Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2019, 23:32   #16
BANNED

Re: Spotify can now be officially accessed in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
I have a, what I consider, a decent stereo system to listen to my music. I rarely use headphones on the phone. And my receiver supports airplay. So I used an iPad to airplay Apple Music on my stereo system. On the other hand I use a Chromecast Audio to cast the rest. IMHO the Apple Music quality in comparison was not up to the mark.
n.
I use a Chromecast at home and connect via USB for the car.
Yep airplay isn't the best. Also the lack of casting/multi device control/ ps4 app are some of the reasons Spotify Trumps am for me.
Heck I loved the song radio but they removed it a couple of months ago.

I don't subscribe to apple music yet in the car I found it to be much better. Strongly believe Spotify has more scope for better audio. I recall they were testing Spotify HiFi to complete with tidal. No updates. Probably shelved.

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 27th February 2019 at 23:34.
Old 28th February 2019, 12:11   #17

That's great news indeed.

However, I'm still on the fence for paying for premium subscription on Spotify.

When Apple Music was introduced, I had opted for premium subscription based on 2 primary reasons:

(a) I'm hooked into the Apple ecosystem, and it makes it easier to curate music across all my devices
(b) Apple Music is amongst the leading music streaming services in terms of catalogue of music, especially in Indian regional music genres

As much as I love the Spotify curated playlists & their music discovery algorithm, I'll wait till their regional Indian music collection matches that of Apple.
That said, I still use Gaana & even Amazon music, for old folk Panjabi music that cannot be found elsewhere...so, I don't think we'll ever have one-stop shop for all our music needs.

Last edited by ampere : 1st March 2019 at 11:55. Reason: formatted for readibility
Old 28th February 2019, 12:49   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Related Thread (Your favourite streaming music service (radio)?)
Netflix India's library pales in comparison to its USA one and I hope it's not the same with Spotify India...
GTO, that issue is not much pronounced these days. NF Indian catalog is ok when compared to US (6 out of 10). The value addition these days is derived out of original shows only. The movie catalog is absolutely junk in both countries.

But the difference is day and night when compared to Prime India Vs Prime US. I use Prime US more than any other streaming service these days (sitting in Dear Bengaluru).

Spotify's catalog seems to be limited here but not sure by how much. I tried Jessica Sanchez's - Tonight, and it didnt play, though it shows up in the playlist. Weird.
Old 28th February 2019, 13:10   #19
BHPian

Can somebody give me a heads-up on Apple Music VS Spotify? I already use Apple Music and my favourite genres are metal, country, fusion music(world/indian), indian classical a tinge of bollywood.

MOD NOTE: Please use proper spacing in your sentences & punctuation.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 28th February 2019 at 13:18.
Old 28th February 2019, 13:55   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID2997 View Post
Can somebody give me a heads-up on Apple Music VS Spotify? I already use Apple Music and my favourite genres are metal, country, fusion music(world/indian), indian classical a tinge of bollywood.
What I realized based on the comments is if you "know" what you need; then it does not matter. Get any paid streaming service and you are good.

But if you want to be surprised to hear what comes next based what you chose now for once, I think Spotify takes the cake. Its ability to line up items based on your current choice is unbeatable. But then again, its only for english songs for now. Not sure how good and effective are the algorithms for Indian choices.
Old 28th February 2019, 14:36   #21
VEA
BHPian

Does spotify stream CD quality or Hi-Res in any of their subscription plan similar to tidal?
Old 28th February 2019, 14:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

So glad spotify is in India. I was an fan of it since 2012 when I was in Sweden. Here in the UK the monthly subscription is £9.99 which is too high. But occasionally they would come up with a 3 month subscription for £9.99. My subscription just ended last week, I have now taken up a yearly subscription plan yesterday as soon I heard Spotify is in India.

Sound quality is really of high order on Spotify but the best feature is their curated playlists and song recommendations, that's pretty much unbeatable. I've also used Amazon music but their interface and song suggestions is not a patch on Spotify.
Old 28th February 2019, 15:05   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA View Post
Does spotify stream CD quality or Hi-Res in any of their subscription plan similar to tidal?
I do not think so...320kbps is the max.
Old 28th February 2019, 15:42   #24
BHPian

On using Spotify India, it seems they yet have to update discographies for a lot of artists. A couple of searches down , the app flashed me a message saying that "Spotify is working hard to add more music to your region". Some of the mainstream artists (English) who either do not have any of their songs or have incomplete playlists -

Prince, Jay - Z, Garth Brooks, Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, Neil Young, Phil Collins, Eagles, Slash, The Notorious B.I.G, Madonna.

Currently, even many well-known metal bands have incomplete playlists. Here are some of them -

Iron Maiden, Linkin Park, Lamb Of God, Tool, Machine Head, Killswitch Engage,
Avenged Sevenfold, Zeal & Ardor, Disturbed, Lamb Of God, Pantera.

Then I came across this news report which says that Spotify and Warner Music are currently at loggerheads with each other. This could be the reason for the incomplete playlists as well as for the absence of newer albums.

http://www.news18.com/news/tech/spot...s-2051007.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA View Post
Spotify's "High Quality" lets you stream at 320kbps where as normally, it streams at 160 Kbps. Tidal, on the other hand provides loseless FLAC streaming.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 28th February 2019 at 16:01. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 28th February 2019, 16:49   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID2997 View Post
Apple curated playlists are awful, but their music quality and UI is top notch; not to mention the perks of having your music synced across multiple Apple devices.
Whatever music resides on my Spotify, Gaana or Amazon music app, can be found and then exported to Apple Music, however, the same is not true the other way around (in terms of availability of music).
Therefore, all my music collection rests under Apple Music, but sadly that does not translate to any music recommendations/discovery.
If eventually, more music labels & artists transition to Spotify as their default music platform for releasing new & existing music, I will jump ship to Spotify for once & all. Till then, I'll retain my Apple Music subscription, even if I get Spotify premium eventually.
Old 28th February 2019, 17:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

Everyone who is taking about the great quality of audio on Apple and Spotify and the likes, have you ever tried Tidal? Trust me you will stop using anything else. Standard HIFI files on Tidal are all Lossless, MQA is even higher quality if your have he right decoding software and hardware. After Tidal with a good DAC and AMP nothing else sounds good. Let Spotify get lossless stuff then maybe I will be interested. Till then I see not much of an advantage over the 100 INR Gaanas or the free Jio Saavns for Indian music.

Last edited by SPARKled : 28th February 2019 at 17:38.
Old 28th February 2019, 18:04   #27
BHPian

I am currently use Apple Music for Western music and prime music for Hindi songs. I was so looking forward to Spotify finally launching in India (VPN- US Apple ID and tweak box were too cumbersome). The only reason why I was excited, was for Spotify’s superior audio quality compared to the likes of its competitors. Although it is the best streaming service, there are a few gripes imho. In prime music, there’s an option to play songs from recently added and recently played playlists, and on both of the above, it’s much easier to navigate through as there’s a tiny blip of the album art next to the song’s name, neither of which are available on Spotify. Hope Spotify fixes this in an update.
Old 28th February 2019, 18:57   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Not sure how good and effective are the algorithms for Indian choices.
Not so good I believe. I used Spotify (free) for the first time today. Artists selected were the likes of Mohd Rafi, OP Nayyar etc. The most recent was AR Rahman. And the AR Rahman songs that it played were from Ok Jaanu - definitely not his best work.
Old 1st March 2019, 09:40   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
PS :
One can use http://tunemymusic.com to import songs from one streaming platform to another for free. This also recognises Youtube music Playlists.
Thank you for this tip. I had couple of playlists on Youtube and Amazon Prime. I just moved them to Spotify instead of building them from scratch.

I prefer Spotify for the algorithms that it uses to automatically build a near endless playlist.
Old 1st March 2019, 10:11   #30
BHPian

Was waiting for Spotify launch. Signed up yesterday. Very good collection of Indian Classical Music. Their search algorithm and suggestion function is way ahead of Amazon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks