Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2019, 13:33   #106
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Kona : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
Calculating electricity units for charge is pretty easy. the Kona has 39.2Kwh battery so it is 39.2 Units under ideal conditions, since we don't get those, you can take 80% efficiency in charging and we can get around 39.2/0.8 = 49 Units.
for your second query, there is no Home DC charger, it's Home AC Fast charger, which pumps out 7.2KW per hour rather than then 2KW you get from a normal plug, the units consumed will be same.
Fortum has installed few fast chargers in Delhi, it pumps in 50KW and you can get your car to 80% pretty rapidly, the charges are Rs50 + (14.99/min to 18.99/min - based on charger location). So let's say you are charge for 50 minutes which is enough for 80% for Kona, then you will end up with a bill of 50 + (750 - 950) which is way lesser than what you would pay for fossil fuel.

Thanks for the valuable information and insight.

49 units for a complete charge is nice ,in my state Punjab this will come around
₹ 441 assuming 380 km average range this comes to ₹ 1.16 per km which is literally impressive.

I own Brezza if I compare a 380 km ride with best of mileage around speeds of 80-75km /hr this comes to 21-22 km/h assuming even the higher mileage it will consume 17 litres of diesel.

Thus ,for a 380 km ride I have to spend ₹ 1105 roughly coming ₹ 2.9 per km

There is no argument that Evs have the least running cost and if your daily commute is 50-100 km and you can install Solar electricity system at home this makes it even more pocket friendly plus it’s green fuel to core.

Only bottle necks are high cost of Ev adoption ,lack of Ev charging infra in our country (though it’s taking pace) and relatively new technology in term of mass adoption we may have many changes in 2-3 years down the line

I personally expect all manufacturers in India to offer at least one Ev variant by 2020 Q4.

My plan is to first get a solar electricity set up at home then proceed with an Ev till then Ev charging infra would improve.
XRoader_001 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 16:26   #107
BANNED

in Karnataka, it's flat 5 rupees per unit for EV charging, but it has fixed cost of 60 per Kwh. so it will be anywhere between (420+245) to # of charges you do. Still works out to less than a rupee per km if you do more than 700km a month.
BESCOM is not charging for charging at their station at the moment, so the cost per km is 0
DarthVeda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:26   #108
BANNED

Hyundai to enhance special services for Kona EV.
Quote:
New Delhi: Hyundai Motor India Ltd has announced the enhancement of special services for the Kona EV to offer the customers convenience at all touchpoints. The automaker is offering multiple EV charging options to the buyers of the electric SUV.

In a release, the South Korean auto major said, it is providing AC 7.2 KW charger to all customers along with the car to ensure fast charging. Also, it has installed AC 7.2 KW chargers at all 15 EV dealers in 11 cities across India, claimed Hyundai.

Hyundai has partnered with Allianz Worldwide Partners to make Vehicle to Vehicle (V2V) charging facility available in Delhi, Chennai, Bengaluru and Mumbai. Apart from that, it is also making portable chargers available for the consumers in Delhi and Bangalore through Allianz Truck's roadside assistance.

Commenting on Hyundai Kona, S S Kim, MD & CEO, Hyundai Motor India Limited, said, "Setting a benchmark in the industry and to facilitate electric charging at customers ease – our service initiatives are providing round the clock support - anywhere anytime. As a lifetime partner in automobiles and beyond Hyundai has always endeavoured to deliver a happy life to its customers.”
Source: ET Auto
Old 4th December 2019, 11:55   #109
BHPian

Spotted a Kona in South Bangalore today. Personally, I feel OEMs should release the first-gen EVs in unique stand-out colours rather than the usual colour palette. They are still a novelty and customers buying them are mostly wanting to make a statement. The only thing that made me take notice of this small white car in front of me was the green HSRP.

The RTO page could have said "Not Applicable" against Emission Norms instead of "Not Available".

No consent was taken so I've "greened" out some bits. I also feel it may belong to somebody on this thread!

Hyundai Kona : Official Review-kona1.jpg

Hyundai Kona : Official Review-kona2.jpg

Hyundai Kona : Official Review-kona3.jpg
dksv is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 08:34   #110
BHPian

Please forgive the OT question, is there an EV owners thread here, or group on some other platform ? I am expecting delivery of my Kona shortly and was wondering if there is a social support system I can tap into. With a sum total of 30 konas in Chennai on the road as per my dealer, I feel slightly alone !
Old 8th December 2019, 10:19   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
Please forgive the OT question, is there an EV owners thread here, or group on some other platform ?
There's a section on this forum itself on electric cars. You can access the same here. I'm sure there will be a lot of Kona and ZS EV users on it soon.
Old 8th December 2019, 12:09   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful review. Guess this car is too small for me - but can certainly say this is a step in the right direction. Was talking to someone senior I know at one of the auto manufacturers -his view was that in India, it is 15 Amp plugs that will be used for charging most EVs - the logic being 8 hours of charge (overnight) on a 15 AMP plug gets about 20 KWH into the battery - which is more than enough for daily driving in Indian cities. The cost of wiring up individual flats for fast charging will not make sense - so that is more of a gimmick designed to address the psychological needs of customers. May be large apartment blocks can have a few society owned fast charging slots.
Hayek is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 15:12   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Wonderful review. Guess this car is too small for me - but can certainly say this is a step in the right direction. Was talking to someone senior I know at one of the auto manufacturers -his view was that in India, it is 15 Amp plugs that will be used for charging most EVs - the logic being 8 hours of charge (overnight) on a 15 AMP plug gets about 20 KWH into the battery - which is more than enough for daily driving in Indian cities. The cost of wiring up individual flats for fast charging will not make sense - so that is more of a gimmick designed to address the psychological needs of customers. May be large apartment blocks can have a few society owned fast charging slots.
Dear Hayek,

Excellent points.

Issue with overnight charging is endemic power cuts. Usually on DG, the ACCL device for each apartment will trip and stay tripped! How to overcome that?
Old 9th December 2019, 20:03   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirwadi View Post
I`m getting mine delivered, hopefully by this weekend. I`m going with a new meter installation in my apartment, with a special tariff from BESCOM for EV charging purposes, that comes under LT-6(c). This is going to be a 3 phase meter with a sanctioned load of 7.5 KW. My existing meter, being a single phase one, was not recommended by the folks who came for inspection.
Hello.
Were you able to get BESCOM to install a 3 phase meter for the level 2 charger at your home under the LT6(C) rule?
I had mine installed 2 weeks ago, but now the local AE says that the LT6C is only for commercial use and cannot be installed at domestic premises. He is sitting on the file and not willing to issue a RR number.
Any suggestions of how to go forward?
docsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 10:38   #115
BANNED

some guys in PSU are not updated, they are stuck to old rules and don't read the memos i guess. An ather owner had a same experience when registering his EV in Shivamogga, the RTO guy over there wasn't aware that there is no road tax on EV, he persisted that it is not there and finally that guy got it done.
I guess you can keep persisting on the demand and eventually, he will move that file. You can also ask Arun Bhat on Twitter on how he got it done.
DarthVeda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 10:46   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsr View Post
Hello.
Were you able to get BESCOM to install a 3 phase meter for the level 2 charger at your home under the LT6(C) rule?
I had mine installed 2 weeks ago, but now the local AE says that the LT6C is only for commercial use and cannot be installed at domestic premises. He is sitting on the file and not willing to issue a RR number.
Any suggestions of how to go forward?
Why isn't Hyundai helping you on this?
I was informed that the installation process is fully managed by Hyundai.
Old 10th December 2019, 11:14   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Why isn't Hyundai helping you on this?
I was informed that the installation process is fully managed by Hyundai.
Hyundai will fit the designated charger only at the point chosen by the buyer. All other cabling till the point of installation has to be arranged by the buyer at his cost, and any administrative matters like the special BESCOM RR connection is way out of their ambit.

Last edited by itwasntme : 10th December 2019 at 11:23.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 09:49   #118
BHPian

When I was in the US, charging a tesla in the rain was never an issue: all the DC high speed chargers were out in the open anyway. Especially between San Fran and LA, on the highway, I’ve left our rented model X charging next to plenty of others EVs in the rain, uncovered.

The Hyundai folks however want me to install the wall charger in a covered area (this I am ok with) but want the car to be under a covered area while charging too ! Is this really needed ? The Konas abroad are not subject to these requirements ?
Old 13th December 2019, 10:50   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
but want the car to be under a covered area while charging too !
That's a pretty lame request. It's equivalent to saying that the car isn't earthed properly so there could be a risk of electric shocks

A cover for the charger is still understandable. But again, the network of chargers that are to be created on highways etc do need to be sufficiently covered or more significantly, able to sustain poor weather conditions in order for them to function without major downtime.
Old 16th December 2019, 10:18   #120
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Kona Electric sets off for Everest base camp

Hyundai is undertaking the first zero emission drive to Everest base camp with the Kona Electric SUV. The car was flagged off from Lhasa, Tibet.

Hyundai Kona : Official Review-kona-electric-emission-impossible.jpg

The 700 km long drive from Lhasa to the Everest base camp is being led by Padma Shree awardee and mountaineer Ajeet Bajaj. The Everest base camp is located at an altitude of around 17,000 feet and the car is expected to encounter temperature variations of up to -12 degrees.

The Kona Electric uses a 39.2 kWh battery that powers an electric motor that has an output of 134 BHP and 395 Nm. Hyundai claims that the car can accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 9.7 seconds, while the battery is said to offer an ARAI certified range of 452 km on a single charge.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks