Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2010, 16:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There are two plans. The 100/- plan I think does not allow your phone to act as modem for the laptop. The 200/ plan does so.

When you ask the Airtel call line, they actually mentioned that to me. Though I am not sure, how they achieve this.
Are you using this plan ? What is it called ?

I am interested in the plan which allows mobile to act as modem for browsing on the laptop.

How is the speed ? Is it usable at least for checking mails and booking tickets ?

Rohan
Old 9th November 2010, 16:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

I have mobileoffice from airtel which enables me to use it as a modem.
Old 9th November 2010, 16:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

My phone acts as a modem to my lappy , I have a tata docomo connection with 100 rupees 6 gb plan activated , its so cost effective all the time in internet for just 100 rupees.

With the docomo connection I am even able to make free calls through skype , that's quite wonderful.
Old 10th November 2010, 10:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I have mobileoffice from airtel which enables me to use it as a modem.
What are the charges and download limit ?

How is the speed, is it sufficient for checking mails and booking tickets online ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
My phone acts as a modem to my lappy , I have a tata docomo connection with 100 rupees 6 gb plan activated , its so cost effective all the time in internet for just 100 rupees.

With the docomo connection I am even able to make free calls through skype , that's quite wonderful.
I also have a docomo connection. Will try this sometime.

How is the speed, is it sufficient for checking mails and booking tickets online ?

Rohan
Old 10th November 2010, 13:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

I had an Airtel GPRS plan. Unlimited download for 499. I used it a lot between 2004 and 2009 when I was traveling extensively. It used to be the next best thing to Reliance. The speeds were rarely above 100kbps though.
Old 10th November 2010, 13:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
What are the charges and download limit ?

I also have a docomo connection. Will try this sometime.

Rohan
do co mo is ma daily runner , to upload snaps to tbhp , to talk not chat with my in laws in australia and middle east throught skype and messenger. book tickets(https) send and reply mails. watching you tube etc etc. a reliable one though.
Old 10th November 2010, 15:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I had an Airtel GPRS plan. Unlimited download for 499. I used it a lot between 2004 and 2009 when I was traveling extensively. It used to be the next best thing to Reliance. The speeds were rarely above 100kbps though.
100kbps? Never on GPRS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
do co mo is ma daily runner , to upload snaps to tbhp , to talk not chat with my in laws in australia and middle east throught skype and messenger. book tickets(https) send and reply mails. watching you tube etc etc. a reliable one though.
3G ? What the bill plan?
Old 10th November 2010, 15:57   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
100kbps? Never on GPRS!

3G ? What the bill plan?
It works on prepaid 50 rs for 2 Gb and 100 for 6 gb , but the 100 rs plan is not working now. 3 G I have not tried it yet.
Old 10th November 2010, 16:00   #39
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
yes , my father uses the tata indicom aircard , an it's much faster than reliance (which he earlier used to use via his reliance phone)
I am not sure it is faster. Both are fast where there is 3G coverage, and both are equally slow where coverage is only "High" speed. Reliance has better coverage of regular as well as Broadband. So I guess it is the one which has better coverage where you will be using it that you should go for.
Old 10th November 2010, 16:28   #40
BHPian

I have Vodafone(postpaid) for my official purpose and Airtel(Prepaid) for personal

Currrently using Airtel 2gb Rs 98 plan having validty of 30 days, i hardly consume more than 200 mbs per month. Vodafone has extremely high charges for mobile connect in mumbai.
Old 10th November 2010, 18:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
100kbps? Never on GPRS!
GPRS with EDGE has peaked at 115kbps in Metros. In rural areas the speed was generally 50 to 80kbps.

What I liked was the ease of connecting either on the phone or laptop via bluetooth, practically where ever Airtel signal was present.
Old 10th November 2010, 18:35   #42
Senior - BHPian

In my phone the 3 g was turned off and I manually turned it on now , I am 3 g with Docomo now, hurray. Can experience the difference in speed.
Old 24th November 2010, 13:11   #43
mgh
BHPian

the cdma usb modems available such as photon+ give close to 1 mbps speeds
Old 24th November 2010, 13:37   #44
Senior - BHPian

Airtel GPRS

I have been using Airtel GPRS since the past three years. I have used it extensively on my old N70 and now on my N95 8GB. Infact, I am posting this message from my mobile!

My plan is a corporate one. Rental is Rs. 349 with unlimited usage. I have uploaded close to 6000 pics in Team BHP, FB and other websites with this connection. I think the speed is close to 80kbps most of the time.

I used to have an Idea connection with Mobile Internet earlier. But the speed was pathetic and they increased the rental astronomically. So I shifted to Airtel and have been a very happy customer ever since.

I can connect to Team BHP site in 5- 10 seconds. What more could I ask for? :-)

Two months back, I purchased a Reliance USB Broadband connection for my wife and I. The speeds I get is just 50 - 150 kbps during day time. But it increases to 200 kbps after 12am. I have got about 1.6 mbps speed after 3am some days.

I am waiting for the 3G services of Airtel to start!

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 24th November 2010 at 13:40.
Old 24th November 2010, 13:41   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
100kbps? Never on GPRS!

Sorry to quote an old post.

But on my network i.e. Reliance CDMA, I get speeds anywhere between 200-300 kbps. tested on mobilespeedtest.com

We are hoping that some day EVDO services are launched, that way we can have our own version of 3G!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks