Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2020, 00:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Check this

https://www.amazon.in/Belkin-F5L071a...=1&ext_vrnc=hi

Using one for past 5 years. Except for a blown fuse once, it working as intended.
I have used this accessary extensively (for 5-6 years at least) as I used to attend conference calls/zoom meetings from my car whenever I had to visit my native place (there was no mobile network in my village). It stopped working recently and probably it is the fuse.
Good thing is, you can also charge couple of mobile phones as it has USB slots too.

Last edited by moralfibre : 31st August 2020 at 14:16. Reason: Typo
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 09:02   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I have used this accessary extensively (for 5-6 years at least) as I used to attend conference calls/zoom meetings from my car whenever I had to visit my native place (there was no mobile network in my village). It stopped working recently and probably it is the fuse.
Good thing is, you can also charge couple of mobile phones as it has USD slots too.
Yes, the belkin one, although expensive, is pretty reliable. Tried and tested product.

The fuse is at the back and can be easily pulled out and replaced.
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 09:36   #18
BHPian

Re: How to charge a laptop in the car?

Sorry for going off topic, have a somewhat opposite query.

Can a laptop charger be used to trickle charge a car battery? Any other uses for chargers of dead laptops?
Old 29th August 2020, 10:51   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
At that price, why not simply carry a spare fully charged laptop battery?
Many of the newer laptops don't have easily removable batteries. You need to open up the case and all that.
anilp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 11:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
At that price, why not simply carry a spare fully charged laptop battery?
Laptop batteries are likely to be more expensive. Also, think about the hassle of swapping 2 batteries (which may involve unscrewing the lid)and ensuring they are charged!
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 12:26   #21
BHPian

The primary power source in any vehicle , contrary to popular belief, is the alternator. Needless to mention that different cars have different capacity alternators. For eg Swift has 90A capacity while TATA Nano has around 65A. In general , when designing an electrical distribution scheme , designers allow for some 20% additional loading. So as long as the additional connected load , in this case a laptop charger , is within limits of the alternator, it should not create any problem. Anything more would be overloading the system which would result in a drop in terminal voltage and consequent malfunction of other devices. A relevant discussion on this topic can be found here :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ity-query.html (Car Battery / Alternator Capacity Query)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Can a laptop charger be used to trickle charge a car battery? Any other uses for chargers of dead laptops?
Yes. Some jugaad ways can be found on YT. However i would advise against it. Even if you restrict the charging current to 10A (which is minimum required )the charger would burn out after some time.
srini1785 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 13:58   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Many of the newer laptops don't have easily removable batteries. You need to open up the case and all that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Laptop batteries are likely to be more expensive. Also, think about the hassle of swapping 2 batteries (which may involve unscrewing the lid)and ensuring they are charged!
Guys, please see the post I have replied to first. The product cost is 18k and the laptop in question has a removable battery.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 17:14   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a ton, gents! Ordered the Belkin that many of you suggested. Delivery is on Monday.

Interesting, the electricity in my area has gone today since 2 PM. Long time since such an outage. I have just an hour left on my laptop battery :(.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 11:50   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks a ton, gents! Ordered the Belkin that many of you suggested. Delivery is on Monday.

Interesting, the electricity in my area has gone today since 2 PM. Long time since such an outage. I have just an hour left on my laptop battery :(.
I have been using Belkin and its good, however charging takes longer. Keep car ventilated as it also gets hot quickly owing to small fan inside it.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 12:19   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Found an interesting product:

https://www.amazon.in/Coolnut-Macboo...dp/B07P7W9H82/

You can charge it at home and keep it in the car. Main advantage is won't strain you cars electricals.
In description, it is shown as not to be used for a laptop but useful for macbook! Please be noted.
coolmind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 12:30   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been using Belkin since as early as 2010. A supremely reliable product that has lasted this long.

I had picked it up from the then "Staples" store in Bangalore at 1800 while my friends later purchased the same for over 3500 when the product became popular.

It comes with with all safety elements like cooling fan, overload indicator and cut off fuse and also a thick gauged wire that is very important to convert DC to AC.

Heck, it was an important item that we carried when I drove the GQ way back in 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Apart from the usual luggage essential for travel, here are a few basic items that we carried along with us that would help us in various situations.

2. Belkin DC-AC Converter

A very essential and a must have car accessory that I have been using since more than 3 years. With devices like Laptops, Mobiles, cameras, this one comes in handy to use to charge the devices on the go.

Last edited by paragsachania : 31st August 2020 at 12:34.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 12:36   #27
BHPian

I have the below for the 4 years. I use it very infrequently but it still works fine.

Targus charger
catchjyoti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 13:22   #28
BHPian

I have been using the Belkin charger for 7 years now. Reliable and well built. It can charge a laptop and two USB devices at the same time but not with fast charging.

The only drawback is that it's really expensive and somewhat heavy.
digitalnirvana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 08:03   #29
BHPian

I've been using this one for the last 3-4 years. It's from Dell, and so compatibility should not be an issue. Specifically mentions Latitude 7490.

https://www.dell.com/en-in/shop/dell...pc-accessories

Not exactly a car adapter, but a power bank that also doubles as a second charger. I used it while commuting by bus to work. IIRC it costs about 6k. Good for one full charge on my Dell Inspiron laptop when the power bank was new, and after nearly 3.5 years it's still good for about 50% charge.
Old 1st September 2020, 11:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

I'm using a Kia branded inverter which I had bought from their showroom. I've used it only 8-10 times so far and the charging speed is pretty good and worked as intended. It has an USB slot and a cooling fan as well. Since it's an accessory sold by manufacturer, one can be at peace assuming that it must have gone through some minimum QC.
Attached Thumbnails
How to charge a laptop in the car?-screenshot_20200901114401_samsung-internet.jpg  

How to charge a laptop in the car?-screenshot_20200901114531_whatsapp.jpg  

How to charge a laptop in the car?-screenshot_20200901114618_whatsapp.jpg  

Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks