Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2007, 00:31   #76
BHPian

I was in total agreement with Samurai till I saw the Bravai with Wega engine LCD. I do not think there is any loss of clarity either on the vertical or horizontal plane.

But again, with the power consumption dropping to 300w compared to 1000w a couple of years back and the price difference of about 40-50k ( comparing 42" plasma with a 40" LCD). The plasma makes a better choice.
Old 27th January 2007, 00:33   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I compared LCD and Plasma for a long time before settling for Plasma two months back. Even plasma technology has improved leaps and bounds, and Samsung is the clear leader. The major problem with LCD is the viewing angle. If you are not sitting right in front of it, the image will suffer. While it has acceptable viewing angle along the horizontal plane, the viewing angle is very acute in the vertical plane. If you are standing in front a LCD TV placed for sitting audience, you can barely see the clarity. Even in the seating position, if you deviate from the center of the LCD screen along the vertical plane, there will be lose of clarity.
I was in total agreement with Samurai till I saw the 40" Bravia with the Wega engine. I do not think there is any loss of clarity either on the vertical or horizontal plane on that LCD.

But again, with the power consumption dropping to 300w compared to 1000w a couple of years back and the price difference of about 40-50k ( comparing 42" plasma with a 40" LCD). The plasma makes a better choice.

Last edited by islandman : 27th January 2007 at 00:35.
Old 29th January 2007, 12:27   #78
BHPian

Sorry Mods about the repeat postings... Also I need to change the first line. I was in agreement with Samurai until I saw the New Bravia series at the AV expo last week. the model was a 40 or 42 incher, the model number ended with 200A

In my humble opinion, the new bravia lcd's bet everything at the expo (Hitachi,LG, Onida,TCL) except the pioneer plasmas which I would judge as equals.
Old 29th January 2007, 12:36   #79
BHPian

any feedback on the lg time machine plasma tv? it has 80 gb hard disk, u can record tv programs and also dvds....how is the lg quality?
Old 29th January 2007, 13:41   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
Two issues with LCDs are that

a) The pixels can die. And when it does, you just loose one line from the display. The life/quality of any batch of transistors cannot be uniform, so dead pixel is quite a possibility. The replacement can only be done as complete panel, and costs 25k or so.

b) You cannot control the intensity of the glow, the pixel is either on or off. In plasma - technically - the voltage can be controlled for better intensity. BTW, the intensity is not a major issue in dimly lite rooms and if watching distance is 15' or more.

Plasma also has its own issues. But with Laser projection devices (touted as Plasma/ LCD killer) on the horizon, I would rather wait for 6-9 months for the Laser TV to come out. And even if it cannot kill them both, the LCD/ Plasma prices are going to come down sharply. I certainly wont mind a Bravia 40" for 75k. As for the dead pixels, I will take that chance.
well said, determinus. at last there is someone who looks beyond the excellent LCDs & plasmas. When the Laser TV does come out, the indian market will be flooded with the better LCDs & Plasmas & that is the time to buy LCDs & plasma Tvs in india.
Old 29th January 2007, 13:52   #81
Senior - BHPian

Saw a 42" Videocon Plasma being advertised for 52K on exchange with a 29" CRT.
Q1. Does Videocon manufacture their own panels ? Or do they have a tie up ?
Q2. How much would the TV cost without the exchange ? Or how much to they normally give for an old 29" TV ?
Old 29th January 2007, 15:15   #82
Senior - BHPian

I think most of the panels are made by samsung.
Old 3rd February 2007, 23:53   #83
BHPian

The price of bordeaux 32" has dropped to 62k in bangalore.
Old 4th February 2007, 17:35   #84
Senior - BHPian

Sansui has dropped the prices of their LCD sets real low. 26" costs 29K now. i dont know about the response times though.
Old 5th February 2007, 02:51   #85
Senior - BHPian

Just booked mine today. Getting delivery tomorrw... Philips 32" LCD Model #7321 with Pixel Plus alongwith a Philips HD DVD player . I just compared it with Samsung bordeaux and i found this wayyyy better in terms of picture quality. These were the only two brands fitting in my budget. Will give a proper feedback in a couple of days... yummy cant wait to watch lotsa movies!
Old 5th February 2007, 09:31   #86
BHPian

So i finally got the bordueax on saturday night. The tata sky did a impressive installation job.

Watching BBC for example, was pretty good. But that was because the almost static picture of the anchor. Watching a cricket match, found that espn, ten sports and even neo was a notch better than the star sports. In general when bowler starts the run up, the sharpness of grass on out field kind gets smugged. Think this is a response time issue. With 8ms, the human eye is not supposed to notice this. Guess as some noted, this is a grey to grey, and actual reading for black to black could be higher.

BTW even if it is tata sky, dont attempt to watch certain DD channels on LCD. They are horrible...
Old 5th February 2007, 12:44   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
Just booked mine today. Getting delivery tomorrw... Philips 32" LCD Model #7321 with Pixel Plus alongwith a Philips HD DVD player . I just compared it with Samsung bordeaux and i found this wayyyy better in terms of picture quality. These were the only two brands fitting in my budget. Will give a proper feedback in a couple of days... yummy cant wait to watch lotsa movies!
Great !! and congrats. Even i found the Phillips to be wayyyy better than samsung, though a tad expensive. Please do give us a complete feedback regarding how the TV signals (Weak & Strong) are shown.
Old 6th February 2007, 13:11   #88
BHPian

Look for 1080p capability

I would recommend that anyone buying a TV now should look for 1080p capability as its the highest resolution in HD formats.. You are beginning to see these models being introduced by Samsung, Hitachi, Sharp, Panasonic etc.
Old 6th February 2007, 13:49   #89
Team-BHP Support

there are 2 1080p tvs that ive seen. the samsung 46" full hd mosel which ive got my eye on. it costs aobut 2l. and a sony bravia 46" which costs 2l 64k
Old 6th February 2007, 13:51   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
there are 2 1080p tvs that ive seen. the samsung 46" full hd mosel which ive got my eye on. it costs aobut 2l. and a sony bravia 46" which costs 2l 64k
There are cheaper ones available..
Samsung LCD TV gives a pointer to Samsung ones.. The 40" is around 1.5L list..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks