Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2014, 11:09   #2251
Senior - BHPian

re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
My Diwali shopping from Amazon turns out to be a bitter one. Ordered a camera on 11th and it took them a week to ship. The 'overnight parcel' by Aramex took 7 nights to reach Bangalore, and it is yet to be delivered - it is stuck in Hebbal for a day!

Amazon did a pathetic job of planning the big sale and their warehouse and courier partners operations have ground to a halt. Too bad that the courier companies could not anticipate and handle the additional rush.

Flipkart did a far better job and they themselves having the courier greatly helped. I live near their HSR hub and I could see their delivery vehicles multiply over the period of two weeks.
Aramex is one of the worst couriers companies to ever operate. I would rate them in par with our local Professional couriers.

I had a package sent to me from the US, it went like this - US - Dubai - Mumbai- This took about 3 days. After reaching Mumbai it was just sitting there for a good 7 days! Everyday phone calls, emails promises nothing! Finally after sitting in Mumbai for 7 days they ship it to me in Bangalore. Then it takes them another 2 days to deliver the package within the same city!
Now I have another package stuck with them! Its been over 7 days and no sign of it.
Old 24th October 2014, 11:23   #2252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Just to put things in perspective here.

We really ought not to compare courier deliveries in the developed world vis a vis India.

The simple truth is that logistics, transportation and communications thereof are completely unpredictable here.

This is the major challenge when it comes to making a committed delivery.
I agree. And during the festive season, when loads have considerably increased on logistics, what we can do is be a little considerate of the situation. Who knows, the complete supply chain might be congested. I too had ordered something during "Big Billion Day" sale, and it took more than 2 weeks to arrive, that too 5 days behind schedule, but it was something I expected, given the festive rush. With more and more people going the home delivery way, this was bound to happen. Our city traffic does not help either in last mile.

A recent news report from TOI on the plight of delivery boys: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/44913917.cms
Old 24th October 2014, 11:58   #2253
Senior - BHPian

One great experience with Amazon, and i believe that was it. I had ordered some items first week October, opted for next day delivery, and it was so beautifully co-ordinated.

Expecting a similar experience, i had ordered for a nokia lumia phone, opted for next day delivery and there it is - yet to be delivered. What was to come on the 18th, has taken for ever to come to me. And funny bit is i was getting text messages that delivery was attempted and one more message that delivery is shifted to the next day due to my request. Very strange it was. I cancelled that oder. :(

I wrote to the Amazon Contact help desk email id, and they havent acknowledged that mail yet.
Old 24th October 2014, 13:31   #2254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
And funny bit is i was getting text messages that delivery was attempted and one more message that delivery is shifted to the next day due to my request. Very strange it was. I cancelled that oder. :(
Shady - I had the same experience with them on a highly discounted item I ordered. And they were unapologetic when I complained too. I also cancelled the order. Amazon has to pull up its socks when it comes to delivery and customer service.
Old 24th October 2014, 16:48   #2255
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
Our city traffic does not help either in last mile.

A recent news report from TOI on the plight of delivery boys: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/44913917.cms

I just read this and so should all of us, who order things online....especially in the Indian context, given our evil road and traffic conditions, congestion, population and general impatience with anyone who is on the "delivery" side of the service delivery equation!

I think it is about time that all the E Commerce companies which sell many items, of different sizes and weights, work together with each other if necessary, in order to provide a much more viable Product Delivery System - they can even consider doing clubbed deliveries, through decent quality Mini Vans like Tata Ace and Magic and so on.

It would be sensible if all the E Commerce companies were to change their delivery promise and their published "SLA", to consumers, because most definitely, if they use Mini Vans, the time that it will take for the Mini Van to traverse our lovely Indian traffic, will be far higher as compared to the motorbike delivery person.

This would apply to restaurants, Pizza Chains and pretty much anyone who is trying to "differentiate themselves" in today's complex marketplace, by offering high speed home deliveries.

In my neighbourhood I have regularly seen these poor delivery people carrying seriously out-sized back packs, which are quite obviously very heavy indeed, going about their "pack mule" work, irrespective of rain or shine.

Yes, I do order online and the books or whatever that I order, have been delivered by someone on a bike, carrying an outsized backpack. I have also seen a few deliveries from Amazon, which came by FedEx MiniVan (Tata Magic).

Lets spare a thought for this and see if humanity can overcome greed and the desperate urge for "instant gratification".

I am sure the big E Com companies can afford to think this way, if only to be more "humane" and considerate or perhaps as part of their "Corporate Social Responsibility" action points...

Perhaps, the time has indeed come, at least in India, to consider using those "drones" for delivery...
Old 24th October 2014, 19:39   #2256
Team-BHP Support

I don't blame the last-mile delivery mechanism. Delivery boys zipping around balancing super-sized bags on small bikes with impossible schedules are a hazard to themselves and everyone around them. I've read similar articles about their plight (even heard some first-hand accounts from the folks about how they're penalized unfairly for 'delayed' deliveries) and truly empathize with their difficult situation.

What I dislike and despise is the e-retailers being perfectly aware of this situation or worse, creators of this situation, will not do anything to alleviate it. All they want is your buck the quickest they can get it (our insatiable sense of instant gratification makes it easy for them), then keep you hanging as long as they can. What will you do? Complain? To whom?

I do not buy anything I need urgently online as I find the whole uncertainty intolerable just to save a few bucks. I also try to order COD wherever possible so I'm not at a lousy company's mercy when they try to play games.

With the current retailing setup in India and the lack of consumer protection, in-person shopping is still the lesser of all evils.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th October 2014 at 19:40.
Old 24th October 2014, 21:29   #2257
Senior - BHPian

Got the mi power bank today. So flipkart took 5 days for delivery in the mad rush festive season. Not bad.

Still awaiting orders from ebay, amazon and jabong ordered the same day.
Old 24th October 2014, 21:57   #2258
BHPian

Quote:
I just read this and so should all of us, who order things online....especially in the Indian context, given our evil road and traffic conditions, congestion, population and general impatience with anyone who is on the "delivery" side of the service delivery equation!
Completely agree with this. I really do not have a problem either paying more or even waiting longer for my orders so as to see that those guys are treated like humans. On a slightly different note, wrote an email to Amazon, with the same thoughts. Hope someone listens.
Old 24th October 2014, 23:50   #2259
Senior - BHPian

Though it belongs to Jokes thread but I don't wan't our online shopping enthusiast Bhpians who are looking to buy a DVD player to miss a deal on Shopclues.
Attached Thumbnails
The Online Shopping Thread-img2014102401432.jpg  

Old 25th October 2014, 00:02   #2260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Though it belongs to Jokes thread but I don't wan't our online shopping enthusiast Bhpians who are looking to buy a DVD player to miss a deal on Shopclues.
haha!
I can burn 3 DVD's in that player eh? Literally burn 3 DVD's.
Old 25th October 2014, 01:41   #2261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Lol man.
Here's my thesis. Probably it was traveling by air freight (train would've been faster!) bhubaneswar has limited air connectivity, only one direct flight of Indigo from blr. If FedEx doesn't use them, then they'd route it through Mumbai or delhi. It seems it kept missing the connection to bhubaneswar so they kept sending out forward to the next airport with a connection to bhubaneswar. Classic case of people not focused on doing the right thing / customer delight but just showing that they have cleared all their parcels, regardless of the costs to the system..
They could have sent it to Kolkata Hub in the first place. And Kolkata - Bhubaneswar has many flights with less flying time too.
Fail to understand why was it sent to Mumbai in the first place.
I wonder how much did FedEx end up spending on the India Tour of the phone.
Don't they have finance accountants who would bash up their employees during quarterly audits, for these kind of illogical routing of consignments ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
My Diwali shopping from Amazon turns out to be a bitter one.
Not just on Diwali. Amazon has this laid back attitude ever since their big launch in India couple of years back.
7 days delivery is very normal for Amazon products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Aramex is one of the worst couriers companies to ever operate. I would rate them in par with our local Professional couriers.
Can't agree more !! Aramex is super pathetic. As their customer care, I just hope everyone there is fired from their jobs with the lousy customer care set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Shady - I had the same experience with them on a highly discounted item I ordered. And they were unapologetic when I complained too. I also cancelled the order. Amazon has to pull up its socks when it comes to delivery and customer service.
Amazon Customer Care Experience: Pathetic to say the least.

5th Oct - Product Ordered
7th Oct - Product Handed to Fed Ex for shipping
15th Oct - Product Delivered.

9th Oct - Call to Amazon CC:
My Brother - I haven't received my product.
Amazon - Please call FedEx for status on delivery

9th Oct - Call to FedEx CC:
My Brother - I haven't received my consignment.
FedEx: Please call Amazon and check status.
My Brother - Why Amazon, you track my consignment no ?
FedEx: Please login to our website and track the consignment. Thank You.

10th Oct: Call to Amazon:
My Brother - I haven't received my product.
Amazon - Please call FedEx for status on delivery

10th Oct: Call to FedEx:
My Brother - I haven't received my consignment.
FedEx: Please call Amazon and check status.
My Brother - Why Amazon, you track my consignment no ?
FedEx: Please login to our website and track the consignment. Thank You.

Went on till 13th Oct, when my brother said his sad story to me.
I immediately shot a nasty tweet on FedEx, FedExIndia and Amazon.
FedEx replied stating that it was the US handle and they cannot help with my India issue.
FedExIndia replied saying sorry and would look into it.

14th Oct - I blasted FedExIndia again. No response.
15th Oct - Product delivered to my brother in the morning hour.

AmazonIndia - Still no response.

Quote:
Interestingly, I have never faced any delay with the delivery boys. It has rather been smooth.
The pathetic experience lies with the "transit" part of these so called major courier companies.

So, if I see that my product has arrived at Bangalore today, I would quietly wait till tommorrow end of day. That gives a fair 20 hours (assuming 10 delivery hours per day) for the delivery boys to deliver.
If it is lying in Bangalore hub for more than 2 days, I would leave no stones unturned to bash the courier boys.

Quote:
Lets spare a thought for this and see if humanity can overcome greed and the desperate urge for "instant gratification".
Humanity (for delivery boys of Pizza, Courier, etc) needs Sincerity. If one is sincere to what one is paid for, it solves most of the issues in the last leg.

Quote:
Perhaps, the time has indeed come, at least in India, to consider using those "drones" for delivery...
Read somewhere, sometime back, something was delivered by Drone, in Mumbai (IIRC).
Crazy show offs by people these days.
Old 25th October 2014, 14:16   #2262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
And funny bit is i was getting text messages that delivery was attempted and one more message that delivery is shifted to the next day due to my request.
I have had a similar experience with Amazon.

Day 1: Item is out for delivery. But couldn't be delivered because addressee wasn't around. But I never got a call from anyone saying they had come for delivery, nor did they leave a "We Missed You" card. I waited for Day 2. I ask the Customer Service what is happening and they assure me it will be delivered the next day.

Day 2: Item is again out for delivery. And history repeats itself! I contacted Customer Service at around 8:30PM, who promise me that the item will be delivered in the next hour. I actually asked if they were sure the product will reach me by 9:30PM, they replied in the positive. A few minutes later, I get a message saying delivery delayed on Customer's Request! Again contacted Customer Service who blamed incorrect labelling on their end for the error. Promise delivery next day again.

Day 3: Product is finally delivered.

A very strange experience that was from Amazon.

Now, a Vegetable Chopper I ordered on the 9th, which had reached Delhi on the 10th, is still stuck in Delhi while the delivery date was the 13th. No progress since the 10th. While a product I ordered on the 21st is already out for delivery today! Both packages use Amazon Transportation Services.

I don't understand this, if a product ordered on 10th is not delivered due to congestion in their logistics, how is a product ordered 11 days later being delivered on time?
Old 25th October 2014, 17:49   #2263
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Completely agree with this. I really do not have a problem either paying more or even waiting longer for my orders so as to see that those guys are treated like humans. On a slightly different note, wrote an email to Amazon, with the same thoughts. Hope someone listens.

How nice. Following your lead I also posted this on Amazon's FB page. And I have received a response too stating that they appreciate the feedback and have forwarded it internally to the appropriate people. This might well be a "stock response" but it is certainly quite a positive feeling that they have now been able to create by this simple action, within my thoughts! I always liked Amazon and now I like them more!
Old 25th October 2014, 19:41   #2264
BHPian

Quote:
How nice. Following your lead I also posted this on Amazon's FB page. And I have received a response
Same here. I got an email which by the words at least seemed as if it was written by a human, had the name of the person concerned as well. Hope they do something about it.

Quoted text from that email

I've checked the link and read the article, We appreciate that you took the time to share your concerns about services, It is always important for us to hear about all aspects of our customers' shopping experiences at Amazon.in.*

We value your opinion and will continue to listen and respond to our customers' concerns. Please be assured that I've forwarded valuable feedback of yours to our transportation department. They'll definitely come up with a solution to fix this issue as soon as possible.
Old 26th October 2014, 01:37   #2265
BHPian

Bhpians. Check out the Snapdeal - TV Exchange Offer.

It was showing Rs. 11,000/- for Old CTV and Rs. 8,000/- for LCD/LED. Still Checked out the CTV Offer. I tried all the permutations and combinations, Size of the TV, Brand etc., etc., The maximum Exchange value stays at Rs. 1,200/- only.

In this case, it's not an error like the DVD Player, but it's Open Cheating in the broad daylight.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks