Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Why wouldn't you consider buying an EV today? (Multiple choice)
High initial purchase cost 216 34.18%
They're fast developing; I prefer to wait for the next generation of EVs 256 40.51%
Battery range isn't enough for my kind of highway running 283 44.78%
Inadequate and unreliable public charging facilities 322 50.95%
I need more model options 75 11.87%
Uncertainty of battery life, reliability and repair costs in the long term 274 43.35%
Long charging times compared to IC engine cars 244 38.61%
I cannot install a charger at home in my residential parking 122 19.30%
I just prefer petrol / diesel engines 97 15.35%
Other (please specify in your post) 37 5.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 632. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2024, 13:26   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2024 Edition | What are the reasons you won't buy an EV today?

Voted for quite a few of the options.
Some are specific to the eastern region like public charging infra which might not be that big an issue for others while most of the other issues can be attributed to teething troubles of the new tech and will improve as the tech and market matures.
IMO the EVs shouldn't be viewed as an alternative to ICE but as a new experience altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Keeping all that aside. One major niche reason for me. Where are EV Sedans?
Second that, with the extended boot it provides ample space to place a well designed battery pack with remarkable range without compromising on passenger space a lot.
Maybe the weight of the battery is playing spoilsport with a sedan's handling ? Or the need to stiffen the suspension would compromise ride quality by a lot ? Or is it just the market share isn't lucrative enough ? Many such layman questions exist in my mind but these will be overcome. Not holding my breath on it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
especially for those buying Masstige products (viz the Tiguan / Kodiaq / Camry variety) or Premium cars, EVs make immense sense.
We should adopt that impressive word, Masstige
But as you rightly said, at present something like the Kona or Ioniq 5 are great options for masstige buyers.

Last edited by shancz : 24th February 2024 at 13:27. Reason: grm
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 13:50   #32

I cannot vote because I am new but the main reason for me is closest to the following option: "I cannot install a charger at home in my residential parking"

Context: I was looking into buying a TiagoEV last year but decided against it because my society doesnt have charging options - also I keep shifting every 1-2 years and there is uncertainty around whether my new accomodation will have charging infra.

To be honest if there was good public charging infra and easy fast charging tech available then this would not have been a concern. It's always a combination of factors that impacts EV purchase decisions.
aishwaryamaurya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 13:50   #33
BHPian

I think for me, other than the obvious concerns for range and infrastructure, is the resale value.

As of now, 6-7 years down the line, it is uncertain at what value these electric cars will sell at. So yes, you are paying a premium upfront which can be offset by high mileage..but will you even be able to sell at an acceptable price?
Old 24th February 2024, 13:54   #34
BHPian

CATL is now shipping a 10 minute charging LFP battery in the Exeed ET SUV. It will take a long time for India to have chargers fast enough for this tech, whereas China is slated to have lakhs of them soon.

I think I’ll jump on the EV bandwagon as soon as cars with 20-30 minute charging, preferably RWD hatch, become available in the 10-20 lakh range.

Might buy a second hand ICE meanwhile but a new one will be financially risky.
Vikram9193 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 14:02   #35
BHPian

EV sales are cooling off world over, some of the reasons I dont prefer them yet are

- Longevity of EVs are a big question mark as of now, my experience with most things with batteries is that it degrades after 4-5 years of usage, this could be a little longer for some chemistries though, but there is not enough proof/data around this.
- Replacing a battery post warranty is simply not feasible as it will cost much more than the car's IDV at the time, say if a Nexon/XUV4OO requires a battery replacement at year 10, one may need to shell out at least 6-7 lakhs, will anyone be willing to purchase a used car of this age with a degraded battery?
- ICE cars if serviced on time can easily be owned for 15 years, even more if it is maintained well, doing this on an EV despite best efforts maintaining one will not yeild any usable life beyond 10-12 years unless the battery is replaced!
- Somehow EV market today looks to be following the trend of cell phones, high cost of acquisition when launched and then there is a drop in price few months later, almost worthless in about 7-8 years in terms of resale, this may lead to a situation where customers just scrap or abandon an EV if the battery has digraded significantly (Somewhat like how luxury cars end up when their up keep costs more than the vehicle's value)

Only use case where I would go for an EV is
- When there is enough data on reliability of a product over a period of 10 years, I have seen too many breakdowns and software issues being reported on brand new cars!
- High running within city limits on a regular basis
- Battery replacement cost is not more than 20-25% of the new car price over a period of 15 years, I need to be able to get at least 90% of the original range by around 10th year of ownership.
Old 24th February 2024, 14:04   #36
BHPian

There are a couple of reasons why I am not into EV bandwagon.

1. I am not convinced EVs are the way forward. I am pretty sure it is the intermediate stage or at least it needs another 5 to 10 years to get there.

2. The charging time is just way too much. I don't like to plan my road trips around refueling or recharging schedule. I dont want to eat or take rest as and when my car is getting charged.

3. I am still waiting for the established brands (Toyota, Honda, Ford for me) to go full throttle on EV or other technology.
Mr.Ogre is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 14:09   #37
Senior - BHPian

Currently I am not convinced to buy an EV for highway usage in India. If a technology is good, there is no one need to push people to adopt it. But what turns me off is the whataboutery of EV proponents.

If we have to save the environment, the entire human race may need to cease their existence. We are overpopulating the world, overutilizing the resources, threatening existence of other species, and polluting not only air, but water and soil as well.

Average battery pack weighs around 500Kg which can only give a range of 300KM in real world. 30L of fossil fuel can give same range. You are hauling so much dead weight ( 6 full grown adult weight) . So one can imagine how poor current technology advancements are in battery tech despite the tall claims.

Average person is not inclined to charge the car every 300KM-400KM for 45 minutes. In expressways, this means you have to charge for 45minutes for every 3 hours you drive. This may look ok to some. But majority are not willing to devote their mental space or time for charge planning on the route. Instead of bringing out technological advancements for either increasing the range or reducing the charge time, what we hear only is whataboutery of why can't you spare a 45min break every 300-400Km.
Every one agree EVs are good for city drive. But some are hell bent on proving current set of EVs are good for highways even in a country like India. People have more things to worry about than planning/worry about the charging during a trip.

For any gadgets, be it mobile or laptop or even a toy, we can see that the first component to fail is the battery. EV batteries have better management systems, may be. But still there are n't enough data to allay the 'battery dying down on you" fears of commoners.
Even as an electronic engineer I am not convinced by these tall claims of battery overliving the car.

Give us better tech, not gyaan. No one want to pollute the planet or pay extra for fossil fuels, but there are genuine concerns which need to be addressed.
poloman is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 14:26   #38
BHPian

Sir serious technology adoption requires early adopters. Did you buy the first smartphone to ever come out. Most likely not but the many who bought it paved the way for the smartphone you use today. Same applies to cars you own. Not many are willing to buy gen1 products. But the ones that do make way for further innovation so you and others can enjoy the gen3/4 products. Let’s give ears to the ones who are testing the waters for the greater good.
mally2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 14:26   #39
BHPian

Let's look at it from a different perspective.

My Motorcycle has a 13 litre fuel tank and returns 25-28kmpl when having fun on the highway.

2-3 litres is the reserve fuel so as to not damage the fuel pump, I need to fill up every 250-280km with 50-60km of spare capacity. This range is not too different from large 650cc/800cc/1200cc motorcycles that are used for around the world trips.

That tank range is not too different from what a Nexon EV does.

The reason why such a small range is a non issue on the bike but a big issue on the EV is because it takes 5 minutes to fill up the bike but 60 minutes+ on the Nexon EV.

The problem is not the range, the problem is the time it takes to charge it up. Home charging for city use has a charging time of zero minutes (it charges when you sleep). If a reasonably priced EV can go from 25% to 85% in 10 minutes, all this range anxiety, highway anxiety etc. will stop. That will be a charging rate of 240KWh. About 30% slower than the fastest charger and the fastest charging cars (EV6, Ioniq 5) in the country.

The problem here is that the Nexon charges @ 24KWh and not 240. The other Tatas are even slower to charge. Somehow Tata has decided that all highway breaks are supposed to be 1 hour long. I don't agree with that. Neither do most of the others here.

By comparison,
XUV400 is at 40kW
ZS EV is at 50kW (2x of Nexon)
Atto 3 is at 73kW (3x of Nexon)

From upcoming reasonably priced cars
Dolphin 60 KWh is at 88kW (~3.5x of Nexon)
BYD Seal RWD is at 95kW (4x of Nexon)
MG4 RWD 60 KWh is at 112kW (~5x of Nexon)

Battery cost is low enough now to support cars with large batteries to be priced at reasonable prices. The item that now needs price rationalisation is fast chargers that are faster than 100KWh. OMCs are doing lip service to the EV mission by providing just those slow 30Kw DC chargers.
antz.bin is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 14:29   #40
BHPian

Can’t wait for the MG4. If any birdie is aware pls do share ��
Old 24th February 2024, 14:29   #41
BHPian

I am not concerned about battery life or the resale value. My main concern is the charging time. If there are let's say two cars waiting to get charged even with fast charging I still have to wait more than 15 mins to get my turn. On top of that another 10-15 mins to get my charged. And I am someone who doesn't eat much on highways so for me it is unnecessary cost spent while charging the car.
And another important thing is the silence of EV. I know lot of them love that part of EV but I like my vehicle to make sound. That's the reason am starting to dislike recent petrol engines where you can't here anything inside cabin. I roll down the window just to enjoy that engine sound
Revvatron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 14:51   #42
BHPian

At this time in Q1, 2024 many new launches are expected in EV space in the later part of the year. These new launches from Chinese (BYD & MG) and Indian Juggernauts (Maruti, Tata and M&M) will likely have better architecture (Born EVs) leading to better space utilization, more range and hopefully competitive pricing due to ongoing price wars.
Hence, "Sit tight and assess" is a good approach at this time. Right now, Punch is the Born EV in the <20 Lacs space but it does come with initial issues with any new Tata vehicle.

I am also currently shifting between buying a XUV400 / Kona now or wait for new launches like MG4, Dolphin and EVX or even XUV400 with LFP battery with VW & M&M deal announced.
Love4Cars is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 15:18   #43
Senior - BHPian

Voted for 'need more options'. I will be looking to replace my Hyundai Elite i20 CVT with a small EV. But every time I check the available EV options (at this range) and get back to my i20, I appreciate it's build quality, refinement, fit-and-finish, comfort, thoughtful design touches, ergonomics and, more importantly, 'reliability'. I wish Hyundai or Kia (or even MG) launch an EV hatchback.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 15:48   #44

It'd be my first car if I'm buying any, so I won't really get to wait for the next generation; other than that my concerns resonate quite well with the results in order. I think I'd also be slightly concerned about getting so used to driving an EV that I'd be reluctant or unsure about driving a CV, if/when needed (don't know if this is a reasonable concern or I'm just over-thinking.

Besides all this, I think it's the presence of Hybrids with really good electric-only range that'd convince me out of EVs. If there's room for a combustion engine (and drivetrain) beside just about enough battery to cover a day's commute, I'd really like to have it for the occasional long-distance runs.
Old 24th February 2024, 15:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

EV are rare in GCC too. I travel around a lot in Middle East and almost all petrol heads say 2 things in common.

1) Where do I charge? One has to plan well in advance to find a public charger. Apartments do not have permission or provision to charge your EV.

2) Is my fuel saving over 60-80 months all going to blow away when one needs to buy a new battery pack? There are un-organized mechanics in Sharjah (backyard of Dubai) for Hybrid and EV battery repairs. But no one can vouch for their work.

Voted for Lack of charging facilities & ambiguity in future about battery replacement costs/lifecycle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks