Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2012, 13:27   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Micromax A100 Cellphone Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Nicky, Can you pl. post your review of your A110 as a user?

I am interested in hearing about

1. audio quality (both volume & clarity) when you
a) use it normally (with holding the phone near ur ear),
b) with speaker-on,
c) with a headset / earphone plugged in (which came with the phone) &
d) bluetooth?
Although my answers are for the A100, I didn't find that much improvement/change in the A110 (owned by a colleague), but Nicky's views might validate that.

a) Volume is good, clarity not 100%.
b) Volume/clarity way better than many other phones (including my previous BB phone)
c) Stock headset sucks. But it is more of being a cheaper headset, a good aftermarket headset should clear this issue.
d) Haven't really used my bluetooth a lot, but frankly didn't find any difference between this phone and my previous BB (while using the bluetooth headset)

Quote:
2. Signal reception when inside a building where signal strength drops?

I had a micromax (one of those Q* series phones with QWERTY & Wifi) and the audio quality was just pathetic and too low for outdoors and very feeble even when inside.
I owned one of those cheap qwerty phones a few years back - I understand your point on the audio/network issues. Frankly the A100/A110 doesn't have those issues. Only similarity as I mentioned earlier is the clarity of the phone, which can still be improved. But definitely better than those qwerty phones.

Haven't found any issues on network coverage yet. Hope this helps.
Old 3rd November 2012, 18:38   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Nicky, Can you pl. post your review of your A110 as a user?
a. if you mean call quality then it's really good. if you mean music then it's not so loud but quality seems to be OK as can't judge music play in this mode
b. when speaker is on, it's not very loud but quality is good. i played high beats punjabi song.
c. headsets are loud but quality is not impressive honestly but i am using my iphone headsets and quality is certainly improved
d. bluetooth works seamlessly with blackberry, laptop and other android phones. haven't tested with other phones.

2. i tested it with my blackberry and xperia ray for signal strength. they were all same in terms of signal strengths (all with vodafone sims) in my house's inner most area where i rarely get 1 bar signal.
in my lift all 3 lost signals.

i have just ordered 16gb micro sd card class 10 as i am already running out of storage space.

Posting one more finding based on my usage of A110.
GPS lock is really not upto the mark. it's really slow.
if you are under clear sky (there should not be any hindrance of trees or neighbor's terrace) then it takes 30-40 seconds.
if you are inside your home then forget about gps signals, even if you are on you terrace it won't pick signals.

Note for Mods: please merge this post with earlier one.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th December 2012 at 13:30. Reason: One logical post
Old 12th December 2012, 13:12   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Haven't found any issues on network coverage yet. Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
i have just ordered 16gb micro sd card class 10 as i am already running out of storage space.
Hello Ninjatali & Nicky,

Somehow I always believed in buying cell phones less than Rs. 15000.

Now Micromax A110 seems really promising. Do you both recommend others to buy this phone? I am looking for ownership for next 1 / 1.5 years.

Thanks,
Old 12th December 2012, 14:21   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Now Micromax A110 seems really promising. Do you both recommend others to buy this phone? I am looking for ownership for next 1 / 1.5 years.
I have been using this phone 1 and a half month. Everything about this phone is good. Its not the best, but for 10K, it is VFM. The only issue I have is battery. 2000 mAH battery takes forever to charge, and once charged to 100%, the charge starts depleting fast with minor use or no use at all.

Agreed that 5 inch display consumes more power (when in use) but a locked phone should give you a decent amount of usage/standby time. On a weekday, I do not have to worry about charging the battery, its the weekend that scares me, when I am out.

I had ordered from Flipkart, when I complained, I got a replacement. to Flipkart service. The replacement set worked very good for a week but now I am back to square one. Will call them again.

Last edited by Farukh : 12th December 2012 at 14:23.
Old 12th December 2012, 14:27   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks,
Jignesh,
If battery life is a concern, you can consider this :

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/leno...31/?pos=0;0;33

Comes with a big 2500 mAH battery. And the same chipset as the A110 , Mediatek 6577, with a dual core processor.
Old 12th December 2012, 16:25   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Jignesh,
If battery life is a concern, you can consider this :

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/leno...31/?pos=0;0;33

Comes with a big 2500 mAH battery. And the same chipset as the A110 , Mediatek 6577, with a dual core processor.
Is that a real Lenovo ? Snapdeal is a terrible place to buy. All 4 of my purchases from there ended in disaster.
Old 12th December 2012, 17:10   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Ninjatali & Nicky,

Thanks,
Yup,
Worth the money in my opinion. But keep your expectations in check with regards to the service centers. Thankfully I haven't found the need to get in touch with them, but I know what to expect.

The product is absolutely VFM. A colleague got himself the A110 after validating my MM A100 for a week. Another colleague with a Note again and again wonders if the additional 20k he plonked on his phone was worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
I have been using this phone 1 and a half month. Everything about this phone is good. Its not the best, but for 10K, it is VFM. The only issue I have is battery. 2000 mAH battery takes forever to charge, and once charged to 100%, the charge starts depleting fast with minor use or no use at all.
Well I generally put it for charging at night, and use it extensively during the day. Me being a music buff, the phone is playing songs all the time, with 3G services activated all day. The phone lasts the full day till date. If my memory serves me right, it takes around 3-4 hours for full charging.

Quote:
I had ordered from Flipkart, when I complained, I got a replacement. to Flipkart service. The replacement set worked very good for a week but now I am back to square one. Will call them again.
What was the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Err - any reliable reviews for this? First time I'm hearing of it.
Old 12th December 2012, 17:32   #53
BHPian

Quote:
What was the problem?
Battery drains out pretty quick. I will check for one more time tomorrow to see how long it lasts.
Old 12th December 2012, 18:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Is that a real Lenovo ? Snapdeal is a terrible place to buy. All 4 of my purchases from there ended in disaster.
Quote:
Err - any reliable reviews for this? First time I'm hearing of it.
Very much a real Lenovo.

http://shopap.lenovo.com/in/en/products/smartphones/

I do want to get one, because of the promise of an above average battery life.

The shop owners here havent heard of it. But then, they havent heard of a lot of things.

esteem_lover : And I do agree , even my experience with snapdeal was poor. Its currently listed only on snapdeal, ebay and homeshop18.

EDIT: I am sitting on the fence wrt to the MMX A110. Its VFM factor is hard to ignore, but then, so is the less than top shelf brand!

Last edited by sajo : 12th December 2012 at 18:52. Reason: See in line.
Old 13th December 2012, 12:46   #55
BHPian

I bought MMX A110 as my Diwali gift and overall experience is satisfactory. But it is the price point which gets the 'wow' factor.

+ Great price ~9,500/- on the street
+ Excellent large screen and display quality and brightness
+ Adequate performance and memory. I have installed several apps and running them w/o issues.
+ Excellent Dual SIM feature integration
+ 3G support
+ Battery performance is 'OK' - I say this because no smart phone really has 'excellent' battery life. You have to charge it once a day or at least once in 2 days.

- Low call volume. If the guy at the other end has a poor mic then it the problem is compounded.
- Low ringer volume.
- Low speaker phone volume (you get the picture)
- Slow GPS positioning

Charging is slow if the phone is on, but fast when off. I am happy to answer any other questions.
Old 13th December 2012, 16:17   #56
BHPian

Micromax has released V2 firmware update for A110 phone.
below are the download details from official server and change logs.

ftp link: hxxp://://sts.micromaxinfo.com:22/mxlive
username - mxlive
password - M!cr0m@xlive

Software release notes:
1. M! Zone+ and M! Live(http://mimicromax.com) applications are integrated.
2. Browser homepage is replaced with http://mimicromax.com
3. Dialpad issue fixed.
4. SD card memory changed from 2GB to 1GB. This 1GB added to internal storage for apps installation.
5. GPS issue is fixed. now locks much faster.

more info can be discussed in xda forum.

Note: personally i haven't flashed it yet. will do it on saturday.

Last edited by Nicky : 13th December 2012 at 16:19.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:46   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
- Low call volume. If the guy at the other end has a poor mic then it the problem is compounded.
- Low ringer volume.
- Low speaker phone volume (you get the picture)
- Slow GPS positioning
These are the primary reasons (plus the battery issues) why I am not jumping in to buy this phone. Even though the battery capacity is almost 1.5 or 2 times that of other phones, it seem to drain out very quick.

I wonder how is the quality of Karbonn phones (e.g. A9+ or A21 - which are also china made I believe) on these parameters? I read somewhere that Karbonn quality is a notch higher than that of Micromax.
Old 14th December 2012, 15:54   #58
BHPian

Quote:
These are the primary reasons (plus the battery issues) why I am not jumping in to buy this phone. Even though the battery capacity is almost 1.5 or 2 times that of other phones, it seem to drain out very quick.

I wonder how is the quality of Karbonn phones (e.g. A9+ or A21 - which are also china made I believe) on these parameters? I read somewhere that Karbonn quality is a notch higher than that of Micromax.
While it is an issue without doubt, as an overall package A110 represents an excellent purchase. Remember, you are buying it because you value Android/Smartphone features as well. And it has to be seen in context of your budget as well. My own impression of Karbonn is not favourable.
Old 14th December 2012, 23:50   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
While it is an issue without doubt, as an overall package A110 represents an excellent purchase. Remember, you are buying it because you value Android/Smartphone features as well. And it has to be seen in context of your budget as well. My own impression of Karbonn is not favourable.
My Cousin own Micromax A110 White and he is happy with the handset.
He gets 10 hours of Battery life all the time connected to GPRS (2G mode), Mails, FaceBook, Whatapp. We have identified 2 issues for the cell but they are negligible for the price we pay.
1) GPS Location issue (Heard this has been solved by Xda developers - yet to try).
2) Cell Hangs when on Charging
Old 18th December 2012, 07:33   #60
BHPian

Looks like it wont stop at 5 inches :P

http://www.saholic.com/mobile-phones...nn-a30-1005558

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks