Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2023, 13:33   #31
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: Your wishlist as an Electric Car owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidoxic View Post
Charger Infrastructure related
All are absolutely spot on, especially point no 2. When it comes to cost people will figure out whether the extra cost of a faster charger is worth it or not.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th October 2023 at 13:14. Reason: Quoted post trimmed
Old 29th October 2023, 14:39   #32
BHPian

Also most of the highway stations have DC or Chademo type chargers which is rarely used.
Companies should change this to CCS2 chargers.
Old 29th October 2023, 23:37   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidoxic View Post

Car Related

1) highway mode for nil regen/neutral like coasting on leaving the A pedal, but still regen during breaking.
Most recent cars have a regen 0 mode and the brake works with regen.

Quote:

2) better prediction of realtime distance to empty with the displaying showing you will arrive at X% or with X KMs left. Include info from past trips or others using the same route - so traffic, incline etc is accounted for.
The incline part is easy to deal with

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...ml#post5528664 (Range Anxiety versus Highway Anxiety with electric cars)

Note that due to the magic of regen, you do not need to know the entire terrain but only the starting and ending elevation. Actually there is a correction factor in this but I do not think it is relevant for the estimates by which you want to plan the trip (should always account for an additional margin.I think it can be incorporated. However, traffic, temperature (AC loss) etc are a bit more difficult to handle.

In general after a bit of use, most of the time one has a pretty good idea of it (I can now just look at the distance and predict the SOC at the end of the travel). What I would like is more detailed info, exact energy consumed/charged into battery, drive train vs auxiliary needs. That is what would be very helpful info.
Old 30th October 2023, 07:20   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
What I would like is more detailed info, exact energy consumed/charged into battery, drive train vs auxiliary needs. That is what would be very helpful info.
This is available in EV6. In fact most of the wishlist items across this thread from a vehicle perspective is already present in EV6. Attaching a screenshot from my drive yesterday.

Infrastructure wise, I would like to see more fast charging stations (150KWhr and above). There is none today, max i have seen is 120KWhr in Shell recharge.
Attached Thumbnails
Your wishlist as an Electric Car owner-img_2364.png  

Last edited by v6kgang : 30th October 2023 at 07:23. Reason: More info
v6kgang is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 07:25   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
Most recent cars have a regen 0 mode and the brake works with regen.

At least in the ioniq, if you select 0 regen then only friction brakes are applied. There is no regen braking at all.
nidhikapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 08:27   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
At least in the ioniq, if you select 0 regen then only friction brakes are applied. There is no regen braking at all.
That is surprising. Even the humble Nexon has regen on braking when in zero regen mode. Actually I do not see why an EV, that too a premium one like Ioniq, should not have this.
Old 30th October 2023, 10:39   #37
BHPian

I briefly considered going for MG Comet for city use but dropped my plans when I learned that it doesn't have creep function on releasing brake pedal. That feature is a boon in city traffic as we don't need to shift leg between pedals at stop and go speed. Might seem a silly reason but the whole point of an electric car for city usage is conveniences like these.
nvssudheer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 15:05   #38
BHPian

I have been driving the ZS EV for the last 1 year and it has truly been a wonderful experience. I drive a lot more now with an EV and 80%+ of my rides have been on highways. Unexpected surprise has been meeting a bunch of EV owners who have always surprised me with the abundance of knowledge that they possess.

I am truly astounded by how much risk appetite CPOs have to invest in EV charging as a business when it continues to be a deeply unprofitable business. The space is only heating up with the likes of Jio BP starting to build massive charging hubs that can accommodate 100+ cars at a time. While others may be unhappy about having multiple apps, wallets, etc, I feel they are very minor irritants given the risks that these CPOs are taking to make our long drives possible.

My wishlist:

1. Long-range EVs with LFP batteries. Today all the longer-range cars like the Ioniq 5 are on NMC which tend to degrade over time. After driving the ZS EV and seeing cars with 0 degradation after 30k KMs, I would hate to give up this tech in my next purchase.

2. Reliable power on highways. While CPOs continue to invest tons of money into this space, we are bottlenecked by the lack of reliable power on our highways. Day-long power shutdowns are not uncommon even in industrial states like TN and they tend to coincide with weekends when most EV owners undertake long drives. Thankfully in most routes, we have more than enough backup options but as the number of EVs shoots up, this is going to end up hurting a bunch of EV owners is my hunch.

3. Outside of safety, I sincerely wish that no govt regulation ends up being imposed on the EV charging business. One bureaucratic dictat around price etc is enough to set us back many years in this transition. Till now govt policy around EVs has been favorable and I wish for that to continue.
shyampsunder is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 16:47   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyampsunder View Post
1. Long-range EVs with LFP batteries. Today all the longer-range cars like the Ioniq 5 are on NMC which tend to degrade over time. After driving the ZS EV and seeing cars with 0 degradation after 30k KMs, I would hate to give up this tech in my next purchase.
The advantage about LFPs are more about the absence of Cobalt, which is expensive and is mined under dubious conditions. NMC batteries have proven themselves with regard to capacity loss. It's far less than was originally thought.
Old 30th October 2023, 18:17   #40
BHPian

Before starting my Wishlist for an EV, these are my opinions about some concerning matters.
1. India should cope with the massive electricity demand due to the EV purchases at each home in the future. Else each and every EV will be a burden on our country.
2. India still produces 75% of its electricity through coal, so it is impossible for a 100% EV transition. Hence the Government should look for a parallel solution, one such is the Hybrid.
3. Clean and proper process for battery recycling.
4. If India does not manufacture batteries, then we will still be fully dependent on China and other countries. We are already slaves to other countries for our oil purchases, I don't want my India to be a slave again for purchasing battery as well.
5. I know that EV is not our future and is just a temporary fix for the pollution issue until we find a more compatible solution. I am looking forward for the Hydrogen engine transition.

My one and only Wishlist for an EV is that it should have Battery Swap Technology Subscription model where I can quickly swap for a charged battery under 5minutes and gain another 200 to 300km of range.

Last edited by DustyWanderer : 30th October 2023 at 18:21. Reason: To improve my answer
DustyWanderer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 20:50   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mally2 View Post
I want this innovation

1. We should be able to plug the charger to the car,
2. The charger should be able to identify the vehicle details and start charging immediately,
3. When we stop or end the charging session on the charger. The display should generate a QR to make the payment, once payment is done the gun unlocks !!!!!!!!
I was pleasantly surprised recently when this exact thing happened with Zeon. We were in an MG, and it worked, however a 2022 Nexon prime still needed the app. Perhaps it's both the chargers and the data that the car shares?
Old 30th October 2023, 22:32   #42

Having used EV 4Wsfor now the last 2.5-3 years and experiencing both a Mahindra (eVerito) and a using a Tata now (Tigor EV) here is my wishlist-

1. An unified app for all chargers- this is an absolute necessity. Yes there is Plugshare, however one cannot know if the charger is functional on that app. One has to ultimately download the specific charger provider's app, add money (some of which is kept as a security deposit in some apps) and also check on that same app if the specific charger is functional.

2. The OEMs need to create some form of training procedure to ensure that the folks who are at their service centers are trained in servicing EVs. This is especially true for Tata as they are currently the highest sellers of EVs.

3. The Govt. needs to partner with private players to ensure that there are EVs chargers on the highways which are regularly being opened up so that the shift which the Govt is trying for can happen. The biggest barrier to shifting to EVs is still range anxiety and that can only be addressed with more chargers just like we have petrol pumps which are there every 10kms.

4. An unified manner to check battery health at regular intervals. Similar to the way iPhones are able to state their battery levels. I have also seen such tests at ICE car service centers for the aux batteries. This is absolutely required for a fledgling 2nd hand ev market.

5. This is more of a wishful thinking really, but if it would be possible to keep updating the software for a long time. With Pixel and Google announcing 7 years of software updates for a phone which is hardly used for 2years, it's only fair that OEMs atleast give 5-7 years of software updates for cars which are used for 10-15 years.
Ray379 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 08:29   #43
BHPian

We need a roof mounted Solar Panel for Electric cars. Even though the current Solar Panels have an efficiency of 15 to 20%, they would just work fine. Instead of me pushing an EV in the middle of nowhere for kilometers when the juice runs out, I rather sit inside the car and wait for a couple of hours for it to charge to maybe 10 or 15 % and drive off to a nearby charging station or civilization (thinking of Thar Electric here).
DustyWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 09:59   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyWanderer View Post
We need a roof mounted Solar Panel for Electric cars. Even though the current Solar Panels have an efficiency of 15 to 20%, they would just work fine. Instead of me pushing an EV in the middle of nowhere for kilometers when the juice runs out, I rather sit inside the car and wait for a couple of hours for it to charge to maybe 10 or 15 % and drive off to a nearby charging station or civilization (thinking of Thar Electric here).
Most problems that people are concerned about essentially boil down to charging infrastructure as I see it.

Whether it is being frustrated by inconsiderate use of fast charger (if there are enough charging spots why would anyone bother if some folks want to waste time charging till 100%) or range issues (if there are frequent charging stations then you need a much smaller real world range (about 300 odd which current crop of mid spec EVs can easily do). Also if the fast charging network is wide spread then people will be more comfortable doing a charge till 85%.

While the discussion is mostly on fast charging, I think it is the slow charging that is the real deal. Firstly the slow charging setup is easy for offices, hotels and lodges and Malls. It is a good source of additional income for them as well and a guest magnet. They also do not have to setup some kind of software payment system. Most of them have a reception that is open 24x7 and they can double up as the payment collector (can bill it as part of the room rent)

Regarding slow charging as far as I see it there are the following problems

1. Problems with setting up 16 Amp plug at appartments

2. With the current BMS people are scared to do slow charging in the always plugged in mode. This has to change from the design perspective of the EV platform

3. Point 2 means people are afraid that they will not have enough charge in an emergency.

So in a nut shell solve the charging issues will solve most of the problems.
electric_eel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 09:59   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyWanderer View Post
We need a roof mounted Solar Panel for Electric cars.
Definitely needed. Even if it doesn't charge and just powers the electronics & AC/blower, i am more than happy.
Prius had a small panel which operated the blower when it was parked in the sun. Still can't figure why it never went mainstream...
EV Fan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks