Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2019, 18:49   #16
BHPian

Re: Petrol-head is dead, long live...? What do you call a fan of EVs?

Or maybe vegan. Just kidding! It will indeed be a sad day when we bid adieu to our childhood love- the ICE cars. I have been wondering about it for a long time and have come to the conclusion that any change happens for our own good. We need to adapt, survival of the fittest. Who knows? We may have flying personal vehicles in the future

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 23rd October 2019 at 18:50. Reason: Fixed grammatical error
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 20:27   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Petrol-head is dead, long live...? What do you call a fan of EVs?

It is anybody’s guess as to how this replacement of IC powered cars to electrical powered cars is going to play out.

And as mentioned by several members we are likely to see a different pace of replacement as well. Region by region.

In my home country the Netherlands the current government intends to pass legislation which means as as of 2030 onwards no IC cars can be bought anymore.

Once such legislation does get passed people will start to think twice about investing in an IC powered car. Maybe not immediately, but certainly by 2025 it will get people to think.

There is no way to predict what will happen with the second hand market of IC powered cars. Is it going to boom for a few years or collapse and more or less seize to exist within years. Arguments can be made for both scenario’s.

In addition we see more and more legislation being enforced regarding use of IC powered cars in Cities. Not just the Netherlands, most of the EU.

So we are heading towards an end of the IC area in terms of being able to purchasing one, whilst at the same time using one is going to meet with increasing restrictions.

There might be some Petrol heads who will simply refuse to drive anything that does not have an IC engine. I think not too many. Most of us will need or will prefer a car.

But car ownership is changing as well. Apart from fewer people buying cars, car ownership is taking a new turn as well. Fractional car ownership, car as a service are already in place in various countries.

There is likely to be some enthusiasts who will rant and rave over electrical cars. Surely huge amounts of torque and being very quiet are relevant factors

I think we are moving from a world where lots of people (not just petrol heads) enjoyed individual car ownership to a world where lots of people look for easy access (not necessarily ownership) to a transportation device. The car becomes a commodity. It is just a device to take you from A to B. Highly standardised and highly automated.

Again, there will always be niches that cater for the more individual orientated persons.

IC to electrical is about a new technology. The other part is more about useage, habits, convenience, culture. The commonality between the two is the drive for a more sustainable, greener, environment.

Although these two trends are taking place in parallel, they will play out against different time lines. But are also depended on one another.

Will I ever own an electrical car. My biggest worry is to what extend and or restrictions I will be allowed to drive my classic cars.

I never buy new cars, so if the second hand IC car markets collapses I might be a able to buy a lot of cars that would be out of my current reach!

I will continue using and enjoying IC cars for as long as I can.

But as Petrol heads we are a dying breed. That I am convinced of. Just a matter of time, enjoy it whilst it lasts!

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 23rd October 2019 at 20:43.
Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 21:51   #18
BHPian

Regarding petrol/diesel cars being around in our lifetime, I fervently hope GTO's words do come true.

Last edited by TheStranger : 23rd October 2019 at 21:57.
TheStranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 22:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

You could call them "Electro-cute" or "Li-on head"! I think we all would be a 'watershed' generation to make the transition; I'm curious hope to live long enough to experience the change. Its not like once the transition is made the world will look like Salzburg from the "Sound of music".

Last edited by Durango Dude : 23rd October 2019 at 22:07.
Durango Dude is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 09:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Our ancestors have lived differently from us and our descendants would certainly live differently from us too.

Petrol driven cars would probably go down as being around for 100+ years - a very short time in the history of humankind.

Everything in the world comes around full circle to where it started so probably Human transportatioin may look like this in the eyes of time:

Walking - Horses - Horse drawn carriages - Bullock carts - steam driven vehicles - petrol driven car - electric car - Horse drawn carriages - Horses - Walking

The more plausible scenario is newer forms of energy which leave even less of a carbon footprint than electricity. As they say, necessity is the mother of invention and it's going to take a lot to put humankind without a mode of transportation.

On the OP's question it's probably better to be Energy-source neutral and just have Motörhead - this term can be used irrespective of the energy that drives the car.
AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 11:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

Petrol-head is dead, long live...? What do you call a fan of EVs?-4190227eng_01.0.jpg
We will probably have cute cars likes these and we would call them Electro"Cute"

For the fans they could be called "Jolt" head.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 25th October 2019 at 11:12.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 21:43   #22
BHPian

I already got myself this shirt printed.
Attached Images

rascalangel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 22:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

In the developed world what will kill the individual motorist (petrolhead or otherwise) will be insurance rates, once automated cars are seen as safer. In an environment of automated cars, the human driver will be a huge source of unpredictability = risk.

The production lines for ICE (and other current tech) will be dumped on the third world. We will enjoy motoring as we know it for some more decades than the first world.
The term 'driving holidays' will take on a new meaning. (Like medical tourism).

As a rider would anyone care if the vehicle is electric, ICE, nuclear, or steam?

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 25th October 2019 at 22:26.
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 12:36   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
In the developed world what will kill the individual motorist (petrolhead or otherwise) will be insurance rates, once automated cars are seen as safer. In an environment of automated cars, the human driver will be a huge source of unpredictability = risk.
I think the total cost of ownership is going to more relevant. It varies country by country but insurance does not have to be huge. As an example. Third party insurance on our Ford Fiesta is less than Euro 20 a month. Fully comprehensive with 5 years no claim is just a total of Euro 50 a month. Filling up that little petrol tank cost more on a single fill.

The big tickets components on total cost of ownership are depreciation, maintenance (including tyres etc), fuel, road tax and insurance.

When it comes to maintenance everybody claims an EV will cost a lot less than an IC. I think it will cost less, but I am not sure how much. It will, due to heavier weight, use more and heavier brake components tyres and suspension. Check out your itemised service bill. How many items are IC related (e.g. oil) and how many you will still have on a EV.

Anybody’s guess what depreciation will do on this E-vehicle. Even if it settles at similar levels as on current levels it will still be the biggest factors. Our Fiesta had a new sticker price of Euro 16.500, we bought it at Euro 12.000, less than a year old with 10.000km on the clock.

For me the biggest uncertainty is road tax and fuel. Road tax by the way, in many countries has a huge weight component in it. The heavier the more. Road tax on the Fiesta is Euro 35 a month, on the Jaguar almost Euro 100. More importantly road tax and fuel are huge sources of income for the government. On fuel alone almost 75% of what I pay for a liter of Euro 95 is tax of some sort. (Euro 95 is approx Euro 1.75 / litter)

The total amount of tax we pay is never coming down. It will get re-distributed some other way, through different means. So the whole idea that E-vehicle are cheaper to use as electricity is cheaper than petrol/diesel is true today, but will need to change. It is not sustainable. Roads need to built and maintained.

Most likely we will go to some sort of system where car usage is taxed. We have had that debate for the last decade here in the Netherlands. Essentially ever car will be equipped with a tracker and you pay per kilometer. It will be possible to differentiate based on time of the day, day of the week, geography etc. Very likely weight/size will be used to determine some sort of base rate per car model. Since weight/size determines road use / road wear.

So we will see

Quote:
The production lines for ICE (and other current tech) will be dumped on the third world. We will enjoy motoring as we know it for some more decades than the first world.
Agree

Quote:
The term 'driving holidays' will take on a new meaning. (Like medical tourism).
Agree

Quote:
As a rider would anyone care if the vehicle is electric, ICE, nuclear, or steam?
I will take one of each please. Certainly the nuclear one would be cool!
Believe it or not; My merchant navy Chief Engineer certificate is a so called unlimited ticket. I am allowed to serve as chief on any type ship, any size, any power plant. So it allows me to run the engine room of a nuclear powered ship, so a nuclear car should be easy. (I will have to dig up my old naval college books on nuclear energy!)

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 26th October 2019 at 12:40.
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 10:15   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Based on the motor - Magno-heads
Based on the sound - Whine-tasters
Based on the emission - ZeroHeros
Based on the credentials - Greenbeans
Based on the environmental lust - Elecherous
On a lighter note, some of these sound like IPL or Kabaddi teams
PearlJam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 10:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

Visual forms of electricity are sparks and lightning.
I'd call a fan of EVs as Sparkheads.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 12:00   #27
BHPian

Electro head/heart
Green head
Tesla boy/girl
EVhead
Motorhead
superbad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 14:31   #28

Motor-head is a neutral term so I believe it covers all car fans. I also like torque-head.

But I do keep saying electric cars won't replace ICE. Maybe diesel will go extinct but petrol is here to stay. They claim electric cars are 'cheaper' to maintain but trust me a battery change will destroy your pocket. And yes, the toll will increase too.

India, as usual, will take decades to switch to electric but with the predicted fall of oil prices, increased toll and battery cost would mean that we're not leaving ICE.
Enthusiasts like us will like EVs but the crowd of "Kitna deti hai" will still ask the same question.
New_Kid_Jay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 15:18   #29
BHPian

Motor heads looks good as collective term for all Driving enthusiasts. I think that divide is already there, motor heads and uber walas.

I don’t think electric revolution is decades away, in india.Electro head, torque head or even Green head looks good for EV fans.
I had driven my father in law’s BMW 530i hybrid overseas. The instant torque is really addictive. I know hybrids are different from pure EVs, but driving that car made me re think about my perception of EVs in general.
I don’t really mind about the missing engine sound as long there is enough torque to push me back to the seat every time I floor the accelerator.
rapid_fire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 19:53   #30
BHPian

Some of the suggestions:

LiOns/LiOn Heads
Chargers
EVes
Shockers
SuperCharged (in a different way)
WiredHeads
Volters/VoltHeads
PoDiHeads (potential difference)
AmpereHeads
GridPeople
Transformers?