Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2020, 10:52   #46
BHPian

Re: Protecting your online privacy & user data

We can say without a doubt that Google has contributed enormously to human kind through their technology, while I cannot say this about Facebook. Research and Development is hugely expensive and the talented engineers in these company have to be paid handsomely. The share holders also expect good returns on their investment. The customers of a business have to pay directly or indirectly for the services received. Right now the customers pay indirectly through data they share. The unfortunate thing is that there is no way customers can pay directly. For example there is no way to pay Google and make sure that they do not send you ads or retain your information.

I subscribe to YouTube prime so that I do not have to see their ads. I also contribute regularly to Wikipedia and a few other news websites. May be I am too naive, but I think there is nothing illegal that I have to hide from any body. So I use Google service rather liberally. Yes, I am careful before clicking any link of responding to mail that I receive.
Old 12th August 2020, 12:27   #47
BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Indeed. I would make a small donation, except they say they are required to have my PIN. This I am not prepared to give.
I made a donation to Wiki and they have a payment gateway which means it is like any other ecommerce sites. You can pay using your credit cards, net banking or other payment modes. Only your bank will ask for your OTP in such a transaction.
Quote:
For accessing Bank websites is there a difference between accessing through bank apps or through the browser, as far as privacy is concerned? I generally avoid installing multiple bank apps to save on phone space.
It is better to use your browser than their app for better user experience. For example, ICICI bank site if viewed through their app will show only the last 5 transactions. If you use their desktop browser version, you can see 10 last transactions. Another thing is sometimes their app may have a bug which may not have been addressed in time. Your browser will always fetch the current version.
Some apps are well thought out and pass through rigorous testing before they are published especially in iOs. All the foregoing assumes that your browsers and the computers are hardened and patched well. If you have a hidden keylogging software in your device, all bets are off.

Last edited by Prowler : 12th August 2020 at 12:40. Reason: Added another message
Old 12th August 2020, 17:53   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I made a donation to Wiki and they have a payment gateway which means it is like any other ecommerce sites. You can pay using your credit cards, net banking or other payment modes. Only your bank will ask for your OTP in such a transaction.
Thank you, I'll try again.

I used to keep anything involving cash transactions off my phone. I think Uber and Ola were the thin end of the wedge, which grew to occasional Amazon purchases and paying Airtel bills using their app. Apart from online security, I used to say that I did not want anyone who picked up my lost or stolen phone to be able to spend my money. I guess I have now given in and given up that hard line. None-the-less, I still refuse to install banking apps on any phone.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 10:22   #49
BHPian

Quote:

Apart from online security, I used to say that I did not want anyone who picked up my lost or stolen phone to be able to spend my money. I guess I have now given in and given up that hard line. None-the-less, I still refuse to install banking apps on any phone.
I am paranoic about online security. For paying Swiggy, I use a temporary virtual credit card issued by ICICI which has an artificial credit limit I have set to a maximum of 5k. This way even if compromised by Swiggy, my loss would be limited to 5k.
Prowler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 10:51   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from online security, I used to say that I did not want anyone who picked up my lost or stolen phone to be able to spend my money.
Some protective measures that I do to mitigate impact of phone loss/theft. These are probably Android-specific.

1. Phone lock with a strong password (not biometrics, not pattern, not PIN). To reduce the pain value, I also have Smart Lock enabled but not sure how much of a risk that is.

1a. Do not show notifications or anything on Lock Screen (OTPs won't display on lock screen).

1b. Lock on power button press, lock after timeout (even if thief gets the phone in unlocked state, they lose access to it quickly).

2. Encrypt the phone and require password upon boot. There are a few options here; best to read Android documentation on this (prevents accessing data on the phone by connecting it to a computer).

3. Enable SIM card's PIN lock (prevents attempt to insert the SIM in another phone and use it to get OTPs etc.).

4. Make sure you understand Operator's policies on lost / replaced SIMs. Airtel for example has a 24-hour window after a SIM replacement (detected by noticing a change of SIM number for the mobile number) during which all SMSes are blocked. So even if a thief manages a replacement SIM for your number you still have 24 hours to notice and take action.

4a. Don't rely on the operator to do the right thing.

5. Install/enable a device locator system. Since I have given up when it comes to Google I use Android's Find Device only. :-) It can show the phone on a map, remote-wipe etc.
binand is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 17:35   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Some protective measures that I do to mitigate impact of phone loss/theft. These are probably Android-specific.
Very comprehensive and well thought out. There is stuff there that never occurred to me!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 14:44   #52
BHPian

Randomly I just typed the following on YouTube "how to surf the internet anonymously" as I found a wide variety of videos and tutorials.

This one video "Becoming Anonymous: The Complete Guide To Maximum Security Online" gives a complete picture about online privacy in my opinion. Have a looksie .

embee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 17:37   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

2 important upcoming apps that can help you take back some control of your privacy. Anybody on these beta programs yet?

https://spreadprivacy.com/introducin...ng-protection/

DuckDuckGo are working on an app to block others from tracking you across other apps. Similar to what iOS implemented recently, but for Android. With Google being a direct beneficiary of such tracking abilities there is no doubt that such a feature will probably never be OS native on Android.

The app is still in beta and you cam register for early access.

Another app they have in beta is to protect you from email tracking. More details on their blog - https://spreadprivacy.com/introducin...otection-beta/
Old 28th November 2021, 19:27   #54
BHPian

Few measures I've taken to protect myself and family from tracking/ ads/crypto miners/Microsoft data tracking OS aka windows 10 and now 11.

1) Running ad blocking software at router level (pfsense). All devices are ad free now including ads on hotstar.

2) On PDA, I run a vpn connected( Only for DNS routing) my server which also blocks ads while I'm away from home.

3) Using a Indian virtual number for all services, offline and online shopping and few sites which doesn't let you search until you enter a valid number with OTP (

4) On PDA, using Firefox browser with duck duck go as deafult search engine and additionally some privacy plugin to reduce browser fingerprint.

5) I've self hosted vpn on US server and also subscribed to paid vpn to access US Netflix and access sites which are otherwise blocked in India.

Last edited by atulsian : 28th November 2021 at 19:34.
atulsian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 19:33   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
temporary virtual credit card issued by ICICI which has an artificial credit limit I have set to a maximum of 5k.
This is a good method. Is it only ICICI or others too who offer this facility?
Thank you for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post

3) Using a Indian virtual number for all services, offline and online shopping
What does a virtual number mean?

Last edited by vb-saan : 29th November 2021 at 08:55. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you
Old 29th November 2021, 01:58   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
What does a virtual number mean?
I'm using the below provider.

https://www.doosra.com/

They allot a random mobile number which you can share with others.

PS- No affliation. Just sharing it for everyone's benefit
atulsian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 08:09   #57
Senior - BHPian

I don't use the Chrome browser at all. Replaced it with Edge as the standby browser accompanied by DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials addon which is able to block most of the ads . My go to browser now is Brave. These are some of the free options available to secure your privacy. Nothing like router level blocking though, if you can do it, at least at your home. This is for the laptop. I use Firefox Focus on my Android device for browsing.
Old 29th November 2021, 10:46   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm using the below provider...
No outgoing SMS facility means it won't work with banking and UPI apps which need SMS verification at setup.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 20:01   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
No outgoing SMS facility means it won't work with banking and UPI apps which need SMS verification at setup.
As per the FAQs, Indian Virtual numbers do not have the option of calling or message feature. Only incoming calls and messages are allowed. Although, doosra has a feature to call back from the app.
atulsian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 08:52   #60
BHPian

Quote:
3) Using a Indian virtual number for all services, offline and online shopping and few sites which doesn't let you search until you enter a valid number with OTP.
I was looking at the doosra website Seems interesting.

So do we give all e commerce sites and banks also the doosra number?

Most Viewed