: Purge Control Solenoid Valves - Rs.16.5k! EDIT: Fixin it DIY style!

Hi all

My almost 4 year old Accent Viva CRDi has done 55000 kms and used to return an avg of 11.5 to 12.0 km pl consistently (with A/c)

In the last couple of days, the cars average dropped to 10.0 km pl and the car started throwing black smoke which was pointed out by the PUC guys. Although the smoke is not thick, its noticeable when the car is revved while stationary. The vehicle passed PUC though.

When the problem was referred to the A.S.S. they said I would have to replace the 2 Purge Control Solenoid Valves on the car due to carbon deposits. These are two valves mounted outside the engine and apparently important for the car's functioning. The cost quoted to me is Rs. 16500 + Labour.

The cars seems absolutely normal to drive.

My Questions to you gurus:

1) Can this part be repaired/cleaned?
2) Can I get it cheaper somewhere else and it is recommended to do that?
3) If I do not change the part, can it damage the engine?

Thanks
Old 25th June 2008, 21:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Adding pics of the Purge Control Solenoid Valves..

Accent Viva Crdi: Purge Control Solenoid Valves - Rs.16.5k! EDIT: Fixin it DIY style!-dsc00133.jpg

Accent Viva Crdi: Purge Control Solenoid Valves - Rs.16.5k! EDIT: Fixin it DIY style!-dsc00136.jpg

Accent Viva Crdi: Purge Control Solenoid Valves - Rs.16.5k! EDIT: Fixin it DIY style!-dsc00137.jpg
Old 27th June 2008, 20:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Update:

No replies :(

Since the PCSV's get jammed due to carbon deposits I think they must be cleanable.

The service advisor at the A.s.s. told me they are sealed units and cannot be repaired and hence must be replaced.

I think I ll try nevertheless

Will try and clean them over the weekend.. dont have much to loose ..

Last edited by AbhiJ : 27th June 2008 at 20:20.
Old 28th June 2008, 11:37   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Please do keep updating this thread, AbhiJ. It could help someone in the future.

Thanks
Old 28th June 2008, 11:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi Abhij,

try using System D 40ml per litre of diesel and drive for around 500 kms..The smoke should become better.

You could also try acetone if System D does nt suit you, but IMO system D is better!
Old 28th June 2008, 14:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

use the engine flush every 20000kms and such problems should not be faced, well i do i religiously to my car, in fact its done in hyundai A S S they sell this engine oil flush under their own brand, get it done this time and tell us the results
Old 28th June 2008, 17:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

The purge control solenoid valve controls the flow of extra vapour fuel into the engine, its like an EGR but for the fuel vapours.

I believe they are in open condition now causing the extra smoke.

Watch to understand the problem.

Unfortunately they cannot be repaired and System D/ flush will have no effect on them since its the vapours.

Last edited by dadu : 28th June 2008 at 17:28.
Old 28th June 2008, 18:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

hey dadu,

thats an excellent article. So the SPCV is only there to control FE or the vapours while the car is switched off. Now this should not affect anything but the FE in the car, right?
Old 28th June 2008, 19:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
hey dadu,

thats an excellent article. So the SPCV is only there to control FE or the vapours while the car is switched off. Now this should not affect anything but the FE in the car, right?

yes the FE and the POWER! and i am guessing the engine might choke at times, any gurus please shed some light on the same, any other ill effects caused because of these valves being faulty? please list them and ways to avoid this from happening, all the help is appreciated, thank you.

EDIT: well i think mobike car used to choke a lot at times and stop and then he had to restart the car, could this be the reason? AVI are you watching this thread?

Last edited by rider60 : 28th June 2008 at 19:49.
Old 28th June 2008, 19:47   #10
BHPian

The extra smoke can also be caused by incorrect valve clearence, which need to be set- Just incase the exhaust valve is wrong-It will foul the plugs causing black smoke and laboured drive.
Old 28th June 2008, 20:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
The extra smoke can also be caused by incorrect valve clearence, which need to be set- Just incase the exhaust valve is wrong-It will foul the plugs causing black smoke and laboured drive.

i dont mean to be mean, but then we are talking about the diesel car here, which plugs are you referring to?
Old 28th June 2008, 20:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Update: Opened the valves from the car. One of them is definitely not working. If I blow into one, the air passes through. (Just like dadu predicted) The other one, is shut.

As far as I know, all solenoid valves should be shut in unconnected state.

So, I am working on the one which is open. Maybe some elbow grease will breathe some life into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Please do keep updating this thread, AbhiJ. It could help someone in the future.

Thanks
Intend to do exactly that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
The purge control solenoid valve controls the flow of extra vapour fuel into the engine, its like an EGR but for the fuel vapours.

I believe they are in open condition now causing the extra smoke.

Watch this video to understand the problem.

Unfortunately they cannot be repaired and System D/ flush will have no effect on them since its the vapours.
Excellent article dude...helps a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
yes the FE and the POWER! and i am guessing the engine might choke at times, any gurus please shed some light on the same, any other ill effects caused because of these valves being faulty? please list them and ways to avoid this from happening, all the help is appreciated, thank you.

EDIT: well i think mobike car used to choke a lot at times and stop and then he had to restart the car, could this be the reason? AVI are you watching this thread?
Strangely, the car seems completely normal to drive. No lack of power as far as I can make out.

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th June 2008 at 03:35. Reason: No need to type in all bold text.
Old 29th June 2008, 01:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Update: Opened the valves from the car. One of them is definitely not working. If I blow into one, the air passes through. (Just like dadu predicted) The other one, is shut.

Strangely, the car seems completely normal to drive. No lack of power as far as I can make out.

well any other symptoms? apart from FE? like the choking in mobike's viva crdi?
Old 29th June 2008, 02:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
well any other symptoms? apart from FE? like the choking in mobike's viva crdi?
Dude... dont know about Mobike's Car's problem... will try to find the thread and see if I can relate to it.

Problems which were immediately noticeable are
1) Black Smoke
2) Lower FE

Power wise... i really dont feel a difference. The engine is still pulling like a train
Old 29th June 2008, 02:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Update on the Repair.

Cleaned the whole unit. The inners were filthy. Concentrated soap water did almost nothing to clean it, so cleaned the inners using kerosene and a big syringe...

I pushed about 500 ml of Kerosene through the valve and lot of small ... almost invisible carbon particles have been washed out.

The kerosene almost became opaque!!

But, the valve is still not working. Air is still passing through.

I have now sprayed the insides with a super generous dose of Zorrik... and have decided to leave it overnight.
Hopefully zorrik can work its magic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks