Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2021, 10:50   #106
BHPian

Re: 3 Nights & 2 days with the MG ZS EV - Extended Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by architkarpe View Post
I have observed that i am getting three beeps (tiding sound) randomly sometimes at 60kmph.
I did observe this during my test drive as well. It happened only when -
I was on the highway at speeds around 60 kmph or above, sometimes even when i was close to but below 60). Did not notice when driving in city traffic, speeds less than 50 or so.
And when i was maneuvering the vehicle, in some case when i was trying to overtake or swap to service lane.
I assumed it was some warning cue/indicator but did not observe any visual on the MID.
Did not seem random or repetitive but more based on the steering input so just assumed it to be a normal warning/indicator. The test drive was hardly an hour so cannot be sure.
EV Fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 14:23   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architkarpe View Post
I recently purchased a Mg Zs EV exclusive variant.
I am posting in this thread because i did not find a thread dedicated to MG ZS owners or a review.
I have observed that i am getting three beeps (tiding sound) randomly sometimes at 60kmph. This is a very different beep from the 80km speed warning. I asked the sales rep about it he said that it happens in the test drive vehicle also ( have personally driven the test drive veh and confirmed)
Is there any setting that i am missing ? Is it any setting regarding navigation?
Help from existing owners regarding the settings would be a great help.
There is no physical user manual for the music system and vehicle / navigation settings so a bit confused.

Hi.
This is simple. The three bing sounds you get are from the TomTom navigation. These are speed limit warnings which will bing every time you exceed the speed limit of that road.

Go to settings of the Tom Tom Navigations and turn off speed limit warnings.

The sales guys have absolutely no idea about the car.
When I called them abt it, they said it maybe because of pedestrians crossing the road.
docelectric2020 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 17:28   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV Fan View Post
Thank you very much fellow members.
I already have my fingers crossed. Will definitely drill down on the hill descent control but hope both Exclusive & Excite regen with cruise control.

The MG Executive did add one important point " The regen does not start working till Battery percentage is less than 97%" and confirmed that regen will work in both the models.

Did the test drive of Kona, and keep a strict eye on this. The Kona does regen on cruise control, not a very info dense or graphic rich MID like the MG ZS. But keeps it simple with the information (all the data under wraps).
It does regen while using cruise control on downhill slopes as the car wants to go faster but cruise holds it back. So the power needle goes below 0. On flat terrain, it will not do regen as there is no need for the car to deaccelerate...
Abhijoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 21:34   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhijoy View Post
It does regen while using cruise control on downhill slopes
Thanks for checking. Is this the "Excite" or "Exclusive" variant that you have?
Old 10th September 2021, 16:57   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much fellow members.
I already have my fingers crossed. Will definitely drill down on the hill descent control but hope both Exclusive & Excite regen with cruise control.

The MG Executive did add one important point " The regen does not start working till Battery percentage is less than 97%" and confirmed that regen will work in both the models.

Did the test drive of Kona, and keep a strict eye on this. The Kona does regen on cruise control, not a very info dense or graphic rich MID like the MG ZS. But keeps it simple with the information (all the data under wraps).
I did a trip to the airport today and tried cruise control. It definitely does not regen on cruise control. It regens while adjusting the cruise speed manually but at a set speed going downhill, there is no regen.

Also, I have figured that the sweet spot for the ZS EV is 80km/h. With the AC on, you will get about 7.5 km/kWh at 80km/h.

Going to the airport I got 8.3 km/kWh. Airport is at a lower elevation than the city. The whole trip clocked in at 7.6 km/kWh

3 Nights & 2 days with the MG ZS EV - Extended Test Drive & Review-img_3844.jpg

3 Nights & 2 days with the MG ZS EV - Extended Test Drive & Review-img_3845.jpg

Last edited by lina : 10th September 2021 at 16:58. Reason: formatting
lina is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 10:59   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
I did a trip to the airport today and tried cruise control. It definitely does not regen on cruise control. It regens while adjusting the cruise speed manually but at a set speed going downhill, there is no regen.
That is a crucial miss.
Excite variant was a sweeter deal than both Exclusive or the Kona

Was there a Hill Decent Control option that could be switched On or Off? Or its just inbuilt/standard in the system?

Quote:
Also, I have figured that the sweet spot for the ZS EV is 80km/h. With the AC on, you will get about 7.5 km/kWh at 80km/h.

Going to the airport I got 8.3 km/kWh. Airport is at a lower elevation than the city. The whole trip clocked in at 7.6 km/kWh
That is a great reference. Can gauge my own driving skills around these figures (if i can finalize on some option , waited so long for my first car to be electric and just dont want to trade off).
Old 11th September 2021, 13:44   #112

Quote:

Attachment 2205300

Attachment 2205299
It will not regen on flat terrain. On downhill, if you set the speed at say 50 and the car by natural force of gravity can touch 60 or higher, it will definitely regen. I have experienced it myself after initially not having this knowledge. Someone told me it does and it did.

Quote:
That is a crucial miss.

Was there a Hill Decent Control option that could be switched On or Off? Or its just inbuilt/standard in the system?

That is a great reference. Can gauge my own driving skills around these figures (if i can finalize on some option , waited so long for my first car to be electric and just dont want to trade off).
You can switch it on/off via the infotainment system.

Last edited by Eddy : 11th September 2021 at 16:24. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
Abhijoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 08:07   #113
BHPian

Quote:
That is a crucial miss.

Hill Descent was off. It is off by default and I am not sure what it does so I didnt want to try it out on the way to the airport.

The efficiency quoted here cant be achieved in regular bumper to bumper city traffic. In the city, it is about 6 to 6.5. It is also very temperature sensitive. I have seen that it is a lot more efficient at 3PM than 7AM. I live in Bangalore, temperature changes from 20C to 28C between 7AM and 3PM this time of year.
lina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 08:10   #114
BHPian

Quote:
It will not regen on flat terrain. On downhill, if you set the speed at say 50 and the car by natural force of gravity can touch 60 or higher, it will definitely regen. I have experienced it myself after initially not having this knowledge. Someone told me it does and it did.

You can switch it on/off via the infotainment system.
I will check again. I was looking at the motor current/voltage screen. And it was always showing 0 or 1A while going down on the multiple flyovers between BLR airport and the city (without cruise, it will show negative while going downhill). I will try this again today as I need to go to the airport.

Multiple blogs from Thailand as well as Europe say that it does not regen on cruise. I dont see it being different here.

Last edited by lina : 12th September 2021 at 08:13.
Old 12th September 2021, 08:54   #115
BHPian

Quote:
I will check again. I was looking at the motor current/voltage screen. And it was always showing 0 or 1A while going down on the multiple flyovers between BLR airport and the city (without cruise, it will show negative while going downhill). I will try this again today as I need to go to the airport.
I had also done the same, kept an eye on both current-voltage screen and the regen/throttle indicator. The cruise speed was 60 so almost every flyover exit ended up in regen. The "Exclusive" did regen in both cruise & non cruise scenarios, the regen was visible on both the MID's.
I had even switched off AC and radio during regen to see if it made any substantial difference, but observed nothing noticeable.
One important thing was most of this testing was in ECO mode, not in SPORT or DRIVE mode.

Quote:
Multiple blogs from Thailand as well as Europe say that it does not regen on cruise. I dont see it being different here.
Yup, have been reading those, but interestingly saw some conflicting info there as well. A few posts among them also said, that it did regen. But again no info on which "Variant". Most of the countries now have Excite and Exclusive as the 2 variants but some have it named as "Comfort" & "Luxury".
On a side note, got quite a varied info from their executives on source, while some executives said it's a Netherland unit assembled here others said it's Thailand unit.

Last edited by EV Fan : 12th September 2021 at 09:17. Reason: Added Variant info
Old 13th September 2021, 00:56   #116

Quote:

If am not wrong, the UK and Thai versions have Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) in which regen does not kick in. Ours is plain vanilla CC and regen does work across all 3 modes
Old 13th September 2021, 10:12   #117
BHPian

Quote:
If am not wrong, the UK and Thai versions have Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) in which regen does not kick in. Ours is plain vanilla CC and regen does work across all 3 modes
Quote:
You are right, I tested this out yesterday during my airport and the car definitely regens. I think I was expecting a lot more regen but the fact is that 70kmph on a mild downhill like a flyover, there wont be much. Anyway I have confirmed this to EVFan also.
Old 19th September 2021, 09:44   #118
BHPian

Quote:
You are right, I tested this out yesterday during my airport and the car definitely regens.
Thank You very much for testing it out.

Really dont like the Panaromic Sunroof on Exclusive variant, hated it ever since i saw it in movie - Jurassic Park 1. Imagine a 8 year old me staring in horror as the T-Rex came down through the sunroof of the car to attack those poor kids. Fortunately in India it would be just an odd branch or coconut but equally mortifying.

Thanks to the Team-BHP community, could reach out to a wider audience and try to confirm/figure out something which would not have been easily possible through the manufacturer
Old 25th September 2021, 17:19   #119
Senior - BHPian

Does the 8-year warranty on the battery in ZS EV cover the HV battery alone or other HV system components as well?

Is there extended warranty available beyond the 5-year standard warranty?
Old 26th September 2021, 11:12   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Does the 8-year warranty on the battery in ZS EV cover the HV battery alone or other HV system components as well?
As per the executive the warranty was for the battery pack which includes the cells, modules and the BMS.
The rest of the HV system outside this pack including motors were not covered under that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Is there extended warranty available beyond the 5-year standard warranty?
Not as of now. Unsure if they would introduce anything later.
EV Fan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed