Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2006, 12:29   #1
BHPian

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Hi all,

I'm interested in immediately purchasing a 32" LCD TV for home. I've seen the Samsung, LG, Sony, Sharp and even Videocon (seems they are in collaboration with Toshiba)!

I'm currently tilting towards the Samsung Bordeaux (70k MRP + Tata Sky + free fitting) or LG (65 Exhibition price + free fitting). The others were not as impressive..either too costly or lacking performance. Would like to check Panasonic and maybe Philips too.

Any quick suggestions or reviews on which will be a good 32" LCD buy will be appreciated.

Cheers,
Spyder
Old 13th December 2006, 14:18   #2
BHPian

Hee... after putting up a 29inc flat crt tv thread and junked that idea, starting on this topic was my next logical step.

currently, i am roaming around showroom with this idea... just shortlisted between sony and samsung models. Any feedback/review/user exp on the 32inch lcd is welcome.

Spyder, where was that samsung deal from? bangalore?? Also check out futurebazaar.com. they are online portal for big bazaar, and have better prize bargains.
Old 13th December 2006, 14:31   #3
BHPian

I have the Samsung Bordeaux, i am quite happy with it. Though you have to keep in mind that HD capable LCDs have a much higher res than regular TV transmission. Also the aspect ratio is wide. End result the regular tv looks like crap and either you have to crop the sides to get the proper 4:3 image or zoom it and that makes the image a little pixelated. So you should be prepared for such image problems while watching TV.
Ideally you also want to get a DVD player with an HDMI port to take advantage of the high res digital image from dvd to tv.

Sony Bravias (in my opinion) are excellent in quality and features but they are also more expensive.
Old 13th December 2006, 14:53   #4
BHPian

Krish, the Samsung offer is in Hyd. But the 70k is the new marked down mrp of the bordeaux range. You shld be able to get that in blore too. My folks were mentioning that there's seems to be a LCD price war happending out there, seeing the many discount ads in the paper everyday. Check them out and let me know if u find anything interesting.

looked at the 26' too, but they seemed a bit small, so think i'll skip and jump to 32'. :-)

Ankur, the samsung looks nice and priced well. there's a hitachi 32' available for 75k. will need to go check it out sometime. But apparently its made in thailand..only the higher priced ones are made in japan. Hear a lot of the korean jap rivalry when i speak to dealers.
Old 13th December 2006, 21:43   #5
BHPian

32" lcd tv

hi.
I had finalized the plans for 32" bord. samsung but ended up buying 42" samsung plasma (model no. 42c7s). Though the resolution supported is less compared to lcd but the contrast ratio is double and the pic quality using tata sky is better on a plasma compared to lcd. this is my personal opinion.

u can check out the comparsion between plasma and lcd on net. just consider that we still get standard definition input avaliable in india and watching it on a relativley low resolution plasma would be much better compared to a high resolution lcd.

my pic 42" plasma(480p)
Old 13th December 2006, 23:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Ankur, the samsung looks nice and priced well. there's a hitachi 32' available for 75k. will need to go check it out sometime. But apparently its made in thailand..only the higher priced ones are made in japan. Hear a lot of the korean jap rivalry when i speak to dealers.
A big issue with a lot of these TVs will be the ability to service and availability of spares. Hitachi in my opinion is not that well setup in India and will certainly have problems. A friend had a problem with his 42" plasma early this year and was able to get the problem rectified after 2 months. Companies like Samsung and LG have entire assembly plants here and even if they arent making that particular model here, they have the necessary supply chain in place to source parts from their other factories. If you arent that concerned about this issue then also look at Sharp Aquos, excellent TVs.

cheers.
Old 13th December 2006, 23:42   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmm,
look at the Sony Bravia V32 LCD TV.
Its quite cool and decently priced. We bought ours gry for 65K (i think).
Cheers
Old 13th December 2006, 23:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

all LCD are not the same. The different resolution levels are 720i, 1080i and 1080p which is the best. OF course its not possible to check this unless you have HD broadcast.

Can use a Blue Ray DVD player to check the quality.
Old 14th December 2006, 01:08   #9
BHPian

get the samsung.....it is the best of the lot.

Samsung manufactures LCD panels for sony plus the samsung has a higher contrast ratio and brightness than any sony bravia.

Dont touch the LG, people have reported numerous problems.
Old 14th December 2006, 08:07   #10
Team-BHP Support

70K where in bangalore. Suggest not to go to Samsung showrooms. Go to a Pai's or even better Adishwars. Youll still get all the freebies and a warranty and can bargain the price down to 65K easily for the bordeaux.

Even I'm planning to buy one but in 40". Samsung just released a new range upgrade to the bordeaux called mosel. These are true HD i.e. 1920*1080 res and 6000:1 contrast ratio.

As RPM has mentioned Sony doesnt make it's own panels it sources them from Samsumg which provides the older gen panels to them. After that Sony incorporates their Bravia engine into the TV.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 14th December 2006 at 08:09.
Old 14th December 2006, 08:42   #11

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

am looking at 42" lcd and plasma tv's.the lcd costs 1,30,000 while the plasma cost 80k.why such a huge difference in prices.both prices are for 42" tv's.
which one is better.
my main requirement is that the cble connection should be clear(dish tv) and an occasional movie on the regular dvd players(nothing fancy).
which one suits my priorities.am not looking at connecting it to a blue ray etc in the near future.whats the life span of both these tv's.
Old 14th December 2006, 10:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

pick up the samsung..it's far better than lg in picture quality..
Old 14th December 2006, 17:55   #13
Team-BHP Support

LCD and plasma are 2 different technologies. The plasma prices have dropped since the technology has stabilised and the cost of a plasma panel is much lesser.
If your looking at overall quality for watching regular cable TV or with the tatasky or something go for a plasma. The picture quality for that is better. The only drawbacks to plasma are bulkier weight and higher power consumption. The older gens had burn in problems which resulted in permanently burnt images on the display. this would happen if you watch a static display for very long like a news channel continuously which has the 2 bars scrolling across them. Also plasmas had problems of shorter life. All these have been more or less sorted out.

On the other hand LCD is the newer technology. The life is slightly more of a LCD panel. The power consumption is lesser. it's very clear for HD or DVD viewing but most models dont have good tuners with noise reduction for regular cable viewing.

Suggest you go for a samsung plasma. If you want to go for the current inthing then LCD.
Old 14th December 2006, 18:12   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Hi all,

I'm interested in immediately purchasing a 32" LCD TV for home. I've seen the Samsung, LG, Sony, Sharp and even Videocon (seems they are in collaboration with Toshiba)!

I'm currently tilting towards the Samsung Bordeaux (70k MRP + Tata Sky + free fitting) or LG (65 Exhibition price + free fitting). The others were not as impressive..either too costly or lacking performance. Would like to check Panasonic and maybe Philips too.

Any quick suggestions or reviews on which will be a good 32" LCD buy will be appreciated.

Cheers,
Spyder
samsung bordeaux all the way. they are the best right now. nothing like.,
Old 15th December 2006, 00:11   #15
BHPian

hey dude..I would suggest to go for a Samsung LCD model..I have the Samsung M5 40 inch LCD ,and love it..

-sr

Most Viewed