Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2012, 13:21   #10561
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

I can speak about the Nikkor 70~300 as I've used it extensively. This lens is not meant for macros shots. The minimum focussing distance at all zooms is 4.9 feet.

For a macro shot you also need a fast lense - say a F/2.8 or lower. The 70~300 at almost 750 gm is a heavy lens for macro shoots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

How is the macro shots of 70-300mm? Also is it true that tripod is mandatory if i were to shoot with 70-300mm lens? (even for macro shots?)
Old 22nd September 2012, 16:00   #10562
BHPian

Hi. I have been following this thread since quite some time and now posting since I need your valuable suggestions. I've been using a Sony P&S and a Nikon bridge (L810), and now want to graduate to a DSLR. I have set across a modest (relatively) budget of about 60k (Inclusive of a 50mm prime and a standard zoom).
After a bit of thinking, I've shortlisted the 550D/600D or the 5100/3200. I'm inclined towards Canon as at this price point I've to get lenses with auto focus motor with Nikon. However, please point me to the right direction if I'm missing out on something.
Also, given that my photography is mostly potraits, low light, nature (not birding) and the occassional macro, please help me with the lenses as well keeping in mind that I'm still learning. TIA!

P.S. Should I be looking forward to something else at this price point? (Or maybe a small hike over my current budget, but please do remember I'm an amateur wrt to DSLRs)

Last edited by dreamseller : 22nd September 2012 at 16:02.
Old 22nd September 2012, 16:44   #10563
BHPian

Hi. I have purchsed Canon 550D yesterday. Alongwith body got lens EFS18-55mm IS (which is standard) and 4GB Sandisk Ultra memory card of Class6,30mb/s. I want to learn photography. Can expert guide me
1. Which are the lenses i should own (Asking cause one of my friend is returning from Japan in next week).
2. Which is a good memory card option i should go along. Getting class 10, 30 mb/s 16 gb for 839 INR.
Old 22nd September 2012, 17:07   #10564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes, I feel the Sigma also is good choice and looks to be a decent budget option. Are there any members who have used this lens and can comment on its performance?
Behemoth
You could also check out the Tokina AT-X 16-28mm F2.8 PRO FX for full frame.

link:
http://www.flipkart.com/tokina-at-x-...mdyk53jjz9gf89

I have not personally used this lens, but Tokina generally has very good reputation. The Sigma could also be a very good lens (depending on the sample), but personally I don't quite like the idea of goind 12mm wide on full frame wrt distortions and light falloff.
Old 22nd September 2012, 20:10   #10565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilless View Post
1. Which are the lenses i should own (Asking cause one of my friend is returning from Japan in next week).
2. Which is a good memory card option i should go along. Getting class 10, 30 mb/s 16 gb for 839 INR.
1. You say you are very new, so why dont you play around and experiment with the kit lens till you feel you really need more lens(by then you will know which lens you need by yourself)

2. After all the research i bought sandisk extreme class 10 SD card(16 GB) extreme seems to be better than ultra series. so far i am pretty happy with this. Again, 4GB stock card will let you shoot 400+ Jpegs or about 100 odd Raw images. 16GB would mean 1800 Jpeg and 450 raw shoots

I own 550D since 2-3 months for now and so far learning using the kit lens only. Even i am confused about which lens to buy first. but these are the ones you can think of

50 mm prime lens
zoom lens(55-250mm or 70-300mm) confused!!
100mm macro lens

Also i suggest you to attend the Canon go pro training if possible(i am still not finding time for it), to clear all your doubts

But in any case i am sure you can live with the kit lens for few months and learn the fundamentals first
Old 22nd September 2012, 21:34   #10566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
After a bit of thinking, I've shortlisted the 550D/600D or the 5100/3200. I'm inclined towards Canon as at this price point I've to get lenses with auto focus motor with Nikon. However, please point me to the right direction if I'm missing out on something.
Also, given that my photography is mostly potraits, low light, nature (not birding) and the occassional macro, please help me with the lenses as well keeping in mind that I'm still learning. TIA!

P.S. Should I be looking forward to something else at this price point? (Or maybe a small hike over my current budget, but please do remember I'm an amateur wrt to DSLRs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilless View Post
Hi. I have purchsed Canon 550D yesterday. Alongwith body got lens EFS18-55mm IS (which is standard) and 4GB Sandisk Ultra memory card of Class6,30mb/s. I want to learn photography. Can expert guide me
If you have the opportunity to get lenses for cheaper from Japan, then the 50mm 1.8 prime should definitely be in the shopping cart. Better still, pocket permitting, get the 35 mm 1.8 prime instead of the 50mm. You will more likely like the wider field of view from the 35mm. Having at least one fast lens in your kitty opens up a lot of creative opportunities that you wouldn't otherwise be able to explore.

Beyond a prime lens, I'd say go easy and slow with your lens portfolio. Only you can answer the question of which lenses to buy for yourself, and again, only after you've exhaustively explored all you can with your existing equipment. My suggestion would be to always realize that the imagination is usually the limitation, and equipment should always and only tail your imagination.

Dreamseller, I guess 60k is generous enough of a budget at this stage. Like you're already geared for, a well specced entry-level DSLR like the D5100 or 550D/600D + kit lens + prime lens + tripod should be a good buy until you find your answer to the popular question of which lenses. A sturdy tripod, I feel, should certainly be on your radar because without it, you simply cannot extract the fullest from even your cheap lenses and camera. I think a reasonably good one can be had for 10k. Just don't fall for the cheap, flimsy, unstable ones lest it topple over one day taking down your 40k camera+lens setup with it.

Last edited by skandyhere : 22nd September 2012 at 21:46.
Old 22nd September 2012, 23:16   #10567
Senior - BHPian

So the D600 seems to have a fantastic sensor with great low light capabilities and DR, as per the reports trickling in.

Can't shortlist it for my upgrade since it will give ~ 10.6 MPs in DX mode, a step back from the D90. Need the DX reach since the cost of getting FX lenses that give similar reach is very high. That way the D800 seems a better bet.

If and when the D400 or D7100/7200 is launched, I am hoping that Nikon would have done appropriate tweaks to the sensor - to go to the next level of DX high ISO capabilities.
Old 23rd September 2012, 08:45   #10568
Senior - BHPian

Reverse mounting of prime lens

Has anyone tried this ?

http://digital-photography-school.co...ro-photography

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forum...ad.php?t=43772
Old 23rd September 2012, 14:14   #10569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
Dreamseller, I guess 60k is generous enough of a budget at this stage. Like you're already geared for, a well specced entry-level DSLR like the D5100 or 550D/600D + kit lens + prime lens + tripod should be a good buy until you find your answer to the popular question of which lenses. A sturdy tripod, I feel, should certainly be on your radar because without it, you simply cannot extract the fullest from even your cheap lenses and camera. I think a reasonably good one can be had for 10k. Just don't fall for the cheap, flimsy, unstable ones lest it topple over one day taking down your 40k camera+lens setup with it.
Thanks for the heads up on the tripod man. I too was of the opinion that my current tripod is best left to deal with the bridge cam. Anyway happy shooting!

P.S. Nice signature!
Old 23rd September 2012, 14:47   #10570
Senior - BHPian

For any people who are new to photography and wish to learn the basics I would wholly recommend the video lectures by Oksana. Very very well done lectures and the basics like aperture or ISO etc are very succinctly explained. The link to first lecture is:
Old 24th September 2012, 09:59   #10571
BHPian

Bought a Nikon D5100.

thinking of memory upgrades.
which is better?
  • SDHC or
  • microsd with SDHC adaptor

saw real good deals on 16gb class 10 for ~850 bucks.
Old 24th September 2012, 11:36   #10572
Senior - BHPian

Bought a Canon 1100D for a friend on Saturday. It was a combo deal that came with apart from the body, the following:

1. 4GB SD card
2. 18-55 IS kit lens
3. 55-250 IS telezoom.

Also got two 58mm UV filters for the lens & a bag to carry the gear.

Total damages - Rs.32000/- with bill & two years of warranty. Opinions..?
Old 24th September 2012, 11:39   #10573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
Bought a Nikon D5100.

which is better?
  • SDHC or

whichever one you buy, check the speeds. Go for the ones with at least 30 MB/s (Read/Write). Will help you in burst mode operation. And congrats on the D5100. How much did you pay for it and where did you buy it from?
Old 24th September 2012, 12:14   #10574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
Bought a Nikon D5100.

which is better?
  • SDHC or
I currently use a class 8 microSD with adapter in my camera. I feel this will be of use to those who have external sd card slots in their phones - they can shoot and upload straight with their phones.
Old 24th September 2012, 19:22   #10575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
How much did you pay for it and where did you buy it from?
thanks.
im planning to get the sandisk class 10 with 30mb/s .
got the D5100 from ebay for 28.9k with freebies.
screwed my over a week between Canon 550D and Nikon D5100 and thus lost a good cheaper bargain in ebay(read 27.8k for nikon).
couldn't lose this deal and jumped in for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
external sd card slots in their phones - they can shoot and upload straight with their phones.
thanks.
i just asked as i was doubtful if the adaptor would give in with occasional use along with the microsd.
(had such a kingston 8gb adpator and card months back and went bust in 2 weeks)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks