Re: 3 Nights & 2 days with the MG ZS EV - Extended Test Drive & Review

No other alternatives as of now.... hope it gets delivered soon
Old 22nd January 2022, 09:53   #167
BHPian

Re: 3 Nights and 2 days with the MG ZS EV - Extended Test Drive - Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmind View Post
Thanks for the review.
So, if the math goes right, I understand it as no point in going for an EV as cost/km is coming down to same as a regular car unless you use slow charging! Or is the math wrong?
And struggle to find a charging doc still prevails in India.
Oh no, I've owned the 2021 ZS EV for a little over 6 months now and in the city, the Cost per km for us is 1rs/km. I've given a detailed review and a long distance review on my page so you could check it out if you like. Cheers!
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 13:31   #168
BHPian

Re: 3 Nights and 2 days with the MG ZS EV - Extended Test Drive - Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmind View Post
Thanks for the review.
So, if the math goes right, I understand it as no point in going for an EV as cost/km is coming down to same as a regular car unless you use slow charging! Or is the math wrong?
And struggle to find a charging doc still prevails in India.
Not correct at all. At home you can charge at Rs 3 to 8 per KWh depending on your rate and thus it turns out to be less than Re1 per km. Some states like Delhi provide a cheaper meter for EVs. If you have solar power then you can even charge for free. Many offices, malls and hotels provide free charging whereas I have never seen anyone offering free fuel. When using fast chargers for out of town trips, the cost is still much lesser than a petrol or diesel vehicle. Let me give you an example of some of the trips I do frequently in my EV. Delhi to Chandigarh or Jaipur are both around 300 kms. I would leave home fully charged and can drive around 350kms. I would charge for around Rs 400 to 500 on the way twice (once on each leg) with a little top up in the city if I am staying there for a while and driving around. Often the hotels provide free charging and so do many malls. So the total cost would be around Rs 1,000 plus around 250 for the initial charge at home. For a distance of around 800kms including many days of city driving. On a petrol vehicle this would be around 8k while a diesel would cost around 5k. So even when using fast chargers, it costs significantly less than an ICE vehicle. The rate of Rs35 per KWh used in not correct. Most fast chargers cost around Rs 18 to 20 per KWh apart from Karnataka where they are cheaper. Even Fortum charges 13 to 20 per KWh depending on whether they are running a special. There are many days when some provider declares free or discounted charging. When did you last see a petrol station offering free fuel or a 50% discount for a month?

Last edited by Lobogris : 22nd January 2022 at 13:33.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 13:04   #169
Senior - BHPian

MG ZS EV in partnership with Fortum Charge and Drive, EV owners are entitled to unlimited Free Charing for MG ZS EV on Fortum Charge and Drive India network. Offer valid till 31st March 2022.

3 Nights & 2 days with the MG ZS EV - Extended Test Drive & Review-20220225_130237.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 25th February 2022 at 13:06.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 12:57   #170
BHPian

My ZS EV has now done 39,000km. To begin with, its been fun! I really love the feel of the car. it has never left me stranded. Always been a reliable workhorse. I have extensively used it and found no major concerns. However, dealerships are a total pain. I have been complaining regarding issues related to noise from a year now with no permanent relief. Listing out my complaint to them:-

Steering
Steering rack has been changed one month back under warranty but the results have become worse. The steering yet has play and makes noise on slight undulations on the road. Moreover, the steering makes clicking sounds on turning randomly. There seems to be a loose bolt or broken bush causing this issue as per my experience. This concern has been long standing and is usually solved when I pick the vehicle up but creeps in within a week or so. Now they have asked me to change boot, bearing and lower arm bushes and that too at my cost. These parts were changed by them a little over a year back and they have already given way! I really don't believe them. Feel they are doing trial and error at my cost.

Sunroof
The sunroof is continuously creaking. I have made numerous complaints and raised our concerns on it fitment but remains unresolved. Each time the sunroof is just lubricated and returned. There was an instance when I complained about a hissing sound in high speeds which resembled something like an air leak but they said there is no problem or sound. The front glass pane of the sunroof was slightly higher than the rear which they claimed to be normal. Finally this was resolved by another dealership in Goa. They were amazed it was stated as normal by the Mumbai Dealership. I specifically asked them not to carry out the same process they have been doing since a year, but voila, they simply lubricate it and ask me to check it. Obviously there won't be any noise if you lubricate the unit. In 10 days time, the noise is back.

Battery
The battery seems to be draining just after a charge. It looses 3-4% after a fast charge and it looses 1% immediately after a slow charge. This occurs between 500m to 1,000m. This issue has been reported to them earlier but no resolution was given. Moreover, the battery voltage does not exceed 448V on a full charge whereas it should be much higher. The SOH (State OF Health) has drastically fallen. Vehicle range is maximised at 220-230km on a full charge which is low. Battery performance has been my primary concern and I have raised this many times. Vehicle is only charged by the portable charger. The vehicle has been rated to a maximum charge speed of 50kw. But even on a 120kw charger, the vehicle charges only 25kw in one hour. This has been tested on multiple chargers namely: Fortum, Wakad; Kia Crystal, Baner; Shell Pump, Alandi; Jio Bp charger, Kharghar, little mall. While other vehicles have performed with full capacity on the same charger, mine is not performing. First I was told my battery percentage is at 98% and as we exchanged mails, I was told battery health is now 93%! They even claim all the above is normal!!

Aircon Cooling
There has been air leaking massively from the footwells specially the Driver-side and from the front defroster which remains unresolved from over a year. I am told this can't be rectified.

Suspension
The suspension has been repeatedly re-torqued but it keeps making noise. Each time vehicle is given with this concern. It is resolved but within a span of two days, we are back to square one. It feels like the entire front section is loose. The rear shockers tend to hit when car hits a pot hole. Their resolve was to change the boot, bearing and lower arm bushes. Wonder why this was not done in a year?

Map Data Not Updated

Since we have purchased this car, we have noticed the maps are very old and not updated. I have repeatedly requested to raise this concern with MG and have this updated. I have asked them to do so in past but no resolution received for this. All manufacturers give map Satnam updates.

I have refused to take vehicle delivery and pushed this to Pulsehub, MG India helpline who have asked me to wait. The dealership has been forcing me to take delivery and claim that we are not responsible for your vehicle and you will have to pay parking charges for the days vehicle has been with us. I pray someone can help me here and I pray no one else is stuck in a similar position.

Last edited by Axe77 : 27th March 2023 at 18:01. Reason: Edited for typos, punctuation and suitable use of caps.
suryaj1990 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 14:14   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suryaj1990 View Post
my ZS EV has now done 39,000km.
My experience. After 2.5 years the battery at startup, after full charge, shows a range of 330km. I think earlier it was 334km. Eco mode, no AC.

Also agree that there was small creeking sound around the sunroof. This was fixed during the last servicing.

Do you face the issue of fan noise (humming noise that increases, followed by a thud, then stops, repeats) in hot weather or when the car is driven over 40-50km?
Old 27th March 2023, 14:36   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Battery
The battery seems to be draining just after a charge. It looses 3-4% after a fast charge and it looses 1% immediately after a slow charge. This occurs between 500m to 1,000m.
I do not know about the other issues but I can say that this is expected behaviour. Each time you charge, there will be a small difference in the voltage of each cell. This difference might get compounded incase of fast charging. This inturn results in the BMS reporting an incorrect SOC till you do a full balance.

With the ZS EV, after a few consecutive DC charges, even if the SOC says it is 95 or 100%, it will probably be only around 90%. Within the first few km of driving, the correct SOC and range starts getting reported. Once you go back home and fully charge along with a full balance (meaning the MG light stops blinking and then goes fully off), all the cells will be at the same voltage and the SOC reported will be correct.

PS: I have been able to charge by ZS at 70kW on the new Star 120kW chargers at shell. Regularly get 49kW at all the Zeon ABB chargers. This definitely needs an explanation. If your battery is not behaving as expected, you must ask for a replacement under warranty. Also, what is the range reported by your car with AC off and in "N" model after a full charge and balancing? When the car is new, this number would have been 320km.

Last edited by lina : 27th March 2023 at 14:41.
Old 27th March 2023, 14:53   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
I do not know about the other issues but I can say that this is expected behaviour. Each time you charge, there will be a small difference in the voltage of each cell. This difference might get compounded incase of fast charging. This inturn results in the BMS reporting an incorrect SOC till you do a full balance.

With the ZS EV, after a few consecutive DC charges, even if the SOC says it is 95 or 100%, it will probably be only around 90%. Within the first few km of driving, the correct SOC and range starts getting reported. Once you go back home and fully charge along with a full balance (meaning the MG light stops blinking and then goes fully off), all the cells will be at the same voltage and the SOC reported will be correct.

PS: I have been able to charge by ZS at 70kW on the new Star 120kW chargers at shell. Regularly get 49kW at all the Zeon ABB chargers. This definitely needs an explanation. If your battery is not behaving as expected, you must ask for a replacement under warranty. Also, what is the range reported by your car with AC off and in "N" model after a full charge and balancing? When the car is new, this number would have been 320km.
I charge by portable charger regularly. Helps in better balancing. I do not use the wall box charger. But the moment I hit a fast charger, the drop in % occurs. At the moment it shows:

308km in ECO Mode without AC
295km in Normal Mode without AC
Old 27th March 2023, 14:57   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjee View Post
My experience. After 2.5 years the battery at startup, after full charge, shows a range of 330km. I think earlier it was 334km. Eco mode, no AC.

Also agree that there was small creeking sound around the sunroof. This was fixed during the last servicing.

Do you face the issue of fan noise (humming noise that increases, followed by a thud, then stops, repeats) in hot weather or when the car is driven over 40-50km?
Mine shows 308km in ECO Mode.

Yes Fan noise occurs but its a very mild "hum". does no creep into the cabin. if its excessive, ask them to check if the housing is properly secured round the radiator. The other noise is the pump. Its kicking in since the battery is getting heated up. Happened in mine but once I complained, they rectified it. I think they had changed the pumps
suryaj1990 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 15:33   #175
BHPian

Quote:
I charge by portable charger regularly. Helps in better balancing. I do not use the wall box charger. But the moment I hit a fast charger, the drop in % occurs. At the moment it shows:

308km in ECO Mode without AC
295km in Normal Mode without AC
Portable or wall-box wont make any difference as both are AC. Your SOH is about 92% which is ok. Slightly more than the usual average degradation we have seen for this mileage but not too alarming.

I suspect that you keep your SOC quite high all the time. If you are doing that, I suggest you keep your SOC between 50-70% as much as possible and take it to 100% only while driving long distances. 2021 and earlier models have NMC batteries which dont like to be at very high or low SOCs.

Last edited by lina : 27th March 2023 at 15:34.
Old 27th March 2023, 15:41   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
Portable or wall-box wont make any difference as both are AC. Your SOH is about 92% which is ok. Slightly more than the usual average degradation we have seen for this mileage but not too alarming.

I suspect that you keep your SOC quite high all the time. If you are doing that, I suggest you keep your SOC between 50-70% as much as possible and take it to 100% only while driving long distances. 2021 and earlier models have NMC batteries which dont like to be at very high or low SOCs.
IMHO the portable charger can be called trickle charging of some sorts. The current achieved is barely 3-4amps as compared to 17amps on the wall box. The portable charger helps balance the cells gradually and prevents heating up of the batteries whereas on the wall box, the balancing takes place from 100% till the MG light goes off.

If your vehicle goes below 70% SOH, they will replace battery. They give 8 years for it. As per senior execs of the company, if he SOH falls more than 3.75% per year, it is alarming and your eligible for a battery change. However, mine is at 93% which means the total loss is of 7% which translates to 2.3% which according to them is healthy. Yet able to achieve a consistent 250km now at speeds of 100-120kmph
Old 27th March 2023, 17:17   #177
BHPian

Quote:
IMHO the portable charger can be called trickle charging of some sorts. The current achieved is barely 3-4amps as compared to 17amps on the wall box. The portable charger helps balance the cells gradually and prevents heating up of the batteries whereas on the wall box, the balancing takes place from 100% till the MG light goes off.

If your vehicle goes below 70% SOH, they will replace battery. They give 8 years for it. As per senior execs of the company, if he SOH falls more than 3.75% per year, it is alarming and your eligible for a battery change. However, mine is at 93% which means the total loss is of 7% which translates to 2.3% which according to them is healthy. Yet able to achieve a consistent 250km now at speeds of 100-120kmph
The car will balance on an AC charger regardless of the power of the charger. Portable, wallbox or anything else will balance the cells so long as it is an ac power source. Balancing is a function of the onboard charger which converts AC to DC.

FYI, there is absolutely no details on the battery warranty for MG India customers apart from the 8 years. The talk of 70% etc is all hearsay from international customers and is not a legally valid statement. For all practical purposes, unless the degradation is catastrophic, MG is not required to replace the battery.

NMC batteries typically degrade a lot in the first few years and settle at about 90% for the majority of its life and then suddenly dip again towards the end. I wont be worried unless your battery degrades below 85% in the next 2 years. Try and keep your SOC between 50 and 70% as much as possible.
lina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 08:31   #178
BHPian

Guys, has anyone had any experience replacing the RFID key that comes with the wall charger installed with the MG ZS EV?
We got ours installed in ~Nov'21. One of the keys went missing a month back and I checked with the vendor (Exicom) regarding the replacement.
They sent me a quote as follows;3 Nights & 2 days with the MG ZS EV - Extended Test Drive & Review-ae0c28f4972c45349ce7059117dcc0e1.jpg

Is this a fair price? I only need one key (as a back-up, since I already have one).
Also I was told that the key can be replaced easily if I provide the number printed on the key (which I have since I kept two snaps of the keys when they came). Frankly, I understand the price of Rs. 350 for a key, but don't really get the rationale for such high cost of testing and integration :(

Any guidance and/or suggestion will be extremely helpful. Thanks!

Last edited by doctorjee : 31st March 2023 at 08:32.
doctorjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 14:36   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjee View Post
Guys, has anyone had any experience replacing the RFID key that comes with the wall charger installed with the MG ZS EV?
We got ours installed in ~Nov'21. One of the keys went missing a month back and I checked with the vendor (Exicom) regarding the replacement.
They sent me a quote as follows;Attachment 2435339

Is this a fair price? I only need one key (as a back-up, since I already have one).
Also I was told that the key can be replaced easily if I provide the number printed on the key (which I have since I kept two snaps of the keys when they came). Frankly, I understand the price of Rs. 350 for a key, but don't really get the rationale for such high cost of testing and integration :(

Any guidance and/or suggestion will be extremely helpful. Thanks!
When the time comes, they really drain the customer for money. I would suggest using the app instead of the RFID. Much more easier and stress free
suryaj1990 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 08:03   #180
BHPian

Quote:
When the time comes, they really drain the customer for money. I would suggest using the app instead of the RFID. Much more easier and stress free
Ok i wasn't aware that there is an app for home chargers. Will check. Thank you!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks