MG ZS EV 100 24.57%
Mercedes-Benz EQC 7 1.72%
Jaguar I-Pace 16 3.93%
Audi e-tron 20 4.91%
Voters: 407. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2021, 13:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

If you had to buy an Electric Car in India today, which would you choose & why?

EVs are coming guys and there are no two sides to that fact. Of course, mass EV adoption in India is still a decade or 2 away, yet we fully expect a vastly greater number of models to be available over the next 5 years (including from Maruti).

Having said that, for a fresh technology, there are already a number of electric cars on sale in India today. If you had to absolutely put your money down on an EV in India this week, which would it be and why?

Tata Tigor EV

If you had to buy an Electric Car in India today, which would you choose & why?-tatatigorev.jpg

The Tigor EV is the first all-electric offering from Tata Motors in the Indian market. The Tigor EV is based on the brand's compact-sedan offering and was initially launched in 2019, available exclusively for commercial buyers.

More recently, Tata updated the Tigor EV with an extended range, while also announcing its availability to private / individual buyers. The car is powered by a 21.5 kWh battery pack paired with an electric motor producing 40.23 BHP and 105 Nm. The Tigor EV has a claimed range of 213 km on a single charge (real-world range is usually 50 - 70% of ARAI claims, depending on the model). The boring performance & range of this car are nothing to write home about.

Price Range: Rs 9.58 - Rs 9.90 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi)

Mahindra e-Verito

If you had to buy an Electric Car in India today, which would you choose & why?-mahindraeverito.jpeg

The Mahindra e-Verito is offered in three variants - D2, D4 and D6. The electric sedan has an electric powertrain producing 41 BHP and 91 Nm. The 200Ah lithium-ion battery on the eVerito claims to offer a maximum range of 110 km on a single charge, making it best suited for urban commutes only. It's a terribly old design that is also slow & overpriced. Truth is, such models give EVs a bad name. Mahindra could've had the first-mover advantage in the EV space (thanks to their Reva acquisition), but this is what they have to show for it? Quite sad.

Price Range: Rs 10.11 - Rs 10.47 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi)

Tata Nexon EV

If you had to buy an Electric Car in India today, which would you choose & why?-tatanexonev.jpg

The Tata Nexon EV is the dominating EV in the Indian market, combining performance, practicality, features and affordability. But it does have the usual Tata niggles too and being Tata's first attempt, the powertrain tuning is imperfect.

The Nexon EV is powered by a 30.2 kWh lithium-ion battery pack. This electric powertrain produces 129 BHP and 245 Nm and claims a maximum range of 312 km on a single charge.

Price Range: Rs 14 - Rs 16.56 lakh (ex-showroom, India)
Link to Review (Review: The Tata Nexon EV)

Hyundai Kona Electric SUV

If you had to buy an Electric Car in India today, which would you choose & why?-hyundaikonaev.jpg

The Hyundai Kona Electric was launched in India back in '19. The Kona Electric is the first pure-electric offering from the Korean brand and came with a bunch of features, while also offering good performance and range. However, over the years, the Kona Electric SUV has failed to make a dent in the Indian EV segment because of its price & stiff ride (bone-jarring on bad roads). Hyundai has introduced a facelift of the Kona Electric in the international markets, but there is still no word on whether it will make it to Indian shores. The Kona also went through a hell of a recall (Hyundai to recall Kona EV over faulty battery cells which can cause fire) which blew its reputation.

The Electric Kona is powered by a 39.2 kWh lithium-ion battery pack, paired with an electric motor producing 136 BHP and 395 Nm. The electric SUV claims 452 km of range on a single charge.

Price Range: Rs 23.77 - Rs 23.96 lakh (ex-showroom, India)
Link to Review

MG ZS EV

If you had to buy an Electric Car in India today, which would you choose & why?-mgzsev.jpg

If you want to understand how & why China is betting the house on EVs, test-drive the ZS EV. Its design feels old, yet the car feels the most sorted of all EVs under 30 lakhs. A direct rival to the Hyundai Kona, the MG ZS EV was launched in 2020. The electric powertrain is said to produce 140 BHP and 353 Nm, while the 44.5 kWh lithium-ion battery pack claims to offer a maximum range of 419 km on a single charge. Similar to most of its rivals, the MG ZS EV comes with both standard and fast-charging options.

Price Range: Rs 21 - Rs 24.18 lakh (ex-showroom, India)
Link to Review (3 Nights & 2 days with the MG ZS EV - Extended Test Drive & Review)

Mercedes-Benz EQC

If you had to buy an Electric Car in India today, which would you choose & why?-mercedeseqc.jpg

Moving to the more premium offerings, Mercedes-Benz introduced its EQC electric SUV in the Indian market last year. The EQC is based on the brand's GLC model and carries forward a similar design, along with similar features and equipment as well.

The EQC has a large battery capacity of 80 kWh. Its electric powertrain produces 408 BHP and 700 Nm and is said to offer a range of 317 - 414 km on a single charge. The Benz also has a DC fast-charging option, capable of taking the battery from 10 - 80% in just 40 minutes.

Price: Rs 1.04 crore (ex-showroom, India)
Link to Review (Review: Mercedes EQC Electric SUV)

Jaguar I-Pace

If you had to buy an Electric Car in India today, which would you choose & why?-jaguaripace1.jpg

Rivalling the EQC in the Indian market is the Jaguar I-Pace. The gorgeous electric SUV from the British brand comes in three variants (S, SE & HSE), offering a host of features and equipment. The Jaguar I-Pace is equipped with a larger 90 kWh battery pack compared to its rivals. The electric powertrain produces 400 BHP and 696 Nm and claims a max range of 470 km.

Price Range: Rs 1.06 - Rs 1.12 crore (ex-showroom, India)

Audi e-tron SUV & e-tron Sportback

If you had to buy an Electric Car in India today, which would you choose & why?-audietron1.jpg

Audi has started accepting bookings for the e-tron SUV and e-tron Sportback models in the Indian market. The two fully electric offerings from the German brand will take on the Jaguar I-Pace and Mercedes-Benz EQC.

Similar to its rivals, the Audi e-tron & Sportback come powered by a 95 kWh battery pack, paired with two electric motors. The powertrain offers 355 BHP and 561 Nm, which is further boosted to 402 BHP and 664 Nm for 8 seconds, in 'S' mode. The two electric models offer a range of 359 - 484 km on a single charge. Prices for the Audi e-tron SUV & Sportback are expected to be announced later this month. GTO drove the e-tron in the US and you can read some of his impressions here (Electric Cars...through the eyes of a diehard petrol-head).

Last edited by Aditya : 5th July 2021 at 13:04.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 19:07   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: If you had to buy an Electric Car in India today, which would you choose & why?

No way I'm spending a crore on 1st-gen products from Mercedes, Jaguar & Audi when Tesla's India launch is just around the corner. Drive the fast dual-motor Teslas guys, and you'll be an instant convert. Trust me. Tesla is 5 - 10 years ahead of the Germans in drivetrain tech, power & driving feel (although everyone else is fast catching up - case in point, Taycan).

From the current mainstream options, MG ZS EV for me. MG now has some experience in EVs and that shows in the ZS EV. It feels very much like a normal car and - unlike the bumpy Kona - it has compliant ride quality too. The car is superb to live with. Sharing my post from another thread (3 Nights & 2 days with the MG ZS EV - Extended Test Drive & Review):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I spent a weekend with the MG ZS EV.

- Very nice, city-friendly package. Once electric cars solve the price + range problems (give them 5 years), people will really take to them.

- The fact that MG is offering an EV on sale in India and Maruti / Toyota / Honda aren't even close to it, tells you how far ahead the Chinese are in this future technology.

- Importantly, the ZS EV feels "sorted". I enjoyed my drive in the Hector and I enjoyed my drive in this ZS EV. Tells you of what a long way MG Motors has come. Trust me, they're learning fast.

- The car looks 3 - 5 years old already. Shows its age on the outside & inside.

- Love how a fuel gauge has been given which displays the current battery level, just like the fuel gauge in a normal car.

- The sound system is average, and can't handle bass-heavy songs well. The cheaper MG Hector's ICE is like twice as good!

- Lovely sounding horn. Awesome steering wheel also.

- The acceleration is super impressive! Everyone who drove the ZS EV walked away grinning. Cars like this give EVs a good name, not the lame stuff Mahindra was dishing out.

- With electric cars, I absolutely love the regenerative braking! Even in ICE cars, I'm a big engine-braking guy.

- The biggest reason to buy the MG over the Kona is the fact that its ride quality is compliant. The Kona's ride quality is a backbreaker. The MG is compliant for the most part, getting bumpy only on the bigger potholes. There is excessive side-to-side swaying on bad roads too. But it is comfortable 90% of the time, which is something the Kona isn't able to deliver.

- The current range is more than enough for city driving and going to nearby destinations such as Lonavla, Pune or Nashik. Don't worry about range - the way that battery technology is progressing, in 5 years or less, 500 km EVs will be commonplace.

- I think with 500 km EVs, range anxiety will be a thing of the past. Equally, I will add that because EV owners are obsessed with range and keep a close eye on it, the % of petrol cars that are stranded due to an empty tank will be a lot higher than EVs being stranded due to a flat battery.

- And it's not just range. In 10 years or less, we will also have fast charging options on the main highways, where you could get like a 50 - 80% top up in an hour. The same time that you take to eat your breakfast at the McDonalds.

- Driving a car with a green number plate is definitely a status symbol. It's got a super cool factor to it.
If you had to buy an Electric Car in India today, which would you choose & why?-20201107-12.05.01.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 5th July 2021 at 19:14.
GTO is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 19:28   #3
BHPian

Re: If you had to buy an Electric Car in India today, which would you choose & why?

Would prefer buying a Nexon EV if my daily running was more than 100kms. The reason for choosing Nexon EV is purely because of its price tag and the value quotient which this car offers at 16 lac on road Karnataka for the XZ variant.
Sahilrai166 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 19:32   #4
BHPian

I currently live in a place which is almost a village in Konkan, and here I have seen TWO Tata Nexon EVs! I have also seen plenty of electric scooters where people use to ride bicycles 5-6 years back.

Those Nexon EVs boosted up my confidence and I can put my money on it (if I had the surplus). Seeing is believing - I know using is believing more but yeah. Nexon EV FTW!
RavSam is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 02:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Nexon EV from the options listed. I see at least one or two Nexon EVs daily nowadays and that kind of gives confidence in the brand. Also the price for the same seems reasonable. With the kind of sales and feedback from the good number of cars sold initially, they (Tata) should be having good amount of studies regarding EV use in Indian conditions. Hope they use it to enhance the existing products.

In the opening post an EV Nexon is shown with white plates. Shouldn't it be green ?
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 09:13   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for Nexon EV

Price- To be frank, it is priced atleast 5 lakhs more than am willing to pay. But it is a fact that modern BEVs cant be priced below 12 lakhs as of now. That said, the 15-17 lakhs price tag is decent enough in the face of lack of competition, and is the maximum money am ready to bet on a new technology. (Not really an early adopter). Only overpriced BEV am ready to buy eyes closed is the Honda E

Anonymous- Doesn't stand out or scream its credentials. Pretty subjective matter, but I like the fact that except for the green plates and the blue design highlights, the Nexon EV blends in with normal traffic.

Performance- Ofcourse, it doesn't hace any ludicrous mode, but it has decent performance and range unlike the other two cheaper BEVs.

That said, my choice would have been different if a WagonR EV was available at sub 10 lakhs. Or if Maruti does a budget Honda E, by using the next gen Alto platform with a half decent powertrain, retro styled like an 800 and prices it sub 8 lakhs.
DicKy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 09:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

The choice is pretty clear.

The Kona was mired in controversies due to fire etc. and was axed by the manufacturer.

The Germans (EQ, E-Tron) are obscenely expensive.

The verito and tigor EV have very poor range, and they feel, they are from a past generation.

That leaves us with the Nexon EV & MG ZS.

Personally, I have a distaste for Chinese vehicles.
Also, given the fact that the ZS never really sold well, I would select the Nexon EV, because of it's popularity, affordability, and rugged demeanor.
abhishek46 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 09:56   #8
Team-BHP Support

Voted for the Tata Nexon

For me, the Mercedes, Jaguar and Audi are too expensive to even think of and the Verito is from the stone age. The Tigor's looks are not appealing and its performance is ordinary. The only car that I can actually consider is the Nexon. It looks good, has adequate performance and is reasonably priced and practical. There will be niggles, as is in the case of all Tata cars, but even then, it's the only one in the list that fits the bill. No wonder it's the best-selling EV in the country,

If I had the budget though, I would pick the MG ZS EV. It looks and feels much more modern than the Nexon and performs well too. The Hyundai Kona has a poor reputation.
Aditya is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 10:20   #9
BHPian

Since I am a newbie, I couldn't vote.
However, I would choose the MG ZS EV.

Reasons? -
- Looks just like a regular car with an IC engine.
- The MG is a looker, especially in red.
- Has a much better range than similarly priced EVs.
- Loaded to the brim with features.
- Quality levels are wayy above than even the MG Hector.
- Wouldn't want to spend over 1 crore on an EV right now, so no Merc, Audi and Jaguar.

After the MG, my second choice would be the Nexon EV. It gets the job done and is reasonably priced

Thanks,
Warm Regards
-Namit S.
PetrolHead2272 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 10:38   #10
BHPian

Voted for eVerito. I would buy it used.

Further if it has to be a 1 car garage, I would choose none of the above available. I will patiently wait for Teslas or Hyundai's 2nd gen EV models (if at all they are launching in India).The rest of the EVs in the list are all 1st gen to their resp. OEMs. I am not going to put my money on OEM's trials yet.

A 3-4L INR for a 4 seater EV with Airco, luggage space, type 2 connector (2.2kW AC onboard charger I think) makes it's value proposition all the better as a beater for city runabouts less than 100km. Can't beat the VFM & TCO aspect of such a simple and humble car with EV powetrain. Never been a fan of Tata's sedan designs and the seating positions of these Indica based cars feel like one is sitting on the car rather than in the car. I would pick a 90s boxy looking thing instead of a Tigor EV. Verito (Mahindra/Renault/Dacia Logan) is just a utilitarian design and made from ground up built as a budget car for the masses. Thinking of possibilites : I can haul whatever I want, let family(old to young), friends, neighbours borrow the car to experience electric cars, can serve as a hobby car, never break a sweat when it gets scratched, dinged or whatever, replacement parts are not going to be a lot of trouble, as most common ones are shared with ICE models.

With modern EVs going gung-ho on technology and connectivity, the eVerito has neither. Having a Tesla model 3 myself here in NL, I would just be happy to keep eVerito as my city beater car back in India. A to B can be done so comfortably, silently and in an inexpensive way.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 6th July 2021 at 10:49.
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 10:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Did not vote as there is no 'None of the above option'. All the current EVs are priced on the higher side. I think this poll would be more relevant maybe 5 to 10 years from now. EVs are not in the mass production stage. Range is a huge problem, not to mention the overall charging time. I would stay away from EVs for at least 15 years. My next car would sure be ICE.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 11:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

None of the above listed. If it is a car then Tesla only. Even if it take little longer. Before that I will buy an Electric Scooter. Closely watching OLA's development.
Old 6th July 2021, 11:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

Ignoring Tesla since it isn't available yet and nor a part of this poll, the only one car in that list that is built from the ground up as an EV is the i-pace. Rest are just an electric motor shoehorned into a conventional design causing a load of compromises..

So if we are limited to the list, my choice is easily the i-pace. However pricing is off the charts for that one.
Old 6th July 2021, 12:10   #14
BHPian

I voted for the Nexon EV. I was going to purchase it when covid shifted me to work from home. The price point and the features in the Nexon EV are wonderful. It is a modern high voltage drive train. Tata is investing in support infrastructure and all components are moving to local manufacture by different Tata group of companies.

The Hyundai or the MG are good choices and more mature, but I wish fast charging infrastructure catches up so that inter city is more hassle free.
ohaak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 13:48   #15
BHPian

Indian market needs EVs with a range similar to Hyundai Kona or MG ZS at the price of Nexon EV.

While the Nexon EV is only slightly costlier than its petrol/diesel counterparts, its range (~200km) is low for the majority of the customers. It will work fine for city driving but with the very limited charging infrastructure it does not serve the purpose for most. Even with such limitations, Tata is probably selling every Nexon EV they can make. I bet they did not expect such a demand before the release.

I am personally, waiting for a 300+ km range EV for ~15 lakhs. Hopefully, it happens in the next 2-3 years.
sri_tesla is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks