Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2012, 13:50   #10591
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
could you share the Amazon link please?
It is pretty simple. Go to amazon and search for Canon T3i. You will get the deals on the same page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
If you're going to be using this in India for most of the first 2 years, why would you want to risk the enormous hassles with shipping your camera in case of trouble and risking further damage in transit besides having the camera unavailable for a much longer time? You could perhaps buy international warranty (do check that option with them), but it would add a minimum of 5000/- more.

I'm sure you would've also considered a product that well parallels the T3i while exceeding it in certain departments (of course, it also falls short of the T3i in certain other ways) - Nikon's D5100. Why not that?
Initially I was planning to buy here in India. Finally turned out that the offer is too tempting to let it pass. Secondly either me or one of my friends will get me the camera. Lesser risk than the transit option. I did consider the Nikon parallels. Couple of reason to side with Canon
1. Already used to canon cameras - though point and shoot
2. Share lens with other close pals. (they own canon dslrs)
Old 28th September 2012, 14:38   #10592
BHPian

Hey Friends,

Is it a good idea to get a new DLSR from UK? This will be bought by a colleague and he will bring it back here. I am looking at a 550D/600D or if I get a good deal then a 60D.

If its a good option then where should I/He be looking for a good deal? He will be around Heathrow itself (We work together on the IT of British Airport Authorities)

Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 28th September 2012, 15:29   #10593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster

Any suggestions are welcome.
Hey zenster why do you want to buy a body from outside. You will not get any warranty benefits in India. The price difference won't be that much really.

Better buy the body here in India and buy lenses there as lenses carry international warranty.
Old 28th September 2012, 18:07   #10594
Senior - BHPian

UK Vat is quite high, I think about 18%. If you process VAT return, then they will let the Indian customs know and you may be asked to pay customs here. Al in all it is better to buy here.
Old 28th September 2012, 20:51   #10595
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy
UK Vat is quite high, I think about 18%. If you process VAT return, then they will let the Indian customs know and you may be asked to pay customs here. Al in all it is better to buy here.
I think UK VAT is 20% nowadays.
Old 28th September 2012, 21:16   #10596
BHPian

Canon EOS rebate details.

http://www.usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets...212_rebate.pdf

This is directly given by Canon itself and valid till 6-Oct for camera bought in US.
Old 29th September 2012, 09:42   #10597
BHPian

Guys, I am looking for an entry level DSLR for myself. I just know a few basics about DSLR photography and have never owned a DSLR before. My budget is less than 40K for a camera + kit lens + tripod. I know that a super zoom point and shoot camera wont be of much use to me as it will be lying in my home in a corner like my old cybershot so hence i want to buy a DSLR so that i can learn more.

The choices that i have are :

1) Canon EOS 550 - 34K
2) Canon EOS 600 - 38.5K
3) Nikon D3200 - Price not checked

This price includes everything in the box and a 16GB memory card and a basic tripod.

What do you suggest?

PS - I wont be looking at any other brands apart from Canon or Nikon.
Old 29th September 2012, 11:11   #10598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan
Guys, I am looking for an entry level DSLR for myself. I just know a few basics about DSLR photography and have never owned a DSLR before. My budget is less than 40K for a camera + kit lens + tripod. I know that a super zoom point and shoot camera wont be of much use to me as it will be lying in my home in a corner like my old cybershot so hence i want to buy a DSLR so that i can learn more.

1) Canon EOS 550 - 34K
2) Canon EOS 600 - 38.5K

This price includes everything in the box and a 16GB memory card and a basic tripod.

What do you suggest?

You can add nikon d5100 to your list as well. It looks pale in terms of mp count when compared with 3200 but it has powerful features

About canon 600 i feel 550 has everything except flip screen so save your money there you can get a lens.

My suggestions 550d or d5100
Old 29th September 2012, 11:47   #10599
Senior - BHPian

M5_Fan

For 40k you can get a Nikon D5100 body and a 35mm f/1.8G and you are set! This Nikon has the same sensor as the much more expensive D7000 (and is supposedly the best crop sensor out there) and 35mm lens is superb (and quite inexpensive as well). Later on you can add a zoom lens of your own choice (tele zoom if you want to wander around in forests or a normal one if majorly it is for travels etc).

Sadly Canon does not have an equivalent glass to the Nikon 35mm (or not as cheap). But if you have friends with Canon SLRs who would be willing to share lenses with you then you can consider Canon as well.
Old 29th September 2012, 13:00   #10600
Senior - BHPian

Would you like to take a look at my post #:10570?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post

1) Canon EOS 550 - 34K
2) Canon EOS 600 - 38.5K

What do you suggest?

Old 29th September 2012, 14:19   #10601
BHPian

M5_fan

suggest you to get the Nikon D5100 and get lens as per your choice once you master the DSLR.

seems the best bet among your listed choices.
Old 29th September 2012, 15:17   #10602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy

You can add nikon d5100 to your list as well. It looks pale in terms of mp count when compared with 3200 but it has powerful features

About canon 600 i feel 550 has everything except flip screen so save your money there you can get a lens.

My suggestions 550d or d5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx
M5_Fan

For 40k you can get a Nikon D5100 body and a 35mm f/1.8G and you are set! This Nikon has the same sensor as the much more expensive D7000 (and is supposedly the best crop sensor out there) and 35mm lens is superb (and quite inexpensive as well). Later on you can add a zoom lens of your own choice (tele zoom if you want to wander around in forests or a normal one if majorly it is for travels etc).

Sadly Canon does not have an equivalent glass to the Nikon 35mm (or not as cheap). But if you have friends with Canon SLRs who would be willing to share lenses with you then you can consider Canon as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj
M5_fan

suggest you to get the Nikon D5100 and get lens as per your choice once you master the DSLR.

seems the best bet among your listed choices.
Thanks guys, but the D5100 is most likely going to be discontinued and i have heard that it has a sony sensor. I am in the process of distancing myself from all things that have 'sony' written on them.

Btw what is the price of nikon 5100 with kit lens?
Old 29th September 2012, 15:53   #10603
Senior - BHPian

Back button focus for shooting action/wildlife?

How many here use back button focus - dedicated AF-ON or configuring the AE-L/AF-L button?

I have been experimenting, not fully convinced that it makes sense for shooting wildlife/movement/taking shots when you only have 1 sec to get that shot. Maybe it is a matter of practice. Does it make sense when one has to react quickly or track a moving creature? Using a camera like D90 that doesn't have the most sophisticated auto-focus?

This is one experimental shot - it was buzzing around at 16-18 feet distance, shot at 300mm and then heavily cropped. The back seems to be in decent focus, the shutter speed was not fast enough to freeze the wings. I pressed AF-ON once and took a burst of 2 photos while it was moving. I know it is not sharp or clear, but my objective was to take a shot of a fast moving and unpredictable creature and see if I can focus using back button approach.

The DSLR Thread-dsc_7488.jpg

Another one - the squirrel was bobbing up and down as it ate that berry. Was shooting through intervening leaves, twigs etc. Cropped and sharpened image. Well, to be honest, I have managed to oversharpen it - while experimenting in GIMP.

The DSLR Thread-csc_7501.jpg

Now these two shots were taken in difficult conditions. They came out ok. Would it be worth it spending many hours making back button focus instinctive? Currently half-shutter focus has become instinctive - will have to unlearn that.

P.S. another learning lately - avoid spot metering in Nikon unless the contrast and/or intervening objects really call for it (I have been experimenting with Spot for a while now when shooting wildlife). Matrix does a decent job most of the time. And the newer cameras have far more sophisticated metering and DR. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by nilanjanray : 29th September 2012 at 16:19.
Old 29th September 2012, 18:00   #10604
BHPian

Hi Mates,

I have been wanting to get myself a DSLR for sometime now and GITEX 2012 just presented an opportunity. For my needs, I had researched over most photography-related sites / user's recommendations and had finalised on three models: 1) Nikon 3100, 2) Nikon 3200 and 3) Canon EOS1100D. The Users that I had spoken to had suggested Nikon since I was only beginning to get myself involved in professional photography. I had wanted it for higher resolution pictures for my products that I market under our own brand. Many a times, the brochures turn out very well but the image quality left much to be desired.

Thus when I had visited the stalls at GITEX 2012 (its supposedly the biggest electronics sale event for the Middle-East, FYI) this morning, I was determined I would buy one. But the decision was between the Nikon 3100 and 3200. After having consulted with a number of sales persons, I had decided on the 3100. Would suffice and I didn't want to complicate things for myself with a higher model. And there was a budget as well. Accordingly, I got the Nikon D3100 from one of the retailers for AED2699. The freebies were: 1) 55-200mm Lens, 2) 8+4GB Memory Cards, 3) Camera Bag and, 4) 32" Toshiba LCD TV. It had the 18-55mm Lens as standard. The product comes with a 1 Year International warranty as standard too. Did I get a good deal mates and did I make the right choice under the circumstances? Kindly respond.

Cheers
Champ
Old 29th September 2012, 18:22   #10605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post

Btw what is the price of nikon 5100 with kit lens?
M5_fan, I recently bought the Nikon D5100 with 18-55 VR kit lens for Rs.29999/- from zoomin.com. Recently I saw some deals going on in ebay for the same camea at 29K. you may want to check those.

I am also investing on the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens from flipkart at Rs.12775.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks