Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2013, 15:39   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Tesla Model S: First Impressions

Brilliant, comprehensive & insightful review. Thanks for sharing man! I've moved your latest post on all the gadgetry to the opening page so that no one misses it : Link

Heard so much about the Model S. Great to see it through a BHPian's eyes.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 16:02   #47
BHPian

Thanks for this review! So happy to see this thread. Looking forward to hearing more about the drive and handling. Since the car is a beaut, some more pictures wouldnt hurt either.
Old 20th June 2013, 16:21   #48
BHPian

Wow! What a review! Thanks for sharing! BTW, you could add more pictures showing the boot space, etc. too.

Its really amazing how Tesla has managed to integrate technologies so very well. The important thing is that most of these technologies have been around for quite a while - except for may be ones like super-charging. I wonder why bigger companies haven't ventured into building all-electric cars yet.
Old 20th June 2013, 17:27   #49
BHPian

Slightly OT, but this goes on to show how much Tesla values its customers! Voluntarily recall, even if for minor issues is a big step towards customer satisfaction and building up brand value.
Old 20th June 2013, 17:52   #50
BHPian

That's an awesome & crisp review man. A massive 430Nm of torque right from 0 rpm?? That's a hell lot of fun to drive. One should only experience it.

By the way, I'm curious to know about the service intervals of this car, service costs and what do they do while servicing as there is nothing like an engine oil or air & oil filters in this car.
Old 20th June 2013, 19:50   #51
Senior - BHPian

I forgot to mention about the Tesla app for Android and iOS.The Tesla Motors app puts Model S owners in direct communication with their cars anytime, anywhere. With this initial release, owners can:

- Check charging progress in real time and start or stop charge
- Heat or cool Model S before driving — even if it's in a garage
- Locate Model S with directions or track its movement across a map
- Flash lights or honk the horn to find Model S when parked
- Vent or close the panoramic roof
- Lock or unlock from afar

Tesla Model S: First Impressions-mzl.azrozkms.320x48075.jpg

Tesla Model S: First Impressions-mzl.fdxrdvsd.320x48075.jpg

Tesla Model S: First Impressions-mzl.fvzbnwhf.320x48075.jpg

Tesla Model S: First Impressions-mzl.gpwlhrmb.320x48075.jpg

Tesla Model S: First Impressions-mzl.nlmmqbil.320x48075.jpg

(App store)
theragingbull is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 20:24   #52
BHPian

Thank you so much for helping us 'see' and 'experience' the Tesla through you! On a different note, we are now lot more aware of what we are missing out on experiencing .

It's a great car-gorgeously beautiful while being eco friendly. Here are my thoughts on the car in my own style:

It's 'luxuriously green'

and

You can bask in 'green glory' while your neighbours go green (with envy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalaap View Post
I was generally excited while reading this review, but I totally flipped over when I came to the regen braking part.
I believe other electric/hybrid cars such as the Prius also have that capability.
Old 20th June 2013, 21:13   #53
BHPian

B-R-I-L-L-I-A-N-T. Both the car and the review. This may be the first time that I have actually read every bit of review on an electric car and why not! This car is awesome.
Old 20th June 2013, 21:25   #54
BHPian

Wonderful review, thanks for sharing. Any information on battery lifetime and what the proposed costs of replacement will be? Or is Tesla offering the batteries on a leased model?
Old 20th June 2013, 23:28   #55
BHPian

Big congrats on the ride!!! She surely looks seductive... Especially that dash... Never seen anything like it... woah, too sexy!!! Wish you tons of Happy Miles with her... Cheers!!!
Old 21st June 2013, 00:40   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
Any information on battery lifetime and what the proposed costs of replacement will be? Or is Tesla offering the batteries on a leased model?
The warranty on the battery is 8 years or 1,25,000 miles whichever is less as per their official website. No idea about the battery replacement cost though.

Leased model? I don't think so. Because they are implementing the battery swapping based model where they replace your drained battery with a new one for free of cost at their supercharging stations across U.S.
madhav14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 09:36   #57
BHPian

Great review. thanks for sharing. I've seen the car in person before it was launched. She is a beauty.. Glad to hear performance meets expectations. And they got the price right too.
Old 21st June 2013, 11:36   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Handling is another area where this car really shines. The steering, though electric, is perfectly weighted and gives a good amount of feedback. The car points exactly where you want. Flawless handling on the mountain roads. This can easily rival the 5 series when it comes to handling.
One of the huge advantages in the handling department is that due to the skateboard chassis, all the batteries (i.e. a majority of the weight of the car) is below the axles. This gives it an incredibly low center of gravity, greatly improving handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalaap View Post
I totally flipped over when I came to the regen braking part. Generating energy on the way down? That's the greatest thing I've ever come across. I want this car just for that!
Buy a Mahindra e2o, it has the exact same regenerative braking

Some other fueled cars also tout the same "regenerative braking" feature (eg. 5-series), but what they actually do is re-engage the alternator during braking. Not nearly anything like regenerative braking of the electrics.

@ragingbull : does the Tesla have 3 settings for the agressiveness of the regenerative braking? I believe the Karma does. On the most agressive setting, if you drive accordingly, you almost never need to use the brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
PS: TBHPian living abroad if you get hands on two more of these new gen vehicle please post. -Fishkar Karma and Chevy Volt.
Watch this. It will open your eyes to the Karma. (In short : Awesome looking, decently designed, poor performer).

cya
R

PS - @ragingbull, interesting that you were the one who also posted the first Tesla S thread back in 2009

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st June 2013 at 11:46.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 14:57   #59
Senior - BHPian

What amazed me about the car is the range it can drive on a full charge! (370kms is quite a large distance). Very nice review, and an equally good looking car. The regenerative braking feature is not new I think, it has been used in railway engines too; but it's a good idea. Also liked the looks of the car, it looks like a proper conventional car.
Old 21st June 2013, 19:11   #60
e2p
BHPian

This is an amazing car. The 17 inch screen is a beauty. Altogether its a nice package. This one has broken all the previous notions about an electic car. A spectacular review as well.

Is it possible to access the internet while the car is on move? watching movies, playing games etc. for the non driver.?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks