Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2015, 17:51   #721
BHPian

Re: Which Anti-virus software do you use ?

To know more about the Equation Group refer the below article from arstechnica.

How “omnipotent” hackers tied to NSA hid for 14 years—and were found at last

There is even a link to download the exhaustive report published by Kaspersky Security.
Old 18th February 2015, 18:21   #722
BHPian

Using Windows Defender on my Windows 8.1 laptop. No issues so far.
Old 19th February 2015, 13:04   #723
BHPian

Windows Defender isn’t effective. If you’re relying solely on Windows Defender for your antivirus protection, you’re anything but defended.Read the below review from Toms Guide.

Best Antivirus Software and Apps 2015
Old 19th February 2015, 22:31   #724
BANNED

Bitdefender Internet Security is good , using it for last 5 years, 3 yr licence is around 750 Rs for 2nd line malware I have Malwarebytes antimalware paid version.
Old 3rd March 2015, 23:12   #725
BHPian

Have been using Quick Heal Total Security since the last 3 years. It costs around Rs.1200/-, for 1 user(1 Year). IMO it's quite overpriced but does it's job very well. Didn't face any problem in the past 3yrs. Didn't have to format my PC even once after I started using this Anti-virus, It does keep my PC protected.
Old 6th April 2015, 09:04   #726
BHPian

Friends,

My Laptop is infested with cloudscout, this has made impossible for me to use my laptop. I have tried to remove this unwanted cloudscout, but fail to get rid of it. Can anybody tell me how to get rid of this software.

thanks in advance.
Old 21st October 2020, 17:37   #727
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Just bought a new HP laptop with Windows 10. Was on the lookout for an anti-virus to install before I start using it. The last post on this thread is 5yrs ago! I'm currently using Avast Free Anti-Virus on my decade old Windows XP laptop, no such virus problems faced in last couple of years.
Old 21st October 2020, 18:44   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Just bought a new HP laptop with Windows 10. Was on the lookout for an anti-virus to install before I start using it.
Windows Defender is more than enough now. I have stopped using any third party software since the last 5 years. Basic browsing etiquette like avoiding suspicious sites, refraining from torrent to download programs and using an ad-blocker ensure that your system is clean.
Unless you don't know what you are doing online, there's really no need for an anti-virus software. And I'm guessing that's not the case here.
Old 26th October 2020, 19:02   #729
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Windows Defender is more than enough now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil_Alto View Post
Have been using Quick Heal Total Security since the last 3 years. It costs around Rs.1200/-, for 1 user(1 Year). IMO it's quite overpriced but does it's job very well. Didn't face any problem in the past 3yrs. Didn't have to format my PC even once after I started using this Anti-virus, It does keep my PC protected.
I do have basic browsing etiquette but if I remember correctly I did face issues maybe 5+ yrs back on my Windows XP.
The office computer guy has recommended Quick Heal Anti-virus.

https://www.quickheal.co.in/quick-he...ernet-security
Old 26th October 2020, 19:19   #730
BHPian

Quick-heal is only recommended here in India mainly because it can still run on old Windows XP pcs. Most good AVs have stopped support for XP.

Am using BitDefender since 2013 and recently took the 3 years extension as they are offering big October discount and they also are the cheapest among the good AVs. Totally worth it and it is one of the best AVs out there.
Old 28th October 2020, 13:59   #731

I started with QuickHeal and moved to Bitdefender. Just completed 6 years, and going to renew for another 3. It has been a pleasant experience so far.

As others have mentioned, Windows Defender has matured over the years and is good in itself. But IMO, there are many users who are not comfortable in this space, and would be better off with an antivirus.

Take this for example. My distant relative thought of not taking an antivirus, and went with in-built Defender. His son opened up some gaming sites, and something got in. This messed up the computer. He bought an antivirus next, and tried to recover but it never went to the state it was in before. Finally, it had to be formatted. He lost some precious pictures which he didn't backup.

I had been in the same place, and lost some pictures of my Dad. I sweared not to do it anymore.
knan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 14:15   #732
BHPian

Used to buy "Kaspersky Internet security 1PC 3 Years for around 1k" 3 times in 9 years but now since I don't use the internet as carefree as before I use Kaspersky Free Cloud Antivirus which is doing pretty great.

I didn't use a lot of the features of the paid version. With this free one to I haven't faced a problem "yet".
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 14:39   #733
BHPian

Please suggest a good antivirus for home laptop. Config: Windows 10 64 bit, 16gb ram, 1tb ssd. Laptop will be used for netbanking transactions, so need maximum security.
Old 4th June 2021, 15:05   #734
Senior - BHPian

Using Kaspersky total internet security for the past few years. Pretty good i would think.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 11:31   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Please suggest a good antivirus for home laptop. Config: Windows 10 64 bit, 16gb ram, 1tb ssd. Laptop will be used for netbanking transactions, so need maximum security.
If you have a licensed Windows, you already have a Windows Security built in. The anti virus part is called as Windows Defender. Again it has a full featured firewall baked in. In all these years, I find the Microsoft security suite is unobtrusive, has a lower memory foot print and catches 95 % of issues.
Spend some time in setting it up properly and it will do the job. If you have a dangerous online behavior, create a virtual machine and use its Edge browser. Expunge the VM after you are done.
Prowler is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks