Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2019, 08:41   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Google cuts ties with Huawei

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Open everything: It is an opinion I hold, perhaps not shared with many.
Quite so. I haven't seen many people criticizing open source (none recently; earlier critics have now embraced it); you've been the first in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Can you do a "git/repo init", and a sync and get the latest linux source for all the Chinese routers, switches, or phones? This has been possible for the open source products coming out of Bay Area.
Only, Linux originated in Finland. Its TCP/IP stack was originally developed in Wales. Its filesystem, in France.
Old 28th May 2019, 09:59   #77
BANNED

I think we might as well steer clear of these trade wars. Remember the days of screwdriver and sticker technology. Also, the issue of Product and Process patents in drugs. I think we are on the other side of the fence now.
Old 29th May 2019, 03:31   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Only, Linux originated in Finland. Its TCP/IP stack was originally developed in Wales. Its filesystem, in France.
I am certainly not accusing any other cultures of freeloading. I think the origins of Linux are well documented, and I will agree with all facts, and see no need to have an opinion on it. I can stand corrected on any fact. Sure, I would be biased about the contributions I have made , or of people I have come across or have worked with. But, early on in the 90s the software competency of Chinese companies was really not there. The open source movement allowed them to put competent products out there (competent software), on top of hardware that they got by buying, borrowing or, stealing. What I see is that they are not in turn following the principles that let open source thrive.

Certainly not criticizing open source. I am criticizing the culture of freeloading. I still am a believer in open source, and its power to do good to the society, over closed proprietary standards, and systems. Its certainly not going to reach its maximum potential with the philosophy followed by Chinese companies. I wish I could go into greater detail, without inadvertently having to divulge my interactions and area of work.

Freeloading Analogy: You put a box of cookies in the public space for your team mates/colleagues. Only Freeloaders will take half a dozen for their kids/family(It does not say anywhere how many one person is allowed to take). They will never ever bing in a box of cookies themselves to work. The result will be that the cookie contributors will face burnout, and stop bringing in cookies - nobody will ever have a cookie surprise during their coffee break. If you think this is not freeloading, or that this is a healthy practice, we have nothing to debate over.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 29th May 2019 at 03:48.
Old 8th June 2019, 21:56   #79
Senior - BHPian

I'd like to now know what you guys think of this headlines - "Huawei ban threatens U.S. national security, tech companies warn Trump administration"

Quote:
U.S. technology companies have told the Commerce Department that the Trump administration’s ban on selling to the Chinese tech giant Huawei could significantly harm their bottom lines and might damage their ability to develop new technological innovations, including those needed by the U.S. military.

The companies are making the claims in applications for licenses that would let them do business with Huawei after the prohibition goes into effect in August, according to people familiar with the licensing process.
All the people in this thread who cried about security, gulags etc - can you tell me how this is going to pan out now?
Old 29th June 2019, 23:30   #80
Senior - BHPian

Breaking: Huawei will be allowed to do business with U.S. companies again

https://www.androidauthority.com/bre...again-1004260/

https://www.gsmarena.com/trump_confi...news-37853.php
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:25   #81
BHPian

Am actually a bit disappointed with this recent development. I was sincerely hoping that US would cut Huawei off and they would indeed launch their own OS and manage to sell the phones on the strength of their hardware making the new OS popular and then have a new OS competing with Android.

Am actually sick of this current monopoly and the tricks Google is now playing.

I have a feeling that Google got scared and lobbied with the govt to go slow on the ban.
Old 3rd July 2019, 00:51   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post

I have a feeling that Google got scared and lobbied with the govt to go slow on the ban.
Yeah for sure. Or some monies was paid off to the Orange man.

Since then, the gulags have been shut down and all the stuff that was stolen off American companies have been returned back to them.

LOL
Old 20th July 2019, 20:41   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Am actually a bit disappointed with this recent development. I was sincerely hoping that US would cut Huawei off and they would indeed launch their own OS and manage to sell the phones on the strength of their hardware making the new OS popular and then have a new OS competing with Android.

Am actually sick of this current monopoly and the tricks Google is now playing.

I am totally with you and was hoping the same...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks