Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Why wouldn't you consider buying an EV today? (Multiple choice)
High initial purchase cost 216 34.18%
They're fast developing; I prefer to wait for the next generation of EVs 256 40.51%
Battery range isn't enough for my kind of highway running 283 44.78%
Inadequate and unreliable public charging facilities 322 50.95%
I need more model options 75 11.87%
Uncertainty of battery life, reliability and repair costs in the long term 274 43.35%
Long charging times compared to IC engine cars 244 38.61%
I cannot install a charger at home in my residential parking 122 19.30%
I just prefer petrol / diesel engines 97 15.35%
Other (please specify in your post) 37 5.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 632. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2024, 16:05   #91
BHPian

Re: 2024 Edition | What are the reasons you won't buy an EV today?

Living in the Netherlands, I am just not into an EV yet, even though:-

- About 35% of new cars that were bought in the Netherlands in 2023 were electrics.
- A tesla showroom is just opposite my house, across the road, with all their inviting models.
- A Tesla super charging station about 200 m away from the above showroom.
- Two street chargers available less than 50m away from my home.
- Of our 5 neighbours, 3 have electric cars(but only as a 2nd or 3rd car).
- I can easily fix a home charger.
- Stats show(at-least here), that EVs are very reliable.

My mind just cannot fathom thinking about the range left all the time. I will probably go hybrid next.

Last edited by aneezan : 26th February 2024 at 16:13.
Old 26th February 2024, 19:22   #92

Can't vote yet, but the reasons I will not go EV are not a part of the available options. My reasons are mainly philosphical, namely:

1. I do not think EV vehicles are a natural transition from ICE vehicles. I feel it is a market created by the auto companies to extract a lot more money on a vehicle which has comparitively lesser bill of components/materials.
2. I have the gut feeling that EVs would ultimately be used to control the general populace. For e.g. If the government restricts you to access your home EV charger linked to a seperate meter for a particular period during the day, what would you do? There are a lot of recent examples of restricted charging times introduced in the EU union, which should make us all think of the perils of owning a vehicle whose fuel source can be controlled by authorities. Why do you think there is a push to install millions of smart meters? Ultimately to go to a prepaid system, and later going forward with the power of IoT, regulate specific aspects of your daily life, including charging your EV. Doomsday predictions? No, this is where we are going.
3. Lastly resale value. No second hand market accepts/sells EVs as a first choice. So ultimately, since the battery of these machines will not hold well, people will be be forced to sell/discard it cheap, and then buy a new machine. So a 10-15 year cycle that we currently have will be replaced by a 6-8 year cycle. And the more the cars bought, the more the taxes reined in. So ultimately the government has everything to gain over here in terms of revenue. Going forward all these current tax-breaks will go away, and the government coffers will be smiling when they see people buying more cars when compared to the ICE age!
jithin_isaac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 22:15   #93
Senior - BHPian

I won't buy an electric four wheeler until:

1. The entire fleet of central, state and local government cars turns electric.

(EV of the people, by the people, for the people)

2. My DM, CM & PM have an EV as their primary ride.

3. My TM (transport minister) stops experimenting with, and talking about exotic fuel run cars on a whim and settles for a decently priced EV.

4. Government stops issuing licences for newer petrol bunks- specially ones by Nayara & JioBP.

These external reasons apart, I would be vary of owning an EV till there is network of brand agnostic FNGs that can help address at least minor, day-to-day issues faced by the new crop of cars.
dailydriver is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 01:12   #94
BHPian

As usual, I am late for the party. I agree with almost all the points mentioned in the poll.
However, I have some more points to add. Let me have my rants here.

There was a time when the Nokia 3310 was the star of mobile phones. Solid build, crystal clear voice, best signal reception, and weeks of battery backup.
The best part: it was just a mobile phone ONLY!... Fast forward to now, we have gadgets that can be used as mobile phones.

That is my concern!

For me, a car should not be a gadget with 4 wheels, it should be an automobile. It should give some connected creature comfort; however, it must be me who drives it. How can you enjoy your journey when you are sitting in a gadget and surrounded by screens?

Moreover, I do not need fake engine noise to mimic an engine, I do not need fake gear shifts and fake exhaust. No simulations which gives you a sense of driving an ICE while the car controls everything.

If we have to compare a BEV with a smartphone, we can imagine some crazy developments in the coming years.

1. More and more useless compulsory subscriptions from car manufacturers,
2. Credibility of OTA updates. Chances of functional issues in cars after the update.
3. Disparity of car’s hardware (machine) and software upgrades and updates. (Like mobile phones that give Android upgrades for 4 years only, even though the phone can function way more than that)
4. Deliberately slow down older cars when new software is released. (Apple and Google were blamed for this issue on their phone software)
5. Listening and comprehending your every input and using it to push more annoying advertisements on your multiple car screens!
6. Expired software or trial version apps causing issues.
7. Need for installing Antivirus and car security software.
8. Evolution of Android Auto / Apple CarPlay into Car Operating System with lots of bugs.
9. Social media nuisance on car screens as well.
10. Online scammers to On-drive scammers.

Trust me, with all these, you will forget “range anxiety”.
So, are we ready for them?
Briarean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 13:31   #95
BHPian

No Electric Car for atleast next 5 yrs for the following reasons:

1) Higher initial cost:
My Low car running may take much longer time to achieve the Breakeven.

2) My 80% of the Kms are accomplished on Long Drives. Taking an Electric Car for long drives may need a lot of planning.

3) Charging Infrastructure outside cities
Availability of charging stations, Rush at Charging Stations, Compatibility of the Chargers are the few notable points which keep me away from EVs as of now.
Old 27th February 2024, 14:31   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
I won't buy an electric four wheeler until:

1. The entire fleet of central, state and local government cars turns electric.

(EV of the people, by the people, for the people).
Mate, we the people decide what the government does - not the other way around.

Government can happily throw away tax money, replace their good vehicles with EV, replace the EVs in 3 years for brand new EVs and repeat. You will be relegated to ride Metro, walk and then wonder when you can afford a new car.

The last part of it has already happened thanks to the Government, now most car buyers can only afford a used car!
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 16:25   #97
BHPian

I voted multiple reasons + others.

Why? - EV's are not for everyone, certainly not for me.
It is similar to why a petrol/diesel car is not for everyone.

So far, with the advent of EVs for the past 10+years, there is no "DIRECT and COMPREHENSIVE" study between an ICE and EV any where in the world. So why fix something that ain't broken? At least in the near future, I only see EV's as a lifestyle choice or another alternative to a petrol or diesel.

I only see the range anxiety, charging infra, high cost, charging times, etc only similar to how a laptop/PC/cell phone was looked at during its infancy stages. How big was that Motorola/Sony Ericsson cell phone during the mid 90's? What was the cost, charging time, battery capacity then? During those days it was still a lifestyle choice.

The other problem is environmental one - what happened to those old phones now? How was it discarded/recycled? How are we managing the e-waste (laptops, mobile phones, all battery applicances) at present? The EVs are only going to make situation more complicated and add to already incompatible system and process. If going green is the primary objective of anyone, were they so much concerned until now when they were using a mobile, laptop, etc.

I was never an early adopter back then and I don't want to be an early adopter even now. Period. Let's see how it goes and where it goes.
Old 28th February 2024, 16:28   #98
BHPian

I selected the first two reasons. While the Punch EV is a competent product, I am still waiting for something like a Honda E, or the one like this:

By the way, this is a first-look video of the production version of the Renault 5 EV (concept version was showcased in 2021, and going on sale in the UK/Europe from September this year). Affordability (of ~ 20 Lakhs) would be important, but I am perfectly okay with shorter range and home-charging as long as my EV meets the safety and efficiency standards, and of course the style quotient. Not very particular about the SUVish stance either, but a nice supermini/hatchback with a smaller footprint is fine - choosing quality over quantity essentially.
Old 28th February 2024, 17:06   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briarean View Post
As usual, I am late for the party. I agree with almost all the points mentioned in the poll.
However, I have some more points to add. Let me have my rants here.

There was a time when the Nokia 3310 was the star of mobile phones. Solid build, crystal clear voice, best signal reception, and weeks of battery backup.
The best part: it was just a mobile phone ONLY!... Fast forward to now, we have gadgets that can be used as mobile phones.
I agree with your assessment that cars are becoming more like gadgets these days. But I think the trend is not just limited to BEVs. Last month, one of my friends bought a Nexon facelift automatic DCT petrol car. After the delivery, we noticed the car started directly in second gear, causing a noticeable jerk at the initial pickup. We took the car to the service center immediately on the next day. Tata service center guys said this is a known issue, and they will have to update the software to fix it. As per them, these things are completely controlled through software, and no manual investigation is needed. They performed the update in six hours and handed back the car to us. It's been working fine since the software update.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 28th February 2024 at 17:10. Reason: trimming quoted post
linuxworld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 17:20   #100
BHPian

I'm assuming by EV you mean both 2W and 4W. And I'm not ready for EV, I selected:

1. They're fast developing; I prefer to wait for the next generation of EVs: I want the battery to be more reliable and easier to charge, and if possible, the possibility to carry more energy.
Currently, to achieve similar performance & range both, the ratio of petrol to lithium battery is 1:10 in terms of weight, i.e. for the same performance and range as achieved from a 10 kgs (not liters) bag of petrol, you need a 100 kgs litium ion battery. (Source of info: interview by Stephen Pierer, KTM)

2. I need more model options: In India, you don't have a significant EV, that can replace my 2013 Duke 390. Either its too heavy or its too expensive or just slow.

3. I just prefer petrol / diesel engines: The feel of shifting gears, choosing your ratio. An EV is a silent, uninvolving ride, like a video game.

4. Other (please specify in your post): The option is not given, probably because its not a problem in 4W, but you simply can't get DECENT PERFORMANCE in almost any electric 2W.
Even if it exists, it sells and services in Tier 1 cities only, and weighs a ton.

Last edited by Samarth 619 : 28th February 2024 at 17:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks