Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2022, 14:47   #226
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Kona : Official Review

With impeding launch of ioniq 5 around festive season Quint & gaadiwaadi.com are reporting about launch of Kona electric facelift by 2022 end in india.

Link :

https://www.thequint.com/amp/story/t...es-listed-here
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Kona : Official Review-97610d7189d5472f9263dc387bc4bed0.jpeg  

Hyundai Kona : Official Review-3c2963f5cfff46c387af08bca35a549f.jpeg  

Last edited by XRoader_001 : 22nd August 2022 at 14:49.
XRoader_001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 22:30   #227
BHPian

I've been reading such articles about the impending launch of Hyundai Kona for more than an year now. To me now these articles seem like, "the boy who cried wolf." Definitely they must be taken with oodles of salt

Nevertheless, I'm watching out for both(Ioniq/Kona) or any EV launches from Hyundai. Neither the dealers nor the Hyundai Customer Care has any idea about this though. In fact, the latter is clueless about even the facelift version of Kona EV. He was only talking about Tucson last week. Let's see what would be Hyundai's game plan for India specific launch during festive season.
destinykid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 14:49   #228
BHPian

Looking to buy an EV in the near future. Test drove the EV Max version of the Nexon, the car doesn't meet my requirements. Is the Kona going to be updated anytime soon? All I see are articles without any official date. Looks like the MG is the only viable option in the market right now. :/
revsperminute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 10:40   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
Looking to buy an EV in the near future. Test drove the EV Max version of the Nexon, the car doesn't meet my requirements. Is the Kona going to be updated anytime soon? All I see are articles without any official date. Looks like the MG is the only viable option in the market right now. :/
Kona is updated across the world. Unfortunately, in India they are selling the old version as 2022 model. Guess they brought too many cars in CKD and still are trying to get rid of them by changing paint colours and all. By the way, why do you think Nexon EV Max didn't meet your requirements?
Old 17th September 2022, 12:37   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinykid View Post
. By the way, why do you think Nexon EV Max didn't meet your requirements?
Doesn’t feel premium. Besides that, me and my dad are both >6 feet. So the small interior cabin space will not work for us.

I am okay with spending some extra money for a car that we will be spending the most time in.
Old 24th October 2022, 19:04   #231
BHPian

I am also eagerly awaiting for new Kona electric or Niro ev. I am skeptical about Chinese manufactures, so dropped both BYD and MG.
Tata Nexon EV Max seems like overpriced for the segment and rear seat space is not up to mark.
Old 28th October 2022, 08:54   #232
BHPian

I did a test drive of Kona electric yesterday. I am very much impressed, seems like a much better package than Tata Nexon EV Max. They are offering additional 1 lakh rupee discount this month.
Still I am confused, should I wait for facelift, as sales adviser was saying Kona might get phaseout for new evs and he has no updates on facelift?
anilntny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 10:12   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilntny View Post
I did a test drive of Kona electric yesterday. I am very much impressed, seems like a much better package than Tata Nexon EV Max. They are offering additional 1 lakh rupee discount this month.
Still I am confused, should I wait for facelift, as sales adviser was saying Kona might get phaseout for new evs and he has no updates on facelift?
New Kona is not coming to India, it will be replaced with Ioniq5 which will be far more expensive.
Coming to Kona, it's a great EV. Very efficient and has some cool features. But it's cramped in the rear and the ride is very stiff. Also it might be phased out pretty soon, hence the discount.
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 10:14   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilntny View Post
I am in a similar position, but main concern is Kona battery. They just say Lithium ion polymer, guess it is not LFP, so no idea on life of battery, fire safety and tropical temperature tolerance.

Of course they give the standard 8 year/1,60,000 warranty, but it is too much to risk 24+ lakhs on a dated car and dated technology.

Effectively no well refined/premium non-chinese EV at any reasonable price.
Old 28th October 2022, 21:04   #235
BHPian

Across the world Hyundai is selling 2020 variant even our neighbour Nepal gets the latest version i wonder why Hyundai india is doing this to us for a CBU/CKD unit.

I am planning an ev by Jan-Feb 2023 eager on Kona facelift if it arrives by then it’s fine otherwise have made up by mind to settle down with tiago ev.

Of course both aren’t comparable Evs but this way i can save money for solar at home for future plus once the ev tech gets more mature i.e 2025-26 at that time i can surely upgrade.

Currently Hyundai are offering ₹ 1 lakh plus discount on Kona ev for me it doesn’t makes sense to invest ₹ 22-23 lakh on Kona ev even with the best discounts.
Old 30th October 2022, 18:57   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRoader_001 View Post
Across the world Hyundai is selling 2020 variant even our neighbour Nepal gets the latest version i wonder why Hyundai india is doing this to us for a CBU/CKD unit.

I am planning an ev by Jan-Feb 2023 eager on Kona facelift if it arrives by then it’s fine otherwise have made up by mind to settle down with tiago ev.

Of course both aren’t comparable Evs but this way i can save money for solar at home for future plus once the ev tech gets more mature i.e 2025-26 at that time i can surely upgrade.

Currently Hyundai are offering ₹ 1 lakh plus discount on Kona ev for me it doesn’t makes sense to invest ₹ 22-23 lakh on Kona ev even with the best discounts.
Exactly my thoughts. I gave up waiting for Kona EV facelift. I booked Tiago EV to replace my i20 and I will keep my Creta AT for long runs. I waited more than a year for Kona facelift. Now I'm feeling Tata Tiago EV is a better choice. It is much smaller in size and easy to go around in city. As you said can use that extra money to install Solar panels on roof top and literally do free runs

Yes, of course Kona is way superior to Tiago but also costs 12 to 14 lakhs extra. I don't think it will be a big deal between these two for within city drives. So, no point in spending extra. And for the next few years while the charging infrastructure gets better, we need an oil burner anyway.
Old 16th November 2022, 11:34   #237
BHPian

The IONIQ5 is finally listed on the hyundai website along with the Kona.

https://www.hyundai.com/in/en/find-a-car/ioniq5
sheldon.dz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 13:03   #238
BHPian

Hi all,

This is my first post on this fantastic forum, and I'm excited to be a part of it. I'm looking for an EV with at least a 300km real-world range. Finalised MG ZS and Hyundai Kona. I have booked MG ZS Excite variant several months back and still waiting for delivery. While waiting, I took a test drive of Kona, and despite its 4 years old interior design, I really liked the overall package. I am getting very good discount on September/October 2022 manufactured car and it is readily available in stock.

Now i am in dilemma. Kona has all the features i need except connected car features. Even though the MG has a 360-degree camera and connected car features, it lacks a number of useful features, including front heated and ventilated seats, lumbar adjustment, lateral headrest adjustment, RHD steering controls, Regen level 0, telescoping steering, an electronic day/night rearview mirror, multi-link rear suspension, auto-leveling headlamps, and cornering lamps. I fell the overall build quality is good in Kona compared to MG.

I looked at the Kona facelift model as well, but I wasn't particularly liked the external changes. However, it has newer alloy design, larger touchscreen, fully digital driver instrument cluster, and connected car features.

Please help me to decide.
Old 13th December 2022, 16:17   #239
BHPian

I have compared the battery types, LiPo (Lithium Polymer)*in Kona and LFP in MG. Both have some benefits and drawbacks. As per design, LiPo batteries are actually explosion-proof. The Kona fire incident and recall were caused by a manufacturing flaw rather than a battery design*issue.

Tesla is one of the major automakers that uses LG Chem batteries. In order to prevent future occurrences like*the Kona incident, LG Chem adopted more reliable manufacturing procedures.

Although LFP batteries are more recent and superior, LiPo technology is still viable. It was a tested technology for electric vehicle batteries and has been in use for quite some time.
Hawk4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 12:44   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4 View Post
I have compared the battery types, LiPo (Lithium Polymer)*in Kona and LFP in MG. Both have some benefits and drawbacks. As per design, LiPo batteries are actually explosion-proof. The Kona fire incident and recall were caused by a manufacturing flaw rather than a battery design*issue.

Tesla is one of the major automakers that uses LG Chem batteries. In order to prevent future occurrences like*the Kona incident, LG Chem adopted more reliable manufacturing procedures.

Although LFP batteries are more recent and superior, LiPo technology is still viable. It was a tested technology for electric vehicle batteries and has been in use for quite some time.
Did you find any reference for the number of charge cycles for LiPo? I searched briefly but couldn't find any reliable info.

This commonly cited paper has data for charge cycle vs capacity drop for LFP, NCA and NMC (Figure 1):
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/1...45-7111/abae37

Another unknown is impact of relatively high temperature climate, here again LFPs are supposed to be better.

Hence I am thinking LFP has the least battery risk with EVs in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks