Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2010, 15:49   #3226
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
So in that case do you recomend the Nikon?
I used to use Nikon, then I shifted to Canon. I realised a long time ago that the limitation regardless of Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Hassie, was in reality me.

I would look at feel, handling, and the touch feely parameters more than any one feature. I mean as a beginner you wont use 1/2000 leave alone 1/4000.
Old 8th March 2010, 16:46   #3227
BHPian

Hey Guys!

Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

@milecruncher. I think Nikon offers interantional warranty on SLR lenses, Film SLRs and FIlm accessories and local warranty for DSLR bodies, P&S cameras. You can find the information under Service & support tab.

@Navin: food for thought, I think I do might do well by going with the Kit lens and in future think of buying 70mm-300mm if and when funds permit or wait and see what my tastes are.

@amit: Thanks Amit, I will look at that option as well, if my colleague (Boss actually) decided to carry it from the US. The only challenge is the warranty, shipping et all. But the offer of 72K INR for D-90body + Kit lens+ Nikon carry bag + 70mm-300mm is indeed mouth watering..warranty be damned!!

Guys any views on Canon 50D, I have a Canon sales outlet here in Raipur and hence can check out the camera in detail. Now I really believe TSK that Canon had a much wider service & sales footprint even for DSLRs!

Best,
Fatboyslim
Old 8th March 2010, 16:54   #3228
Senior - BHPian

You want a Canon or a Nikon ? Thats a million dollar question and confusion to be cleared before even considering the other aspects. I have started my DSLR learning with a Nikon D60. I had 18-55 vr as kit and added 55-200 vr later, now both are sold off and experimenting with the new addition 35mm 1.8 prime (DX), waiting for 17-70, 2.8 sigma too. Then the next addition in mind is either a 70-300 or a 150-500 depending on my budget.

But there are many moments I felt I would have started with a Canon body considering the kind of feed backs on 3rd party lenses like Sigma, Tamron etc. I have few friends who use a sigma 150-500 with a Canon body and find it perfect, but the same lens used by Nikon guys are not happy.

Once the journey begins, its not just the body, but one will have a line of lenses that covers various ranges and specs, which will all go waste if a brand change from Nikon to Canon or vice versa is done at a later stage. And, if I have a coverage of 10mm to 500mm in 3 or 4 lenses and some primes in my bag, will I ever think of shifting body to another brand ? Chances are very very less, unless I am loaded with money to consider a second DSLR of another make, which will again follow the same process of adding up lenses.

So, my point is, read as many reviews as possible, but also meet the real-time users for closer opinions which will make a decision 100% perfect. I read too many reviews, but I couldnt meet a single real-time user before my buy. Now if I am in the market for a new DSLR, I would consider Nikon D90 to start with or Canon 50D, both having a marginal difference of 8k in the MRP. I wouldnt mind waiting for few extra months if my budget doesnt permit me to start with either of the above.
Old 8th March 2010, 16:57   #3229
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I used to use Nikon, then I shifted to Canon. I realised a long time ago that the limitation regardless of Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Hassie, was in reality me.

I would look at feel, handling, and the touch feely parameters more than any one feature. I mean as a beginner you wont use 1/2000 leave alone 1/4000.
I will have a look at both. The problem is the Canon is not in stock and he'll get it only if want it. What would you choose if you were in my situation.
Old 8th March 2010, 17:07   #3230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslim View Post

Guys any views on Canon 50D, I have a Canon sales outlet here in Raipur and hence can check out the camera in detail. Now I really believe TSK that Canon had a much wider service & sales footprint even for DSLRs!

Best,
Fatboyslim
I am looking for an ultra wide angle third party lens. In chandni chowk Delhi(the grey marked hub), UWAs are rare, but for canon mount you can still find lenses, for nikon its tougher, and if you want it for pentax etc., its almost impossible!
Canon gear is more easily available, atleast in Delhi, though I must say that Nikon is making good inroads here. But only thing thats improving is availability of nikon lenses, for third party lenses, canon mount is more ocmmon
Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
but I couldnt meet a single real-time user before my buy. Now if I am in the market for a new DSLR, I would consider Nikon D90 to start with or Canon 50D, both having a marginal difference of 8k in the MRP. I wouldnt mind waiting for few extra months if my budget doesnt permit me to start with either of the above.
There are so many of us who use canon extensively, and ditto for nikon. Rudra is a hardcore canon user!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
I will have a look at both. The problem is the Canon is not in stock and he'll get it only if want it. What would you choose if you were in my situation.
Thats very funny! Canon has authorized outlets all over. did you go to the "canon shop" in your location(I presume, goa)
Old 8th March 2010, 17:47   #3231
BHPian

+1 to TSK. Man I have a Canon dealer in Raipur who has ready stocks of L series. What can I say?

Best
Old 8th March 2010, 20:00   #3232

My advice would be go into a camera store and try both the models in your hand.That could make it very easy to make your decision.You cannot go wrong with canon or nikon.
Old 8th March 2010, 21:18   #3233
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Thats very funny! Canon has authorized outlets all over. did you go to the "canon shop" in your location(I presume, goa)
I haven't seen a Canon Shop in Goa. Need to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield1212 View Post
My advice would be go into a camera store and try both the models in your hand.That could make it very easy to make your decision.You cannot go wrong with canon or nikon.
That's what I'm trying to do.
Old 8th March 2010, 21:48   #3234
Senior - BHPian

I have a confusion to be cleared, Gurus, please throw some tips !
If I ask my friend to buy a lens from US and send it by UPS or any other courier marked as 'Gift', will I save on the duty ? If yes, whats to be kept in mind while shipping it ? Online retailers dont ship items to India as gift, therefore it gets duty here, but something coming here as an 'individually shipped' item might save that, thats the thought behind this doubt.
Old 8th March 2010, 22:37   #3235
Senior - BHPian

@L2J - The D3000 felt awesome in my hand while holding and shooting it. Plus punchier nicer JPEGs. I wouldn't give a rat's rearside about liveview.

Ultimately u cant go wrong with either!
Old 8th March 2010, 22:52   #3236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You want a Canon or a Nikon ?
That question could have easily turned into Canon, Nikon or Olympus, if only the incredibly stupid and lazy Olympus India had the slightest clue to exploit the untapped market in India.

This month I complete 4 years of my dSLR journey using Olympus E-system, and I am in a content state of dSLR ownership, a rare state to achieve. I am happy with my current dSLR and lenses. And I shall give absolutely no credit to Olympus India. I am happy despite Olympus India.

What is so bad about Olympus India? Consider this, despite being a very happy owner of Olympus E-System, I will not recommend owning Olympus dSLR in India. You will be on your own, no support from Olympus and no resale for your gear. If you still dare to buy, then you can own and enjoy a very pioneer dSLR system with excellent lenses and some unique features.

If you want to play safe, keep away from Olympus E-System.
Old 8th March 2010, 23:09   #3237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You want a Canon or a Nikon ? Thats a million dollar question and confusion to be cleared before even considering the other aspects. I have started my DSLR learning with a Nikon D60. I had 18-55 vr as kit and added 55-200 vr later, now both are sold off and experimenting with the new addition 35mm 1.8 prime (DX), waiting for 17-70, 2.8 sigma too. Then the next addition in mind is either a 70-300 or a 150-500 depending on my budget..
Shaju when you say Sigma 17-70 2.8..is there a f/2.8 available in that focal range from sigma or you ar referring to the 17-70 f/2.8-4.5..sure makes a lot of difference?

I checked out a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 the other day..its an amazing lens for the price.

At tsk, UWA's are available at Pritam's (CC) atleast the Sigma ones for Canon.
Old 8th March 2010, 23:57   #3238
BANNED

The more reviews I read, the more confused I get. Some comparos declare the Canon a winner whereas some go with the Nikon. These 2 are really closely matched. One minute I feel like going for the Nikon and the next I want the Cannon.
@#1#
Old 9th March 2010, 00:25   #3239
BHPian

@liveto jive

Canon and Nikon, both are crappy, it is up to the user to make either of them extra-odinary

Regards,
TG.
Old 9th March 2010, 10:15   #3240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
@liveto jive

Canon and Nikon, both are crappy, it is up to the user to make either of them extra-odinary

Regards,
TG.

D40x camera body + DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED + Tamron 70 300 tele-cum-macro lens(new one only 3 months old).

Cam + 18-135 is 2007 model. Sparingly used by a colleague but a good photographer.

24k sounds ok ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks