Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2020, 14:41   #31
BHPian

Re: My Hyundai Kona EV - Kitna chalti hai?

Could some one please explain this 'regen' for me? I have no knowledge of EV's and whenever I read about regenerative braking, I assumed by using the brakes some power was being generated?

Clearly it is wrong, so please can someone explain?
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 14:42   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYP View Post
$100 per kWh is Bloomberg Finance's prediction of Li-Ion batteries by 2026 plus import duty. The price today is $200 per kWh. You replace the battery and are good to go for another 7 years, hence the 3L maintenance cost can be equated to all 14 Years, of course apart from wear and tear parts.
You must be referring to old data. 2019 price is $156 per kWh as per Bloomberg (see below image). At the same time, they are projecting the $100 per kWh price to be reached by 2023. They are conservative each year and had to revise the $100/kWh timeline every time. The battery prices are down significantly (~87%) over the last decade. The main reason behind this decline is the improvement in technology. Actual economies of scale start to impact from this year with huge factories coming online.

Name:  battery_price_2010_2019.PNG
Views: 3724
Size:  97.4 KB
sri_tesla is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 14:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

Congratulation on your Kona.
Off all the EVs currently available in India, Kona is definitely the best of the lot.
Cannot compare with ZS or Nexon EV. Only thing I don't like about the Kona is the ride and the rear seat space.
Old 25th February 2020, 15:14   #34
BHPian

Congratulations for your new ride. While I have electric car in my wish list since long, but I afraid I might not be able get one till public charging infrastructure issues and battery life anxiety is gone.

Do you cross Mundhwa signal? I remember seeing a Kona few times in last few weeks.
Old 25th February 2020, 15:29   #35
RYP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Could some one please explain this 'regen' for me? I have no knowledge of EV's and whenever I read about regenerative braking, I assumed by using the brakes some power was being generated?

A common misconception, obviously the brakes don't generate any power. We all know supplying electricity rotates the motor shaft, then the role reversal of rotating a motor shaft produces electricity. So when regen is activated, Motor stops supplying power and instead accepts power from the wheels and produces electricity thereby slowing the vehicle down. This phenomenon is regen braking, It's exactly like Engine braking but with the Motor instead. Level 1, Level 2, Level 3... regen can be equated to Engine braking down a slope in Gear 1, Gear 2, Gear 3... In engine braking the transfer of energy from wheels to engine is wasted as heat, but in an EV the electricity produced by rotation of the motor shaft is bottled up in the same battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
You must be referring to old data. 2019 price is $156 per kWh as per Bloomberg (see below image). At the same time, they are projecting the $100 per kWh price to be reached by 2023. They are conservative each year and had to revise the $100/kWh timeline every time. The battery prices are down significantly (~87%) over the last decade. The main reason behind this decline is the improvement in technology. Actual economies of scale start to impact from this year with huge factories coming online.

Attachment 1973520
Even by the current estimates it still is around 2.5L with import duty plus actual replacement cost. If economies of scale do impact in a disruptive manner 2L would be my safe bet
RYP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 15:38   #36
BHPian

Congratulations @mohanphadnis on the Kona. I too am looking for an EV and have been bitten by the MG ZS EV Exclusive. My main concern was the cost per unit while charging at home here in Bangalore. So going by the max slab rate and multiplying it by the battery gives me a rough idea. As for running cost of approx 1.2Km/rs is 5 times cheaper than my Creta.

Thanks for sharing, will keep reading your ownership updates on the Kona.
Old 25th February 2020, 16:03   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Congratulations on the Kona! How long does it take to charge from 20% to 80% or to 100%?
If I charge at the maximum 7.2kW, it takes around 3.5 hours to go from 20-80%. And then a long time to go to 100%, I have never really checked the 80-100 time, and have always done it overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post

You are not really wrong.
regen does means "regenerative breaking", basically electric motors, if you slow down the RMS speed of the motor and get it below the axle speed, the motor starts acting like a generator.
So this slows down the car, while getting some energy back which stored in the batteries, and because it is slowing down the rotation, you never really loose control, because the never locks up.

In cars like taycan the regen kicks in when the brakes are pressed, but in most EVs, the accelerator controls when it kicks in, so moment you lift off, the reg will kick in depending on the setting.
Plus Kona has a peddle, pulling which, will apply the regen till the car is standing still.
Below is a very nice video which talks about EVs and at 08:12 it talks about regnerative breaking. While this video is about 3 phase induction motors, the Permanent magnet synchronous motors uses basically the same principle

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhaoT View Post
Congratulations for your new ride. While I have electric car in my wish list since long, but I afraid I might not be able get one till public charging infrastructure issues and battery life anxiety is gone.

Do you cross Mundhwa signal? I remember seeing a Kona few times in last few weeks.
That may be me
mohanphadnis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 20:09   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I think 500 km range will be the threshold which will drive the electric car penetration in India. (very close to the Goa litmus test).

Once we have vehicles in that range, the adoption will propel and self-sustain.

I wish Tesla would launch in India soon, and at a reasonable price!
That is a somewhat unreasonable expectation. How many people drive over 300 kms non stop and that too in India where it can take you over 5 hours? One needs and should take a break every 2 to 3 hours. If you have a 500 km trip, you can stop for lunch, dinner or tea break of 30 to 60 minutes after about 200 to 250 kms. If you stop once for 45 minutes for a meal and then once again for 20 minutes for tea or coffee, you can easily make your 500 kms. Sure it might take an extra 30 minutes vs. a fuel burner along with a little planning but the benefits of cost saving, protecting the environment and having a cutting edge vehicle more than make up for the minor inconvenience.

The only reason I haven’t purchased the Kona yet is that it lacks advanced driving aids like adaptive cruise control and collision avoidance that are provided in other markets.

Last edited by Lobogris : 25th February 2020 at 20:10.
Lobogris is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 00:22   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Congratulations on the Kona! How long does it take to charge from 20% to 80% or to 100%?
The last 10% takes about 40 mins in my experience.

My Hyundai Kona EV - Kitna chalti hai?-11fc3e5dfbd240f794043400f3b3b274.jpeg
reihem is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 05:19   #40
Senior - BHPian

You have to be brave to get on to the EV bandwagon in India, considering infrastructure does not exist. That said, I am glad you took the plunge and you are able to harness renewable energy to juice up your drive. I believe EV should be on everyone's radar. This should be your next car.

The other big advantage of EV is much improved performance from the audio system. You can hear almost everything from the stereo at even the lowest gain settings.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 10:11   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanphadnis View Post
Kryptonite::: Highway driving

Now we get to the kryptonite for EVs getting them out of the city....
It's fantastic how you say "The car will be ready at departure time", This sounds like a line from a Sci Fi movie. "The car knows"

The only thing that stops me from buying an EV is the fear of running out of charge, but then you loose some you win some !

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th February 2020 at 12:46. Reason: Trimmed quote. Please do NOT quote entire posts while responding.
Old 26th February 2020, 10:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
That is a somewhat unreasonable expectation. How many people drive over 300 kms non stop and that too in India where it can take you over 5 hours? One needs and should take a break every 2 to 3 hours. If you have a 500 km trip, you can stop for lunch, dinner or tea break of 30 to 60 minutes after about 200 to 250 kms. If you stop once for 45 minutes for a meal and then once again for 20 minutes for tea or coffee, you can easily make your 500 kms.
Not really, you are assuming a Tesla like supercharger network, where a 45 minute break will provide a substantial boost to the battery. In any drive, you cant plan for loo breaks based on charger availability. Defeats the whole purpose of driving. A drive for me is where I can take whatever route I want, stop whenever I feel like, have lunch at places which suddenly catch my attention.

However, 500 kms comes into picture when the charging becomes a overnight thing and you dont worry about that during the drive. With current range, I will have to manage my speed, my accessories usage, AC usage to make the right pit stops. Which is very restrictive.
Old 26th February 2020, 10:50   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Not really, you are assuming a Tesla like supercharger network, where a 45 minute break will provide a substantial boost to the battery. In any drive, you cant plan for loo breaks based on charger availability. Defeats the whole purpose of driving. A drive for me is where I can take whatever route I want, stop whenever I feel like, have lunch at places which suddenly catch my attention.

However, 500 kms comes into picture when the charging becomes a overnight thing and you dont worry about that during the drive. With current range, I will have to manage my speed, my accessories usage, AC usage to make the right pit stops. Which is very restrictive.
These are minor drawbacks and the advantages more than make up for me.
Like I stated, EVs require a little planning and a small delay in your trip. That is perfectly acceptable to me for a chance to enjoy cutting edge technology, reduce emissions and save on travel costs. Fast chargers are coming up at many locations. If I have a favorite place for food or beverage and they don’t have a charging facility, I would happily switch to a place that provides the facility. If the location with the facility is not acceptable, I have no issues with eating at one place and then stopping to charge at another. It is only once in a few months that most people have to drive long distances. An extra couple of hours twice a year are nothing compared to the advantages of an EV.
Lobogris is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 16:06   #44
Senior - BHPian

Amazing purchase, and wish you many happy miles with the Kona! Thank you for thinking differently from the typical buyer and putting the environment first

Could you explain this roll on acceleration that you spoke about? I'm not sure I understood exactly what you meant, particularly for overtaking.
Old 26th February 2020, 19:31   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have been running in the mornings for almost 5 years now, I am not the fastest person, but if you have met a person who pays money and goes to run marathons, you would know we lot are deadly serious when it comes to running and increasing speed.
In pursuit of getting some speed, I started cycling to office as a form of cross training, while cycling was great for me in terms of increasing my fitness.
We are all eagerly waiting for you to come back to running. Glad to see this confession that cycling is just a cross-training :-)

Quote:
all the diesels spew unburnt hydrocarbon, which was coming out of my body once I reached office/home.
I am done with diesels. Had the Tucson for 8 years, drove across the length and breadth of our country. The NVH used to get to me (and Tucson diesel engine was way more silent and smooth compared to Tata and Mahindra of that time, yet it was irritating). BTW, during the Ladakh road trip I noticed all the snow was brown/black - it had absorbed all the smoke coming out of diesel vehicles. Sick!

Quote:
5. Space saver spare - That spare is 135/80 17. They look so horrible.
Also, it needs 60PSI which most road side puncture shops can't generate, their compressors are often far too weak. This is a big risk factor for cross country drives. I am changing the space saver in the GTI to a full size spare.

Quote:

That worst energy consumption I ever got??? Had @anandpadhye test drive my car, got 6km/kWh. I am guessing that is the floor for this car
And I thought I was easy on the car!

Quote:
Now Kona EV gives a beautiful charge management utility using which one can reduce the amount of current you pull, so I changed it to pull reduced current and that dropped the wattage to 2kW. boom, the heat problem solved.
Awesome feature! Very thoughtful of Hyundai.
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks