Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2020, 12:28   #31
BHPian

Re: How to charge a laptop in the car?

I am using Intex 200W car inverter which I had bought from Intex eclusive store approximately 2 years ago. It has 1 AC output and 2 USB outputs.

Good part is that it fits easily in cup holder due to it's cyclindrical shape.

During lockdown drive, my wife had to attend the office for half day and inverter served well to charge her laptop.

The only problem i faced has some of the plugs are not fit properly.

https://www.amazon.in/Intex-Multipurpose-Inverter-Charger-DC-200/dp/B075VSRGKC
dicor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 14:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Check this

https://www.amazon.in/Belkin-F5L071a...=1&ext_vrnc=hi

Using one for past 5 years. Except for a blown fuse once, it working as intended.
I have been using the same Belkin model for the last 4 years. Has saved us multiple times during work emergencies in travel. It has been a complete hassle free experience as well.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 07:56   #33
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Agree.
And they have 3 pin AC plug points. So where is the Neutral or earthing discharging into ?
Any return current in the earth pin from the connected device can be sensed by the circuit inside the invertor and it can be used to trip the circuit, similar to how GFCI(Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) outlets works.
Naveen_0181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:17   #34
BHPian

I prefer direct DC to DC conversion. I use a compact step-up DC converter to boost the 12V-14.4V DC supply from cigarette lighter to 19.5V DC (adjustable). Although the seller claimed it provides 200W, I genuinely doubt it. My laptops typically draw 2.5A max, so its ~50W output, and definitely less than 60W drawn from car outlet even if I assume 85% efficiency.

Since I have laptops of two different brands (Acer and HP, both use 19.5V DC), also purchased a 10 piece universal adapter set that includes 5.5x2.1mm 4.5x3mm and 5.5x1.7mm adapters.

For fast charging my mobiles, I also have a small DC converter providing 4 USB ports with aggregate 5V8Amp output. One port is dedicated for the dashcam, and two separate cables for mobiles (one micro-usb, and one type-c magnetic). Constructed myself a small acrylic enclosure. Makes my life easier overall.

BTW, I also have a Belkin 200W inverter purchased about 8 years back for my XUV500. Provides 220V AC port and a couple of USB. I rarely use it though.

I find it very inefficient to use inverters + laptop power adapter, inverting ~12V DC to 220V AC and then back to ~19.5V. Around 25% DC power is converted into heat with the combination of inverter and laptop bricks. (~85% efficiency of compact square-wave or trapezoidal-wave car inverters, and ~88% efficiency of branded laptop power bricks)

Power bricks convert 220V AC to ~300V DC, chop it at high frequency, use a small transformer to lower AC voltage, then use rectifiers, filters and provide stable DC output.
Attached Thumbnails
How to charge a laptop in the car?-converter.jpg  

Last edited by Pulse500 : 2nd September 2020 at 12:28.
Pulse500 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 10:52   #35
Senior - BHPian

Installed this Belkin AC car charger in my earlier car a few years ago. While it fully served the purpose (as long as it lasted), the unit went kaput for no apparent reason within a couple of years. Unfortunately, the 'lifetime warranty' on the product was not honoured by the shop I bought this unit from. Also, the exhaust fan of the heavy-duty charger used to be quite loud. IMO, totally not worth INR 4k I paid for it.
Attached Thumbnails
How to charge a laptop in the car?-belkin_ac_anywhere_car_laptop_charger_1483061041_d1fe8d8d.jpg  

Old 4th November 2020, 13:01   #36

I have had the fortune/misfortune to use these devices to jumpstart a car and use it for charging a small laptop while in Ireland. Seemed to work flawlessly in both cases. I've seen similar offerings from DeWalt and Black and Decker. A bit of digging around will lead you to the right product/brand your prefer. Some even come with air compressors, though I haven't used a model with that feature. The whole point of it being kept in the car was that if anything was to take up space inside the car, might as well have it fo more than one thing if needed. Just make sure it's from a reputed hardware/electrical/automotive manufacturer and you'll be fine. Hope this helps someone.

https://www.amazon.com/Halo-Portable.../dp/B07FM85W13
Old 4th November 2020, 18:32   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Unfortunately, the 'lifetime warranty' on the product was not honoured by the shop I bought this unit from.
Did you try getting a replacement through Belkin authorised service center? I have had decent experience with them.
Old 5th November 2020, 15:52   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys,

How do I charge my Dell Latitude 7490 in a car? Any chargers or adapters? Thanks in advance!
Dear GTO / team Teambhp,

Thank you for giving me the opportunity of being part of this wonderful forum 🙏🏽

So I did a bit of research https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/amp.r...tion_question/

and turns out that the Dell Latitude 7490 can be charged via USB C - pl correct me if wrong

Would recommend Anker Powerdrive III duo
Unfortunately it’s currently not available on Amazon India
https://www.amazon.in/Anker-Charger-.../dp/B07RL2N8YY

If someone coming down from US then
Anker USB C Car Charger, 36W 2-Port PowerIQ 3.0 Type C Car Adapter, PowerDrive III Duo with Power Delivery for iPhone12/12Pro/11/11 Pro/11Pro Max/XR/Xs/Max/X, Galaxy S10/S9, Pixel, iPad Pro and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RL2N8YY..._m18OFbE8ME4WZ

Also, we’ve used Anker products in the past and can vouch for them

Products we have used are Anker dual USB ports wall chargers, USB A to lightning and USB A to micro USB cables, and dual USB A port car chargers
GTsunny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 22:30   #39
BHPian

Bumping an old thread...
I am considering buying a car inverter /Power Delivery Car Charger for my car, which will be brought from the US by a cousin.

Requirements-
1. Charge two OnePlus phones simultaneously.
2. Potentially charge an iPad (2019 model) at the same time.
3. If not iPad, charge a MacBook Air (2021 model C Type Charging Pin) instead.

Not sure which would be more useful as it appears all new Apple Devices have either Lightening or ThunderBolt pins only.

Advise appreciated.
Old 11th October 2021, 22:10   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

My grandparents often need to run medical equipments inside car like BP Monitor, Nebulizer etc. For that, I needed a reliable car inverter. Belkin was always on the list, but came across a compact Inverter listed on MGA's site.

How to charge a laptop in the car?-img20210901wa0021.jpg

Tried placing an order but I was told the part is in low supply. Thankfully Mahindra had the exact same stuff listed on their m2all site. Placed an order and the experience was hassle free and just like any other e-commerce site.

How to charge a laptop in the car?-20211011_211107.jpg

How to charge a laptop in the car?-20211011_211125.jpg

How to charge a laptop in the car?-20211011_211139.jpg

Initial impressions are good and I could easily charge my laptop using the AC port.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 22:02   #41

My HP ZBook comes with a thunderbolt port and I was able to use the type-C to type-C cable to directly charge my laptop using the type-C port provided in the 2nd row of the XUV 7OO.

Here is the Amazon link for the cable I procured:
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The cable is rated for 65W max capacity.
Old 9th December 2021, 07:32   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Initial impressions are good and I could easily charge my laptop using the AC port.
One thing I notice with all of these inverters are that they are modified sine wave inverters. Even the Belkin one is modified sine wave and not pure sine wave. Anyone ever came across a pure sine wave inverter for cars?
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks