Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2013, 15:12   #11311
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
... considering getting her an OM-D. But that will be for later maybe when the OM-D II comes out. ...
Haven't you heard of eBay?

Just joking - reminded me of their TV ad!

Quote:
... and scenes that require high DR. ...
What's DR here?
Old 24th January 2013, 15:39   #11312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Haven't you heard of eBay?

Just joking - reminded me of their TV ad!

What's DR here?
No eBay for me.

DR = Dynamic Range. Putting it simply it's the ratio between the darkest and the most illuminated or brightest object in the picture. Most modern DSLRs have high DR and you can pull highlights from the RAW/NEF files. The D800/800E in particular is a notable mention for high res + high DR.

Last edited by R2D2 : 24th January 2013 at 15:40.
Old 24th January 2013, 15:46   #11313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1

Glad you got a good deal. Just put some good glass on that body and let that superb sensor rip. Hope to see some pics from Chambal et al. The D800/E excels for landscapes and scenes that require high DR.

Which lenses do you intend to carry on your trip? A fast telephoto (e.g. 70-200 F/2.8?) and a sharp WA (e.g. 16-35 F/4 VR) ?

Wish you good luck with the 800E.
I have a humble 300 F4 with a 1.4 TC and a 180 F2.8 does does all my telephoto work. Besides this I have a 12-24 F4 and 35-70 F2.8 for the wide angle work. Yes I need a good wide angle too, but I guess I will first get a Panasonic 7-14 F4 for my GX1 before I even think of a FF wide angle. 85 1.8 and a 50 1.4 will handle low light situations.

But I still wonder how you will carry the 600 or the 400 and the 300 which I guess is what you will usually carry to safaris along with the tripod and gimbal. You will any way have to take the entire gypsy and remove the rear seat to house your gear.
Old 24th January 2013, 15:58   #11314
BHPian

Quote:
So the 3rd big super tele is here. The 400mm F/2.8, that I call Bumble Bee. This chap weighs nearly as much as the 600mm monster that arrived in December. The 300mm F/2.8, Optimus Prime, is the lightest and most portable of the lot.

Got myself a Wimberley head + plates this month (at the cost of a blasting from the spouse).

2 beautiful primes - the 24mm F/1.4G and 35mm F1.4G & the SB910 flash were delivered along with the 400mm super tele. I will in all probability use the 35mm more than the 50mm 1.4G.
Congrats R2D2. Thats one hell of a prime gear. While we are waiting for some snaps, why not post a photo of the gear to start with (especially the long primes)
Old 24th January 2013, 16:11   #11315
BHPian

Has any one used Tamron 24-75 2.8 & Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro. How good are they in Indoors. Specifically the AF Speed / accuracy?

I'm not expecting it to be as fast as their Pro level counterparts. But general review for Indoor shoots would be helpful.
Old 24th January 2013, 16:15   #11316
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I have a humble 300 F4 with a 1.4 TC and a 180 F2.8 does does all my telephoto work. Besides this I have a 12-24 F4 and 35-70 F2.8 for the wide angle work. Yes I need a good wide angle too, but I guess I will first get a Panasonic 7-14 F4 for my GX1 before I even think of a FF wide angle. 85 1.8 and a 50 1.4 will handle low light situations..
That so called humble 300mm F/4 is one of Nikon's best and I believe it offers the best bang for the buck in the entire range. Paired with a 1.4TC you have a good solution, my relative uses this for birding - main USP is portability and IQ. It is simply unbeatable. The 35-70 is a great lens. Not experienced or read much about the 12-24 (is it DX?) or the Panny lens + body combinations

Quote:
But I still wonder how you will carry the 600 or the 400 and the 300 which I guess is what you will usually carry to safaris along with the tripod and gimbal. You will any way have to take the entire gypsy and remove the rear seat to house your gear.
Yes, carrying either the 600 or 400 will entail getting extra elbow room. I will get a bean bag some day and use it with the Gitzo long lens head

The cramped space in a 4x4 won't allow for much more like a Gitzo 5 series + gimbal. And yes, I might have to hire the vehicle instead of sharing it with other visitors.

The immediate solution is the 300mm with either 1.4 or 2.0 TCs. The bigger lenses require far more skill & technique especially with TCs. I am still working on acquiring those skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Congrats R2D2. Thats one hell of a prime gear. While we are waiting for some snaps, why not post a photo of the gear to start with (especially the long primes)
Thanks C300. Yes, it's a decent set of lenses..finally. It took me years to get the kit where I wanted it to be.

I know the super teles are impressive to look at but believe me I love the other lenses (especially the Nikon Trinity and my other primes) just as much.

I would have uploaded some photos but thought otherwise. There are just so many photos of these lenses on the net including side-by-side comparisons.

But I will do so some day soon. Just got back from a long holiday 2nd week Jan and there's a huge backlog of work that needs to be done. The cameras and lenses are back in their bags for now.
Old 24th January 2013, 17:01   #11317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I will do so some day soon. Just got back from a long holiday 2nd week Jan and there's a huge backlog of work that needs to be done. The cameras and lenses are back in their bags for now.
I thought the 600 and 400 came in big hard caskets and dont come in bags? Or have the changed the packing of these?
Old 24th January 2013, 17:07   #11318
Team-BHP Support

Re: Delicensing photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Higher end mobile phones do a pretty good job in terms of taking photos anytime, anywhere - especially social/people photos.
I have some black-berry thingy for my email. I can see it has a lens but by the time i get it's camera function the moment has usually passed. A dedicated camera is easier and more handy for oldies like me (our phones are too smart for us).
Old 24th January 2013, 17:59   #11319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I thought the 600 and 400 came in big hard caskets and dont come in bags? Or have the changed the packing of these?
The lenses are still very much provided in hard cases. They look like classic suitcases from the early 20th century. LOL! See here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2985322

Bag is a metaphor as only the 600 and 400 come with those hard cases while the others either have ballistic nylon cases or soft pouches (that look like old style money bags with a draw string). The pouches are pretty useless IMO
Old 24th January 2013, 18:42   #11320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
Has any one used Tamron 24-75 2.8 & Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro. How good are they in Indoors. Specifically the AF Speed / accuracy?

I'm not expecting it to be as fast as their Pro level counterparts. But general review for Indoor shoots would be helpful.
Long back I had the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro. Lens was like ok but it is a focus hunter and veryyyy sluggish. It has some sweet points such as f/13, it sucks big times at f/2.8. Overall for the price you pay it is an ok product.

I would put money into the Nikon 105mm macro and have it for life since the lens is sharp across aperture ranges.

Quote:
.....Not experienced or read much about the 12-24 (is it DX?) or the Panny lens + body combinations
I had the 12-24 f/4 DX which I gave away for a Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 DX for my D300. While I was with 12-24 I use to think that this is the best UWA ever. But I was blown away by the contrast and color of 17-55 so could not resist the purchase. But yes, 12-24 has its own advantage (at the tele end though).

Quote:
Yes, carrying either the 600 or 400 will entail getting extra elbow room. I will get a bean bag some day and use it with the Gitzo long lens head

The cramped space in a 4x4 won't allow for much more like a Gitzo 5 series + gimbal. And yes, I might have to hire the vehicle instead of sharing it with other visitors.

The immediate solution is the 300mm with either 1.4 or 2.0 TCs. The bigger lenses require far more skill & technique especially with TCs. I am still working on acquiring those skills.

So how is your training getting along? I am planning to rent the 600mm for my next ranganthittu trip. Toehold has started to rent the 400 and 600mm lenses for 3250/- a day. Not a bad deal at all given that I use to pay 2500 a day for 200-400 VR.

But yes, the pain in hands is quite unbearable. I bought a used 70-200 f/2.8 VR lately and happen to shoot during my relative's wedding for one whole day handheld. I think somehow some nerve in my elbow got pulled, and it is like more than a month since I have that pain.

BTW, just wanted to check with M4/3 experts, has anyone got hands on the Fuji X100s ? I was quite interested in that camera provided if it is official that they fixed all the bugs from previous version X100.

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 24th January 2013 at 18:53.
Old 24th January 2013, 19:18   #11321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
So how is your training getting along? I am planning to rent the 600mm for my next ranganthittu trip. Toehold has started to rent the 400 and 600mm lenses for 3250/- a day. Not a bad deal at all given that I use to pay 2500 a day for 200-400 VR.
Training has just started and will take quite a while. Have been reading, now to follow it up with practice at home so I don't look like a buffoon whilst setting up the gear at the wildlife park.

Interesting to see toehold offer the 600mm but I couldn't see the 400 for rent. Unfortunately they don't serve cities other than BLR for now.

Quote:
But yes, the pain in hands is quite unbearable. I bought a used 70-200 f/2.8 VR lately and happen to shoot during my relative's wedding for one whole day handheld. I think somehow some nerve in my elbow got pulled, and it is like more than a month since I have that pain.
Sorry to hear about your elbow. Any heavy lens (i.e one that according to me weighs more than 1 Kg) will pressure your arms/hands and after a point it gets painful. Carry a monopod to rest the camera/lens whilst not in use. Or use a good quality after market strap like Up-strap, Op/Tech or even the Black Rapid.

Speaking of the BR, it is very comfortable and very easy to use. I have one but not too happy about dangling an entire body + lens assembly upside down from the tripod mount, something that it wasn't designed to do. It creates a single point of failure which can be expensive if something goes awry. My BR investment is a waste but I won't risk my lenses.
Old 24th January 2013, 19:51   #11322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Long back I had the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro. Lens was like ok but it is a focus hunter and veryyyy sluggish. It has some sweet points such as f/13, it sucks big times at f/2.8. Overall for the price you pay it is an ok product.

I am really surprised that your Tamron 90 was so bad at 2.8 and that you had to stop down to F13 to get optimum performance. Mine is excellent at 2.8 even at infinity and bitingly sharp at short distances. Its consistently rated to be optically as good as Nikon and Canon counerparts. Only negative that I can think is build quality, lens extension/protrusion and slow focus. Seriously optically I don't think you can do much better.

Last edited by SPARKled : 24th January 2013 at 20:01.
Old 24th January 2013, 19:57   #11323
Senior - BHPian

anybody has had luck with aftermarket tripod collars? My Nex5R is pretty small as it is, and sigma 70-300mm makes it very hard to use a tripod. I am looking for something that can hold the sigma without hindering zoom and focus rings.

this picture shows the tripod mount point in relation to the lens+nex5R. I mounted it once on tripod but am never gonna do it again.

The DSLR Thread-p0001_240113_1.jpg
Old 24th January 2013, 21:04   #11324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
anybody has had luck with aftermarket tripod collars? I mounted it once on tripod but am never gonna do it again.
What issues have you faced? AFAIK this lens isn't heavy, is it? Using a DSLR lens on a NEX camera would create an off kilter assembly.
Old 24th January 2013, 21:14   #11325
Senior - BHPian

No issues, I actually took some test shots. Just that It felt really weird with all the load on one side of the mount, I was afraid it will break.

The lens is not very heavy, but all the load on one side (also offset by the nex adapter) puts a lot of torsional stress on the camera.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks