Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2006, 08:54   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfikar
2 of my room mate's are using 2 IBM laptop and i shoud let you know it becomes very hot.

i use to work for DELL i know how their products are....
As I mentioned, IBM notebooks were best. In recent years it has come down in quality, may be the lenovo effect. I am typing this from a 3 year old Thinkpad G40 which is rock solid, I have never called support.

My knowledge about DELL notebook is little outdated by 2-3 years, I haven't bought any after moving to India. Before that the DELL notebooks were below par in fit & finish. Ask anybody who has used DELL & IBM side by side. I was routinely using IBM, DELL, SONY and HP notebooks side by side. Kept away from Tosibha since they were more expensive and less configurable.

BTW, I have more server purchase experience than desktops and notebooks. On the server side, both IBM and DELL are equals, rock solid products.
Old 1st June 2006, 10:33   #17
BHPian

Dell has exemplary support service, (regarding one-day repair plan), but I'm not so sure regarding their products. They are terribly heavy, extremely inefficient, loaded and bundled with crappy "freeware" which nobody would ever possibly use, and incredibly buggy.
VAIO isn't heavy, but it is inefficient, and loaded with crap before you even start up your computer for the first time.

The only two brands I would even consider buying from are IBM & Apple or possibly Alienware if it came to India. Although Apple currently has a very bad service set-up but with their plans to increase I hope it becomes better.
Old 1st June 2006, 11:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

90% of the computers in my company are Dells including Servers, Desktops & Laptops. Serevice is good. Issues are fixed in a short period.

Even the employees get discount offers for their personal purchases.
Old 1st June 2006, 12:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
I am planning to get a notebook from the US. Wanted to go AMD, but the 500$ discounts on DELL over here are too tempting. A dual core 60GB for 599/699 etc.,
So I was wondering wether their warranty is valid worldwide or not?
No TSK the Dell's sold in the US do not have world wide warranty coverage. You can ask for it specifically but I reckon it would turn out to be a very expensive affair. If you still decide to get one I do have some sources who can arrange free service for you here but I cannot guarantee for how long!
Old 1st June 2006, 12:13   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprabhakar
In one word... Excellent! ...
I've heard some calling Dell's hell, but for me... it's swell Dell!!!
Totally agree.

I bought a Dell Inspiron 4150 Laptop while I was in Belgium. And when I came down to Chennai, the TFT screen conked off due to no reason at all. I called the local Dell service centre (with Wipro). And the guy arrives at my office next day, promptly replaces the entire screen and the connector, at NO COST (perhaps I was still covered under the 1 year warranty). Later, when I realised that the screen alone was worth close to 20K INR, I was thanking my lucky stars for having bought a Dell.

My friend who had bought a Toshiba, had to shell out close to 10k for getting his combo-drive replaced in India - they said 'sorry sir, but we dont cover items bought overseas'.

I now have a Dell Latitude D610 given by my office, and am absolutely pleased with it.

By far, the only Dell laptops that I have heard produce too much heat were the P4 desktop chip versions - and they were very bulky too. All the versions with Centrino chips have no heating problems at all.

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 1st June 2006 at 12:17.
Old 1st June 2006, 12:23   #21
Team-BHP Support

I think the message is clear. DELL support in India simply rocks.
Old 1st June 2006, 13:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

As I read this thread, new boxes from Dell are arriving at my office.
Old 1st June 2006, 18:34   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess?
Dell has exemplary support service, (regarding one-day repair plan), but I'm not so sure regarding their products. They are terribly heavy, extremely inefficient, loaded and bundled with crappy "freeware" which nobody would ever possibly use, and incredibly buggy.
VAIO isn't heavy, but it is inefficient, and loaded with crap before you even start up your computer for the first time.

The only two brands I would even consider buying from are IBM & Apple or possibly Alienware if it came to India. Although Apple currently has a very bad service set-up but with their plans to increase I hope it becomes better.
Alienware has been taken up by DELL. Why don't you consider the HP NX6100 series..they rock !!
Old 1st June 2006, 22:33   #24
Team-BHP Support

Dell support in Pune is outsourced to a company named Unisys which is handled by Wipro. We moved all office purchases to Dell last year and haven't looked elsewhere since. I am happy with their support.
Old 2nd June 2006, 19:43   #25
BHPian

Well, Dell is good in Laptops, Why u wana take Desktop.

Best bet will be to take an assembled one. You can also have a look at Lenovo.. They have got amazing looking desktops.

Dell rocks in laptop,, D600 & D400 are beauty..
Old 2nd June 2006, 19:49   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash2757

Best bet will be to take an assembled one. You can also have a look at Lenovo.. They have got amazing looking desktops.

Dell rocks in laptop,, D600 & D400 are beauty..
Their Desktops rock in performance too. I have a Dimension 8400 which is 2 years old and still rocks. Sadly, they stopped selling the Dimension Desktops in India after I bought mine
Old 2nd June 2006, 19:57   #27
BHPian

Since we are discussing Dell systems, there's a very attractive 24" Flat Panel Display that Dell is selling for 40K. What do you think? Is it worth a Buy?
Old 2nd June 2006, 20:16   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash2757
This is a corporate purchase, and I wouldn't buy a laptop when I need a desktop. I need 160GB or more disk space and 19" monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu
Since we are discussing Dell systems, there's a very attractive 24" Flat Panel Display that Dell is selling for 40K. What do you think? Is it worth a Buy?
I think that is off-topic. The purpose of the thread has been served. Closing thread.
Old 23rd November 2010, 14:35   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Must admit : I am HIGHLY impressed with Dell.

The volume knob of my keyboard was acting funny, and 1/2 the alphabet key markings had faded away. This is a 2.75 year old Dell Optiplex system with a 3 year warranty. Spoke to Dell Support last evening at 1700 hours. A couple of minutes back, someone from Dell arrived at my office with a brand new keyboard (same model).

Awesome stuff! Definitely a repeat customer, Dell!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 23:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: How is DELL support in India

As far as your DT or LT is under warranty or in extended warranty, the service is superb with online and onsite too.They try to fix on telephone support.If it fails they send the Engineer to your door step.Strictly the timing is 8 to 6PM only.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks