Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2010, 22:20   #3211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Good points there buddy ! I agree that upgrading to a DSLR will not make you a professional overnite. It is a journey with lot of hard work, reading, discussions, experiments and correcting lot of myths that sleep in our minds about photography. This is one field nobody achieves an instant stardom.

I have been shooting since 10 years and Olympus IS 500 (film camera) was my first camera Olympus IS-500 Review - PhotographyBLOG

I moved to a Point & Shoot Canon IXUS 800 IS Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Digital ELPH: Digital Photography Review

Again I moved to Nikon D60 mid of 2009 Nikon D60 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

My 9 years were spent in just clicks and nothing of a learning curve. Although I had the learning desire right from childhood (1970 onwards my father had an Agfa camera), I never started the learning until I got hold of the D60.

Its an expensive affair to seriously get into DSLR world. I have already sold my 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR lenses. Got a Nikon 35mm f1.8 G, waiting for a Sigma 17-70 f2.8 MACRO HSM and a 70-300 or 150-500. Decision is very difficult (about the 150-500) considering the price range, lack of enough compatability and result reviews. Sigma 18-250 DC OS HSM seems to be a good lens as an all-rounder.

I have got very good feed-backs on 150-500 from canon users, but not a convincing feeback from Nikon guys. Right now I consider my D60 days are learning time and like a babyhood stage. There are plenty of clubs and groups within various forums based on different cities that can help a lot in the learning stage. Few interactions itself are helping me a lot.

To summarise: You are your own master in a way, you hear lectures, you attend group meets, you read many books, you see lot of works by others, BUT.....if your DSLR is mostly in its bag, then its a 'sleeping hobby', not going to improve anytime. Thats what I am trying to fight out within myself.

Sorry for the long post, I hope I havent gone OT here !

Note: If anyone is using a 17-70 2.8 or 150-500 or 18-250 sigmas, please comment, it would be a good help.
Hi shajufx,

I am using the Sigma 17-70 with an aperture of 2.8, bought this one with my Nikon D90 after exchanging the stock 18-105mm i got. The lens is good and has Macro too. I've been using it only for 1~1.5 months now, and have clicked a few pics of my fishes which turned out to be "ok". I am only 2 months old in the DSLR world, one of my friens is a pro and was very impressed with the lens.
Old 7th March 2010, 13:03   #3212
BHPian

Gentlemen,

Finally, after a long and arduous trek, I have decided to to take the plunge. Lsst minutes suggestions/advice/recommendations are much sought from gurus/non-gurus et all. Please help me

1. Camera Body: D-90 expected to purchased from e-bay. Chennai based store called JK_camera. Need to check if they have a body package which come factory packed. Called JJ mehta and according to them they will remove the kit lens from the box and send it across. Not good at all! Anyone with experience with body only purchase. Please help!

Asking price ebay 44,000 INR & JJmehta 55,000-only issue is not find out if the warranty on ebay is Nikon India.

Did not want to go for the kit lens 18-105 mm VR. No offense, but I feel its a bit short for my passion for wildlife. So the lenses are as follows:

a. 18mm-55mm DX VR Nikkor (From India)
b. 70m-300mm VR (From USA): I was tempted to go for 55mm-200mm DX VR but wanted to make it future proof by not going for DX (APC only) lens. Since my colleagues will be carrying the lenses from USA-might as throw in a professional cleaning kit from adorama.

Now for the choice of bags:

Could you please suggest me a good bag, not expensive maybe under 3k or just thereabouts?

There is of course another deal which seemed to be very attractive on bestbuy:

1. Nikon D-90 + 18-105 DX VR mm+ 70-300 mm VR+ NIkon carry bag for Us $ 1580. Total 73000 INR.

Does any one think it is a good idea? I could potentially ask my colleague? Could there issue with customs?

Would greatly appreciate your time guys, please do help!

Cheers!
fatboyslim
Old 7th March 2010, 15:10   #3213
BHPian

Hey guys:

Just spoke to Canon dealer in Raipur and he quoted a price of 59K INR for the 50D body. JJ Mehta had quoted 55INR K for D90 body. Though I was fairly decided on Nikon, should I evaluate 50 D in greater detail? Does this 5K offer substantially better value?

Is this only if the ebay deal falls through. Please help me out here and forgive my pre-purchase jitters.

Best,
fatboyslim
Old 7th March 2010, 16:12   #3214
BANNED

Between the Canon 1000D and Nikon D3000, the Canon 1000D comes with a CMOS sensor whereas the Nikon D3000 comes with a CCD sensor. Is that a good enough reason to opt for the Canon over the Nikon?
Old 7th March 2010, 20:39   #3215

I have a 3 month old D90 with 50mm f1.8 nikkor lense + tenba camera bag and a tripod.I might sell it as I dont use it much.PM if anyones keen .
Old 8th March 2010, 00:12   #3216
Senior - BHPian

@fatboy slim getting from US is good idea no problem with customes if your collegue is carryin only 1 camera and also not in original box. Ask him to flatten the original box and pack in his suitcase.

The ebay warrenty is always a vendor warrenty , A US warrenty is always better then ebay seller warrenty atleast you are assured warrenty will be honoured as long as you can bear shipping cost.
Old 8th March 2010, 10:30   #3217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslim View Post
1. Camera Body: D-90 expected to purchased from e-bay.
Asking price ebay 44,000 INR

Did not want to go for the kit lens 18-105 mm VR. No offense, but I feel its a bit short for my passion for wildlife. So the lenses are as follows:

a. 18mm-55mm DX VR Nikkor (From India)
b. 70m-300mm VR (From USA):

1. Nikon D-90 + 18-105 DX VR mm+ 70-300 mm VR+ NIkon carry bag for Us $ 1580. Total 73000 INR.

Does any one think it is a good idea? I could potentially ask my colleague? Could there issue with customs?
The 18-105 is a better lens than the 18-55 even over the range the 18-55 operates. plus having some overlap means you wont need to swtich lenses as often ( I use a 17-55 and 70-200 or 70-300 and have to switch quite often).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Is that a good enough reason to opt for the Canon over the Nikon?
IQ, handling, and lens sets are all better reasons.

1. what will you photograph
2. which system has better lenses for what you will photograph
etc...

these are more pertinent than a CCD vs CMOS debate.
Old 8th March 2010, 10:44   #3218
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
IQ, handling, and lens sets are all better reasons.

1. what will you photograph
2. which system has better lenses for what you will photograph
etc...

these are more pertinent than a CCD vs CMOS debate.
I'm a newbie upgrading from a P&S. So just general photography. I don't really understand much but willing to learn. I don't know whether CCD or CMOS will make any difference to me? The shop guy has told me to choose between the two. I compared the 2 on dpreview and feature wise they seem to be neck and neck. Only problem is I don't know the significance of many features wrt my usage.
Old 8th March 2010, 12:02   #3219
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
@ Live To Jive
Neither of them have live view.
As per this review, the Canon 1000D has Live View.
Canon launches EOS 1000D / Rebel XS: Digital Photography Review

The Nikon D3000 does not have it.
Nikon unveils D3000 entry-level DSLR: Digital Photography Review
However the specifications mentions; LCD Liveview • Contrast-detect AF. What does it mean?

Last edited by Live To Jive : 8th March 2010 at 12:22.
Old 8th March 2010, 12:38   #3220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
IS Lens are one swhich have inbuilt image stabilisers (in the lens and not body). So in case of camera shake, the lens takes care of it and helps in images not getting blurried.

On the warranty front, what are the chances of something going wrong in the Camera Body. Does Nikon have international warranty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Jango, Apart from what MC have said, the IS lens is said to be optically superior to its non IS counterpart. This is another good reason to opt for the 18-55 IS lens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anshurao View Post
jango, with an IS lens you also can shoot at slightly slower shutter speeds in low light conditions without having to worry about camera shake.
Thanks a lot guys, that helps. Also is the Canon Rebel XSi a good buy for beginners or do i have a choice of something better from the Nikon family. My cousin is coming down from the US and the Rebel XSi is available for under USD 600 with the IS 18-55 lens. Can i confirm on this model or do i have a better choice...pls suggest.
Old 8th March 2010, 13:35   #3221
Team-BHP Support

The latest 550 will be for around 800$ with 18-55 IS lens. Sure you spend 200$ extra, but you get full HD video!
For 700$ you can go in for the 500D
Old 8th March 2010, 13:41   #3222
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't know whether CCD or CMOS will make any difference to me?
For most parts, It wont.

Quote:
As per this review, the Canon 1000D has Live View.
The Nikon D3000 does not have it.
Live View is not very useful unless the camera has a tilting LCD screen. Live view is what all P&S's have. Most DSLRs however do not.

BTW I have a camera that has LiveView but not a tilting screen so I know how useful or rather useless liveview is.
Old 8th March 2010, 13:48   #3223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Between the Canon 1000D and Nikon D3000, the Canon 1000D comes with a CMOS sensor whereas the Nikon D3000 comes with a CCD sensor. Is that a good enough reason to opt for the Canon over the Nikon?
I don't think you should be worrying too much about whether it is a CCD or a CMOS sensor. Compare the other aspects which are of importance to you.
Old 8th March 2010, 14:47   #3224
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
For most parts, It wont. Live View is not very useful unless the camera has a tilting LCD screen. Live view is what all P&S's have. Most DSLRs however do not.
BTW I have a camera that has LiveView but not a tilting screen so I know how useful or rather useless liveview is.
So in that case do you recomend the Nikon? If both are more or less similar in other aspects, I'd prefer to gove with the Live View. After all the price difference between the 2 is just 1000 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I don't think you should be worrying too much about whether it is a CCD or a CMOS sensor. Compare the other aspects which are of importance to you.
OK which are the features that I should give a priority.
Old 8th March 2010, 15:11   #3225
Senior - BHPian

Anyone has bought a sigma 17-70 2.8 OS HSM lens in India ? I cant find it with any sellers nor dealers. All are keeping the non-OS version quoted 17k. Looks like new OS version is not yet listed by anyone. Probably sellers want to clear off the non-OS stock.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks