Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2022, 14:59   #46
BHPian

Re: Toyota working against shift to EVs; wants hydrogen-fuelled vehicles to play bigger role

I have noticed hydrogen fuel celled vehicles are more focused on heavy equipment like trucks, passenger buses and light commercial or training planes. Since they benefit the most from avoiding the weight of the massive battery that needs to be hauled around especially trucks which are under weight regulations.

The Mirai and such are made only for press and eyeballs. As a truck would not get the average Joe excited over its future prospects.

There is simply not enough minerals for everyone to get their own personal lithium ion based EV. Or atleast at the cost we assume we would like one for.

Also I am of the opinion that ICE is suitable for personal mobility and the future is more towards mobility as a service. I see less of a transition from ICE to EVs than from completely forgoing the personal vehicle in favor of mobility as a service like an automated driver less car service which is what Uber has been aiming for for the past decade or so.
Sarath_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 17:49   #47
BHPian

Re: Toyota working against shift to EVs; wants hydrogen-fuelled vehicles to play bigger role

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarath_ View Post
1. Since they benefit the most from avoiding the weight of the massive battery that needs to be hauled around especially trucks which are under weight regulations.

2.There is simply not enough minerals for everyone to get their own personal lithium ion based EV. Or atleast at the cost we assume we would like one for.

3.I see less of a transition from ICE to EVs than from completely forgoing the personal vehicle in favor of mobility as a service like an automated driver less car service which is what Uber has been aiming for for the past decade or so.
Thanks for bringing diversity to the discussion with some very interesting points.

Regarding point#1, I believe micro gas turbine based range extenders that can run off LNG are a much more near term option. A lot of the high temperature high speed rotating machinery technology can be reused from the well established metallurgy and mechanical design used in turbochargers. LNG distribution networks and storage tanks in trucks are already there and proven. Hence a plug in hybrid truck that uses LNG may be the more viable short term solution till battery technology catches up towards long haul trucking needs.

Regarding point#2, I have a different take on this. Especially in the recent decades, humanity has again and again proven that given enough collective will, we can overcome any technology challenges. Semiconductors being an excellent case in point. There is collective agreement on going green now. Billions are being poured in to battery technology and we will crack it one way or another. Solid state batteries or asteroid mining, I have zero doubt that humanity will solve the battery problem.
3. I personally agree with your preference for public transportation and moving away from personal vehicle ownership. It may be the only viable option for populous nations like ours. There’s no way road infrastructure will stay abreast of increasing private car ownership.
Old 2nd December 2022, 18:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

A hydrogen-powered Toyota Hilux prototype will be built in Derbyshire as part of a £70 million government drive to find alternative zero-emission vehicles for isolated parts of the UK.

Toyota working against shift to EVs; wants hydrogen-fuelled vehicles to play bigger role-smartselect_20221202184525_chrome.jpg

The fuel cell version of the popular pick-up – which is normally fitted with a a 2.4-litre diesel engine – will be created as a prototype using components from Toyota’s second-generation fuel cell system, as featured in the latest Toyota Mirai saloon.

Quote:
If successful, it is hoped the Hilux can be used for commercial operations in remote areas where electric vehicle charging is impractical.

Initial prototypes will be built at Toyota's vehicle plant in Burnaston during 2023 – which also produces the Toyota Corolla – with testing to follow soon after. A small series production will follow.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 2nd December 2022 at 18:47.
Old 2nd December 2022, 19:22   #49
BHPian

I think it is great to have clean alternative fuel systems available. It doesn't make sense to put all eggs in the EV basket. Hydrogen, flex fuel, etc. are all solutions that will help us get off the fossil fuel lock-in. Listen to Nitin Gadkari in this video taken during launch of Toyota's flex fuel engines. You need to start watching from the 52nd minute. I am not able to get the time parameter working properly.

See the problems with all bets in same EV wagon. https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-N...Blackouts.html

The problem with our country's infrastructure playing catch-up. https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...source=twitter

Last edited by ohaak : 2nd December 2022 at 19:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks