Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2020, 12:21   #211
BHPian

Re: Which Laptop brand provides the best after-sales service & reliability in India?

I just got the same 16 inch last week, and getting the same 5 odd hours on brightness set to less than half. A lot of forums talk about the battery life improving after some usage and going upto 8-10 hours. Some folks say that let it completely discharge a couple of times.Trying out whatever people say, but so far, the battery life sucks.

I am connected to the Magic mouse, keyboard and Jabra the whole day though - but I still expect better battery life.
akshaymahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 06:33   #212
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Laptop brand provides the best after-sales service & reliability in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Hate the keyboard. I like keys with travel - the Macbook hardly has any travel.
The earlier butterfly mechanism had even lesser key travel. You will get used to it pretty soon and after that you will love it. My MacBook has the older butterfly mechanism and reliability problems aside (I havent had any issue) I absolutely love it and can also feel it when I use my iMac which is scissor-switch as your Macbook.

Quote:
- Love the huge trackpad. Am already using Mac gestures which I found quite user-friendly.
No windows trackpad comes even close. Its so good that using a mouse feels like a compromise.

Quote:
- Battery life sucks. Am getting just 5.xx hours. My current Dell goes to 8 hours easily.
Are you using chrome by any chance for browsing? Switch to Safari. Chrome is a known resource and therefore a battery hog.

Quote:
Also the speakers - easily the best laptop speakers I have ever heard.
It is not mentioned enough or stressed enough but the kind of sound Apple gets from speakers on their devices is borderline magic and its true for iPhone, iPad, iMac, homepod and my Apple watch as well!

Last edited by extreme_torque : 8th November 2020 at 06:36.
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 10:47   #213
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I have made the Macbook my daily from today. Parked the Dell as a backup computer. Reason = it was getting really annoying to use different gestures & keyboard shortcuts when switching - brain was getting all confused. I figured, let me just dive in deep and see how this works!

Which Laptop brand provides the best after-sales service & reliability in India?-20201109-07.29.17.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Are you using chrome by any chance for browsing? Switch to Safari. Chrome is a known resource and therefore a battery hog.
No man, cannot ditch Chrome. It is 80% of my working time. Too many apps, customisations & shortcuts.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 10:49   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

No man, cannot ditch Chrome. It is 80% of my working time. Too many apps, customisations & shortcuts.
Perhaps not a sudden move but gradual.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 14:28   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
My old Macbook Pro (Mid 2012) was getting heated up a lot making the fan spin at 6k rpm with the CPU temperature reaching near 100! I read up on all sorts of Macbook forums but couldn't diagnose the problem. After weeks, I figured out using Activity Monitor that Chrome is the root cause. Once I closed Chrome, the temperature came back to normal within a few minutes. I have switched from Chrome to Safari.
I am using Chrome for the last 4 years so I suppose some recent update to Chrome is causing this issue.
amit1agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 08:38   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
3 Years Warranty
Quote:

Any options to extend the warranty further? How is the after-sales rating?
Quote:
I have opted for 3 year complete cover(Accidental damage protection(ADP) + On Site warranty) for Rs. 14k. HP's aftersales is one of the best in the market IMO.
Quote:
+1. My Omen is almost 2 year old now, and is out of its 1 year factory warranty. And I saved lot of money when its fan blades broke recently.
Had another experience of HP's service, and an incident which cemented my belief of taking maximum possible warranty for consumer electronics, something like a laptop. As mentioned, I had opted for a 3 year comprehensive cover.

Our office has very poorly done earthing in some rooms, and I often avoid using wall outlets there. Many colleagues have faced Motherboards and other things conking off, it's as if the rooms are haunted.

Still I took my chances and almost instantly, some keys of my keyboard stopped working. Did all the diagnostics and came to the conclusion that the keyboard deck will need replacement. Thankfully I still had 4 months of warranty left.

Logging in the case was extremely easy and they sent in an engineer with new keyboard within 48 hours of complain. Unfortunately in Omen, the entire laptop needs to be disassembled to get to the keyboard. The engineer I chose was an old friend and I've been knowing him since 2007. Long story cut short, he replaced the part in about an hour. I was told this new part costs almost 30k if purchased out of warranty since it houses many other components and also forms the main chassis of the laptop.

Which Laptop brand provides the best after-sales service & reliability in India?-capture.jpg

Old part

Which Laptop brand provides the best after-sales service & reliability in India?-20210702_150758.jpg

New part

Which Laptop brand provides the best after-sales service & reliability in India?-20210702_145921.jpg

Which Laptop brand provides the best after-sales service & reliability in India?-20210702_145934.jpg

Also my laptop's battery has swollen a lot, and I've been advised replacement. Unfortunately battery and adapters aren't covered after 1st year, so will have to bear the cost. HP has given me a quote of Rs. 10k for this replacement. This particular battery isn't easily available in open market, hence the monopolistic charges. Lapgadgets is selling it for ~4k rupees and they promise it's a genuine HP spare, let's see.

Which Laptop brand provides the best after-sales service & reliability in India?-capture1.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks