Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2020, 16:28   #46
BHPian

Re: Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears

Interesting...

It made me realize that I have one old non smart phone in the shelve. It is gonna take me a while to pen down all the non smart phones that I owned, changed phones frequently in my early 20's.

Posting pics of N90, the last time I checked, it was in working condition. Get a new battery and it will be ready to do duty if required I think.

Nokia N-Gage QD was an another interesting phone that I owned.
Attached Thumbnails
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-img_20200729_153534.jpg  

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-img_20200729_153550.jpg  

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-img_20200729_153626.jpg  

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-img_20200729_153650.jpg  

Last edited by jonesanto : 29th July 2020 at 16:35.
jonesanto is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 17:05   #47

I've had a pretty decent number of smartphones over the years. Posting a picture of the ones I still have with me.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-20200729_162628.jpg

From L to R:
  • Samsung Corby Pop GT-C3510 - The first "personal" phone gifted by parents in school.
  • Nokia N97 - Definitely a flagship by Nokia when launched.
  • BlackBerry Torch 9810 - It was built like a brick. Had huge falls and still works.

Other phone I've used (In chronological order):
  • Nokia 1200 - Blue coloured body with monochrome screen.
  • Nokia 6600 - A classic. Got stolen or else it would've been with me till date.
  • ZTE Blade - First Android for me. DELL used to sell this one after rebranding it.
  • BlackBerry Curve 9220 - A very reliable handset.
  • Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 - A full-fledged flagship smartphone. Used it till it died. Exceptional phone.
  • iPhone 4S, 5, 5S, 6, 7 - Stuck to iOS for the last 5-6 years until recently.
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 - Current daily. Got it last month.

It's great that now we have these phones with a list of huge spec sheets but I still reminisce the old days.
The Symbian OS was way ahead of its times and above all phones were easier to live with.
Old 29th July 2020, 17:48   #48
BHPian

I’m sure this generation kids would have never seen or heard about the object below and not sure if any of the museums have one of them.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-pager.jpg

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-pager2.jpg

This was my on-call pager given to me during the year 2000 at Hyderabad. IT helpdesk or my manager page me for AVAYA Pabx support.

My very first Job was with Modi page in Chennai during 1997 (Gemini complex) at Kodambakkam High road but stayed just for two days.
glovins2004 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 17:54   #49
Senior - BHPian

This thread could not have come at an opportune time !

All phones that I had before 2014 (the dumb ones) are at my parent's house, each phone as a story though.

2005: Nokia 1100 : Got this as dad 'upgraded' to bigger Nokia (I guess it was Nokia 3230). Spoiled me in my first year engineering once as I spent days with only one motive : Killing that final monster of a villain in that famous game : Space Impact !

2007: Nokia 6020 : The Nokia 1100 was pretty bruised by now. Its frame broke eventually. It was still working though. Got the 6020 because it was an 'affordable' phone which supported video recording !!

2008: Nokia 5200 : Nokia 6020 given to Dad as he dropped his 3230 in some waterfall (I doubt this, he probably forgot it somewhere). The 5200 was a used one which dad did not like as it was funky looking. This phone was a proper 'walk-man' for me. I used to keep the headphones plugged in my ears all time, you know, that thing you do when you are young. My brother pulled it out of my ears once when I ignored him breaking the earphones .I broke his earphones too, simply because this phone had a smaller audio jack (not the default 3.5mm) and procuring original ones was a costly affair. Saved some pocket money and got new ones again.

2009 : Samsung Corby Plus : With a slider keyboard. This one was brought with my own money when I got my first job. The keyboard was awesome and Samsung UI was better than Nokia this time. Funny story: I used to text a lot with my girlfriend then, her number was exact same as my dad except for the last three digits. I used to key in the number as it was faster with physical keyboard and my brain working together. As usual, after a lot of smses late night, I sent the customary 'Love you' message to end the conversation. I did not get a reply, so got suspicious. Checked again and saw that it was sent to my Dad Sneaked into his room while he was sleeping and took his phone and deleted the message and thanked him for not having his phone locked with a PIN. This was the last dumb phone before switching over to android.

2010: Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini : A phone with just 3.5 mm display ! Girls in my office would get a cuteness overload just looking at it. My girlfriend and I switched over to Whatsapp ever since, there is no looking back. The phone is still working and in perfect condition, even the battery performance is respectable.

2013: LG Optimus 4X : Realized the size is too small, my first 'flagship' phone bought on loan of 3 months !! It was the first to have a quad core processor and was blazing fast. But LG's lethargic updates without any kind of testing meant this device had less life than others. LG updated this with Android Jellybean and it completely screwed it up. Battery drain, heating, slow down etc.

2014: Nokia Lumia : I dont recall its full name, but wife gifted it to me as wedding gift. Excellent camera and AMOLED display for just 15000 Rs. The only reason why I wanted to get a Nokia was to experience Microsoft's phone before it went extinct. It was a good experience I would say. If only they built a proper smart phone environment just like Apple back in 2005-06, the OS could have easily survived. I gifted her an LG G2 !

2016 onwards : Have been cranking iPhone 5S still along with Samsung S7 edge which my kid broke just last Friday. So, last weekend I was back to looking at what phones I could recover to use the Jio SIM for some time.

I managed to recover my wife's LG G2 which has been dead since 2017. We showed it to a local shop an year ago and he said that the 'motherboard' is gone. She was sad all these years because all photos of her travel to US, UK and Gulf were in it. Somehow I had a gut feeling that nothing is wrong with the phone. I removed the cover and its battery (which is non-removable) sprayed WD40 on all the contacts, since it was a sealed phone like iPhone there was a lot of gunk accumulated over the years. Gave it a couple of minutes to dry and plugged it to a charger. Bang !! the LED started glowing and it powered up. I woke my wife at 2.30 AM and her reaction on seeing her old photos was priceless !
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 18:23   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The big miss in S60 was lack of touchscreen support. So they had to either provision a physical keypad (reducing screen size by that much) or go through some contortions. I remember reading that a version of S60 was planned to have it, but Nokia pulled the plug and threw their weight under the Maemo platform.
They did have a touchscreen phone 5800 Express Music which i guess was the first to be dubbed the "Iphone killer". Wasn't that on the Symbian platform?

Had a terrible touchscreen mainly due to the use of the resistive touch I guess.

My phone history

2004 - Got a Nokia 3120 when i started college, which i promptly lost within 6 months. Was then without a phone for an year or so.

2006-2008 - A very basic Motorola phone I got with a tata docomo CDMA connection. Dont even remember the model name

2008-2010 - Got a Nokia E71 as I joined work. Was very smooth but had some issues with the screen

2010-2012 - My worst ever phone. A Nokia N97 mini. Was very expensive ( ~20K) and yet used to be very slow vs even the early android phones ( My colleagues had the HTC desire and Incredible S which were way ahead)

2012-2015 - My first android the Google Nexus S.

2015-2017 - Oneplus One

2017- Moto G5S Plus
Old 29th July 2020, 18:33   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Back in early 03 IIRC, a friend in college showed me his new phone sent by his brother in 'Gelf' - It was a motorola phone (V70) with round screen and perhaps the fanciest of all opening mechanisms.

Found it on youtube now, it still looks fancy - the later model called AURA was even fancier but perhaps it was too late, but I have not seen that for real.

I had an old Nokia 3330 those days, less cool compared to V70 but you could send SMS without even having to look at the phone.

Nokia 3330 (Favorite but I lost it)
Motorola T190
Nokia 1100
Nokia 3310.

In 2009 I finally switched to smart phones.

Nokia E65
Nokia E71

In 2014 I started using a touchscreen smartphone that was abandoned by my Wife.

Blackberry Z10.
Old 29th July 2020, 19:15   #52
BHPian

I used a Siemens CF-62 which was a flip phone and had those notification lights right round the phone save for the antenna area. It's antenna was like a flat keychain and was quite a sight back then in 2005 with the amber notification lights which the Nokia's, Motorolas didn't have.

Nokia N series Communicators were the higher end of the deal back then and got them in 2007 from Gulf. Would fit in like a pencil box, and ironically was the most theft prone device owing to its large shape whilst being carried in public buses and local trains.

Last edited by Ford5 : 29th July 2020 at 19:17.
Old 29th July 2020, 19:17   #53
BHPian

Attachment 2035646

The phone in the picture is not a 6233 but a 6021/6020.

I remember my dad bought this (6021) in the year 2005. both the 6020 & 21 looked identical but the 21 had both Bluetooth & Infrared whereas the 20 only had Infrared
123.rishabh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 20:14   #54
BHPian

started using mobile phones from 2004 onwards and owned following phones:
-Nokia 3100 (dumb)
-Motorola c261 (v dumb)
-Nokia 6600
-Nokia 6085 (dumb)
-Nokia N70 Music Edition
-LG Optimus one
-Nokia C3 (dumb)
-HTC Explorer
-Samsung Galaxy S3
-Samsung Galaxy Alpha
-Redmi 4A
-Samsung Galaxy A5 2017
-Asus Zenphone max pro m1
-Samsung Galaxy S9 (my current phone)
Old 29th July 2020, 20:39   #55
Senior - BHPian

Back in 2003, my aunt from UK handed me down her Nokia 5510 when she visited India. I was just 14 then and this was a phone that was capable of what I needed.

I retained it till 8-9 years back even though it didn't work(!) & must have the pics but unable to find them right now. Here's how it looked :
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-200pxnokia_5510_mit_blauem_frontcover.jpg
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-68006357_1picturesofnokia5510allorig.jpg

IIRC it had 64MB of internal space & I had just some 15-18 tracks on it, but boy did those Nokia earbuds sound great! The depth and sound quality still stands as one of the best I've ever experienced! Better-still it was something I got to enjoy music at the time/age that I really wanted to.

The next one was a Motorola L7 that my mom got around 2005-06 to replace her NOKIA 6020. It looked like this.
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-img5492.jpg.

~2009 also I got a proper Nokia E63. It had a QWERTY keyboard like those Blackberry phones and they were superbly laid and had a great tactile feel. Because of this, typing long notes & E-mails was very easy and it remained the best experience for the next 4-5 years even as a secondary/tertiary phone. Nokia did a very good job on the form factor but just missed out on developing the Symbian OS. Anyway, back then my only regret was to not opt for the Nokia E72 which was similar to E63, but also had GPS.
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-nokiae63128mbblacksdl4208692001b1838.jpeg

I got a tiny Sony Ericsson ELM phone ~2010. It had a good external speakers with fairly ok sound quality (for the price back then).
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-1596035090292.jpg

Around the same time we also got a Sony W205. This was my mom's phone which we all liked for its overall design & form factor around being a dedicated music phone. It had an adapter for the 3.5mm earphone jack and the sound quality felt just like the Nokia 5510s' earphones! It looked like this :
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-1596031695914.jpg

Then started the Android deluge with Samsung and then Xiaomi and everyone else.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 29th July 2020 at 20:42.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 23:36   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

In 2006 or so, I'd bought the Nokia 6610 which really was the Toyota Innova of phones! Not a single owner of it would give it any less than 10 / 10 ratings.
I agree with you on that, my dad got this phone in its camera Avatar called 6610i in 2004 if my memory serves me right. This phone still runs with minor issues.

2007- Nokia 6610i- was handed to me by my dad. She still works like a charm.

2009- Samsung M200- used it merely for 2 months as I lost it.

2009- Nokia 5130- It was a great phone but somehow this series had a lot of issues for me, nokia replaced with new phones twice under warranty. Post the lapse of warranty phone was trouble free and remains the same till date.

2011- Samsung Chat 222- This was the first phone I gifted myself with my own money. Qwerty keypads and dual sims were an in thing then. I used this and nokia simultaneously. Lost it in 2015.

2013- Blackberry 9720- It was handed down from dad. I never really liked the phone.

2013- Nokia Lumia 520- first smart touchscreen phone. It was a breather among the plethora of android phones with the most business like feel in the price range. It still runs today.

2015- Motorola Moto E - This was my first android phone. Was a short term use as I wanted a replacement for lumia.

2016- Iphone 5s - I fell for the price trap, I could barely use it for a year due to the horrible battery life on 4g. It was and is a great phone with the perfect size but the battery was the issue. It still runs perfectly.

2017- Xiaomi MI A1- The phone that made me appreciate Android, it was a sturdy and strong device and I still use it as my spare phone.

2019- Samsung A70- Wonderful package at the price point. Would keep it for another year before replacement.
Old 29th July 2020, 23:41   #57
BHPian

While compiling this list, I realized I changed a lot of handsets over the years (some were passed down to me from wifey when bought newer ones for her).

Among the old ones, I still have (and fully functional) the original iPhone that I bought early 2008.

2004 - Sony Ericsson T105
2005 - Nokia 6600
2006 - Sony Ericsson W810
2007 - HTC Touch
2008 - iPhone
2009 - iPhone3gs
2011 - Blackberry Bold
2012 - Some HTC android phone
2014 - OnePlus One
2016 - iPhone 7
2018 - iPhone X
2019 - iPhone 11 Pro
Old 30th July 2020, 01:34   #58
BHPian

Lovely thread! I have been a Nokia fanboy like a lot of other people, but not without reasons. Not just the build quality, i have been in love with their S40 and S60 software. Back in those days, the phones felt absolutely complete with all the options under the menu that one could possibly need. Cherry on top was the brilliant PC Suite. Android and iOS in its infancy felt really half baked (IMHO iOS still is .. . .. err sorry Apple fans). I held onto the S60 platform as long as i could. True multitasking back in those days was nothing short of phenomenal. Switched over to Android finally in 2014 (yes, quite late). I have always liked Android absolutely stock. It started with Motorola-s (first Moto G), before finally getting into Oneplus. As on date, i am totally in love with Oxygen OS.

Phones in the below picture are the Nokia-s we still have at home. Apart from these, we have few old Blackberry-s, Motorola-s and a Siemens C25 as well. Funny thing is, most of these still work like a champ.

Some of the other phones we've owned but no longer have with us are the Nokia 6600 (still might find it somewhere), the asymmetric Nokia 7610, some Samsung-s and the Sony Ericsson K550i and the K220i.

Some of these were used by Dad, some by Mom, and some by me!
Attached Thumbnails
Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-screenshot_20200730005818.jpg  

Last edited by shankha007 : 30th July 2020 at 01:57. Reason: Added some other forgotten devices
shankha007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 01:46   #59
BHPian

Thanks for this topic. Brings a lot of memories back.
I don't have all my old phones with me right now but couple of old ones are here.

Tell us about your older non-smart, non-iPhones from the yesteryears-20200729_220343.jpg

I started with a Nokia 1108,
Then got a 3310 from a friend of mine (I still have it back at home),
A few more basic Nokias (I don't remember the model names any more),
Sony w810i,
Nokia Lumia 735,
Motorola Moto g3 which I used for very long time (these two are also there back at home),
Then onwards I almost always used phones provided by my company (
HTC U11,
Samsung Galaxy S9,
Currently using S10 - all dual sim versions so that I can have my personal SIM as well)

Last edited by dileepcm : 30th July 2020 at 01:48. Reason: content better organised
Old 30th July 2020, 09:12   #60
Senior - BHPian

Very good thread.

https://mowned.com/ is a good website to create a timeline for your mobile phones.
desideep is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks