Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2012, 20:00   #61
BHPian

Re: DIY : Damping the swift with yoga mats and making it rattle free

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
You need proper damping sheets to rid the car of such rattles. What I did was a complete DIY to get rid of the door panel vibrations. For the places that you have mentioned you need proper damping sheets.
The other day I was at my builders construction site to check teh update on my flat and I saw a roll of synthetic material . It was similar to yoga mats , something like that thin thermocol sheets that we get electronics in .

Upon asking he told me that its used as a leveller when theres wooden flooring involved .

So they put tiles first and then the synthetic sheet and then the wooden tiles .

I was wondering if we can use those sheets . I'll have to find the correct name for those sheets .
Old 5th July 2012, 21:17   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
I was wondering if we can use those sheets
You can use those to reduce door rattles. Not for damping

You can get those in any shop that sells synthetic/vinyl carpets, and it's pretty cheap.
Old 4th February 2013, 16:43   #63
BHPian

I did damping with Yoga mats in my swift couple of weeks back. Thanks rjstyles69 for this idea !!!.

Some learning from the activity are

1) There are two types of Yoga mats. 4mm and 6mm types. Those in Future group Big Bazaar are of 6mm type and the one in Reliance store are 4mm type. If you are using 2 layers of 6mm type sheet, the front door panels will not fit in the bottom part. We can fix only one sheet there.
2) Detaching the power window wiring clip is very tricky. Do it carefully.
3) Both the materials (Yoga mat and adhesive) used for this "damping" is highly flammable.
4) "Damping done by MASS is a joke. Pics attached.
5) Be ready for the smell of fevicol for a week.

We do get a quiet cabin after this activity, but still there is that very minor "tick, tick" sound from the B pillar or seat belt assy or the portion between the door and door channel. Iam not sure from where it comes.

"Damping" by M.A.S.S

DIY : Damping the swift with yoga mats and making it rattle free-1.jpg
DIY : Damping the swift with yoga mats and making it rattle free-2.jpg

"Two types" of Yogamat

DIY : Damping the swift with yoga mats and making it rattle free-3.jpg

Rear Doorpanel

DIY : Damping the swift with yoga mats and making it rattle free-4.jpg
ontheroad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 07:35   #64
Senior - BHPian

Good job man. It's been over 3 years since I posted this thread and the swift still is rattle free and the yoga-mat used is still holding up. Talk of el-cheapo DIY and a rattle free car to drive around .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
5) Be ready for the smell of fevicol for a week.
SR99 if used and left to dry for a day outside there wouldn't be any smell. This from experience.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 09:11   #65
BHPian

^^ I agree. Small portions of SR99 left exposed in the mats, if not properly done, might also be contributing for the smell. Proper drying would surely kill the odor.

Last edited by ontheroad : 5th February 2013 at 09:13.
Old 9th February 2013, 18:34   #66
BHPian

Thank you buddy. I know what I am doing next. I wanted to do damping for long. everytime I went to a car decor shop they said no point damping a small car. I will try this simple DIY. Thanks a ton. Will update with the results once I am done.
Old 5th March 2013, 21:13   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I did damping with Yoga mats in my swift couple of weeks back. Thanks rjstyles69 for this idea !!!...

Rear Doorpanel

Attachment 1046879
Thanks a lot for this pic. I was trying to find out whether I can get a pic of the Swift boot lid damping and you have it. How long since you did this and how is this holding up? My boot lid is rattling quite a bit and want to do some damping.
Old 5th March 2013, 21:52   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Fire-proof (not easily burnt)? Or flammable (catches fire easily)? If the car catches fire, not much one can save using fire-proof materials - there are plenty of other flammable materials otherwise in there.
that's not an excuse to add more. If you had to kick a burning door out, would you prefer a fire retardant in there or a high inflammable material?
Old 6th March 2013, 14:33   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
that's not an excuse to add more. If you had to kick a burning door out, would you prefer a fire retardant in there or a high inflammable material?
Other than semantics, I am finding it difficult to understand your point of objection.

1. My original expression was "there are plenty of other flammable materials otherwise in there" - have you considered the materials of seat cushions?

How is it that *only* the door would catch fire, and nothing else? In any scenario, the inside of the door would require a lot for the fire to reach. If it does, it wouldn't at all matter whether the materials inside are fire-retardant or flammable - the car's goose would be well and truly cooked by that time. Hopefully everyone in the car would have exited by then!

2. "kick a burning door out"??? Do you realize with modern car door latches that is an impossibility? That is why all chassis electronic controls are designed to unlock the car when the engine switches off - so that emergency help can open the door from outside. Emergency services (fire forces, medics etc. - unfortunately not in India) carry large pneumatic / electric shears to *cut through* A / B / C pillar / door in case of deformation by any reason

3. The damping material is a mix of mica or some such powdered solid to give it bulk, and synthetic rubber (tar in the older ones) as the carrier. Neither synthetic rubber nor tar is flame-retardant (they are flammable if heated for some time). The included powder would give some semblance of retarding burning
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 23:09   #70
BHPian

Quote:
I did damping with Yoga mats in my swift couple of weeks back. Thanks rjstyles69 for this idea !!!.

Some learning from the activity are

1) There are two types of Yoga mats. 4mm and 6mm types. Those in Future group Big Bazaar are of 6mm type and the one in Reliance store are 4mm type. If you are using 2 layers of 6mm type sheet, the front door panels will not fit in the bottom part. We can fix only one sheet there.
Just wanted to check - So what did you finally do? 2 X 4mm = 8mm or just a single 6mm? I am planning to do this the next weekend when I get some time.

Also, how many such mats would be needed for a Swift Dzire?

Does it need to be damped on the boot as well?
Old 7th January 2014, 17:23   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipakDZireLover View Post

Just wanted to check - So what did you finally do? 2 X 4mm = 8mm or just a single 6mm? I am planning to do this the next weekend when I get some time.

Also, how many such mats would be needed for a Swift Dzire?

Does it need to be damped on the boot as well?
Hi,
Use of 4mm or 6mm depends on the location of pads. What i have done is to use 6 mm where the pad gets jammed with door panel and use 2*4mm in other places. I think 4 nos of 4mm and 1 no 6 mm would be enough for the five doors. No idea about damping of the boot of Dezire, as I have a swift.
Old 11th October 2014, 16:08   #72
BHPian

Was very impressed by the way the damping was done with a clear explanation to it. Ever since I wanted to do the same to my swift dzire and make it clutter free. I was about to upgrade the speakers to components just to get a better output, but was waiting for a good deal during diwali. I had the entire day to myself (due to a working weekend for my wife) and decided to take a chance with the approach. After all the effort and luckily no broken parts, I was amazed at the change in the sound quality and insulation to external sounds and rattle. Kudos for the review ..
Old 11th October 2014, 16:17   #73
BHPian

Purchased the stuff around 2 months back , but was lying in the corner of the store just waiting for the opportune moment. Finally the moment is here. Posting some pics.

I am really glad that I did this before upgrading the speakers.. now I am in no hurry to upgrade , specially with the improvement in the quality of sound by damping.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY : Damping the swift with yoga mats and making it rattle free-20141011_112939.jpg  

DIY : Damping the swift with yoga mats and making it rattle free-20141011_115549.jpg  

DIY : Damping the swift with yoga mats and making it rattle free-20141011_125106.jpg  

DIY : Damping the swift with yoga mats and making it rattle free-20141011_130153.jpg  

DIY : Damping the swift with yoga mats and making it rattle free-20141011_150338.jpg  

karavadi143 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 13:37   #74
BHPian

Have been wanting to do the same from a very long time just dont get enough time. The swift is one fun to drive car but the panel vibrations just spoil that feeling.
Old 11th November 2014, 14:56   #75
BHPian

I had purchased this last month and used it to damp boot of my esteem. The product is extremely good value for the price. And no risk of fire hazard etc

http://www.ebay.in/itm/281441551358?...84.m1497.l2649

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks